Starting May 25th

Guest bfree11

Guest bfree11

Day 19

Breakfast: 2 eggs, sweet potato, shallots, chives, avocado, iced tea (restaurant)

Lunch: iced coffee... I had a late lunch and an early dinner. I was on the go all day with my mom and the iced coffee delayed my hunger for a few extra hours.

Dinner: kale slaw, steak, guac, coconut cauliflower, 4 rainer cherries, 3 strawberries (restaurant)

Restaurants aren't actually a big deal. I've found that looking at the menu ahead of time and planning a meal around what is on the menu isn't that hard. I've also found that the waitstaff is totally helpful and unfazed by my requests. Eating healthy is becoming a lot more mainstream.

One thing that has become quite clear to me is that I don't have the cravings that the people around me have anymore. Even when I pretend to consider actually eating the things that they're eating, I get to a point where I begin to think about what the food has to offer me nutritionally, and then I become uninterested. This happened today at a horrifying place called Smoothie King. I didn't find their menu to be that healthy and the cup sizes were unnecessarily huge. I know we're not calorie counting, but the calories were listed and they were all above 400, kind of lame if you ask me. Now, I recognize that there are WAY worse things that a person could consume and I don't pass any judgement on anyone for having a smoothie, but I'm personally not interested. They didn't have any green smoothies, no veggies, and there was milk or soy in everything. Once you've educated yourself about food and the human body, it's actually kind of hard to convince yourself to eat things that aren't going to make your body better. I thought of all of that sugar hitting my bloodstream at lightening speed and I got scared and said no thank you.

I knew Whole 30 was going to help me to eat clean, gain structure in my life, and work on changing my behaviors, but what I didn't know was how much the Whole 30 would teach me about myself and the kind of person that I'd like to be. The Whole 30 is not a personalized plan for me and only me. It's 30 days to get clean and introspective. I now understand that my life after Whole 30 needs to be my own personal brand of eating in order for it to be sustainable. Maybe my eating style will be extremely similar to the Whole 30, but the key is that it will be my own, not Melissa and Dallas Hartwig's.

I am getting tons of support and time to think and get to know myself over these 30 days. I've become familiar with what works for me and what doesn't. I know which foods I really, really miss. I can also vividly remember how those foods made me feel, in comparison to how Whole 30 foods make me feel. I know which of my eating behaviors were mindless and a waste of indulgence. I know what my "Foods without Brakes" are. I know that sugar is a "gateway drug" for me. I know that I dream mostly about cheesy, bready, fried things. But, the dreams feel really distant and I'm going to keep it that way for now. 

I really don't know what would happen if I ate a cupcake and pizza on Day 31. Would I be able to start another Whole 30 the following day, or would having those "drugs" in my system completely take over my control and put me in a dark place? I sure as hell know what my stomach would feel like after eating stuff like that. Tummy aches put me in a dark place of shame for making unhealthy choices. I don't want that. Then I think, maybe I'll just let myself enjoy little things, like choosing the broccoli with the parmesan cheese sprinkled on top at my favorite restaurant, it's only a tiny bit, after all. But, I end up at the same thought no matter which fantasy road I take, "Why not put the cleanest food possible in my body?!" Why run on parmesan cheese, when I could choose a different, cleaner veggie? Don't I want the best for myself? Am I just being a black and white perfectionist here? Or, am I loving myself and wanting to give myself nothing but the best? One structure I'd like to keep is 3 meals a day, with no snacking. That just seems really logical and a great way to hold boundaries against unhealthy treats/behaviors creeping in. 

I hear a lot of people talking about Paleo vs. Whole 30, but there are many different varieties of Paleo. When I was Paleo a few years ago, I ate 85% dark chocolate and red wine almost every night. I ate in between meals. I had Paleo treats every so often. I didn't deal with any of the behavioral issues I had surrounding food, which caused me to relapse hard. 

Each day I'm getting closer to finding myself and what makes sense for me. My goal is to have a solid "Life After Whole 30 Plan" for myself by Day 31. Something with a lot of structure and rules that is personalized for me, by me.

Rebecca

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bfree11

Day 19

Breakfast: 2 eggs, sweet potato, shallots, chives, avocado, iced tea (restaurant)

Lunch: iced coffee... I had a late lunch and an early dinner. I was on the go all day with my mom and the iced coffee delayed my hunger for a few extra hours.

Dinner: kale slaw, steak, guac, coconut cauliflower, 4 rainer cherries, 3 strawberries (restaurant)

Restaurants aren't actually a big deal. I've found that looking at the menu ahead of time and planning a meal around what is on the menu isn't that hard. I've also found that the waitstaff is totally helpful and unfazed by my requests. Eating healthy is becoming a lot more mainstream.

