Starting May 25th

Guest bfree11

Guest bfree11

Rebecca, its so good to hear things are going well. It really bothers me to hear the things people say to people on the W30 on these forums, there is an entire thread of things people say, and although it may be coming from the goodness of their heart, if I didn't ask for your opinion, don't give it to me.

Mainly I'm having an issue with the ice cream man coming to our office building every day. I don't know if I've shared this or not, but he comes every day between 2-3 and all the men in the building run out for ice cream. Its their daily treat and for the most part I find it funny, but they all walk by my office with their cones or sundaes and I want one... and now for some reason some of them think its funny to stand in my door and eat some of it before walking away, like they're taunting me. They all just think I'm on a diet and its my choice to not eat ice cream so they're not doing it to be mean, just funny... and I haven't bothered explaining the whole plan to them because I'm still kind of new in the building. But I certainly haven't conquered my dragon enough to not want some of that...

Jean, I have a veggie issue too. It seems to us like we eat the same veggies every day. Our main go-to's are steamed broccoli with seasoning (which I'm SO sick of), roasted or grilled asparagus, a green bean and onion sauté, We used to do steamed snow or sugar snap peas but both my husband and I realized we don' t really like them so we took them off our rotation awhile ago... in fact, are those even W30 compliant? I also like brussels spouts but we haven't seen them in the market for at least 2-3 months!

Since being on the W30 we now do Cauli rice or a Cauli mash, we do potatoes more... I used to hate potatoes but my husband loved them and missed having them so I've been trying to incorporate a sweet potato at least once a week and I think its helped with some cravings... we also did smashed baby red tomatoes and roasted them the other night in olive oil and spices, yum. I've also done a sautéed spinach in ghee and garlic, the hubby doesn't eat it but its tastes really good, and every once in awhile we do artichokes. I also found a sautéed mushroom recipe on pinterest, I made it once and it was great but the hubby doesn't eat mushrooms so its annoying to make a veggie side for one person. In fact, my husband had an aversion to mushrooms and anything in the squash family so if I want something like that as a side dish its extra work so I usually don't... but since being on the W30 I realized I want more veggie variety and so I may make some of those veggie sides at the beginning of the week and just reheat...

You're doing so awesome! It's amazing to know that you go through all the same feelings as I do! Thanks for all the support :)

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bfree11

Day 24

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, a few blueberries & blackberries, 2 cups kale, onions, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: chicken, veggies, salad, teaspoon of nuts & seeds, balsamic & olive oil, kombucha

"Drink" at the Bar: Kombucha!

Dinner: "The Fitness Bowl" grilled blackened chicken, charred broccolini, lime vinaigrette, over spaghetti squash (restaurant)

Highlights of today:

As much as I tell myself that salads are boring and I'm sick of them, I actually really wanted one today. I wanted cool, crisp veggies. I wanted to get a ton of nutrients in my system. I can't tell you how much clean eating is helping my brain. I'm a naturally anxious, Type A individual, but I find myself being able to deescalate and talk myself out of a lot of my worries lately. I think it is because I've been treating my body with respect and not overeating and making myself sick. These changes have begun to affect how I feel about myself, I think! Woah. I asked a "fit" friend of mine today who was trying to decide what to get for lunch why he wouldn't get the fried chicken and waffles with cinnamon butter? He said, because I don't want diabetes. I found this so interesting! He didn't want to put something so blatantly unhealthy into his body because he doesn't want to get sick. I love his mindset! Yes the meal looks pretty and smells good, but my health and long-term happiness trumps that when deciding on a meal for lunch. 

I had every intention of going to a yoga class tonight, but then a good friend of mine got dumped by her boyfriend and was feeling really sad. She was going to go get a drink by herself to unwind after a bad day, and I decided that I wanted to go with her and keep her company. She's been so supportive through my Whole 30 journey and is even thinking about starting too, and she told me that I should just go to yoga instead because my health is important! But, I wanted to be there for her and told her that yoga would be there tomorrow. I want to feel like I can still take a friend out for a drink when they're going through tough times without being unhealthy. She suggested that we go to the bar at work so that I could order a kombucha! It was perfect! I got to buy her a drink and be there for her, and I was able to order a drink that wasn't bad for me!

After, we decided to grab a bite to eat, and she suggested a paleo-friendly restaurant. They have little symbols on their menu to show which dishes are paleo, gluten-free, and dairy-free, so cool! I ordered the Fitness Bowl and it was delicious! For a base, you could choose rice, asian noodles, mixed kale, or spaghetti squash. I asked how the kale was prepared and it was mixed with some sort of sauce that had agave in it. But the spaghetti squash was just garlic and olive oil, perfect! It felt so good to drop all my evening plans and be spontaneous without messing up my Whole 30 at all! I'm lucky to have understanding friends and live somewhere with health-concious restaurants! I was a little bummed that I missed yoga, but sometimes we do things like that for friends. I could tell that my friend really appreciated my company, and that felt awesome!

Guest bfree11

Day 24

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, a few blueberries & blackberries, 2 cups kale, onions, 1/2 avocado

Lunch: chicken, veggies, salad, teaspoon of nuts & seeds, balsamic & olive oil, kombucha

"Drink" at the Bar: Kombucha!

Dinner: "The Fitness Bowl" grilled blackened chicken, charred broccolini, lime vinaigrette, over spaghetti squash (restaurant)

Highlights of today:

As much as I tell myself that salads are boring and I'm sick of them, I actually really wanted one today. I wanted cool, crisp veggies. I wanted to get a ton of nutrients in my system. I can't tell you how much clean eating is helping my brain. I'm a naturally anxious, Type A individual, but I find myself being able to deescalate and talk myself out of a lot of my worries lately. I think it is because I've been treating my body with respect and not overeating and making myself sick. These changes have begun to affect how I feel about myself, I think! Woah. I asked a "fit" friend of mine today who was trying to decide what to get for lunch why he wouldn't get the fried chicken and waffles with cinnamon butter? He said, because I don't want diabetes. I found this so interesting! He didn't want to put something so blatantly unhealthy into his body because he doesn't want to get sick. I love his mindset! Yes the meal looks pretty and smells good, but my health and long-term happiness trumps that when deciding on a meal for lunch. 

