Whole 30 #2. Hoping to stick to it this time!!

BJS12345

"snack: strawberries, grapes and coconut flakes

Not best choice, but really wanted it."

For some reason this made me laugh. I like your confidence and the way you honor your cravings without slipping. How uncomfortable to be totally STUFFED after dinner. Yuck! I hope it evens out a bit. You did your 3 meals though....maybe you truly do need just less food?!

Have a great day!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 8:

Pre wo : 1 oz chicken breast

Wo: 15 min HIIT on Stairmaster

3 -4 min tabata sets

Post wo/ M1: b

black decaf coffee with 1 tsp coconut oil, 2 eggs. 2 eggwhites, kale, mushrooms cooked in coconut oil , water, brussels sprouts

Ate my M1 earlier today. I was really hungry this morning. Usually try to wait until at least 8 to eat M1.

M2: same salad as always.

M3: ? Yet

Once again, slept well and feel great today. I really think that no sugar = less stress for me. That keeps me from wanting sugar more than anything.

Still don't think I'm losing weight. Bummed about that.

• Moderators

Still don't think I'm losing weight. Bummed about that.

My first Whole30, I didn't feel like I was losing any weight until the very last few days. Day 8-9 is listed on the timeline as "For the love of Gosling, my pants are TIGHTER!" so keep that in mind too. Basically, weight loss is not a linear thing, it depends on so many factors -- what you've eaten (brussel sprouts, for instance, could make you feel bloated and "heavy" feeling), digestive stuff, water retention, hormonal stuff. Just trust the process, keep eating according to the meal template, and don't stress about it.

My first Whole30, I didn't feel like I was losing any weight until the very last few days. Day 8-9 is listed on the timeline as "For the love of Gosling, my pants are TIGHTER!" so keep that in mind too. Basically, weight loss is not a linear thing, it depends on so many factors -- what you've eaten (brussel sprouts, for instance, could make you feel bloated and "heavy" feeling), digestive stuff, water retention, hormonal stuff. Just trust the process, keep eating according to the meal template, and don't stress about it.

Thanks for the words of comfort!  I do think that Brussels sprouts make me very bloated, but they are sooo good roasted with olive oil and sea salt.

I guess if its just temporary and wont prevent me from losing weight, I can deal with the bloat.

I'm a little disgusted with my Whole 30 right now. That's why I haven't written. Technically I'm now on Day 2 bc I blew it with icecream on Monday night. I just haven't decided what to do because I have a special occasion on May 16th and I know I'm going to want to eat the cake! So do I do it until then and then start again? Or challenge myself not to eat the cake? I think I might just try to stick to it until then and see what happens. So, Day 1 and day 2 have been good. Eating the usual.

M1: eggs and vegetables and sometimes a quarter of an avocado

M2: salad with nuts avocado chicken and egg white.

M3: asparagus, brussels sprouts, 3oz chicken and half small sweet potato.

I know exactly how you feel!! Don't be too hard on yourself. I recommend sticking to it now. For me, if I tell myself I'm waiting until that special food event passes I end up eating like a maniac and it becomes a free for all. I'm super impressed that you got right back on. I did the same thing this go-round when I slipped. Usually I give myself 2 days to binge (lol!) but I was right back on the next meal so in my mind I don't really feel like I totally lost all the previous days. Who knows...when you get to the 16th you might find the cake isn't worth it and you'll be well on your way to completing your 30 days.

Day 3:

WO: Jillian Michaels 30 day shred level 2

Post wo: black decaf w coconut oil

M1: 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 c chopped spinich, quarter avacado, 2 mushrooms. 1 tsp coconut oil, Water

M2: spring mix, grape tomatoes red pepper, baby carrots, quarter avacado,2.5 oz chicken, 10 almonds, ceaser dressing, 1hb egg white.

Wearing jeans that I bought 10 pounds ago. Not happy with the fit. Really want to lose some belly and hip fat. Have to keep watching dinner portions and what I am eating after I get home from work. I think that's the key for my weight loss.

Day 4:

Pre-wo: 1 oz salmon

WO: 30 min HIIT ln Stairmaster

32 oz water

M1: 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, mushrooms, kale, black coffee, coconut oil, 1 oz salmon, quarter avacado

M2: salad w 2 oz chicken, 10 almonds, quarter avacado, egg white, red pepper, tomatoes, 6 baby carrots, cabbage, ceasar dressing.

M3; spinich in coconut oil, 1/3 sweet potato, cod

Feeling good on the Whole 30. Would be day 12, but only on day 4.

Ended up going out to eat and having salad w roasted red peppers, one baked chicken wing wo the skin and about 1 serving of compliant sausage. Took kids to DQ afterwards for blizzards. My daughter didn't finish her m&m blizzard and I threw it away. I wanted it so bad but I had some raspberries and 4 large grapes instead. Glad now that I didn't blow it again!!

Holy cow!!! That took some serious will power....nice job. It's been a busy weekend. Went to the mall and coveted everything everybody was eating. Stayed strong and got a salad from au bon pain. My husband has been doing this with me and tomorrow he'll be giving up coffee along with everything else. I have no intentions of giving up coffee anytime soon...however, I thinks it's time for me to say goodbye to nuts as a stand alone food choice. I'll allow myself nuts in my salad and almond butter on celery or carrots, but only one of those options a day. I actually do believe I'm gaining wait and, as much as I said it didn't matter, it does! (of course this is that special time of the month when I don't see things realistically and I'm a little on the bloated side--lol!)