One thing that has become quite clear to me is that I don't have the cravings that the people around me have anymore. Even when I pretend to consider actually eating the things that they're eating, I get to a point where I begin to think about what the food has to offer me nutritionally, and then I become uninterested. This happened today at a horrifying place called Smoothie King. I didn't find their menu to be that healthy and the cup sizes were unnecessarily huge. I know we're not calorie counting, but the calories were listed and they were all above 400, kind of lame if you ask me. Now, I recognize that there are WAY worse things that a person could consume and I don't pass any judgement on anyone for having a smoothie, but I'm personally not interested. They didn't have any green smoothies, no veggies, and there was milk or soy in everything. Once you've educated yourself about food and the human body, it's actually kind of hard to convince yourself to eat things that aren't going to make your body better. I thought of all of that sugar hitting my bloodstream at lightening speed and I got scared and said no thank you.

I knew Whole 30 was going to help me to eat clean, gain structure in my life, and work on changing my behaviors, but what I didn't know was how much the Whole 30 would teach me about myself and the kind of person that I'd like to be. The Whole 30 is not a personalized plan for me and only me. It's 30 days to get clean and introspective. I now understand that my life after Whole 30 needs to be my own personal brand of eating in order for it to be sustainable. Maybe my eating style will be extremely similar to the Whole 30, but the key is that it will be my own, not Melissa and Dallas Hartwig's.

I am getting tons of support and time to think and get to know myself over these 30 days. I've become familiar with what works for me and what doesn't. I know which foods I really, really miss. I can also vividly remember how those foods made me feel, in comparison to how Whole 30 foods make me feel. I know which of my eating behaviors were mindless and a waste of indulgence. I know what my "Foods without Brakes" are. I know that sugar is a "gateway drug" for me. I know that I dream mostly about cheesy, bready, fried things. But, the dreams feel really distant and I'm going to keep it that way for now. 

I really don't know what would happen if I ate a cupcake and pizza on Day 31. Would I be able to start another Whole 30 the following day, or would having those "drugs" in my system completely take over my control and put me in a dark place? I sure as hell know what my stomach would feel like after eating stuff like that. Tummy aches put me in a dark place of shame for making unhealthy choices. I don't want that. Then I think, maybe I'll just let myself enjoy little things, like choosing the broccoli with the parmesan cheese sprinkled on top at my favorite restaurant, it's only a tiny bit, after all. But, I end up at the same thought no matter which fantasy road I take, "Why not put the cleanest food possible in my body?!" Why run on parmesan cheese, when I could choose a different, cleaner veggie? Don't I want the best for myself? Am I just being a black and white perfectionist here? Or, am I loving myself and wanting to give myself nothing but the best? One structure I'd like to keep is 3 meals a day, with no snacking. That just seems really logical and a great way to hold boundaries against unhealthy treats/behaviors creeping in. 

I hear a lot of people talking about Paleo vs. Whole 30, but there are many different varieties of Paleo. When I was Paleo a few years ago, I ate 85% dark chocolate and red wine almost every night. I ate in between meals. I had Paleo treats every so often. I didn't deal with any of the behavioral issues I had surrounding food, which caused me to relapse hard. 

Each day I'm getting closer to finding myself and what makes sense for me. My goal is to have a solid "Life After Whole 30 Plan" for myself by Day 31. Something with a lot of structure and rules that is personalized for me, by me.

Rebecca

Hello everyone!

I started on May 25 as well, and have been following all of your successes! I am so excited that we are down to 10 days tomorrow.

I am feeling different, but I can't quite explain how just yet. I am experiencing more mental clarity and experiences in my life seem to be going my way. Maybe because of my new found discipline! Is anyone thinking of their fantasy meals? HaHa!

Guest bfree11

Day TWENTY

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1 hot dog, 5 cherries, 3 strawberries, 2 cups of kale, onions

Lunch: steak salad with avocado, almonds, veggies, and balsamic vinegar

Dinner: kale slaw, cauliflower, almond crusted chicken, olive oil, green juice

Holy cow, 2/3 of the way there! I don't really know what "there" means though, still trying to figure all that out. I've noticed that what I'm most looking forward to is weighing myself and taking "after" photos. Why? I think it's because I want some external validation that all my hard work during my Whole 30 went toward something. When I really think about it, I already know that I feel slimmer and I also know that no matter what the number on the scale is, I'm going to wish I lost even more. One thing I am not anxious to do after my Whole 30, is eat non-compliant food. I don't want to take off the training wheels! This is something I'll continue to sort though in my head over the next 10 days. I really don't want to mess this up!

I'd like to step up my exercise game this week. I'm going to incorporate in as much physical activity as my body and schedule will allow. I enjoy yoga, rock climbing, and biking. I'd really like to add some upper body weight lifting to try to tackle all of the loose skin I have hanging from my arms. I'll have to look around for a good arm routine. Any ideas? We have free weights at my rock climbing gym, so maybe I could incorporate that in when I climb. 

I keep wondering if I have the strength to truly change my relationship with food, or if sugar addiction is simply too powerful for me to overcome. I'm scared to experiment with it because I don't want to fall down and not be able to get back up! Maybe I'm being a scaredy cat and I'll be fine, but maybe not! I have a good 50 lb to lose, I feel like the closer I stick to Whole 30, the faster the weight will come off. There are certain things that I know are not "Foods without Brakes" for me, and I'd be fine if I added them back, but at the same time, I've now learned that these foods aren't great for the human body, so why should I eat them? I know I keep talking about this everyday, I don't mean to sound like a broken record! I probably just need to accept that I'm not ready to decide what life after Whole 30 means for me yet.

