Feeling desperate and out of control

I started a whole30 on 2/24. After completing the 30 days I knew I needed more time and continued on for 60 days. In the last week I have done minimal reintroductions. I had a glass of wine last Saturday and I have ice cream cake on my daughters birthday on Thursday. My plan is to continue to eat following the whole30 template and to allow off roading infrequently and for occasions like my daughters birthday. I had some minimal weight loss early on in the program which basically stalled after the first two weeks. I removed nuts from my diet and I saw very minimal results. I also realized that I was really struggling to get though the time between lunch and dinner which was often a 6-7 hour gap. The last two days I have added a snack between lunch and dinner (hard boiled egg, avocado and carrots, etc.). So I was ok with minimal/slow weight loss. I have about 80 pounds to lose so I have to lose as part of following the whole30 lifestyle.

So why am I desparate??? For no apparent reason I am now gaining weight. I am consumed with feelings of failure and depression. I feel that I don't have any options left. I did post a few days ago about the fact that my sleep is interrupted all night because I am getting up to go to the bathroom every 2-3 hours. I have an appointment to see a urologist on Tuesday. Below is a sample of my typical day. I am about 5' 10" and weigh 250. The amounts of food below are what I need to feel satisfied for 4 hours between meals,

M1: 4 eggs, 2 sausages, half sweet potato, whole avocado, veggie

M2: bowl of greens topped with whole chicken breast, whole avocado, Apple, 1/4 cup diced prosciutto and olive oil

Snack: two hard boiled eggs

M3: chicken or burger, whole sweet potato, 1-2 veggies, coconut or coconut cream topped with coconut

I am crying as I sit here typing this. I was ok with slow weight loss because I have never in my life felt satisfied after a meal for 4 hours. I have never been free of cravings for food before starting this program. Why isn't this working for me? This is not the way I expected to feel after 70 days. I feel like I am headed to back where I started and I have no way of stopping it and no other plan to follow. Please help!

I'm so sorry about how you're currently feeling.

Poor sleep could be impacting your weight loss here.

Is there anything in your medical history that could be hindering things now? How is your current stress level? Have you had your thyroid or adrenals checked?

I am really hoping that the sleep issues are what is causing this. I don't have any thing in my medical history that could be hindering my weight loss. I am on blood test results from my primary care physician. I do not know if the blood work tested my thyroid/adrenal but I will have to take this further if it didn't. My stress level is no worse than normal life stressors. I am home taking care of my 4 kids including a 20 month old which makes everything a challenge!!!! I am going to continue on this pathe because although I am feeling out of control with my weight but my eating has never been so in control! Does it seem like I am eating too much?

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Have you tried eating a little less fat?  You are eating 2 whole avocados, sausage (which may be fatty - I'm not sure if they are pork or turkey), olive oil, coconut cream and coconut... Are you filling your plate with veggies at meals?  Fat is satiating but maybe try titrating down just a little bit at a time and see if you can still stay full with just a little less fat at each meal.  

I'd tend to agree with littleg - I think your fat:vegetable ratio looks high. You could maybe try half an avocado at each meal, rather than a full one, and up your veg intake? And opt for coconut or coconut cream rather than both. Or how about dropping the coconut and opting for olives? 

Eating nutritious healthy food is never goning to be the wrong thing to do, but your meals maybe just need some tweaking to work better for you.

If you find you're feeling hungry by reducing the fat & upping the veg I'd maybe try upping your protein more next, before going back to more fat - just to see how it goes.... Good luck!

I don't know why you're gaining weight.  Our bodies do weird things sometimes, but hang in there!  It's sure to turn around.  And at the very least, at least you're giving your body healthy fuel even if you aren't losing weight (I know that part really sucks) but you don't want to turn around and go back to oreos and big macs (or whatever your food of choice was prior to whole30).  Are you exercising? Drinking enough water?  Maybe you should speak to a nutritionist in your area for a personalized bit of help.  Hang in there, you're doing great!! :)

It looks like the avocados could be the problem. 2 whole ones a day is pretty high in calories. I have about 75 lbs to lose and just started my Whole30 yesterday, but I have major portion distortion and need to be really careful that I'm actually eating a serving of something and not three servings of something.

Aside from a a medical problem, it takes a calorie deficit to lose weight. So if you're gaining weight, you don't have the deficit and are eating more than you should (since losing weight is a goal.). Check your portion sizes and make sure you're creating that deficit. One can easily overeat on all healthy foods.

Mom...with your stats, I don't see a problem with your template amounts.  You are 5'10".   Your amounts appear in the pocket, they really do.  

Don't snack.   It's just not worth it.   This is for anyone who wants a weight release.

Add all snack foods to your main meal.    Eat them there to develop discipline...then cut them out.  That includes nuts, nut butters and dried fruits...cut them entirely.

Snacking inbetween meals is going to the Wrecking Ball of a Whole 30.

Here's how anyone can "Stop Yourself Before you Wreck Yourself".   If you are truly hungry, eat something satisfying with a good amount of protein and a nice dollop of fat.   Not something TEENY TINY but an actual meal.

This is hard because inside we tend to be perfectionists... right up until the moment we go on a Thrill Eating Bender and everything falls apart into a massive spree or binge.

What you did was super, super smart.   You are bouncing back with good decisions!

A couple of weeks of Whole 30 will get you back in the groove.   For anyone who strays too far from the plan while you're working  on a weight release, this will bring quality food management back into your life. It's all about positive food management.

You don't even have to concentrate on exercise at the same time you're getting back to business.   This is your reboot.   If we get our meals under management...we start to feel wonderful and want to exercise.   During a Whole 30 Reboot, it's all about making good choices and doing whatever it takes to get it done.

Get a daily dose of encouragement and inspiration.  Visit the forum.  I have strong reactions to music and consciously use music as a food replacement.   Books, movies and music.  Find replacements that work for you.   

Look back at what you did in the beginning of your Whole 30.   If you kept any journals, blogs or photos, review those.   Now do all of those things you did right at the start until you feel you're back in the groove.  It can help to get back to the beginning and REBOOT.

I'm in a similar boat. I've been eating compliant but apparently heavy on the portions and zippo on the exercise and daily movement.. I put 7 pounds on the last 6 weeks..  

Thank you to everyone who responded. My exercising has been sporadic. I exercised more before whole 30. It's been harder since I started whole 30 for a number of reasons but most importantly because I have injured myself. I am finally coming to accept that I need to take a break from running. I am going to start using the weight machines at the gym and have an appointment scheduled with a trainer next week to set everything up. Before whole 30 I would have just kept running so this is definitely progress for me!

I've done Whole30s like this - lots of fat and a fair amount of sweet potato - and I never lose weight. It works better to knock down one or the other. So, either keep the fat but take out the starchy veggies/fruit (so low carb or even keto) or keep the fat low and leave your carb moderate (more like a Cordain approach). But having both is just going to stall you. Play around with it, something is bound to work!

Good luck with your doctor's appointment. After you see him or her you may feel less overwhelmed in general. And hopefully you have found a way of eating that works for you but just need to tweak it a bit. 

Archived