I had every intention of going to a yoga class tonight, but then a good friend of mine got dumped by her boyfriend and was feeling really sad. She was going to go get a drink by herself to unwind after a bad day, and I decided that I wanted to go with her and keep her company. She's been so supportive through my Whole 30 journey and is even thinking about starting too, and she told me that I should just go to yoga instead because my health is important! But, I wanted to be there for her and told her that yoga would be there tomorrow. I want to feel like I can still take a friend out for a drink when they're going through tough times without being unhealthy. She suggested that we go to the bar at work so that I could order a kombucha! It was perfect! I got to buy her a drink and be there for her, and I was able to order a drink that wasn't bad for me!

After, we decided to grab a bite to eat, and she suggested a paleo-friendly restaurant. They have little symbols on their menu to show which dishes are paleo, gluten-free, and dairy-free, so cool! I ordered the Fitness Bowl and it was delicious! For a base, you could choose rice, asian noodles, mixed kale, or spaghetti squash. I asked how the kale was prepared and it was mixed with some sort of sauce that had agave in it. But the spaghetti squash was just garlic and olive oil, perfect! It felt so good to drop all my evening plans and be spontaneous without messing up my Whole 30 at all! I'm lucky to have understanding friends and live somewhere with health-concious restaurants! I was a little bummed that I missed yoga, but sometimes we do things like that for friends. I could tell that my friend really appreciated my company, and that felt awesome!

Guest bfree11

I'm having so many of the same issues! People are definitely starting to notice and I love that I can sometimes catch a glimpse of my cheekbones! But I'm nervous about rice. I didn't even know I like rice this much, but it's in my dreams every night. And I'm so curious to get on the scale. And very  nervous about life post Whole30. These last few weeks have made me realize just how out of control my eating was and how much of a toll it was taking on my body. 

Thanks for sharing your journey - it's great to know that all these feelings and experiences are not totally abnormal and your posts are a pleasure to read!

I share all the same fears! But that out of control eating made us feel so horrible and I never want to go back to feeling that way!

Guest bfree11

Love reading your log Rebecca:)

I am going to do another whole 30 back to back this one.

Have you considered this? Just curious.

I hope you have a terrific day!!!??

Thank you so much! I've thought about it, but I'm such a picky eater, that I think I'm going to start getting way too bored eating the same few things for another 30 days. My current plan is to stick with the structure of 3 meals a day, no snacks, and the proper portion sizes on my plate, but maybe add things like ketchup, or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on some broccoli. Basically, I want to keep making super healthy choices, but I don't want to feel so restricted by all the ingredients in sauces and seasonings. I still wouldn't eat rice, pasta, or a burger bun, but if something had a sprinkle of breadcrumbs, maybe that's okay? I'm not sure exactly what my boundaries are yet. I need to figure out some clear rules for myself so that it doesn't become a slippery slope. I do have like 50 lb to lose still and I know another Whole 30 or 2 (or 4) would help get me there faster than anything else, so maybe I should? ugh, so hard to decide what makes the most sense and feels right!

What made you decide to repeat it right away?

Guest bfree11

Hey, even smaller I'm from Portsmouth NH!

Wow! My brother-in-law is a police officer in Portsmouth! I'll be thinking of you when I'm in Exeter on Saturday trying to make Whole 30 choices at my sister's house!

Day 25 and all is going well. Been thinking a lot about reintroduction these last several days. Given how good I'm feeling I've decided to continue on this journey until September 1st. After having been through some very difficult health issues last fall I finally feel back in control of my life thanks to Whole30. I want to maintain that control so that's why I'm continuing the journey.

Hope you're all having a great day.

Guest bfree11

Day 25 and all is going well. Been thinking a lot about reintroduction these last several days. Given how good I'm feeling I've decided to continue on this journey until September 1st. After having been through some very difficult health issues last fall I finally feel back in control of my life thanks to Whole30. I want to maintain that control so that's why I'm continuing the journey.

Hope you're all having a great day.

WOW Jean! That is amazing! What dedication to your health! I'm still trying to figure out a plan...

Guest bfree11

Day 25

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, a few blueberries & blackberries, 2 cups kale, onions, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 bell pepper

Lunch: chicken, green beans, green algae kombucha (yum)

Dinner: kale slaw, steak, coconut cauliflower, scoop of guac, tiny bit of herb balsamic vin, cold-pressed green veggie juice (restaurant)

Exercise: Power Flow

I got stopped a few times again today, where coworkers did a double take and said, your clothes are loose, you look great! I was told that my face, neck, and shoulders look leaner! It feels nice to hear it, but you know what? I actually already knew all of this because I was able to notice it on my own. Pretty cool stuff. 

My sister and I were talking today about fit people vs overweight people and the judgements that they make about each other. People tell my fit, marathon-running sister, that she's being silly when she eats a salad for lunch even though pizza is being served, because she's skinny, so she can eat anything, right? Isn't it us overweight people that should be the ones eating salad? No, no, no, we've had this all wrong. With the exception of some skinny people who eat junk and stay thin because of their genes (even though they're probably not healthy on the inside), if you really watch a thin/fit/skinny person eat, they make pretty good food choices and have portion control, that's why they look the way they do. Another thing is that I no longer look at a chicken salad as an unfair punishment for being fat. I look at it as a great way to pile in a bunch of nutrients that make me feel excellent. I don't crash at 3 pm anymore, I'm not lazy, I'm not depressed and sad, I'm on fire! I run around all day completing tasks and having fun with my coworkers! I smile a lot more. I feel more peace. I truly believe I have vegetables to thank for this. They're so good for my body/mind/spirit/soul.