The only thing I know for sure is that I refuse to relapse.

Rebecca

Guest bfree11

Day TWENTY

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1 hot dog, 5 cherries, 3 strawberries, 2 cups of kale, onions

Lunch: steak salad with avocado, almonds, veggies, and balsamic vinegar

Dinner: kale slaw, cauliflower, almond crusted chicken, olive oil, green juice

Holy cow, 2/3 of the way there! I don't really know what "there" means though, still trying to figure all that out. I've noticed that what I'm most looking forward to is weighing myself and taking "after" photos. Why? I think it's because I want some external validation that all my hard work during my Whole 30 went toward something. When I really think about it, I already know that I feel slimmer and I also know that no matter what the number on the scale is, I'm going to wish I lost even more. One thing I am not anxious to do after my Whole 30, is eat non-compliant food. I don't want to take off the training wheels! This is something I'll continue to sort though in my head over the next 10 days. I really don't want to mess this up!

I'd like to step up my exercise game this week. I'm going to incorporate in as much physical activity as my body and schedule will allow. I enjoy yoga, rock climbing, and biking. I'd really like to add some upper body weight lifting to try to tackle all of the loose skin I have hanging from my arms. I'll have to look around for a good arm routine. Any ideas? We have free weights at my rock climbing gym, so maybe I could incorporate that in when I climb. 

I keep wondering if I have the strength to truly change my relationship with food, or if sugar addiction is simply too powerful for me to overcome. I'm scared to experiment with it because I don't want to fall down and not be able to get back up! Maybe I'm being a scaredy cat and I'll be fine, but maybe not! I have a good 50 lb to lose, I feel like the closer I stick to Whole 30, the faster the weight will come off. There are certain things that I know are not "Foods without Brakes" for me, and I'd be fine if I added them back, but at the same time, I've now learned that these foods aren't great for the human body, so why should I eat them? I know I keep talking about this everyday, I don't mean to sound like a broken record! I probably just need to accept that I'm not ready to decide what life after Whole 30 means for me yet. 

The only thing I know for sure is that I refuse to relapse.

Rebecca

Guest bfree11

Hello everyone!

I started on May 25 as well, and have been following all of your successes! I am so excited that we are down to 10 days tomorrow.

I am feeling different, but I can't quite explain how just yet. I am experiencing more mental clarity and experiences in my life seem to be going my way. Maybe because of my new found discipline! Is anyone thinking of their fantasy meals? HaHa!

Hello! Nice work! I know what you mean about mental clarity. I feel like I'm overreacting less and being more mature and slightly more patient. I have thought about so many fantasy meals... just not sure if I should eat them someday or stay away forever! I hope to figure a few more things out in our last 10 days!

Day 21, the times just seems to be flying by. Yesterday my husband and I had a very successful hike (ended up hiking about nine miles with the most difficult part being the constant up and down. According to my Fitbit throughout the hike we managed to climb the equivalent of 56 flights of stairs. It was very muddy and slick and the poor dog was filthy but she had a great time. Had a lovely picnic after the hike and then headed home to the shower and then a nap. Topped off the evening with a Chicago Blackhawks win!

This week my goal is to incorporate some new recipes...getting a little bored with some of my food so now it's time to mixed it up. Hope everyone has a great day.

Guest bfree11

Day 21

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, 4 cherries, 3 strawberries, 2 cups kale, onions

Lunch: chicken, green beans, broccoli, coconut aminos

Dinner: Ground grass-fed beef and garlic tomato sauce, kale sprouts, red heirloom spinach (trader joes!)

I finally read the reintroduction chapter in the Whole 30 book! I had been putting it off until I got near the "end" so that I could focus on being in the present moment, but today I decided I was ready to start solidifying my life after Whole 30 plan. I really liked the "slow roll plan." I think I'm going to allow little condiment-like things back in, which will make my Whole 30 meals more exciting, but stick to the meal template. If a special, and I mean special, occasion comes up, then I'll go totally off plan for a food item that I feel is worth it. Special occasions are very subjective, so I hope I don't talk myself into creating a special occasion when it wasn't really "worth it." My birthday is in a month, so maybe I'll have a small treat, we'll see. At this point, it doesn't sound worth it.

For now, I'm just excited about adding condiments, marinades, and some toppings back into my diet. I'm thinking things like: ketchup on a burger, broccoli with a tiny bit of parmesan on it, steak that was marinated in a sauce with soy. This will just add a little more variety to my meal options. I think eating sugar, soy, and cheese in this capacity won't trigger my addictions or make me feel sick, but the second I notice anything weird, I'm done!

