Starting May 25th

Guest bfree11

Guest bfree11

Day 34 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 strawberries, 4 cherries

Lunch: kale salad, pesto chicken

Dinner: chicken, broccoli, spaghetti squash bowl (restaurant)

Exercise: Yoga

I had a smaller breakfast today because I was going straight to yoga, so I didn't want anything too heavy. In the afternoon, I went to a BBQ and huge Pride Parade, where there was alcohol and junk food EVERYWHERE. I saw chips and hot dogs and I kept thinking, "maybe I'll just try ONE chip." But I knew that one chip would turn into 50 chips and a stomach ache, so I didn't go there. I did, however, drink some alcohol (3 drinks total). I felt a little pressured because people kept handing me drinks. I chose the lowest calorie options and drank slowly. I noticed people around me were constantly getting a refill, but I just kept sipping. It was sort of a "when in Rome" situation. Drinking is not part of my typical lifestyle and I don't particularly enjoy it. I do think that next time I'm in a situation like that, I could be better prepared to say no, and drink some club soda or something. I was proud of myself for not eating any of the food.

After the parade, we went out for dinner. I had a couple drinks and I felt a craving for something unhealthy... I think this was because that used to be what happened after drinking, unhealthy eating. My friend insisted that we go to this healthy restaurant (thank god). They have wraps and noodle bowls, and I was seriously considering a little splurge, but somehow, when it was time to order, I just got the Fitness Bowl, chicken, broccoli, spaghetti squash. 

Overall, I think I did pretty well today, especially with food, but I did learn some things that I can improve on in big drinking/social situations, which luckily I rarely encounter. 

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bfree11

Day 35 (of healthy eating)

Late Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, onion, 3 strawberries, 4 cherries

Early Dinner: pesto, chicken, kale salad

Exercise: Yoga

Pretty mellow Sunday.

I find myself eating pretty much Whole 30 still. I'd love to eat some ice cream or something, but I just haven't. I want to be as healthy as possible so that I can keep up my weight loss momentum. I'm going to have dessert on my birthday in a few weeks and then I have to force myself to get right back on track the next day. I want to be sure not to make myself feel deprived at all, since this is now my lifestyle, but I want to be sure that the choices I make are thoughtful and meaningful.

I'm considering starting a blog. My journey is becoming something bigger than just Whole 30, my whole life is changing, especially the way I feel about myself. I still want to keep communicating here on the forum, but when that eventually dwindles away, I want to still have a place to log my journey to health and happiness. I wonder if anyone would read it, or even if I'd want people to read it! I was thinking I could post all the things I've written here in a "Whole 30" section, and then have an area for "Life after Whole 30." I could post pictures, recipes, milestones, etc. But I also sort of feel like there's a million blogs out there, so what's the point... What do you guys think about blogs? Should I do it?

Guest bfree11

Late Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, onion, 3 strawberries, 4 cherries

Early Dinner: pesto, chicken, kale salad

Exercise: Yoga

Pretty mellow Sunday.

I find myself eating pretty much Whole 30 still. I'd love to eat some ice cream or something, but I just haven't. I want to be as healthy as possible so that I can keep up my weight loss momentum. I'm going to have dessert on my birthday in a few weeks and then I have to force myself to get right back on track the next day. I want to be sure not to make myself feel deprived at all, since this is now my lifestyle, but I want to be sure that the choices I make are thoughtful and meaningful.

I'm considering starting a blog. My journey is becoming something bigger than just Whole 30, my whole life is changing, especially the way I feel about myself. I still want to keep communicating here on the forum, but when that eventually dwindles away, I want to still have a place to log my journey to health and happiness. I wonder if anyone would read it, or even if I'd want people to read it! I was thinking I could post all the things I've written here in a "Whole 30" section, and then have an area for "Life after Whole 30." I could post pictures, recipes, milestones, etc. But I also sort of feel like there's a million blogs out there, so what's the point... What do you guys think about blogs? Should I do it?

Late Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, onion, 3 strawberries, 4 cherries

Early Dinner: pesto, chicken, kale salad

Exercise: Yoga

Pretty mellow Sunday.

I think you would do a wonderful blog and lots of people could learn from you....yes you should blog

hellooooo everyone. I've been reading everyone's posts since day 31. Looks like everyone is doing awesome. I'm finally getting around to posting myself. So day 31 I weighed myself. Can't lie I was a little bit disappointed. I lost 6 lbs. It's really not bad but of course I am always hoping for more. I do really feel like those 6 lbs are fat and not water weight or anything superficial because my clothes really are fitting looser and with water weight I've never felt the difference. I also was doing a ton of crossfit during my first whole30 and I think that contributed to more weight loss that time, though not that much different. I'm adding in more exercise now since I feel like my blood sugar and tiredness if finally behind me. 

I didn't take my after pics yet. Partly because I wanted to wear the exact same undergarments as before and laundry must be done. I think the other part is because I'm afraid I won't notice a difference but I plan to take them in the next few days.

Today I got a compliment from a coworker. That's two now and I'll take it. Feels good!

Life after whole 30 hasn't changed much. I didn't reintroduce anything until last night. I had 2 gluten free beers. Today I'm not feeling any affects and the beers were pretty tasty (omission lager). I will say I think I felt the alcohol though. Today it's back to being clean. I almost feel intimidated by making choices. Nothing has seemed worth it yet and I don't really want to buy something to purposely have it even if I don't want it. Bfree11 I don't know if I could have thrown out that cheese but awesome for you!!! Don't sweat the yucca fries, I'm sure we will all have struggles with stumbling. Don't be hard on yourself you've had great mindset changes already with the cheese and nori wrap (which now I want to try to make by the way).Yesterday at work we had a big picnic pot luck. I thought I would at least do a cheeseburger but just went with the patty with fresh guac instead. I kept thinking that nothing would taste as good as I thought it would in my head. I am curious to see how long I really can keep this up. 