I think I'm at Day 1 again tomorrow. I'm not sure what's wring with me lately. My sweet tooth is definitly getting the best of me. I have 20 days until my daughters Bat mitzvah and I have to crack down. My dress is a little snug and I'd like to have a flatter stomach in it. Any words of inspiration would be appreciated. It was so much easier the first time!!

Eat more fat. Honestly. You have to eat fat to lose fat - plus fat will keep those cravings at bay, and keep you satiated for longer. And if you *do* have cravings DO NOT GIVE IN by eating fruit, dried fruit or nuts/nut butters.

You're better than this.

Embrace the fat.

Eat more fat. Honestly. You have to eat fat to lose fat - plus fat will keep those cravings at bay, and keep you satiated for longer. And if you *do* have cravings DO NOT GIVE IN by eating fruit, dried fruit or nuts/nut butters.

You're better than this.

Embrace the fat.

She does mean the good dietary fats.     Embrace the good dietary fats and do not use nuts or nut butters as your primary fat source on a Whole 30.  They'll work against what you're working for.   Nuts, nut butters are the two most overused sources of fat.  Go for the other sources.   Avocado trumps nuts.  Coconut oil, Macadamia Nut oil,  Olive oil, bacon fat...these will serve you better than fruits and nuts.  

[quote name="jmcbn" post="284229" timestamp="1430078288

You're better than this.

Ok, I'm ready. No fruit after dinner. Eat more fat!! Defy that sugar dragon!! I can do it!!

Btw...my daughter is baking brownies for my son tomorrow because he asked her to. Yay!! Get to use my will power. I really should live by myself!! Staying off the sweets would be so much easier if they weren't in my house!!!!

Whole 30, here I come!!!! I'm better than this!!

http://whole9life.com/2012/04/change-your-habits-part-2-willpower/

When those cravings come up, do what the 4-year-olds did: distract yourself until the craving passes.

• Physically remove or obscuring the temptation in question, placing it out of sight or ignoring it. If you can’t remove the temptation, physically remove yourself from the temptation.
  • Make a list of five distraction techniques you can use the next time your craving hits. Really, make a list. Keep it handy. When your cue(s) pop up, refer to your list, and then do one of those things.
  • Your list might include: going for a 5 minute walk, calling a friend, reading 10 pages in your book, writing a thank you card, filing your nails, eating something healthy, chatting with a co-worker, cleaning something, organizing something, or planning tonight’s dinner.

Got it? We use the cues we learned from our two-week experiment to help us predict when our One Bad Habit is going to pop up. We arrange our environment so we’re tapping into our willpower “bank” as little as possible throughout the course of the day. And then, when the cravings to give into our One Bad Habit do pop up – we pretend they’re marshmallows, and we distract until the craving passes.

The good news is that according to a variety of studies on drug, cigarette and alcohol addiction, the average craving lasts only 3-5 minutes.

We can keep ourselves busy for that long, can’t we?

What’s Next?

What’s next for you is that you practice this stuff, in an effort to continue to rid yourself to your One Bad Habit. What’s next for us is more writing and researching. The next article in our habit series is coming soon – we’ll identify the back end of your One Bad Habit (the reward you get from acting on that behavior). The key to finding a new routine to satisfy that reward is knowing that sometimes, what you think you want and what you actually get are two different things.

To read other posts in our Coming Clean series, related to addiction, eating disorders and food-related compulsions, click here.

cor-100056.jpg  Have you ever tasted this wonderful olive oil?  I think it's some of the best tasting and it's not overly expensive.  Reasonable.  It would be far better to take a couple teaspoons of this when you're craving sweets than to eat nuts, nut butters and fruits.  Put a teaspoon in your green tea.  You don't have to have this with food.  Take it as needed when the cravings are intense.  

Same with this oil.  It's wonderful.   Have a teaspoon in your coffee or tea.  Take it straight.  Whenever  you have an intense craving you can't get rid of...take a teaspoon of oil.  It will smother it.  You're not going to chug an entire bottle of Olive or  MacNut Oil.  You won't.

This is my craving cure.  I've used these two oils for 11 months.  I've not went on a food bender of any kind in over a year.  Zero.  Zip.  Nadda.  None.  I've been using good dietary fats to smother cravings for sugar and carbs.  It works.

Mac_Nut_Oil_Banner.jpg?t=1405693722

I'm never without these oils on hand.  I have one of each in the cupboard and one of each reserved back in my food closet.   I make sure they're replaced when I'm down.  These are the finest oils and they have worked so well for me.  

You want to starve the Sugar Dragon and smother out those cravings.   If you'll start tomorrow, you'll soon find yourself not thinking about what the kids are baking.  You'll be able to distract yourself much easier.  Just a spoonful of oil makes the medicine go down.   Think of it as medicine for the head and belly.  It's soothing on the stomach.

You can use coconut oil, too.... but these other two are easy on the belly.

MeadowLily-what awesome support you're giving. Thank you for the way you encourage us on the Whole30!!

jmcbn--I needed to hear the advice to stay away from nuts, fruits and nutbutters as well.

BJS12345--You can do this!!!! What an exciting event and you still have almost 20 days to reset your body and find yourself in a good place. I know what you mean by living alone......there is so much temptation with children in the house.....uggh! Distract and remove yourself whenever possible.

Keep posting.

Archived