I refuse to allow any "foods without brakes" into my home though, so I won't be bringing cheese into my house. I'd like to think that someday, I'll be strong enough to keep something like cheese in my house without it haunting me. I think the key to my success with this plan is continuing to eat 3 meals a day, no snacks, and keep the ratios of food the same on my plate. So like, lets say I'm going to splurge and have pizza, I'd still need to fill my plate with veggies and protein. I don't ever want to have a full meal with very little nutritional value again. Like, just ordering pizza for dinner and not having any veggies with it, that's not treating my body with respect. My body deserves nutrients, vitamins, minerals at every meal.

Basically, my plan is to become a normal person. A person who eats 3 solid meals a day, balanced with vegetables and proteins, and once in a while has something unhealthy. Seems reasonable. I know that I go crazy with snack food, so I won't feed that dragon. I know a lot of bread and cheese makes me feel bloated, so I won't allow more than a sprinkle of that stuff for awhile. I still have 9 more days to think about this, I'll stay open to new ideas!

Rebecca

Guest bfree11

Day 21

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, 4 cherries, 3 strawberries, 2 cups kale, onions

Lunch: chicken, green beans, broccoli, coconut aminos

Dinner: Ground grass-fed beef and garlic tomato sauce, kale sprouts, red heirloom spinach (trader joes!)

I finally read the reintroduction chapter in the Whole 30 book! I had been putting it off until I got near the "end" so that I could focus on being in the present moment, but today I decided I was ready to start solidifying my life after Whole 30 plan. I really liked the "slow roll plan." I think I'm going to allow little condiment-like things back in, which will make my Whole 30 meals more exciting, but stick to the meal template. If a special, and I mean special, occasion comes up, then I'll go totally off plan for a food item that I feel is worth it. Special occasions are very subjective, so I hope I don't talk myself into creating a special occasion when it wasn't really "worth it." My birthday is in a month, so maybe I'll have a small treat, we'll see. At this point, it doesn't sound worth it.

For now, I'm just excited about adding condiments, marinades, and some toppings back into my diet. I'm thinking things like: ketchup on a burger, broccoli with a tiny bit of parmesan on it, steak that was marinated in a sauce with soy. This will just add a little more variety to my meal options. I think eating sugar, soy, and cheese in this capacity won't trigger my addictions or make me feel sick, but the second I notice anything weird, I'm done!

I refuse to allow any "foods without brakes" into my home though, so I won't be bringing cheese into my house. I'd like to think that someday, I'll be strong enough to keep something like cheese in my house without it haunting me. I think the key to my success with this plan is continuing to eat 3 meals a day, no snacks, and keep the ratios of food the same on my plate. So like, lets say I'm going to splurge and have pizza, I'd still need to fill my plate with veggies and protein. I don't ever want to have a full meal with very little nutritional value again. Like, just ordering pizza for dinner and not having any veggies with it, that's not treating my body with respect. My body deserves nutrients, vitamins, minerals at every meal.

Basically, my plan is to become a normal person. A person who eats 3 solid meals a day, balanced with vegetables and proteins, and once in a while has something unhealthy. Seems reasonable. I know that I go crazy with snack food, so I won't feed that dragon. I know a lot of bread and cheese makes me feel bloated, so I won't allow more than a sprinkle of that stuff for awhile. I still have 9 more days to think about this, I'll stay open to new ideas!

Rebecca

Good morning everyone, Day 23 for me, 1 more week! I have been MIA this weekend because we went to Munich for the weekend. I knew going out of town is difficult, but I did a lot of planning and I think I was pretty successful. I won't post my whole meal plan here but I hardboiled some eggs, brought the mini containers of olives, some nuts and some larabars (I never even opened a larabar, so proud!). I tried to look up menu's ahead of time, but because we were running all over the city not every place was planned out ahead of time.

Our first meal place was a Greek place, they had a greek salad with just olive oil and vinegar so I ordered that because I wasn't 100% sure of the meat options. We have found out several times that Germans consider a salad different than we do, and my "greek salad" had no lettuce. There were veggies of course, cucumbers, tomato, olives, onions... but only 1 piece of lettuce. I ate it all, had 2 of my hard boiled eggs and had a few bits of my husbands meat which had no dressings on it. Afterwards we did a ton of walking around the Dachau concentration camp and I felt fine, no negative reactions to anything.

For dinner I wanted us to go to the famous Hofbrauhaus. I knew I was fine with not having a beer, but my husband was not happy that we're at a place like that and he was drinking alone. It def bothered him more than me. I had already looked at the menu and got a salad with no dressing and it came with a piece of roast chicken and some veggies. Hubby got a ginormous pretzel, and I wasnt' even jealous. I felt pretty good and satisfied.

