Gluten Free and Weight Loss

I've completed 2 Whole 30's and I know wheat causes me eczema and dairy isn't good for my allergies. Would eating gluten free bread, and/or wraps be harmful to weight loss? I love how my inflammation is gone and my doctor cut my blood pressure medication in half, after only 2 months eating Whole 30. Sometimes I want a "bread" wrap, instead of a romaine lettuce one. And sometimes I want a piece of cinnamon toast. Can I lose weight on gluten free breads? Will it cause inflammation? That wouldn't be worth it. I don't eat anything else processed. Thanks for any input. This past year has truly been a revelation in how my body works. At 58 yrpears young, I've never felt better, and don't want to jeapordize that a bit.

It's now an experiment of one for you, to figure out how eating off-plan foods affect you: weight-wise, physically, psychologically, and craving-wise.

I would look at why you feel you want a bread-like product so much, and experiment with whether it makes you feel more healthy or less healthy.

• Administrators

Based on my own experience which I just shared in another thread, gluten free bread (rice flour and buckwheat) caused me, besides some bathroom issues and bloating, sadness, anxiety, depression and emotional instability. I was NOT expecting those emotional results and would suggest it's something to stay attuned to. For me, that makes gluten free bread off limits forever more.

Often times, the gluten is replaced with sugars in the form of flour substitutes.  Check out all of the gluten free baking mixes at your health food store.   The tapioca flour, and all of the other flour substitutes raise blood sugars just like sugar.  Gluten  free baked goods and paleo snacks can be a real hit for the pancreas.  Companies are jumping on the gluten free wagon but you'll have to weigh/whey out the consequences.

• Administrators

PS, the addition of that gluten free bread for me for a week breathed life into my sugar dragon and it came roaring back stronger than ever.  Fortunately for me, Whole30 is a dragon-slayer and in a couple days things were right again!

I'd add to all of the above that we are programmed to think we *need* bread (& pasta) in our lives because they are such a huge part of the SAD (oh the irony) diet. But I can guarantee that after a short time with no bread (or any kind of GF or paleo substitute) that your brain re-programmes itself and finds more interesting/nourishing things to eat.

It's all about habits - breaking old ones & developing new & improved ones. 

Thank you everyone for the comments. Today I a terrible headache from the gluten free slice of tapioca bread. I also noticed I felt "down" today. Ladyshanny, thanks for commenting on that, I didn't think that would be an issue either. The bloating is back, and I HATE that feeling!! Back to my whole food diet--it works the BEST for me and my body!! Thanks for all the insights. I hope you have continued success in the future. I know I'm looking forward to receiving the new Whole 30 book tomorrow. Thanks again, June  :D

Here's a real game changer.    :P  :D 

http://fortune.com/2015/04/20/kraft-is-removing-synthetic-colors-from-its-iconic-mac-cheese/

This changes everything.  :P 

I think it's good that producers are responding to market pressures.  "Voting with your wallet" has long been a powerful way to get things done.  I've read that breakfast cereal is experiencing a slump as well.  Producers taking dyes and HFCS out of their products is better than adding more stuff in I guess.

Archived