A little flour to thicken my stew?

Elizabeth.91

• Moderators

Even small amounts of the foods that are banned during a Whole30 stop the healing process and keep you from achieving the magic that has made the Whole30 popular. Lots of diets ask you to minimize the bad stuff. That approach helps a little, but completely eliminating problem foods for 30 days is necessary to let your body fully heal from the damage done by inflammatory and disruptive foods... foods like flour. 

• Moderators

A helpful suggestion - use some of the potatoes or carrots or rutabagas or turnips or sweet potatoes in your stew to smash against the side, that thickens it quite nicely. IF you don't have those veggies already in your stew, cut and boil some up, smash them and add. Allow the stew to simmer awhile to meld the flavors.

• Administrators

non grain based flours are non compliant if you are going to bake with them. Using them to thicken a sauce or stew or even using them as part of a dredging for chicken fingers etc is totally fine.

Is potato flour compliant? I thought any non-grain based flour was appropriate?

you can use potato flour to thicken a stew if you wish. I find potato flour makes a gluey texture, so I don't recommend it, but it is permitted on the whole30.

My husband has used tapioca flour (aka tapioca starch) in sauces such as gravy when I'm on a Whole 30. Tapioca seems to work well for that purpose, kind of gives it a smooth texture while thickening. I've also used tapioca flour mixed with scrambled eggs to dip bananas and fry them in coconut oil as part of a tasty breakfast (combined with eggs and a vegetable).

Archived