We had breakfast in our hotel both mornings... typical European breakfast buffets have a lot of meat and cheeses, some hard boiled eggs, etc. I ended up having some eggs and sausage. Yes, there may have been sugar in the sausage but with the language barrier and such an un-European question, there was no way I was going to find that out and I needed to eat. I also took two eggs to go and kept them in my bag for the day in case I needed them. For lunch I had picked out another Greek place for lunch because they seemed to have some compliant options. I ended up getting a big salad with some grilled shrimp and a balsamic dressing. The salad comes out and there is corn and kidney beans all over the dang thing. I spent several minutes picking every kernel and bean off the salad before I started eating. We walked around the city a little more but ducked into a museum before it started to rain.  Now, I didn't particularly want to see this museum and it was a bit boring but I felt like I was hit by a truck. I felt crazy tired and like my head was out of it. I honestly couldn't pinpoint what exactly it may have been because I tried so hard to stay compliant. My guess is there was something in the balsamic dressing, but I'm not 100% sure what. I know I didn't get a stray kernel or bean, and I don't believe it was any sort of cross-contamination.

I was able to find compliant dishes at the other locations... typically it was a salad with some sort of grilled meat on top. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, but it was difficult to explain to the servers that I didn't want cheese or I couldn't have dairy. I'm sure they're used to some sort of food allergies, but I would assume people who have those restrictions just order other items, when in reality, the changes I was asking for were on the most compliant items I could find. In all, I think I had a successful trip minus that one reaction and I was glad we could still get out of the house and travel even with these restrictions. I think my husband felt worse about it than I did, he truly believes that I feel deprived and felt bad eating things in front of me when I honestly didnt' have a problem with it, I didn't miss or want those things. In the past when I was dieting, I would get upset if he would eat chips or ice cream when we were on the couch because I wanted it too but I couldn't! And he would get confused like why should he be deprived of things just because I'm dieting. Right now, I'm not at that place (well maybe with ice cream but not with chips or crackers), I'm not jealous over the things he's eating because I'm happy with what I'm eating.

I hope everyone else had a successful weekend as well!

Good morning all,

Day 22 for me. I had a great weekend and was 100% compliant because of food prep and planning. Amazing how well this way of eating goes with a little prep and planning. My husband and I went for a long hike on Saturday (about 9-10 miles with lots of elevation changes) it was hot and muggy and we were pretty wiped out after the hike. Have to admit we took all day Sunday to recover. Felt good to be out enjoying nature.

This week I challenging myself to make some different recipes to spice things up. Not sure what I'm going to make but I'll start looking at recipes today.

8 more days....woohoo. Hope everyone has a great day.

Guest bfree11

Day 22

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, 4 cherries, a few blueberries & blackberries, 2 cups kale, onions, 1/2 yellow bell pepper

Lunch: chicken, green beans, avocado, kombucha

Dinner:  Ground grass-fed beef and garlic tomato sauce, kale sprouts, red heirloom spinach 

Exercise:  Hot Yoga (oh and I forgot to mention my 8 mile bike ride yesterday!)

Today was haaaard. I always wake up before my alarm, but today when it went off, I was in a deep sleep. Even though I had 8 hours of sleep, I felt out of it and kind of sick. I had no appetite and I just wanted to sleep. Yuck. All morning I felt sluggish and lazy. By the afternoon time, I felt more focused and less sick. I had a great yoga class and am looking forward to going to sleep.

When it was time to make breakfast and I did feel like eating at all, I starting thinking about "shortcuts." Like, maybe I'll just skip breakfast, or just have a little fruit, or a smoothie, basically the thought of old behaviors was coming back. I didn't feel like cooking or eating. But then I started thinking that none of those options would give me the protein, fat, and veggies, that I need at eat meal and that wasn't fair to my body, it deserves balanced meals... So I made my breakfast and packed it up to bring to work, just like I always do. THIS is what Whole 30 is about. Because if I wasn't on Whole 30, I would have stopped for an egg and cheese croissant because I didn't feel like cooking, or waited until I got to work and snagged a yummy pastry from the bakery. The fact that I stayed strong and took care of myself, even when I really didn't feel like it, is what makes Whole 30 so magical.

When lunch time rolled around, I still felt lethargic. I walked by burgers, fried chicken and waffles, fries, etc. and I wanted it all. I wanted to eat junk food because I felt sleepy. Interesting. I started filling my brain with all of these thoughts about how boring the Whole 30 is and how I just want to eat fried junk. But, I ordered chicken, green beans, and guac, and didn't have a single thought like that for the rest of the day. THIS is what Whole 30 is about. Because if I wasn't on Whole 30, I would have said, "You know what Becca, you're tired, your drained, treat yourself to a special lunch, you deserve it." The fact that I let those tempting thoughts go in one ear and out the other, without attaching meaning to them, is what makes Whole 30 so magical.

The rest of the day felt a whole lot better. I had more energy, and was looking forward to yoga class. Some days, I dread yoga and just want to go home and curl up in a ball, but not today, which proved that my morning funk was over. I had a great yoga class. I noticed that my breathing was a lot better during class too. It was kind of an easy class today, so we'll see how I do on a more fast-paced day. I like taking the time to get in touch with the way my body feels and moves. It feels smaller, stronger, more balanced, and moves faster! Yoga is great. 

