Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

What's your hardest meal of the day? For me it's M2: Lunch. If I have leftovers from dinner it's easy, if I have to make something I just put it off until I'm too hungry and end up making a hodge podge of compliant things from the fridge.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all- I had a bummer of a setback today- I got a migraine while I was on a conference call at work. If you haven't gotten a migraine before, they start with sensitivity to light, blurred vision, numbness in hands and face, then they hit your language- I was able to lay low for the end of the call, but by the end I couldn't even find the words to tell my co-workers I had a migraine. Scary stuff! Thankfully I was able to take some tylenol, go home and sleep, and avoid any  major headache. I am still very sensitive, but I am feeling better. I rarely get migraines, but I have gotten them since I was 11, so I have learned how to manage them. I know that's not possible for everyone and that there are varying degrees of pain and length- I am not happy, but I certainly feel lucky that this wasn't worse.

I really don't think it was diet related- the only thing different about my lunch today was that it included tomatoes and my salad dressing had paprika in it. I know that people first asked though if it's my new eating plan that could be affecting me- I hate that! I'm eating way, way better than I normally would be. 

Here's my past few meals- does anyone had an insight? I have had some tomatoes since starting my whole30 in packaged, compliant pico de gallo from the grocery store and homemade tomato sauce. Occasionally bleu cheese and chipotle spice and migraine triggers for me.

Yesterday

M1:eggs with ghee, spinach, and hot sauce.

M2: tuna salad with grapes and pecans over greens with southwest dressing (homemade mayo, lime juice, salt and cumin)

M3: sweet potatoes with coconut milk, steamed veggies (green beans, zucchini, red pepper, and broccoli),ground beef cooked in ghee, and sunshine sauce.

Today

M1: hard boiled eggs with compliant hot sauce, veggie medley and sunshine sauce from last night

M2: greens with tuna salad, whole tomato, half an avocado, and southwest dressing (added paprika and onion powder) two slices of compliant deli chicken with compliant mustard.

Hi all- I had a bummer of a setback today- I got a migraine while I was on a conference call at work. If you haven't gotten a migraine before, they start with sensitivity to light, blurred vision, numbness in hands and face, then they hit your language- I was able to lay low for the end of the call, but by the end I couldn't even find the words to tell my co-workers I had a migraine. Scary stuff! Thankfully I was able to take some tylenol, go home and sleep, and avoid any  major headache. I am still very sensitive, but I am feeling better. I rarely get migraines, but I have gotten them since I was 11, so I have learned how to manage them. I know that's not possible for everyone and that there are varying degrees of pain and length- I am not happy, but I certainly feel lucky that this wasn't worse.

I really don't think it was diet related- the only thing different about my lunch today was that it included tomatoes and my salad dressing had paprika in it. I know that people first asked though if it's my new eating plan that could be affecting me- I hate that! I'm eating way, way better than I normally would be. 

I also had a migraine today, fortunately was able to fend it off with migraine tabs instead of having to go home and take prescriptions although my speech was somewhat garbled and I ended up wearing sunglasses for the remainder of the day.  I don't think it's the food unless you're not getting enough water to flush out all the stuff we're still flushing.  I know for me scents are a major trigger.  Jasmine or Patchouli will set one off in an instant.  Fluorescent lights can also trigger and if my neck is out of line, certain weather conditions can set them off.

I have a couple home remedies I favor, if I can catch them fast enough - believe it or not, eating a rare steak will often break it up.  Someone else recommended that to me, have no idea why it works but it does seem to help. (Unless you are already sick from it, then it's too late.  The other one that seems to help ease it is a hot pack on my neck and a cold pack on my forehead, especially if it's one of the herbal ones.  I have been known to hold a chamomile tea bag to my face while wearing my packs when I couldn't find my herbal cold pack.  Hopefully you're feeling better now. :)

Ok, have to edit - I just went through the medical conditions forum and there is some interesting information in there from migraine sufferers.  Some seem to be adversely affected by citrus, which may explain mine.  I had grapefruit last night and had an immediate bad reaction shortly after, including headache.  They also suggest magnesium supplement if you are drinking a lot of extra water.

Congratulations on day 10! 