At yoga class today, I had the opportunity to test out my brand new sweat-absorbing, slip-resistant yoga mat. Not only did it change my practice and performance, but it changed the way I felt about my body. I didn't realize a yoga mat could be so powerful. Let me explain... Up until today, I was using a thin, flimsy mat from target that I bought at least 5 years ago and pieces of it fell off every class. I had a really hard time with a lot of poses and I thought it was because I didn't have enough strength. Especially during hot classes, I'd slip all over the place, and feel a little weak. This new mat absorbs all the sweat and doesn't let you slip. It was like night and day. I felt strong and solid in my poses and my body was able to move in a whole different way. I could balance in ways that I couldn't balance before, and I felt less fatigued. I was able to do things that I had no idea I could do, and it really made me love my body. The person next to me today was a fit looking young guy with a crossfit t-shirt on. I know it's not productive to compare, but I couldn't help but notice how much more I was able to do than he was, and he kept looking at my positioning for guidance! It was probably one of his first classes, but still, it made me feel fit and healthy! I'll take any confidence boosts I can get!

As far as my latest views on my life after Whole 30, I'm not really sure how far off the path I'm willing to go. It sounds like a slippery slope with a lot of grey area. Unless I can figure out some serious boundaries for myself, I might stick with Whole 30 for a little longer. I just want to stay healthy, feel good, and be in control of my portion sizes. 

Eating healthy can be a drag sometimes because they make unhealthy food look so yummy and beautiful in advertisements, packaging, etc. and it makes you want it, but I'm just not falling for it anymore. I'm finally at a point in my journey where none of the "glitz and glam" of junk food can't even come close to the perks of eating healthy. I love the way I'm starting to look, I love the way I feel physically, I love the self-worth I'm beginning to have, I love how clear my mind feels, and I love the way I'm able to perform athletically. Protein, fat, and veggies for the win!

Guest bfree11

Day 25

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 hotdog, a few blueberries & blackberries, 2 cups kale, onions, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 bell pepper

Lunch: chicken, green beans, green algae kombucha (yum)

Dinner: kale slaw, steak, coconut cauliflower, scoop of guac, tiny bit of herb balsamic vin, cold-pressed green veggie juice (restaurant)

Exercise: Power Flow

I got stopped a few times again today, where coworkers did a double take and said, your clothes are loose, you look great! I was told that my face, neck, and shoulders look leaner! It feels nice to hear it, but you know what? I actually already knew all of this because I was able to notice it on my own. Pretty cool stuff. 

My sister and I were talking today about fit people vs overweight people and the judgements that they make about each other. People tell my fit, marathon-running sister, that she's being silly when she eats a salad for lunch even though pizza is being served, because she's skinny, so she can eat anything, right? Isn't it us overweight people that should be the ones eating salad? No, no, no, we've had this all wrong. With the exception of some skinny people who eat junk and stay thin because of their genes (even though they're probably not healthy on the inside), if you really watch a thin/fit/skinny person eat, they make pretty good food choices and have portion control, that's why they look the way they do. Another thing is that I no longer look at a chicken salad as an unfair punishment for being fat. I look at it as a great way to pile in a bunch of nutrients that make me feel excellent. I don't crash at 3 pm anymore, I'm not lazy, I'm not depressed and sad, I'm on fire! I run around all day completing tasks and having fun with my coworkers! I smile a lot more. I feel more peace. I truly believe I have vegetables to thank for this. They're so good for my body/mind/spirit/soul.

At yoga class today, I had the opportunity to test out my brand new sweat-absorbing, slip-resistant yoga mat. Not only did it change my practice and performance, but it changed the way I felt about my body. I didn't realize a yoga mat could be so powerful. Let me explain... Up until today, I was using a thin, flimsy mat from target that I bought at least 5 years ago and pieces of it fell off every class. I had a really hard time with a lot of poses and I thought it was because I didn't have enough strength. Especially during hot classes, I'd slip all over the place, and feel a little weak. This new mat absorbs all the sweat and doesn't let you slip. It was like night and day. I felt strong and solid in my poses and my body was able to move in a whole different way. I could balance in ways that I couldn't balance before, and I felt less fatigued. I was able to do things that I had no idea I could do, and it really made me love my body. The person next to me today was a fit looking young guy with a crossfit t-shirt on. I know it's not productive to compare, but I couldn't help but notice how much more I was able to do than he was, and he kept looking at my positioning for guidance! It was probably one of his first classes, but still, it made me feel fit and healthy! I'll take any confidence boosts I can get!

As far as my latest views on my life after Whole 30, I'm not really sure how far off the path I'm willing to go. It sounds like a slippery slope with a lot of grey area. Unless I can figure out some serious boundaries for myself, I might stick with Whole 30 for a little longer. I just want to stay healthy, feel good, and be in control of my portion sizes. 

Eating healthy can be a drag sometimes because they make unhealthy food look so yummy and beautiful in advertisements, packaging, etc. and it makes you want it, but I'm just not falling for it anymore. I'm finally at a point in my journey where none of the "glitz and glam" of junk food can't even come close to the perks of eating healthy. I love the way I'm starting to look, I love the way I feel physically, I love the self-worth I'm beginning to have, I love how clear my mind feels, and I love the way I'm able to perform athletically. Protein, fat, and veggies for the win!

urggh, I just wrote up an entire post about reintroduction and goals and I lost it all... so mad!

Anyway, Jean I think that a big decision to make to continue on so congrats for committing to it. I think you'll be really happy you did.