So I brought up sex with your pants on before and a lot of you seem to want to stick to the meal template if you add something or not. I agree totally. I think the things I meant were something like a paleo pancake or two but still having eggs and veggies. Or having a paleo wrap for a sandwich. I've been thinking about vegan/paleo cheese sauce for veggies. Just cashews and nutritional yeast but I avoided it during the 30 because I felt like it was a crutch. All of these things don't really add much to our meals but give us variety and maybe a way to feel more normal. I would love some taco meat and guac in a wrap for once instead of just a bowl. But maybe I'm just justifying things?

I'm glad people are still posting because I really am feeling like this is more my lifestyle now and it feels good. I did NOT do this after my first whole 30. I saw the change and then went back to adding in a bunch of junk. Also I am one of the married folks and my husband really hasn't complained yet. It may be because we don't eat breakfast or lunch together and we pack our own for work so he does his thing and I do mine. At night if I cook he will eat anything I make and if he's grilling or cooking he's been nice and ask what I want or what I can have. Veggies and protein are pretty easy for us and he is on board with ghee. Weekends are harder because he can snack and not me :(

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I totally understand what you mean about things like a paleo sandwich wrap or cashew cheese, and to be honest, I think those are great replacements. Cashew or nutritional yeast cheese can make a meal better, but I'm not going to continue eating it on its own ya know? I also tried looking for Paleo wraps but they are more than I want to spend on Amazon, so anything I would put on a sandwich I end up making into a salad. I think the treats are where I'll need to tread lightly as I am not strong enough yet to put down the fork.

We went exploring again this weekend, which of course means eating out. I thought I did good finding compliant restaurants, but had some struggles. The place I found for lunch looked great, but the menu was all in German and on chalkboards behind a counter which means translating it was really difficult so we left. We ended up going to the place I had picked out for dinner and my meal was just fine. It came with French fries and I ended having some, but not too many, I didn't feel guilty and I didn't overeat. However, Germans friggin love their ice cream in the afternoon and EVERYONE was walking around with cones or cups or siting next to us at the restaurant... I really wanted it badly.

For dinner we had some issues finding a place I thought I could eat at. I found a place online, but when we arrived the menu wasn't exactly as it translated so once I took out the non-compliant options I wasn't left with much. I found a stuffed chicken thing that I made sure didn't have cheese, and it came with a salad and a baked potato. I made sure the salad was only oil and vinegar, and I told her I couldn't have dairy and she said I was good. Of course No where on the menu did it say the chicken was breaded! I spent a good 20 minutes scraping off the breading, my husband felt so bad because he had suggested that meal to me. I didn't even think to ask, it didn't say fried or anything.

For breakfast, our hotel had even more limited options than normal. Luckily they had hard boiled eggs and some fruit but that was it, so I was not happy. I had to come to work on my way home today and there is a macaroni grill on base. I looked up their gluten free options and made sure there was no dairy but of course I'm not sure of other ingredients. I had their warm spinach salad with shrimp and it was really good. The only thing that frustrated me was that I asked the waitress (American) what the salad dressing was because I wanted to make sure it didn't have dairy, she said nope, no dairy. Well she could have mentioned that they put parmesan cheese on the salad! Luckily I thought to ask only a minute before the salad was brought out (bc I could see them making it) and I caught them before they put it on. I didn't specifically tell the girl about any restrictions, but I did mention no dairy so it made me upset that I almost had another meal go to awry.

Anyway, I understand that going out to eat on the Whole 30 is difficult, but we travel a lot and sometimes we just don't want to cook. Its frustrating to realize how difficult it might be if I want to continue eating this way... but oh well, rant over.

Rebecca, as far as blogging, I find that blogs really helped me figure out the hang of the whole 30. The typical recipe blogs come from folks who already know everything and they're not as geared towards newbies, so I'll bet whatever you write will be helpful to others. Plus it will probably help with your personal process.

I think that writing has been part of your journey. You're a very good writer and you have meaningful things to say. The fact that there are a million blogs out there is irrelevant. You write because it reinforces the changes that you are experiencing. You might not be the next Big Blog, but I think it's kind of like working out - you never regret going to the gym and you won't ever regret writing what you are experiencing. It provides a record of your journey and will also help you to see what you want your future to be. Even if you don't start a public blog, I hope you keep writing. You have a voice that should be heard and acknowledged.

Just my thoughts as someone who has been reading your Whole 30 posts since the beginning.

Guest bfree11

I totally understand what you mean about things like a paleo sandwich wrap or cashew cheese, and to be honest, I think those are great replacements. Cashew or nutritional yeast cheese can make a meal better, but I'm not going to continue eating it on its own ya know? I also tried looking for Paleo wraps but they are more than I want to spend on Amazon, so anything I would put on a sandwich I end up making into a salad. I think the treats are where I'll need to tread lightly as I am not strong enough yet to put down the fork.

We went exploring again this weekend, which of course means eating out. I thought I did good finding compliant restaurants, but had some struggles. The place I found for lunch looked great, but the menu was all in German and on chalkboards behind a counter which means translating it was really difficult so we left. We ended up going to the place I had picked out for dinner and my meal was just fine. It came with French fries and I ended having some, but not too many, I didn't feel guilty and I didn't overeat. However, Germans friggin love their ice cream in the afternoon and EVERYONE was walking around with cones or cups or siting next to us at the restaurant... I really wanted it badly.

For dinner we had some issues finding a place I thought I could eat at. I found a place online, but when we arrived the menu wasn't exactly as it translated so once I took out the non-compliant options I wasn't left with much. I found a stuffed chicken thing that I made sure didn't have cheese, and it came with a salad and a baked potato. I made sure the salad was only oil and vinegar, and I told her I couldn't have dairy and she said I was good. Of course No where on the menu did it say the chicken was breaded! I spent a good 20 minutes scraping off the breading, my husband felt so bad because he had suggested that meal to me. I didn't even think to ask, it didn't say fried or anything.