By dinner time, I was just ready to get some fuel in me and was over the junk food rebellion. I did find the tomato sauce I used a little too acidic and thought to myself that something more basic and bread like would have helped my meal taste better, but I don't think that was really a craving. I was thinking of a wrap of some sort or a little rice. THIS is what Whole 30 is about. Because if I wasn't on Whole 30, I would have thought that a nice big burger bun would be a good addition to my ground beef and tomato sauce, or a big bed of pasta. The fact that I just wanted a little something to improve the flavor balance, without messing up my nutrient ratios of protein, veggies, and fat,  is what makes Whole 30 so magical.

Guest bfree11

Day 22

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, 4 cherries, a few blueberries & blackberries, 2 cups kale, onions, 1/2 yellow bell pepper

Lunch: chicken, green beans, avocado, kombucha

Dinner:  Ground grass-fed beef and garlic tomato sauce, kale sprouts, red heirloom spinach 

Exercise:  Hot Yoga (oh and I forgot to mention my 8 mile bike ride yesterday!)

Today was haaaard. I always wake up before my alarm, but today when it went off, I was in a deep sleep. Even though I had 8 hours of sleep, I felt out of it and kind of sick. I had no appetite and I just wanted to sleep. Yuck. All morning I felt sluggish and lazy. By the afternoon time, I felt more focused and less sick. I had a great yoga class and am looking forward to going to sleep.

When it was time to make breakfast and I did feel like eating at all, I starting thinking about "shortcuts." Like, maybe I'll just skip breakfast, or just have a little fruit, or a smoothie, basically the thought of old behaviors was coming back. I didn't feel like cooking or eating. But then I started thinking that none of those options would give me the protein, fat, and veggies, that I need at eat meal and that wasn't fair to my body, it deserves balanced meals... So I made my breakfast and packed it up to bring to work, just like I always do. THIS is what Whole 30 is about. Because if I wasn't on Whole 30, I would have stopped for an egg and cheese croissant because I didn't feel like cooking, or waited until I got to work and snagged a yummy pastry from the bakery. The fact that I stayed strong and took care of myself, even when I really didn't feel like it, is what makes Whole 30 so magical.

When lunch time rolled around, I still felt lethargic. I walked by burgers, fried chicken and waffles, fries, etc. and I wanted it all. I wanted to eat junk food because I felt sleepy. Interesting. I started filling my brain with all of these thoughts about how boring the Whole 30 is and how I just want to eat fried junk. But, I ordered chicken, green beans, and guac, and didn't have a single thought like that for the rest of the day. THIS is what Whole 30 is about. Because if I wasn't on Whole 30, I would have said, "You know what Becca, you're tired, your drained, treat yourself to a special lunch, you deserve it." The fact that I let those tempting thoughts go in one ear and out the other, without attaching meaning to them, is what makes Whole 30 so magical.

The rest of the day felt a whole lot better. I had more energy, and was looking forward to yoga class. Some days, I dread yoga and just want to go home and curl up in a ball, but not today, which proved that my morning funk was over. I had a great yoga class. I noticed that my breathing was a lot better during class too. It was kind of an easy class today, so we'll see how I do on a more fast-paced day. I like taking the time to get in touch with the way my body feels and moves. It feels smaller, stronger, more balanced, and moves faster! Yoga is great. 

By dinner time, I was just ready to get some fuel in me and was over the junk food rebellion. I did find the tomato sauce I used a little too acidic and thought to myself that something more basic and bread like would have helped my meal taste better, but I don't think that was really a craving. I was thinking of a wrap of some sort or a little rice. THIS is what Whole 30 is about. Because if I wasn't on Whole 30, I would have thought that a nice big burger bun would be a good addition to my ground beef and tomato sauce, or a big bed of pasta. The fact that I just wanted a little something to improve the flavor balance, without messing up my nutrient ratios of protein, veggies, and fat,  is what makes Whole 30 so magical.

Day 23....we're almost to the end let's keep going strong everyone!

Got some different types of veggies today so I'm going to branch out with my recipes. Should be interesting....what new veggies have you incorporated into your whole 30?

Going for a walk. Ow to enjoy our sunshine and dry weather. Have a great day everyone!

Guest bfree11

Day 23....we're almost to the end let's keep going strong everyone!

Got some different types of veggies today so I'm going to branch out with my recipes. Should be interesting....what new veggies have you incorporated into your whole 30?

Going for a walk. Ow to enjoy our sunshine and dry weather. Have a great day everyone!

Trader Joes has some unique veggies. I've bought kale sprouts (cross between kale and brussels sprouts) and red heirloom spinach! They also sell frozen cauliflower rice!

Guest bfree11

Day 23

Lunch: steak, green beans, a few bites of sweet potato and yuca, kombucha

DinnerGround grass-fed beef and garlic tomato sauce, kale sprouts, red heirloom spinach, small bowl of berries

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga Class

The timeline in the Whole 30 book says that during these few days, "The Scale and the Mirror Are Calling." I couldn't agree more. All of a sudden today, I kept doing a double take in the mirror. My face looks smaller, I think! I can see some more muscle definition in my triceps, my legs look leaner, and my stomach is smaller too! A coworker noticed today too, which felt AMAZING! She said that she could really tell I've lost weight and that I looked great! WOW! Imagine what a year of eating as clean as possible could do for my body composition, self-worth, mental/physical/emotional health, confidence, etc.