I've been thinking a lot about reintroduction as well, in fact I planned out my entire reintroduction plan throughout the month of July. I plan on breaking down the categories into smaller pieces like I've already described, so I can really pinpoint how everything affects me, and I plan on following 2 days of whole30 eating in between each day. In fact, the reintro days will be whole30 focused minus the side of the reintro food. The way I scheduled it out, I plan on taking the entire month. I also don't plan on reintroducing other off-limit items, so I'll keep looking at labels. I will most likely add honey back into recipes, but am much more aware of sugar in general so the crackers and mini cakes are OUT! And to be honest, I don't really plan on adding back in the off-limit items on a full-time basis, but like say dairy doesn't bother me... I may not choose to eat dairy, but if I'm out and there is something with it in I'll know I don't have to freak out. I also really miss wine, and enjoying a glass with the hubby on our balcony, but I'm totally fine with not having beer already knowing that beer bothers me.

Bfree... can you please tell me about this new Yoga mat? At the beginning of the new year I set up some weight loss goals for myself in 5 pound increments and paired them with rewards. My first reward was a yoga mat bag, that I bought for myself when I reached 5 pounds and kept it off. My second goal was a yoga mat, which I have not yet reached so I'm still in the market.

Guest bfree11

urggh, I just wrote up an entire post about reintroduction and goals and I lost it all... so mad!

Anyway, Jean I think that a big decision to make to continue on so congrats for committing to it. I think you'll be really happy you did.

I've been thinking a lot about reintroduction as well, in fact I planned out my entire reintroduction plan throughout the month of July. I plan on breaking down the categories into smaller pieces like I've already described, so I can really pinpoint how everything affects me, and I plan on following 2 days of whole30 eating in between each day. In fact, the reintro days will be whole30 focused minus the side of the reintro food. The way I scheduled it out, I plan on taking the entire month. I also don't plan on reintroducing other off-limit items, so I'll keep looking at labels. I will most likely add honey back into recipes, but am much more aware of sugar in general so the crackers and mini cakes are OUT! And to be honest, I don't really plan on adding back in the off-limit items on a full-time basis, but like say dairy doesn't bother me... I may not choose to eat dairy, but if I'm out and there is something with it in I'll know I don't have to freak out. I also really miss wine, and enjoying a glass with the hubby on our balcony, but I'm totally fine with not having beer already knowing that beer bothers me.

Bfree... can you please tell me about this new Yoga mat? At the beginning of the new year I set up some weight loss goals for myself in 5 pound increments and paired them with rewards. My first reward was a yoga mat bag, that I bought for myself when I reached 5 pounds and kept it off. My second goal was a yoga mat, which I have not yet reached so I'm still in the market.

Hey Higgles! Thanks for sharing your reintroduction plan! It's so interesting to read what other people are thinking. It's a very personal thing. I'm so sorry you lost your initial post, that happened to me once too! so annoying. 

okay, so my yoga mat.. people at my yoga studio either have a Manduka mat or a Lululemon mat. Manduka mats are nice, but there like $100 and take a little while to break in. Lululemon makes a $68 mat called "The Mat" and it's made out of this material that absorbs your sweat and doesn't let you slip. It's like magic. I highly recommend it! I got a purple one!

Guest bfree11

Day 26

Breakfast: 2 eggs, hotdog, spinach and kale, blueberries & blackberries

Lunch: 1/2 avocado, Lara Bar, 1/2 bell pepper, blueberries & blackberries

Dinner: chicken, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, almonds & cashews, polar flavored seltzer water

Exercise: Active recovery day: long walk for my super sore legs

Today's Whole 30 focus was on eating clean while traveling from Tampa to Charlotte for a layover, then to Boston, then driving up to New Hampshire to surprise my dad for Father's Day. It was a total of about 9 hours of travel time and I wanted to be well-prepared and well-nourished on my journey. First let me begin by saying that airports and traveling has always been associated with unhealthy eating and treats in my brain. There's the breakfast pastries/bagel and coffee you buy at the airport starbucks, the snacks they give you on the plane, the candy you buy at the little store in the terminal, the restaurant you eat a burger at on your layover, etc. I have never brought my own food on a trip, as that would ruin the fun of pigging out in airports.

Today was totally different. I woke up early before my flight and prepped some food for the day. I made my typical omelet and wrapped it in aluminum foil with a plastic fork, bagged up some fruits, veggies, and avocado, and then found a random Lara bar in an old backpack. I was very nervous about whether or not this would be enough food. I knew it wasn't enough protein, but it was the best I could do given my time constraints and I figured that I probably wouldn't die from starvation. As I walked through the airport, I noticed all the food choices that I would have made in the past. I also watched other people's food decisions. Like, I walked by a woman cramming a bunch of peanut m&ms into her mouth and I thought to myself, "I wonder why she's doing that? What's the point? She's going to get zero nutrition from that." This is SO different than how I used to think. I wasn't coming from a judgey place, I was really just genuinely curious. I did feel some temptations in the airports, mostly because I was remembering all my typical airport junk food behaviors and if felt a little weird to have new behaviors now. 

I found myself looking out for my body and my health with each decision I made. On the planes, I didn't get a beverage, even though I could have gotten coffee or club soda, but I realized that I don't HAVE to get a beverage just because someone is offering me one. This was literally the first time I've ever declined the free drink and snack on an airplane, and it was totally easy. During my layover, I decided I wanted to get a good walk in because I didn't like how much sitting I was doing. I walked all over the airport, it was actually pretty fun! 

My dad cooked me a delicious Whole 30 approved dinner and then my friend came to visit afterward. When my friend arrived, the first thing he said was, "Let's go get ice cream!" I paused for a moment and then said, "Sure, let's do it!" While we were in the car on the way there, I told him that I wasn't going to get ice cream, but that he shouldn't feel bad about that. He was very understanding. I ended up ordering a coffee at the ice cream stand and was excited to have something to enjoy while he ate his ice cream. I didn't feel deprived at all. I love ice cream, of course, but I hate the way ice cream makes my body feel. I remember the feelings vividly. And I also think about how much sugar and dairy overload it would be for my system. When I do decide to have ice cream someday, I'm going to get the smallest size possible so that I have have a taste, without feeling gross. 