For breakfast, our hotel had even more limited options than normal. Luckily they had hard boiled eggs and some fruit but that was it, so I was not happy. I had to come to work on my way home today and there is a macaroni grill on base. I looked up their gluten free options and made sure there was no dairy but of course I'm not sure of other ingredients. I had their warm spinach salad with shrimp and it was really good. The only thing that frustrated me was that I asked the waitress (American) what the salad dressing was because I wanted to make sure it didn't have dairy, she said nope, no dairy. Well she could have mentioned that they put parmesan cheese on the salad! Luckily I thought to ask only a minute before the salad was brought out (bc I could see them making it) and I caught them before they put it on. I didn't specifically tell the girl about any restrictions, but I did mention no dairy so it made me upset that I almost had another meal go to awry.

Anyway, I understand that going out to eat on the Whole 30 is difficult, but we travel a lot and sometimes we just don't want to cook. Its frustrating to realize how difficult it might be if I want to continue eating this way... but oh well, rant over.

Rebecca, as far as blogging, I find that blogs really helped me figure out the hang of the whole 30. The typical recipe blogs come from folks who already know everything and they're not as geared towards newbies, so I'll bet whatever you write will be helpful to others. Plus it will probably help with your personal process.

Thank you :)

Guest bfree11

Day 36 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, onions, greens/slaw mix, 3 strawberries, 4 cherries, cauliflower

Lunch: 3 beet & goat cheese ravioli... OMG. salad w/ chicken, avocado, tiny bit of goat cheese, kombucha

Dinner: grass-fed burger, pickles, avocado, corn tortilla (for the bun), kale salad, baked sweet potato chips with coconut oil, cinnamon, salt, spices (delicious!)

Exercise: Hot Yoga

At lunch today, I decided that I reeeeeally wanted to try our beet and goat cheese ravioli. It was a new item on our menu during my Whole 30, so I haven't gotten to try them. I vividly remember what it feels like to eat a whole bowl of ravioli for lunch at work. The portion is pretty big, they use a ton of butter, and it would make me feel so full and sick after eating it. I really just wanted to taste ONE. I got to thinking about it, and I realized that it wasn't such a crime. I knew I still needed my veggies and protein, but a taste of ravioli on the side is something I'm comfortable with. It was the first time I've had gluten in 36 days. The chef wouldn't give me just one, he had to cook a whole serving, so I decided to just give the rest away. When I tasted the first one, the flavor was interesting and I reached for another. After 3 (they're not that big), I realized that I was right on the edge of being out of control, so I stopped. I knew I didn't want to get that sick feeling from eating it all, I knew I still had my salad to eat, and I knew that I had had enough. I was satisfied with the 3 ravioli I ate, all my questions had been answered regarding the taste, and I was over it. I shared some with my coworkers and then threw out the rest. It was a little hard to throw the rest away. I announced, "I'm throwing the rest away!" and one of my coworkers just kind of looked at me and said, "okay..? go for it.." It really wasn't a big deal! 

I was too full to finish my salad, but I was able to eat most of it. It felt good to want something, try a little bit of it, and then move on. I wish I had stopped after just one, but in hindsight, it was also interesting to test myself to see how far I'd go. A few hours later, someone offered me a gluten-free cookie. They were about the side of a quarter. I said yes, and ate it. I couldn't believe I ate something in between a meal and that I ate something with sugar in it. But guess what, it was a tiny cookie, I tried it, it was good, and then it was over. I do not feel any sort of sugar craving whatsoever, even after eating the ravioli and cookie. My stomach definitely felt weird after the ravioli, which kind of turned me off to pasta and buttery things. Now when I think of cheese or bread/pasta, I think of stomach aches, and then I immediately feel that it's not worth it.

I feel good about today. I did some experimenting without going out of control, and I don't feel like I've unleashed the Sugar Dragon. I don't feel deprived because I know that I can try a small portion of any food that I want, but I'm seeing each time that I do it, it messes with my stomach a little and immediately seems not to be worth it. I had a great, compliant dinner, aside from the corn tortilla, but it's a way better choice than a burger bun and cheese. I'm trying to make healthy choices, eat balanced meals, keep eating and moving in a way that will promote weight loss, but at the same time, not depriving myself from what's out there. It hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. I don't feel any cravings and I feel more concerned with how my body will feel after eating things than binging. 

Also, my clothes just keep feeling looser and looser :)

Guest bfree11

Day 36 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, onions, greens/slaw mix, 3 strawberries, 4 cherries, cauliflower

Lunch: 3 beet & goat cheese ravioli... OMG. salad w/ chicken, avocado, tiny bit of goat cheese, kombucha

Dinner: grass-fed burger, pickles, avocado, corn tortilla (for the bun), kale salad, baked sweet potato chips with coconut oil, cinnamon, salt, spices (delicious!)

Exercise: Hot Yoga

At lunch today, I decided that I reeeeeally wanted to try our beet and goat cheese ravioli. It was a new item on our menu during my Whole 30, so I haven't gotten to try them. I vividly remember what it feels like to eat a whole bowl of ravioli for lunch at work. The portion is pretty big, they use a ton of butter, and it would make me feel so full and sick after eating it. I really just wanted to taste ONE. I got to thinking about it, and I realized that it wasn't such a crime. I knew I still needed my veggies and protein, but a taste of ravioli on the side is something I'm comfortable with. It was the first time I've had gluten in 36 days. The chef wouldn't give me just one, he had to cook a whole serving, so I decided to just give the rest away. When I tasted the first one, the flavor was interesting and I reached for another. After 3 (they're not that big), I realized that I was right on the edge of being out of control, so I stopped. I knew I didn't want to get that sick feeling from eating it all, I knew I still had my salad to eat, and I knew that I had had enough. I was satisfied with the 3 ravioli I ate, all my questions had been answered regarding the taste, and I was over it. I shared some with my coworkers and then threw out the rest. It was a little hard to throw the rest away. I announced, "I'm throwing the rest away!" and one of my coworkers just kind of looked at me and said, "okay..? go for it.." It really wasn't a big deal! 