I am feeling rather accomplished this week.  First my successful mayo last night, then I made the stuffed peppers this evening (we will have the leftovers tomorrow), made slaw, grated my squash for tomorrow's breakfast, and have my egg salad prepped for tomorrow's lunch.  And finished before 9pm, lol.  My husband is thinking of ways we can shave time and do a little more prepping so I actually have a minute to sit down in between work and bed.  That would be nice.  But in the meantime, I enjoyed my busy kitchen time tonight.

Although, I do have to tell on myself a little.  I totally demolished my clean kitchen while I was cooking and prepping.  After dinner, had pulled out the cutting board and was chopping away at my cabbage for tomorrow's slaw when dear husband walked by and said "You could have just dropped that in the food processor, you'd have been done in two minutes."  The food processor.  Right in front of me.  I had to move it to make space for the cutting board.  I'm blaming on the previously mentioned headache, sometimes it takes awhile for all the connections to start firing correctly. :P

M1: frittata with sautéed greens, mushrooms, and onions

M2: harvest protein salad with chicken, sweet potato, water chestnut, walnuts, and onion.  Mayo and cider vinegar as dressing.

M3: stuffed pepper, fried green beans and carrots

Woohoo day 10 done and in the books! Today is the best i have felt thus far! I was very clear headed today, got lots accomplished at home, walked to the grocery store this morning, walked to and from the gym where i had an excellent back and bicep workout, took a 15 minute power nap, and had a phenomanal cycling class this evening. No real cravings today and have felt satisfied with my meals. Really looking forward to the tiger blood days! Found out today that i was accepted for the condo I applied to rent, so grateful! I will be moving mid July. I currently live with my mom, brother and his girl friend for the last 8 months while i was trying to buy a house. The market is just not in my favor right now so I've opted to rent. It will be so nice to have my compliant household back. Its not easy living with people who have such bad eating habits ( even before I started whole 30 I ate relatively well). 

Keep up the good work ladies!! We ARE doing this! 

For starchy veg try all varieties of potato, parsnips, beets, squash, turnip, plantains, pumpkin, yams etc.

Most people struggle with training in the first two weeks until their body becomes fat adapted so give it a day or so and you should be feeling better.

As for eating when hungry, if you really can't eat a template meal then eat evenly around the plate (rather than eating say all of the protein...) then pack up what you can't eat to keep as a mini meal to eat immediately you feel able. Your capacity to eat in volume will eventually increase and you'll surprise yourself as to how much you can put away!!

Great. Thanks for the help. 

• Moderators

My husband is thinking of ways we can shave time and do a little more prepping so I actually have a minute to sit down in between work and bed.  That would be nice.  But in the meantime, I enjoyed my busy kitchen time tonight.

Have you read the batch cooking method from The Clothes Make The Girl? You spend a lot of time one day cooking, but then most of the stuff is done for the rest of the week. General description of it here, plus she has four weeks' worth of Whole30 compliant meal plans with shopping lists and instructions if you want to see specifics -- here's week 1, and there are links to the other three at the end of that post.

You can also just always make a little extra to use later -- if you're grilling chicken, don't just grill what you're eating that night, grill all the chicken you have, or all that will fit on the grill. If you're roasting one sweet potato, go ahead and roast more than one, or throw in a pan of some other veggie too. When you make egg salad for one lunch, double it, so you've got two days'  worth ready to go. You get twice as much done, but it shouldn't take you twice as long, and then the next night you have a little less to do.

Have you read the batch cooking method from The Clothes Make The Girl? You spend a lot of time one day cooking, but then most of the stuff is done for the rest of the week. General description of it here, plus she has four weeks' worth of Whole30 compliant meal plans with shopping lists and instructions if you want to see specifics -- here's week 1, and there are links to the other three at the end of that post.

You can also just always make a little extra to use later -- if you're grilling chicken, don't just grill what you're eating that night, grill all the chicken you have, or all that will fit on the grill. If you're roasting one sweet potato, go ahead and roast more than one, or throw in a pan of some other veggie too. When you make egg salad for one lunch, double it, so you've got two days'  worth ready to go. You get twice as much done, but it shouldn't take you twice as long, and then the next night you have a little less to do.