After the ice cream, my friend wanted to go for a walk because he needed more steps on his Fit Bit to reach is daily goal. I was so excited! My legs were super sore from an intense yoga session the day before and a long walk was exactly what I needed. It was great! Throughout the day, I was hyper-aware of other people's eating behaviors. Not so that I could pass judgement, but more for research purposes. At dinner, I noticed that the bread and dessert were things that people kept grabbing a little more, and then a little more. I remember doing the same in the past. I hope I don't fall back into those behaviors over time. Everything I put into my body right now comes from an extremely mindful place. Theres a specific reason for each choice I make. My priority is always to give my body the best nutrients possible so that it will feel good and preform well. 

Guest bfree11

Day 26

Breakfast: 2 eggs, hotdog, spinach and kale, blueberries & blackberries

Lunch: 1/2 avocado, Lara Bar, 1/2 bell pepper, blueberries & blackberries

Dinner: chicken, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, almonds & cashews, polar flavored seltzer water

Exercise: Active recovery day: long walk for my super sore legs

Today's Whole 30 focus was on eating clean while traveling from Tampa to Charlotte for a layover, then to Boston, then driving up to New Hampshire to surprise my dad for Father's Day. It was a total of about 9 hours of travel time and I wanted to be well-prepared and well-nourished on my journey. First let me begin by saying that airports and traveling has always been associated with unhealthy eating and treats in my brain. There's the breakfast pastries/bagel and coffee you buy at the airport starbucks, the snacks they give you on the plane, the candy you buy at the little store in the terminal, the restaurant you eat a burger at on your layover, etc. I have never brought my own food on a trip, as that would ruin the fun of pigging out in airports.

Today was totally different. I woke up early before my flight and prepped some food for the day. I made my typical omelet and wrapped it in aluminum foil with a plastic fork, bagged up some fruits, veggies, and avocado, and then found a random Lara bar in an old backpack. I was very nervous about whether or not this would be enough food. I knew it wasn't enough protein, but it was the best I could do given my time constraints and I figured that I probably wouldn't die from starvation. As I walked through the airport, I noticed all the food choices that I would have made in the past. I also watched other people's food decisions. Like, I walked by a woman cramming a bunch of peanut m&ms into her mouth and I thought to myself, "I wonder why she's doing that? What's the point? She's going to get zero nutrition from that." This is SO different than how I used to think. I wasn't coming from a judgey place, I was really just genuinely curious. I did feel some temptations in the airports, mostly because I was remembering all my typical airport junk food behaviors and if felt a little weird to have new behaviors now. 

I found myself looking out for my body and my health with each decision I made. On the planes, I didn't get a beverage, even though I could have gotten coffee or club soda, but I realized that I don't HAVE to get a beverage just because someone is offering me one. This was literally the first time I've ever declined the free drink and snack on an airplane, and it was totally easy. During my layover, I decided I wanted to get a good walk in because I didn't like how much sitting I was doing. I walked all over the airport, it was actually pretty fun! 

My dad cooked me a delicious Whole 30 approved dinner and then my friend came to visit afterward. When my friend arrived, the first thing he said was, "Let's go get ice cream!" I paused for a moment and then said, "Sure, let's do it!" While we were in the car on the way there, I told him that I wasn't going to get ice cream, but that he shouldn't feel bad about that. He was very understanding. I ended up ordering a coffee at the ice cream stand and was excited to have something to enjoy while he ate his ice cream. I didn't feel deprived at all. I love ice cream, of course, but I hate the way ice cream makes my body feel. I remember the feelings vividly. And I also think about how much sugar and dairy overload it would be for my system. When I do decide to have ice cream someday, I'm going to get the smallest size possible so that I have have a taste, without feeling gross. 

After the ice cream, my friend wanted to go for a walk because he needed more steps on his Fit Bit to reach is daily goal. I was so excited! My legs were super sore from an intense yoga session the day before and a long walk was exactly what I needed. It was great! Throughout the day, I was hyper-aware of other people's eating behaviors. Not so that I could pass judgement, but more for research purposes. At dinner, I noticed that the bread and dessert were things that people kept grabbing a little more, and then a little more. I remember doing the same in the past. I hope I don't fall back into those behaviors over time. Everything I put into my body right now comes from an extremely mindful place. Theres a specific reason for each choice I make. My priority is always to give my body the best nutrients possible so that it will feel good and preform well. 

Guest bfree11

Day 27

Late Breakfast: 3 eggs, scoop of guac, cut up veggies, mixed berries

Early Dinner: a few almonds, burger, scoop of guac, 1 pickle slice, chicken drumstick, grilled zucchini and yellow squash, 1/2 grilled peach with balsamic drizzle.

Being home, where all my behaviors and habits originated, has been interesting. I keep having these out-of-body experiences where I'm picturing myself standing in front of the cabinets in the kitchen, eating the way I used to eat. Each time this happens, I get a clear snapshot of the way I usually eat when I'm home. So much snacking and mindless eating. 

As I'm getting closer to end end of my Whole 30, I continue to play around with different ideas in my head for my future. Really, what it keeps coming down to, is that just want to be a healthy eater. I'm finally out of the unhealthy spiral and I know what I need to do to stay clean. I think I can live a healthy life with traces of grains, dairy, sugar, etc. but I'm still working out the boundaries in my head. I think it will take some experimentation. One thing I know for sure, is that I'm going to continue to write about my experiences with eating each day. I really think this will keep me in check and allow myself a chance to figure out what's working for me and what isn't. 