I was too full to finish my salad, but I was able to eat most of it. It felt good to want something, try a little bit of it, and then move on. I wish I had stopped after just one, but in hindsight, it was also interesting to test myself to see how far I'd go. A few hours later, someone offered me a gluten-free cookie. They were about the side of a quarter. I said yes, and ate it. I couldn't believe I ate something in between a meal and that I ate something with sugar in it. But guess what, it was a tiny cookie, I tried it, it was good, and then it was over. I do not feel any sort of sugar craving whatsoever, even after eating the ravioli and cookie. My stomach definitely felt weird after the ravioli, which kind of turned me off to pasta and buttery things. Now when I think of cheese or bread/pasta, I think of stomach aches, and then I immediately feel that it's not worth it.

I feel good about today. I did some experimenting without going out of control, and I don't feel like I've unleashed the Sugar Dragon. I don't feel deprived because I know that I can try a small portion of any food that I want, but I'm seeing each time that I do it, it messes with my stomach a little and immediately seems not to be worth it. I had a great, compliant dinner, aside from the corn tortilla, but it's a way better choice than a burger bun and cheese. I'm trying to make healthy choices, eat balanced meals, keep eating and moving in a way that will promote weight loss, but at the same time, not depriving myself from what's out there. It hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. I don't feel any cravings and I feel more concerned with how my body will feel after eating things than binging. 

Also, my clothes just keep feeling looser and looser  :)

• Administrators

Yes! Start a blog! Besides the fact that your writing is very enjoyable to read, this is a journey that you are on and it's always nice to be able to look back. Also, people will read it and you might find yourself with your very own cheering section. Not to mention that what you are doing and how you are doing it could be an inspiration to others that are going through the same thing or maybe even struggling to find their own voice in all the noise.

I say go for it. :D

Guest bfree11

Yes! Start a blog! Besides the fact that your writing is very enjoyable to read, this is a journey that you are on and it's always nice to be able to look back. Also, people will read it and you might find yourself with your very own cheering section. Not to mention that what you are doing and how you are doing it could be an inspiration to others that are going through the same thing or maybe even struggling to find their own voice in all the noise.

I say go for it. :D

Okay, I'm going to do it! Thanks for extra little push :) One question: Once I make my blog and it's out there in cyber space, how will people find it and read it? Any tips?

Thank you!!!

• Administrators

If you start your blog with wordpress you can use tags and then people will find it when browsing. You can also link your new blog on your signature here like I've done below. And of course when you comment on other blogs you read (if you do that), make sure that you are linking to your own. :)

Guest bfree11

If you start your blog with wordpress you can use tags and then people will find it when browsing. You can also link your new blog on your signature here like I've done below. And of course when you comment on other blogs you read (if you do that), make sure that you are linking to your own. :)

Cool! I'm so excited! I'll let you know when it's up and running! Thanks for all your help :)

Guest bfree11

Day 37 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, onions, broccoli, 8 cherries

Lunch: chicken, green beans, 3 yuca fries, kombucha

Snack: NOTHING! (but I had to resist several treats surrounding me!)

Dinner: grass-fed burger, pickles, corn tortilla, broccoli & cauliflower

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga

I woke up and remembered that I had a pair of jeans from high school hidden somewhere in my closet that I could barely get past my hips for several years. I put them on with EASE this morning! I guess I'm doing something right! I keep thinking about weighing myself, but I'm not going to. It's been a week since my Whole 30 ended and I'm curious if I've made more weight loss progress, but I'm going to wait 3 more weeks. I don't want to run the risk of not liking the number on the scale and then feeling defeated or being hard on myself for "not being disciplined enough." On the flip side, I've also thought that if the number on the scale has gone down even more, then maybe that would motivate me and make me happy... But I've made a commitment to myself to only weigh monthly and to not allow the number on the scale to run my life, so the scale will stay in its hiding place for now.

I sometimes stop and wonder if I'm doing this "right." Like, is yoga enough exercise? Am I eating too much? Was I too lax with a certain food choice? But I think I really need to give it more time. It's going to take several months until I see big, big changes in my body. But so far, I like the progress I'm making and look forward to it continuing. 

I'm going to work on getting my blog up and running tonight. I look forward to sharing my posts and pictures with the world. I hope I can help others people the way you've helped me!

Guest bfree11

Day 37 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, onions, broccoli, 8 cherries

Lunch: chicken, green beans, 3 yuca fries, kombucha

Snack: NOTHING! (but I had to resist several treats surrounding me!)

Dinner: grass-fed burger, pickles, corn tortilla, broccoli & cauliflower

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga

I woke up and remembered that I had a pair of jeans from high school hidden somewhere in my closet that I could barely get past my hips for several years. I put them on with EASE this morning! I guess I'm doing something right! I keep thinking about weighing myself, but I'm not going to. It's been a week since my Whole 30 ended and I'm curious if I've made more weight loss progress, but I'm going to wait 3 more weeks. I don't want to run the risk of not liking the number on the scale and then feeling defeated or being hard on myself for "not being disciplined enough." On the flip side, I've also thought that if the number on the scale has gone down even more, then maybe that would motivate me and make me happy... But I've made a commitment to myself to only weigh monthly and to not allow the number on the scale to run my life, so the scale will stay in its hiding place for now.

I sometimes stop and wonder if I'm doing this "right." Like, is yoga enough exercise? Am I eating too much? Was I too lax with a certain food choice? But I think I really need to give it more time. It's going to take several months until I see big, big changes in my body. But so far, I like the progress I'm making and look forward to it continuing. 

I'm going to work on getting my blog up and running tonight. I look forward to sharing my posts and pictures with the world. I hope I can help others people the way you've helped me!