Another thing I noticed today were people's reactions to my food choices. I was eating my kale/onion/hotdog omelet at work this morning, as usual, and a few of my coworkers inquired about it! The first one was my boss. He jokingly said, "Rebecca, that's too healthy." The second was a coworker and he said, "What is that? It looks so...healthy." This reminded me that the general population isn't making the healthiest choices. It's still not the norm. Maybe they eat 1 or 2 healthy meals a day. Or maybe they eat unhealthy, but they don't go overboard with portion sizes. I very simply explained to both of them that I like to eat nutrient-dense meals because they give me a lot of energy and self-pride. 

At lunch, I had a chef cook me a steak and then give me some green beans and a tiny bit of sweet potatoes and yuca. He put it on a big plate, and he didn't give me a lot of green beans, so it looked like a pretty small meal. One of my coworkers stopped me as I was walking with my lunch and said, "Wow, that's a healthy meal you've got right there. But, you aren't trying to lose weight, are you? You don't need to lose weight, you look fine the way you are. Women shouldn't starve themselves. The skinny look isn't "in" anymore." HA! I thanked him, but explained that I'm definitely 50 lb overweight and that I'm certainly not starving myself! It felt nice for someone to say that I looked "normal" though. I've always thought of myself as this huge, overweight person. Times are a-changing. 

People keep asking me how many more days I have left and what kind of junk food I'm going to have when it's over. This makes me start wanting to have junk food when it's over. Or, my version of junk food, which could even be something like rice, because I don't like to stop once I start eating things like grains. I really don't want life after Whole 30 to become a slippery slope. I will need to be sure that I have my own rules and boundaries and that I hold myself accountable. 

Rebecca

Guest bfree11

Day 23

Lunch: steak, green beans, a few bites of sweet potato and yuca, kombucha

DinnerGround grass-fed beef and garlic tomato sauce, kale sprouts, red heirloom spinach, small bowl of berries

Exercise: Power Flow Yoga Class

The timeline in the Whole 30 book says that during these few days, "The Scale and the Mirror Are Calling." I couldn't agree more. All of a sudden today, I kept doing a double take in the mirror. My face looks smaller, I think! I can see some more muscle definition in my triceps, my legs look leaner, and my stomach is smaller too! A coworker noticed today too, which felt AMAZING! She said that she could really tell I've lost weight and that I looked great! WOW! Imagine what a year of eating as clean as possible could do for my body composition, self-worth, mental/physical/emotional health, confidence, etc.

Another thing I noticed today were people's reactions to my food choices. I was eating my kale/onion/hotdog omelet at work this morning, as usual, and a few of my coworkers inquired about it! The first one was my boss. He jokingly said, "Rebecca, that's too healthy." The second was a coworker and he said, "What is that? It looks so...healthy." This reminded me that the general population isn't making the healthiest choices. It's still not the norm. Maybe they eat 1 or 2 healthy meals a day. Or maybe they eat unhealthy, but they don't go overboard with portion sizes. I very simply explained to both of them that I like to eat nutrient-dense meals because they give me a lot of energy and self-pride. 

At lunch, I had a chef cook me a steak and then give me some green beans and a tiny bit of sweet potatoes and yuca. He put it on a big plate, and he didn't give me a lot of green beans, so it looked like a pretty small meal. One of my coworkers stopped me as I was walking with my lunch and said, "Wow, that's a healthy meal you've got right there. But, you aren't trying to lose weight, are you? You don't need to lose weight, you look fine the way you are. Women shouldn't starve themselves. The skinny look isn't "in" anymore." HA! I thanked him, but explained that I'm definitely 50 lb overweight and that I'm certainly not starving myself! It felt nice for someone to say that I looked "normal" though. I've always thought of myself as this huge, overweight person. Times are a-changing. 

People keep asking me how many more days I have left and what kind of junk food I'm going to have when it's over. This makes me start wanting to have junk food when it's over. Or, my version of junk food, which could even be something like rice, because I don't like to stop once I start eating things like grains. I really don't want life after Whole 30 to become a slippery slope. I will need to be sure that I have my own rules and boundaries and that I hold myself accountable. 

Rebecca

Rebecca, its so good to hear things are going well. It really bothers me to hear the things people say to people on the W30 on these forums, there is an entire thread of things people say, and although it may be coming from the goodness of their heart, if I didn't ask for your opinion, don't give it to me.

Mainly I'm having an issue with the ice cream man coming to our office building every day. I don't know if I've shared this or not, but he comes every day between 2-3 and all the men in the building run out for ice cream. Its their daily treat and for the most part I find it funny, but they all walk by my office with their cones or sundaes and I want one... and now for some reason some of them think its funny to stand in my door and eat some of it before walking away, like they're taunting me. They all just think I'm on a diet and its my choice to not eat ice cream so they're not doing it to be mean, just funny... and I haven't bothered explaining the whole plan to them because I'm still kind of new in the building. But I certainly haven't conquered my dragon enough to not want some of that...