Guest bfree11

Day 27

Late Breakfast: 3 eggs, scoop of guac, cut up veggies, mixed berries

Early Dinner: a few almonds, burger, scoop of guac, 1 pickle slice, chicken drumstick, grilled zucchini and yellow squash, 1/2 grilled peach with balsamic drizzle.

Being home, where all my behaviors and habits originated, has been interesting. I keep having these out-of-body experiences where I'm picturing myself standing in front of the cabinets in the kitchen, eating the way I used to eat. Each time this happens, I get a clear snapshot of the way I usually eat when I'm home. So much snacking and mindless eating. 

As I'm getting closer to end end of my Whole 30, I continue to play around with different ideas in my head for my future. Really, what it keeps coming down to, is that just want to be a healthy eater. I'm finally out of the unhealthy spiral and I know what I need to do to stay clean. I think I can live a healthy life with traces of grains, dairy, sugar, etc. but I'm still working out the boundaries in my head. I think it will take some experimentation. One thing I know for sure, is that I'm going to continue to write about my experiences with eating each day. I really think this will keep me in check and allow myself a chance to figure out what's working for me and what isn't. 

Guest bfree11

Day 28 

Brunch: sweet potato hash, chicken, burger, mixed greens, strawberries, jicama

Dinner: 1/2 ribeye, green beans, a few fingerling potatoes

Now that "the end" is near, I'm getting a clearer picture of what types of foods I want to welcome back in on a regular basis, and which ones would only be for a rare occasion. I'm realizing that the biggest way I can stay on the right track is to keep my macronutrients in check on my plate. So if I were to add grains back into a meal, I would still need a palm-sized protein, 1/2 plate of veggies, 1/4 plate of fruit/fat, etc. Something like rice, pasta, or quinoa isn't going to work for me because I will struggle with keeping the portion small on my plate. However, breadcrumbs or a wrap or something are things that I can eat in moderation. 

If I really want pizza, I'm going to make it at home so that I can make my own small portion. I'll use a nutrient-rich crust variation, and I'll have to buy a tiny amount of cheese. If I bought a ball of mozzarella, I'd be tempted to snack on it. My self-control may be better, but I don't want too many temptations around. I want to find healthy, small-portioned ways of introducing some old favorites in, without jumping off the deep end. Like, if I made a mini pizza for myself, I'd still eat a big portion of veggies and protein with it. Whereas, in the past, I would have just had pizza as my entire meal. Pizza as a meal on its own does not have enough nutrients to be a healthy meal. I want all of my meals to be healthy. I believe that a meal can still be more healthy, even with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

Continuing to write about my experiences each day, will help keep me accountable. As far as a legitimately unhealthy splurge, I'm considering selecting a treat to have on my birthday in a few weeks, because that's a normal, socially acceptable thing to do on a birthday. As much as I'd like all of society to preach clean eating 365 days a year, that's not our current society and I just have to find a place in this society that makes me feel good. I distinctly remember the feelings of guilt and shame after unhealthy meals, I don't want to slide back into having those feelings after I eat. Those negative feelings about myself have taken a serious toll on my happiness and caused me to eat more to try and comfort myself. My new mantra is going to be, "I'm a healthy eater." I just need to stay focused on my health each time I have a meal. I think that will help me stay in control.

2 more days!

Guest bfree11

Day 28 

Brunch: sweet potato hash, chicken, burger, mixed greens, strawberries, jicama

Dinner: 1/2 ribeye, green beans, a few fingerling potatoes

Now that "the end" is near, I'm getting a clearer picture of what types of foods I want to welcome back in on a regular basis, and which ones would only be for a rare occasion. I'm realizing that the biggest way I can stay on the right track is to keep my macronutrients in check on my plate. So if I were to add grains back into a meal, I would still need a palm-sized protein, 1/2 plate of veggies, 1/4 plate of fruit/fat, etc. Something like rice, pasta, or quinoa isn't going to work for me because I will struggle with keeping the portion small on my plate. However, breadcrumbs or a wrap or something are things that I can eat in moderation. 

If I really want pizza, I'm going to make it at home so that I can make my own small portion. I'll use a nutrient-rich crust variation, and I'll have to buy a tiny amount of cheese. If I bought a ball of mozzarella, I'd be tempted to snack on it. My self-control may be better, but I don't want too many temptations around. I want to find healthy, small-portioned ways of introducing some old favorites in, without jumping off the deep end. Like, if I made a mini pizza for myself, I'd still eat a big portion of veggies and protein with it. Whereas, in the past, I would have just had pizza as my entire meal. Pizza as a meal on its own does not have enough nutrients to be a healthy meal. I want all of my meals to be healthy. I believe that a meal can still be more healthy, even with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. 

Continuing to write about my experiences each day, will help keep me accountable. As far as a legitimately unhealthy splurge, I'm considering selecting a treat to have on my birthday in a few weeks, because that's a normal, socially acceptable thing to do on a birthday. As much as I'd like all of society to preach clean eating 365 days a year, that's not our current society and I just have to find a place in this society that makes me feel good. I distinctly remember the feelings of guilt and shame after unhealthy meals, I don't want to slide back into having those feelings after I eat. Those negative feelings about myself have taken a serious toll on my happiness and caused me to eat more to try and comfort myself. My new mantra is going to be, "I'm a healthy eater." I just need to stay focused on my health each time I have a meal. I think that will help me stay in control.

2 more days!

I think you've made a lot of healthy revelations throughout the past 30 days. In the beginning you were certain that if you let anything off the W30 plan into your life you would fall back into your old ways, but I think after is month you've realized that you can be strong, but also reasonable about expectations. A small slip-up doesn't need to make you go back into your old ways, but also there needs to be some room for flexibility so you can still enjoy yourself... like your pizza example, so good for you!The hubs and I used to love making pizza together and now I think if I use a cauliflower crust and REAL mozzarella, not the pre-shredded crap stuff, it can be a carefully calculated splurge and I don't feel like I'm missing out. I'm trying to pinpoint all these areas in my life where I can make these swaps.