Guest bfree11

You're doing it exactly right. If you don't know that yet then come back and read this from time to time. You are doing it right.

PHEW. That feels really good to hear! What a relief, thank you!

Guest bfree11

Day 38 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: the usual, 2 eggs, hot dog, onions, green beans, 8 cherries, black coffee

Lunch: nori wrap (sushi burrito): rice, chicken, veggies, avocado, rolled up in a seaweed wrap, kombucha

Afternoon Treat: NOTHING! But a coworker was craving a treat and I got to thinking about the fact that once your start that afternoon treat routine, it's near impossible to break the cycle! So glad I didn't cave! 

Dinner: chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, coconut aminos

Exercise: Hot Yoga - noticing huge progress in my strength and balance

I was going to start this post by saying that it's not easy to say no to all the tempting junk food that I'm surrounded by each day, but I changed my mind as soon as I started typing that. Actually, it IS easy. I find words coming out of my mouth all the time like, "No thank you, I like to limit the amount of fried food I eat, it makes me feel gross" or "No thanks, sugary stuff gives me cravings, not worth it to me." I seem to just naturally know my limits now. I don't even think about it, my responses are automatic. Even that ravioli i tried a few days ago, it's no longer desirable to me because i just think of how heavy and yucky it made me feel.  I've never cared more about how my body feels than how my tastebuds feel in my entire life. I was looking at a menu for a new restaurant that just opened. It's a southern comfort food restaurant and there were some things that sounded good, but not good enough to turn my body into a bloated, greasy, ashamed mess. I pass no judgement on people who can happily eat these foods, but for me, they make me feel depressed and unlovable. I'm not afraid to try a taste of something unhealthy, but I'm not going to let that stuff take over my plate. 

In yoga tonight, my body felt so strong. My core strength has changed dramatically and I'm starting to move with confidence. I'm so thankful that I found a way to exercise that I truly get excited about each day. Would I burn more calories running 3 miles and lifting weights? Probably. But right now, I'd rather focus on doing something I love and working my butt off in each class. I think people underestimate how good of a workout yoga can be. I do high intensity classes where my heart rate is up and my muscles are being challenged. I also love it because it gets me in touch with my body on deep physical and spiritual level. After all the good food I've been feeding my body, it's nice to spend some time on a yoga mat with my body and observe how I move and how I feel throughout the movements. It's also interesting to observe all my negative self talk. I have a bad habit of watching skinny people during class and getting down on myself for not being able to do the things that they can do. I try to get a spot in the front row so that I have no one in front of me to look at and compare myself to! 

The fact that I'm technically allowed to eat whatever I want at this point and it's just up to me to make my choices is actually kind of nice. I was so scared of this chapter of Whole 30 for so long. I wouldn't even read the reintroduction section of the book until the very end because I was so worried! But, I like that I don't feel deprived. I don't have to say, "I'm not allowed to eat that." I get to say, "I don't want to eat that." I like that I get to own my food choices now. They're mine and they make sense for me. If I can confidently end a meal knowing that I don't feel ashamed of any of the choices I made, then I feel at peace. 

Guest bfree11

Day 38 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: the usual, 2 eggs, hot dog, onions, green beans, 8 cherries, black coffee

Lunch: nori wrap (sushi burrito): rice, chicken, veggies, avocado, rolled up in a seaweed wrap, kombucha

Afternoon Treat: NOTHING! But a coworker was craving a treat and I got to thinking about the fact that once your start that afternoon treat routine, it's near impossible to break the cycle! So glad I didn't cave! 

Dinner: chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, coconut aminos

Exercise: Hot Yoga - noticing huge progress in my strength and balance

I was going to start this post by saying that it's not easy to say no to all the tempting junk food that I'm surrounded by each day, but I changed my mind as soon as I started typing that. Actually, it IS easy. I find words coming out of my mouth all the time like, "No thank you, I like to limit the amount of fried food I eat, it makes me feel gross" or "No thanks, sugary stuff gives me cravings, not worth it to me." I seem to just naturally know my limits now. I don't even think about it, my responses are automatic. Even that ravioli i tried a few days ago, it's no longer desirable to me because i just think of how heavy and yucky it made me feel.  I've never cared more about how my body feels than how my tastebuds feel in my entire life. I was looking at a menu for a new restaurant that just opened. It's a southern comfort food restaurant and there were some things that sounded good, but not good enough to turn my body into a bloated, greasy, ashamed mess. I pass no judgement on people who can happily eat these foods, but for me, they make me feel depressed and unlovable. I'm not afraid to try a taste of something unhealthy, but I'm not going to let that stuff take over my plate. 

In yoga tonight, my body felt so strong. My core strength has changed dramatically and I'm starting to move with confidence. I'm so thankful that I found a way to exercise that I truly get excited about each day. Would I burn more calories running 3 miles and lifting weights? Probably. But right now, I'd rather focus on doing something I love and working my butt off in each class. I think people underestimate how good of a workout yoga can be. I do high intensity classes where my heart rate is up and my muscles are being challenged. I also love it because it gets me in touch with my body on deep physical and spiritual level. After all the good food I've been feeding my body, it's nice to spend some time on a yoga mat with my body and observe how I move and how I feel throughout the movements. It's also interesting to observe all my negative self talk. I have a bad habit of watching skinny people during class and getting down on myself for not being able to do the things that they can do. I try to get a spot in the front row so that I have no one in front of me to look at and compare myself to! 

The fact that I'm technically allowed to eat whatever I want at this point and it's just up to me to make my choices is actually kind of nice. I was so scared of this chapter of Whole 30 for so long. I wouldn't even read the reintroduction section of the book until the very end because I was so worried! But, I like that I don't feel deprived. I don't have to say, "I'm not allowed to eat that." I get to say, "I don't want to eat that." I like that I get to own my food choices now. They're mine and they make sense for me. If I can confidently end a meal knowing that I don't feel ashamed of any of the choices I made, then I feel at peace. 

