Favorite uses for lard and tallow

Munkers

The husband and I have taken the plunge on a trial membership to Thrive Market and placed our first order Sunday night. Among other things, I've got a jar of pastured lard and a jar of grassfed tallow coming.

So, besides as just an all-purpose cooking fat, what's your favorite way to use either of the above? When do you choose one over the other? What's your favorite veggie or meal to whip up with either of these?

• Administrators

I'm thinking that one of the first things I'm going to do is toss the lard onto a bunch of potatoes and roast the suckers.

I'm curious how you like that.  I thought lard would be PERFECT for roasting veggies but overall I've found that they didn't really get....er...roasty enough for me.  Obviously I'm doing it wrong, let me know how yours go!

I'm curious how you like that.  I thought lard would be PERFECT for roasting veggies but overall I've found that they didn't really get....er...roasty enough for me.  Obviously I'm doing it wrong, let me know how yours go!

My mum always par-boils hers first & then roasts them. In fairness she uses duck fat, but I'm guessing it's all in the prep rather than the fat?

• Administrators

I do roast potatoes about once a week and I love them, they are crispy and roasty on the outside and creamy on the inside (I do with avo oil).  I should try again with lard, maybe it needs a higher temp?

I've tried roasting potatoes with avocado oil, coconut oil, and butter and so far haven't been able to replicate the amazing golden brown deliciousness that a roasted potato should have. They're still yummy, but not as pretty. One time I managed to get them crispy/crunchy, but the color wasn't as deep as expected.

I found out today that my order shipped. Since they send it FedEx, I think I should have goodies by this weekend. :)

My husband fries, cooks and bakes with lard.  He makes his own french fries and yes, he uses lard for roasting.  He rubs the outside potato peelings with lard and places everything on top of a bed of kosher salt.  That's how we roast all of our sweet, purple, white potatoes.   The outsides are nice and crunchy.   Salt is needed to draw all of the excess moisture out.  This is how it's done at fancy schmancy restaurants, too.

Crank the oven up to about 450 if you want real crunch...medium crunch at 400.

My husband fries, cooks and bakes with lard.  He makes his own french fries and yes, he uses lard for roasting.  He rubs the outside potato peelings with lard and places everything on top of a bed of kosher salt.  That's how we roast all of our sweet, purple, white potatoes.   The outsides are nice and crunchy.   Salt is needed to draw all of the excess moisture out.  This is how it's done at fancy schmancy restaurants, too.

So the roasting pan is covered in salt and the lard-coated potatoes placed on top?

I'm intrigued.

• Administrators

So the roasting pan is covered in salt and the lard-coated potatoes placed on top?

I'm intrigued.

REALLY!  I have never heard of this technique before!  So does he slice them into cubes or "fingers" before laying them on the salt?  Could you do it with baby potatoes, I wonder?

Bear is the best cook in the world.   Lay at least 1/2 inch or more kosher salt down into a large baking pan with sides that are 2-4 inches high. We do not puncture any holes whatsover into the potatoes.  Never puncture the potatoes and they are not sliced in half.  If you want crunchy skins, leave them intact in their natural born wrappers.  (Puncturing potatoes lets the pressure off all of their goodness -  for tender baked potatoes, never poke holes in the lil things).

Rub each potato lovingly with lard on the outside of peelings.  Place them gently onto the salt and don't move them around once they're in their supine position.   Slide gently into the oven,  shut the door and take a deep breath.   Roast those babies on 425-450 for super crunch and 400 for medium crunch.

Dance around the house and sing while they're roasting.   

Yes, roast tatties need to be blasted in a furnace hot oven, 200c or so. I par boil mine then shake them up while draining them so they get all bashed up then place them into a roasting pan full of smoking hot duck or goose fat then roast until golden, crispy and delectable. 

I do roast potatoes about once a week and I love them, they are crispy and roasty on the outside and creamy on the inside (I do with avo oil).  I should try again with lard, maybe it needs a higher temp?

Archived