I'm actually on my last day right now and I'm excited to get on the scale tomorrow and see my pounds and inches (and yes I know weight loss isn't the goal but its still a side goal :) !). I also want to be able to say I've completed this... because I didn't my first round, along with the idea of before I didn't "cheat" because I wanted to make the 30 days. Starting tomorrow, I'm on my own, I need to know for myself why I should and shouldn't eat things, and it will be MY choice. That's a bit scary because I haven't slayed my mid-afternoon sugar-dragon. I also plan on doing reintroduction as carefully as I did the last 30 days so I still expect to see good results over the next month as well.

I have a lot of thoughts about the last 30 days, but maybe I'll wait to make a bigger post tomorrow :)

Guest bfree11

I think you've made a lot of healthy revelations throughout the past 30 days. In the beginning you were certain that if you let anything off the W30 plan into your life you would fall back into your old ways, but I think after is month you've realized that you can be strong, but also reasonable about expectations. A small slip-up doesn't need to make you go back into your old ways, but also there needs to be some room for flexibility so you can still enjoy yourself... like your pizza example, so good for you!The hubs and I used to love making pizza together and now I think if I use a cauliflower crust and REAL mozzarella, not the pre-shredded crap stuff, it can be a carefully calculated splurge and I don't feel like I'm missing out. I'm trying to pinpoint all these areas in my life where I can make these swaps.

I'm actually on my last day right now and I'm excited to get on the scale tomorrow and see my pounds and inches (and yes I know weight loss isn't the goal but its still a side goal :) !). I also want to be able to say I've completed this... because I didn't my first round, along with the idea of before I didn't "cheat" because I wanted to make the 30 days. Starting tomorrow, I'm on my own, I need to know for myself why I should and shouldn't eat things, and it will be MY choice. That's a bit scary because I haven't slayed my mid-afternoon sugar-dragon. I also plan on doing reintroduction as carefully as I did the last 30 days so I still expect to see good results over the next month as well.

I have a lot of thoughts about the last 30 days, but maybe I'll wait to make a bigger post tomorrow :)

So thankful to have gone through this journey together :) thanks for making me feel like I'm not the only one in the world with these struggles!

Guest bfree11

Day 29

Breakfast: 2 eggs, chicken, cut up veggies, a few small pieces of watermelon and 4 cherries

Lunch: red bell pepper, blueberries & strawberries, almonds (on an airplane)

Dinner: burger on top of mixed greens with avocado, carrots, scallions, onions, and pickles (at airport)

Today involved 10 hours of traveling. I tried to pack as much food for the trip as I had access to that could last the longest without refrigeration. I didn't have any protein with lunch, but I managed to find an awesome dinner option at the airport during my layover. I walked around the terminal, contemplating what the smartest choice would be, and then I found the perfect place right next to my gate. It was a burger joint, called Custom Built, where you got a little pencil and a pad, and checked off how you wanted your burger made. First, it had you choose a protein. Then, you could either choose a bun, or a bed of organic mixed greens. Hell yeah! I skipped over the cheese options and the sauces, but chose some veggies to go on top. How awesome!

Now it wasn't all unicorns and rainbows, there was a moment there, where I felt like I "deserved" to order something else too. I was debating between sweet potato fries and fried plantains. I kept arguing with myself that, "the foods themselves were Whole 30 approved", and "I'm almost done anyways, so what's the difference." I continued on with, "I've had such a long day, how about a little splurge,' and "my meal itself is so healthy, so I deserve a treat." I was SO close to doing it. And when I say close, I mean CLOSE. Then there was that final moment, where I knew I needed to make a choice to either go down that same old road that I came from, where I eat unhealthy foods because I'm tired, bored, or have been so good that I "deserve it." I kept going back and forth between the two options, trying to think about which would be the lesser of two evils, but I knew that they were both fried and that it would be way too much food for one person. Just as I was about to say, "screw it" and just do it, a light switched in my brain and I quickly realized that I absolutely could not order that fried bullshit. And I didn't. It's a good thing too, because the meal itself made me feel so stuffed after, a feeling that I haven't felt in a long time and did not enjoy. I'm not sure why it happened, it wasn't a big meal, but maybe I just wasn't that hungry. I don't even want to think about how stuffed I would have felt if I stuffed my face with the fried crap in addition to my meal. 

What I realized is that if I want to have a healthier body, I have to consistently make healthy choices, especially when my Whole 30 is over. My behaviors in restaurants have to change, especially when I'm dining by myself. I wasn't trying to order the fried plantains/sweet potato fries because I was "hungry" for them, I was trying to use them to fill an emotional void. I was feeling tired from my travels, bored from my layover wait time, and "deprived" for not getting to get a bun and cheese. I haven't had a temptation this strong in my entire Whole 30, but this was a weak moment. The most worrisome part for me was when I started thinking that I was so close to the end, so why should it matter. This mentality would imply that I'm going to just eat junk food whenever I'm tempted to do so post-Whole 30. I do not want this to be the case! I won't let it, just like I didn't let it happen tonight. It was a huge step for me to stop myself from doing something that I was SO SO SO close to doing. Major behavioral change!

Guest bfree11

Day 29

Breakfast: 2 eggs, chicken, cut up veggies, a few small pieces of watermelon and 4 cherries

Lunch: red bell pepper, blueberries & strawberries, almonds (on an airplane)

Dinner: burger on top of mixed greens with avocado, carrots, scallions, onions, and pickles (at airport)

Today involved 10 hours of traveling. I tried to pack as much food for the trip as I had access to that could last the longest without refrigeration. I didn't have any protein with lunch, but I managed to find an awesome dinner option at the airport during my layover. I walked around the terminal, contemplating what the smartest choice would be, and then I found the perfect place right next to my gate. It was a burger joint, called Custom Built, where you got a little pencil and a pad, and checked off how you wanted your burger made. First, it had you choose a protein. Then, you could either choose a bun, or a bed of organic mixed greens. Hell yeah! I skipped over the cheese options and the sauces, but chose some veggies to go on top. How awesome!