I will admit that it has been difficult to stay away from some junky items. However, most of it can be boiled down to "snacking" and not that I want unhealthy things at my meals. The hubs has these sour cream and onion crackers that he likes as a snack and I used to like grabbing a handful, and even though they're thhings that I don't want to eat right now, I remember liking that taste... I've also been craving sugar really bad in the afternoon and apparently I've mentioned it enough that my husband is asking if I used to snack a lot on crap because he doesn't understand these cravings. To be honest, we don't keep a lot of crap in the house, but when I moved into this new job in April I sat next to the snack bar like I"ve discussed and before the Whole30 I was going in there multiple times a day. I'm currently ok with having those snacks near me, but by 3pm I want something! I think I pinpointed it yesterday... I don't like my job and I'm bored. By 3pm I"ve run out of energy or cares to give and thus want to snack out of boredom. Yesterday I kept busy in the afternoon and all of the sudden it was 4pm and I wasn't craving anything, so I know its all in my mind, so I just need to refocus my job priorities and find a way to avoid the afternoon slump.

For reintroduction... I did lentils yesterday because I split the legume category up. They didn't bother me nearly as much as beans. I did have a bit of gas at the end of the night but not the reaction I had with beans. I ate a lot of lentils when I was a vegetarian, I don't see myself eating them often anymore, but I think if I had them in a one off time I'd be fine with it.

We're going to Paris for the holiday weekend so I'm a bit nervous about it. I know there are 1000's of restaurants in the city and there will be food I can eat, but we don't know French so it will be tough to recognize the food I can eat. Normally I make reservations for dinners so that way I can look at the menu ahead of time, but because the city is so big and we sightsee all over, we decided against it this time because we don't know what we're doing each day. That makes me nervous because when you're hungry your mind will settle for what's available, so I think our trick will be to look for dinner BEFORE we're starving so we can be picky about where we go.

Guest bfree11

Day 39 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, onions, hotdog, broccoli, 8 cherries, black coffee

Lunch: chicken shawarma wrap: chicken, lemon yogurt dressing, hummus, romaine lettuce, pita bread, kombucha

Afternoon Treat: Still didn't do it! I keep adding this because I've been passing by the bakery in the afternoon with my coworker and she always gets a treat. I totally used to as well. It so quickly became a routine. My mouth would start watering at the same time everyday and I'd march over to the bakery for a treat. I refuse to get back into the routine! Another day strong!

Dinner: chicken, 1/2 orange bell pepper, green beans, coconut aminos, 1 apple, 2 tbsp raw almond butter

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga

Topic 1: Self-Esteem

Today, our Marketing/PR Manager invited me to go to the local Fire Station with him to donate some of our healthy food, meet the mayor, take a tour, etc. to promote a new city-wide health initiative. First thought that wen thorough my head was: OMG FIREFIGHTERS. Hey, I'm a single gal in my 20s, what can I say. I wanted to go, but I said no because I was too shy/nervous. Well, he basically didn't take no for an answer and convinced me to come. I'm so glad I did! When we walked in and I saw all of the handsome firefighters, I felt a rush of negative thoughts about myself fly through my brain. I wanted to be friendly, ask questions, be in pictures, but I kept telling myself things like, "no, you're too fat, you're not pretty enough, you're not worthy." I tried really hard to push these thoughts away and take some risks. I realized that I need to stop telling myself that I'm not good enough to participate in certain activities or meet a new group of people. 

Topic 2: Lunch

Every morning, I wake up and tell myself that I'm going to eat a crisp, refreshing salad for lunch, but by the time lunch rolls around, I'm underwhelmed by the thought of another damn salad. My friend was getting a chicken shawarma wrap today, which I've never tried, so I asked the chefs what was in it. (see ingredients above). It wasn't fried or greasy and it was a pretty small portion size, which made me feel really relieved. Sometimes wraps are huge and it takes a lot of self control to stop myself from finishing it. It was delicious and not too heavy, no tummy problems. But halfway through eating it, my heart stopped for a second when I realized that I was not eating a balanced meal! A little shredded romaine in a wrap is not enough veggies. I let it go for today, but I learned something. If I ever choose to order that again, I'm going to be sure to also order some veggies on the side. I don't see myself ordering this too often though because it sort of felt like a treat. I'm thinking of ordering a salad tomorrow, but put it in a millet & flaxseed wrap to make it more exciting.

Topic 3: Post-Whole 30 Grocery Store Adventures

During Whole 30, the grocery store was easy, I knew where I was allowed to go and where was off limits. Life after Whole 30 is a little different. 

Here's what I thought about at Trader Joe's tonight:

Produce: I got my typical berries because they're good for you. Then I saw the apples. I thought, man I haven't had an apple in awhile...how nice would it be to dip one in some almond butter! I thought about this some more, and finally came to the conclusion that I was okay with this, as long as it was part of my meal, not treated like a dessert or a snack.

Cheese: Walked right past it, totally uninterested.

Meat: Got my typical staples, but then I looked at this one package of Pesto Marinated Chicken that I looked at the last time I went to Trader Joe's. As I read the ingredients, I once again tried to see if I could convince myself to buy it. But, once again, I didn't give it my stamp of approval. I just don't want to go out of my way to intentionally eat weird chemicals that I can't pronounce if I can avoid it.

Frozen: I still was thinking about weird chemicals, so I decided not to get anything except frozen veggies. 

Condiments: I looked at the sauces and saw a creamy alfredo. I wasn't tempted by it at all, it just made me think about a gurgly stomach and tight jeans. Then came the almond butter. I held it in my hand for awhile wondering if I am truly ready to have it in my house. I refrained from eating it during my Whole 30 because it's a food without brakes for me. But, I'm doing a pretty kickass job I think, so I decided to give it a try in my house and see what happens. I know I can throw it away if it starts haunting me like that block of cheese did. I think I'm going to be just fine. 