Jean, I have a veggie issue too. It seems to us like we eat the same veggies every day. Our main go-to's are steamed broccoli with seasoning (which I'm SO sick of), roasted or grilled asparagus, a green bean and onion sauté, We used to do steamed snow or sugar snap peas but both my husband and I realized we don' t really like them so we took them off our rotation awhile ago... in fact, are those even W30 compliant? I also like brussels spouts but we haven't seen them in the market for at least 2-3 months!

Since being on the W30 we now do Cauli rice or a Cauli mash, we do potatoes more... I used to hate potatoes but my husband loved them and missed having them so I've been trying to incorporate a sweet potato at least once a week and I think its helped with some cravings... we also did smashed baby red tomatoes and roasted them the other night in olive oil and spices, yum. I've also done a sautéed spinach in ghee and garlic, the hubby doesn't eat it but its tastes really good, and every once in awhile we do artichokes. I also found a sautéed mushroom recipe on pinterest, I made it once and it was great but the hubby doesn't eat mushrooms so its annoying to make a veggie side for one person. In fact, my husband had an aversion to mushrooms and anything in the squash family so if I want something like that as a side dish its extra work so I usually don't... but since being on the W30 I realized I want more veggie variety and so I may make some of those veggie sides at the beginning of the week and just reheat...

People keep asking me how many more days I have left and what kind of junk food I'm going to have when it's over. This makes me start wanting to have junk food when it's over. Or, my version of junk food, which could even be something like rice, because I don't like to stop once I start eating things like grains. 

I'm having so many of the same issues! People are definitely starting to notice and I love that I can sometimes catch a glimpse of my cheekbones! But I'm nervous about rice. I didn't even know I like rice this much, but it's in my dreams every night. And I'm so curious to get on the scale. And very  nervous about life post Whole30. These last few weeks have made me realize just how out of control my eating was and how much of a toll it was taking on my body. 

Thanks for sharing your journey - it's great to know that all these feelings and experiences are not totally abnormal and your posts are a pleasure to read!

hi all,

sorry not to be on this forum very much, it's been a hectic couple weeks but today is my day 25!  Jean, hope you got your fitbit, mine just died yesterday, i wore it in the pool--oops!  ordered a new one.  I too am addicted to seeing the steps and 'active minutes' on that thing.     Whole 30 is going well for me, I found my grove with some standard meals i can put together quickly.  It may be boring but fits my schedule.  Week 1 I tried zucchini noodles (would make again), cauli -rice (meh) but just sticking with basics through the end of school and a business trip to North Carolina.  Found a good breakfast place for eggs & veggies while on my trip so feel like it's all clicking.    My girls ran a bake sale for charity and I baked probably 7 batches of cookies and did not eat a single crumb!  Felt pretty proud to face my sweet tooth head on!       Some things I will go back to,   somekind of sweetner or sugar in my tea/coffee.   I think another 30 days i still would not find black tea/coffee paletable (bleech!).   I plan to stay off sweets otherwise.    Feel i have reached that high functioning level on whole30, not craving things, saying no easily to ice cream and such.    I'm a believer now for sure.

Sounds like your plans are going well, congratulations! 

rebecca- i'm from NH! i think you mentioned boston?

higgles-  i lived in augsburg, germany for 3 years, i would probably be a little tempted by a giant pretzel but bravo to you!

-jenn

Guest bfree11

hi all,

sorry not to be on this forum very much, it's been a hectic couple weeks but today is my day 25!  Jean, hope you got your fitbit, mine just died yesterday, i wore it in the pool--oops!  ordered a new one.  I too am addicted to seeing the steps and 'active minutes' on that thing.     Whole 30 is going well for me, I found my grove with some standard meals i can put together quickly.  It may be boring but fits my schedule.  Week 1 I tried zucchini noodles (would make again), cauli -rice (meh) but just sticking with basics through the end of school and a business trip to North Carolina.  Found a good breakfast place for eggs & veggies while on my trip so feel like it's all clicking.    My girls ran a bake sale for charity and I baked probably 7 batches of cookies and did not eat a single crumb!  Felt pretty proud to face my sweet tooth head on!       Some things I will go back to,   somekind of sweetner or sugar in my tea/coffee.   I think another 30 days i still would not find black tea/coffee paletable (bleech!).   I plan to stay off sweets otherwise.    Feel i have reached that high functioning level on whole30, not craving things, saying no easily to ice cream and such.    I'm a believer now for sure.

Sounds like your plans are going well, congratulations! 

rebecca- i'm from NH! i think you mentioned boston?

higgles-  i lived in augsburg, germany for 3 years, i would probably be a little tempted by a giant pretzel but bravo to you!

-jenn

Hey Jenn! That's so funny! I'm from Londonderry/Nashua and my sister lives in Exeter! I'll be heading up there on Friday for Father's Day. Small world!

Rebecca

Archived