Now it wasn't all unicorns and rainbows, there was a moment there, where I felt like I "deserved" to order something else too. I was debating between sweet potato fries and fried plantains. I kept arguing with myself that, "the foods themselves were Whole 30 approved", and "I'm almost done anyways, so what's the difference." I continued on with, "I've had such a long day, how about a little splurge,' and "my meal itself is so healthy, so I deserve a treat." I was SO close to doing it. And when I say close, I mean CLOSE. Then there was that final moment, where I knew I needed to make a choice to either go down that same old road that I came from, where I eat unhealthy foods because I'm tired, bored, or have been so good that I "deserve it." I kept going back and forth between the two options, trying to think about which would be the lesser of two evils, but I knew that they were both fried and that it would be way too much food for one person. Just as I was about to say, "screw it" and just do it, a light switched in my brain and I quickly realized that I absolutely could not order that fried bullshit. And I didn't. It's a good thing too, because the meal itself made me feel so stuffed after, a feeling that I haven't felt in a long time and did not enjoy. I'm not sure why it happened, it wasn't a big meal, but maybe I just wasn't that hungry. I don't even want to think about how stuffed I would have felt if I stuffed my face with the fried crap in addition to my meal. 

What I realized is that if I want to have a healthier body, I have to consistently make healthy choices, especially when my Whole 30 is over. My behaviors in restaurants have to change, especially when I'm dining by myself. I wasn't trying to order the fried plantains/sweet potato fries because I was "hungry" for them, I was trying to use them to fill an emotional void. I was feeling tired from my travels, bored from my layover wait time, and "deprived" for not getting to get a bun and cheese. I haven't had a temptation this strong in my entire Whole 30, but this was a weak moment. The most worrisome part for me was when I started thinking that I was so close to the end, so why should it matter. This mentality would imply that I'm going to just eat junk food whenever I'm tempted to do so post-Whole 30. I do not want this to be the case! I won't let it, just like I didn't let it happen tonight. It was a huge step for me to stop myself from doing something that I was SO SO SO close to doing. Major behavioral change!

Day 31.... I made it the full 30!

I can't tell you how awesome this feels... because you probably already know :) This was my second attempt at a whole 30 and it felt so different than my first attempt in February. I researched for several weeks before my first try, I was stocking up food and recipes, I was reading labels, but I don't think I fully "got" it. I made concessions when I shouldn't have, and although I felt a bit better, I think I needed that slip up to force a restart and this time has been so much better. As weird as this sounds, I'm one of those people whose period got messed up, it came a week early and was much different than in the past 2 years (since coming off long-term BC my cycle never returned to normal). And all I could think of was, omg, I made a big enough change to my diet that its affecting my hormones enough to change, and this is a good thing!

So the good points... first off, I lost 9.8 lbs, which is more than I expected to lose, but this was a bit of a shock to the system even if I was "eating healthy" previously. I took my measurements and lost a bit allover, but I could tell that by the way my jeans fit. I have a pair or two of jeans that I struggle to get on and should have just gone a size up, but right now I can pull them up with no problems... I don't ever want them to be tight again. I think my skin may be a bit clearer... its tough to tell because I just started my cycle and broke out, but I think it may be less than normal, and that previously I was a bit smoother. Not a huge difference, but I think I notice it. I also don't have gas at night, I used to get awful pains when sitting down to watch tv at night and I would hold it in because of embarrassment, but I don't get that anymore. Sure there have been a few items that maybe haven't sat right with me, but overall I don't have a rumbly tummy, and that is most important to me. I also haven't had any major headaches this past month. I would occasionally get a dull ache late in the afternoon typically on my way home (and I was well hydrated), but I'm not too sure of the cause, but I don't think I've had one the past few days.

The bad points... I didn't tame a sugar dragon, at least not entirely. I've been very good about reading labels and making sure we didn't have any added sugar and I plan to continue on with that. Even my husband who didn't do this with me was shocked and disgusted at the amount of sugar put in items and he has been diligent about looking for non-sugar added items instead. Its not that I'll see a cake or cookie and think I HAVE to have it, but in the afternoon I'm still getting sugar cravings and its fairly close to when I just had lunch. When I get home they've subsided... I don't really crave a dessert or snack, I have dinner and I'm good. But the cravings at work are STRONG, and its just been willpower to keep them at bay.

I also haven't had all of my belly issues go away, I'm still slightly irregular and I don't know if that is because I'm still healing or because something else is wrong with me. I've seen doctors for my stomach before, and they ran tests and found nothing wrong and suggested I do an elimination diet but provided no help. It took me at least 2 years before I found this plan and I wish I found it sooner. I think I would have had an easier time if I was in the states, being in a foreign country has its share of issues, something I'm learning to work around but it hasn't been easy.

So what now? Well, I started reintroduction right away. I'm starting with beans, and had some beans with breakfast. At first I thought I felt my belly rumble, and I was worried I was going to have to run to the bathroom but I'm doing alright and I'm not sure how much is in my head because I'm so nervous. I'm worried that there will be a subtle sign that I'll miss and that if I add something back in my diet I'll slowly get worse and not even realize. I guess in the grand scheme, I don't plan on adding any of these items back in full time, I mainly want to know my reactions to items so I know how to handle them in day-to-day life. I like my coconut or almond milk coffee, I don't need to add cream, I miss cheese, but I don't plan on having it long term even if I can handle it, so I think I may be building this up in my head a bit much.

Is anyone else starting re-intro right away? If so, I would like to continue posting on this. Congrats to you ladies for finishing your 30 as well, I look forward to hearing your thoughts at the end :)

Archived