Snacks: I walked through the chips aisle with ease. I know those foods are off limits for me because I will eat the whole bag and then feel badly about myself. No thank you. But then there were the Quest Bars. Here's the thing, I'm glad they're not part of my daily routine anymore and I don't plan on allowing them to return on a regular basis, but I really wanted to try the new S'mores flavor. I felt guilty for 0.2 seconds for putting it in my cart and then I realized that it's a freaking protein bar, not a tub of ice cream. This is an example of a time where I need to eat something that's not Whole 30 approved because I don't want to feel deprived. It's important to me that I allow myself to try flavors and foods that I want to try, as long as I don't start any habits that make me feel badly about myself. 

Alcohol: Breezed right past the wine and beer. Alcohol isn't really my thing. I used to buy bottles of wine because I thought that was a cool, girly thing to do, but I wasn't being true to myself and my interests when I made that choice. Now I'm owning and embracing that I'm not really into alcohol!

Phew. Grocery shopping makes me a little anxious because there are so many temptations, but for the past 39 days, I've walked out of the grocery store proud of my choices every single time.

Guest bfree11

Day 39 (of healthy eating)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, onions, hotdog, broccoli, 8 cherries, black coffee

Lunch: chicken shawarma wrap: chicken, lemon yogurt dressing, hummus, romaine lettuce, pita bread, kombucha

Afternoon Treat: Still didn't do it! I keep adding this because I've been passing by the bakery in the afternoon with my coworker and she always gets a treat. I totally used to as well. It so quickly became a routine. My mouth would start watering at the same time everyday and I'd march over to the bakery for a treat. I refuse to get back into the routine! Another day strong!

Dinner: chicken, 1/2 orange bell pepper, green beans, coconut aminos, 1 apple, 2 tbsp raw almond butter

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga

Topic 1: Self-Esteem

Today, our Marketing/PR Manager invited me to go to the local Fire Station with him to donate some of our healthy food, meet the mayor, take a tour, etc. to promote a new city-wide health initiative. First thought that wen thorough my head was: OMG FIREFIGHTERS. Hey, I'm a single gal in my 20s, what can I say. I wanted to go, but I said no because I was too shy/nervous. Well, he basically didn't take no for an answer and convinced me to come. I'm so glad I did! When we walked in and I saw all of the handsome firefighters, I felt a rush of negative thoughts about myself fly through my brain. I wanted to be friendly, ask questions, be in pictures, but I kept telling myself things like, "no, you're too fat, you're not pretty enough, you're not worthy." I tried really hard to push these thoughts away and take some risks. I realized that I need to stop telling myself that I'm not good enough to participate in certain activities or meet a new group of people. 

Topic 2: Lunch

Every morning, I wake up and tell myself that I'm going to eat a crisp, refreshing salad for lunch, but by the time lunch rolls around, I'm underwhelmed by the thought of another damn salad. My friend was getting a chicken shawarma wrap today, which I've never tried, so I asked the chefs what was in it. (see ingredients above). It wasn't fried or greasy and it was a pretty small portion size, which made me feel really relieved. Sometimes wraps are huge and it takes a lot of self control to stop myself from finishing it. It was delicious and not too heavy, no tummy problems. But halfway through eating it, my heart stopped for a second when I realized that I was not eating a balanced meal! A little shredded romaine in a wrap is not enough veggies. I let it go for today, but I learned something. If I ever choose to order that again, I'm going to be sure to also order some veggies on the side. I don't see myself ordering this too often though because it sort of felt like a treat. I'm thinking of ordering a salad tomorrow, but put it in a millet & flaxseed wrap to make it more exciting.

Topic 3: Post-Whole 30 Grocery Store Adventures

During Whole 30, the grocery store was easy, I knew where I was allowed to go and where was off limits. Life after Whole 30 is a little different. 

Here's what I thought about at Trader Joe's tonight:

Produce: I got my typical berries because they're good for you. Then I saw the apples. I thought, man I haven't had an apple in awhile...how nice would it be to dip one in some almond butter! I thought about this some more, and finally came to the conclusion that I was okay with this, as long as it was part of my meal, not treated like a dessert or a snack.

Cheese: Walked right past it, totally uninterested.

Meat: Got my typical staples, but then I looked at this one package of Pesto Marinated Chicken that I looked at the last time I went to Trader Joe's. As I read the ingredients, I once again tried to see if I could convince myself to buy it. But, once again, I didn't give it my stamp of approval. I just don't want to go out of my way to intentionally eat weird chemicals that I can't pronounce if I can avoid it.

Frozen: I still was thinking about weird chemicals, so I decided not to get anything except frozen veggies. 

Condiments: I looked at the sauces and saw a creamy alfredo. I wasn't tempted by it at all, it just made me think about a gurgly stomach and tight jeans. Then came the almond butter. I held it in my hand for awhile wondering if I am truly ready to have it in my house. I refrained from eating it during my Whole 30 because it's a food without brakes for me. But, I'm doing a pretty kickass job I think, so I decided to give it a try in my house and see what happens. I know I can throw it away if it starts haunting me like that block of cheese did. I think I'm going to be just fine. 

Snacks: I walked through the chips aisle with ease. I know those foods are off limits for me because I will eat the whole bag and then feel badly about myself. No thank you. But then there were the Quest Bars. Here's the thing, I'm glad they're not part of my daily routine anymore and I don't plan on allowing them to return on a regular basis, but I really wanted to try the new S'mores flavor. I felt guilty for 0.2 seconds for putting it in my cart and then I realized that it's a freaking protein bar, not a tub of ice cream. This is an example of a time where I need to eat something that's not Whole 30 approved because I don't want to feel deprived. It's important to me that I allow myself to try flavors and foods that I want to try, as long as I don't start any habits that make me feel badly about myself. 

Alcohol: Breezed right past the wine and beer. Alcohol isn't really my thing. I used to buy bottles of wine because I thought that was a cool, girly thing to do, but I wasn't being true to myself and my interests when I made that choice. Now I'm owning and embracing that I'm not really into alcohol!

Phew. Grocery shopping makes me a little anxious because there are so many temptations, but for the past 39 days, I've walked out of the grocery store proud of my choices every single time.

Guest bfree11

I will admit that it has been difficult to stay away from some junky items. However, most of it can be boiled down to "snacking" and not that I want unhealthy things at my meals. The hubs has these sour cream and onion crackers that he likes as a snack and I used to like grabbing a handful, and even though they're thhings that I don't want to eat right now, I remember liking that taste... I've also been craving sugar really bad in the afternoon and apparently I've mentioned it enough that my husband is asking if I used to snack a lot on crap because he doesn't understand these cravings. To be honest, we don't keep a lot of crap in the house, but when I moved into this new job in April I sat next to the snack bar like I"ve discussed and before the Whole30 I was going in there multiple times a day. I'm currently ok with having those snacks near me, but by 3pm I want something! I think I pinpointed it yesterday... I don't like my job and I'm bored. By 3pm I"ve run out of energy or cares to give and thus want to snack out of boredom. Yesterday I kept busy in the afternoon and all of the sudden it was 4pm and I wasn't craving anything, so I know its all in my mind, so I just need to refocus my job priorities and find a way to avoid the afternoon slump.

For reintroduction... I did lentils yesterday because I split the legume category up. They didn't bother me nearly as much as beans. I did have a bit of gas at the end of the night but not the reaction I had with beans. I ate a lot of lentils when I was a vegetarian, I don't see myself eating them often anymore, but I think if I had them in a one off time I'd be fine with it.

We're going to Paris for the holiday weekend so I'm a bit nervous about it. I know there are 1000's of restaurants in the city and there will be food I can eat, but we don't know French so it will be tough to recognize the food I can eat. Normally I make reservations for dinners so that way I can look at the menu ahead of time, but because the city is so big and we sightsee all over, we decided against it this time because we don't know what we're doing each day. That makes me nervous because when you're hungry your mind will settle for what's available, so I think our trick will be to look for dinner BEFORE we're starving so we can be picky about where we go.

I think your Paris food plan is solid, you're going to do just fine! I'm so jealous, have a great time!!!

Guest bfree11

Day FOURTY (of healthy eating) 

Breakfast: 2 eggs, mixed greens, 1 hot dog, cherries & blueberries, 1/2 orange bell pepper, black coffee

Lunch: Millet & Flaxseed pita pocket, salad with goat cheese, chicken, balsamic vinaigrette, kombucha

Dinner: ate the rest of my lunch, about 8 black bean tortilla chips, s'mores quest bar

Exercise: Rest day after 6 intense days of yoga in a row

Today was a weird food day.

When I went into the kitchen to make my breakfast, I saw the S'mores Quest bar that I bought last night at the grocery store sitting on my counter. For a moment I thought about just grabbing that for breakfast and hitting the road. But then I thought about the fact that I still needed to eat some veggies and I forced myself not to be lazy.

After making my salad for lunch, my Chef de Cuisine at work asked me if I'd be willing to make a list of everything on our menus that is Whole 30 approved. He's been hearing me talk about Whole 30 for 40 days now and also said he keeps hearing customers talk about it. I was so excited! We're going to start advertising our Whole 30 approved offerings now!

I ate my breakfast around 10am and I ate lunch at 2:45pm, but I had to stop eating my lunch to go to a meeting at 3pm. I put the 2nd half of my pita pocket and my salad in the fridge and went to my meeting. At around 5:30, I was still working and decided that I wanted to finish my lunch. I'm not sure why. I don't think I was really that hungry, it was more that I didn't like that I had unfinished food in the fridge. I probably should have just went home and made dinner, but I didn't, I ate more of my lunch. After a little while, I had no appetite and I threw the rest away.

My good friend at work offered me some black bean tortilla chips. It was my first time having chips. They were a pretty clean, organic brand. After I had about 8 chips, I asked him to take them away. He told me no, and said that I am strong enough to have self-control. He was right. I put them down in front of me and moved on. I forgot all about them after a minute or two. I'm not used to eating bread and it's pretty filling. The pita pockets are about 5 inches wide and are made at a local bakery. They have no preservatives, gluten, or weird chemicals that I can't pronounce. They come in a pack of 6 and I have to admit that I felt slightly tempted to eat more than one. I bought them at work and then brought the rest of the pack home. When I really think about these pita pockets being a temptation, I realize that it's completely my choice if I want to let them be or not. I'm strong enough to acknowledge that I'm having tempting thoughts, and then just move on with my day. 

I got home around 7:30 and it felt weird not to cook dinner, but I had pretty much just ate the rest of my salad. At around 8pm, I started thinking about the damn Quest bar. I wanted it and I ate it. I don't feel badly about it because I know that calorically, it didn't put me over the edge today and it was a better choice than getting a pizza, ice cream, or digging into that jar of almond butter. However, I feel confident that I no longer wish to buy protein bars. It's hard to not think of them as a treat and I don't enjoy having to deal with fighting the temptation to indulge when it could be easily avoided. I'm not crazy about the fact that I currently have almond butter and pita bread in my refrigerator either. As soon as I finished the Quest bar, I almost just automatically got up to raid the fridge and keep snacking. I noticed that I had some cravings on my drive home from work too. I wanted to get a pizza. I think it was because I was feeling tired and a little lonely. There's also something about Fridays that makes me want to celebrate with food. 

All I can do is acknowledge that I still get cravings, refuse to give into them, and learn from my mistakes. No more Quest bars, but I think it's good that this almond butter and pita bread is in my house. I know I won't actually allow myself to go off the deep end, and it's good practice for staying true to my new, healthy behaviors. 

Archived