I love this! Clothes Make the Girl is the Author of Well Fed- the cookbook I won't stop talking about! So psyched to hear that she has these resources online! I've had a very low key week cooking-wise, thanks to all of her tips.

I also had a migraine today, fortunately was able to fend it off with migraine tabs instead of having to go home and take prescriptions although my speech was somewhat garbled and I ended up wearing sunglasses for the remainder of the day.  I don't think it's the food unless you're not getting enough water to flush out all the stuff we're still flushing.  I know for me scents are a major trigger.  Jasmine or Patchouli will set one off in an instant.  Fluorescent lights can also trigger and if my neck is out of line, certain weather conditions can set them off.

I have a couple home remedies I favor, if I can catch them fast enough - believe it or not, eating a rare steak will often break it up.  Someone else recommended that to me, have no idea why it works but it does seem to help. (Unless you are already sick from it, then it's too late.  The other one that seems to help ease it is a hot pack on my neck and a cold pack on my forehead, especially if it's one of the herbal ones.  I have been known to hold a chamomile tea bag to my face while wearing my packs when I couldn't find my herbal cold pack.  Hopefully you're feeling better now. :)

Ok, have to edit - I just went through the medical conditions forum and there is some interesting information in there from migraine sufferers.  Some seem to be adversely affected by citrus, which may explain mine.  I had grapefruit last night and had an immediate bad reaction shortly after, including headache.  They also suggest magnesium supplement if you are drinking a lot of extra water.

Thanks for sharing this info! It's nice to not feel alone. After I posted I did some more research based on my food intake. Looks like paprika (which I usually never ususlly cook with) and tomatoes are both nightshades- known migraine triggers. I'm guessing I'm not super sensitive, but that both things in one meal was enough to set me off! I'm going to experiment today by taking tomato out of my salad, and eating the dressing with paprika. I'll drink lots of water (great tip) and if I have any migraine symptoms (keeping tylenol and essential oils nearby in case) I know I'll need to cut paprika out 100%.

I have to say, I am just really thankful that I have a clear log of the food I'm eating/ my environment, so that I can actually figure out what is setting off my migraine- or at least get a better idea. Before, I would blame it on some weird "unknown" assuming I had a preservative in my takeout that I would never be able to locate, or I just chalked it up to not taking care of myself. Here's to being self aware and in control  :D

Here's my past few meals- does anyone had an insight? I have had some tomatoes since starting my whole30 in packaged, compliant pico de gallo from the grocery store and homemade tomato sauce. Occasionally bleu cheese and chipotle spice and migraine triggers for me.

Yesterday

M1:eggs with ghee, spinach, and hot sauce.

M2: tuna salad with grapes and pecans over greens with southwest dressing (homemade mayo, lime juice, salt and cumin)

M3: sweet potatoes with coconut milk, steamed veggies (green beans, zucchini, red pepper, and broccoli),ground beef cooked in ghee, and sunshine sauce.

Today

M1: hard boiled eggs with compliant hot sauce, veggie medley and sunshine sauce from last night

M2: greens with tuna salad, whole tomato, half an avocado, and southwest dressing (added paprika and onion powder) two slices of compliant deli chicken with compliant mustard.

I started the Whole 30 to see if it would help with my ocular migraines, so, I hear you!

Does anyone have a good way to make chicken breasts tasty?  Mine always end up either raw, or dry?  Tips for the grill?  

I haven't had any slip ups, and feel like I can absolutely do this, and maybe go on beyond the 30 days, when at first I was seriously hating life (no cream in my coffee, sniff, sniff).  

Because Im doing the autoimmune version, I'm also not having any nuts, or eggs,(or any nightshade veg) and I have to say I'm kind of glad about that now, because nuts are a no stop food for me if I'm hungry, and they don't actually take away my hunger.  Anyway, I know we aren't supposed to weigh ourselves, but, I've been documenting my journey (how I feel each day, etc), so I have weighed myself, and the weight is falling off.  I have still been fairly low energy, and so I have just been walking every day instead of my normal fairly intense weight lifting sessions.  I've just felt like my body wants a slower pace right now, if that makes sense. 

You are all inspiring me!  Thank you for all of your posts!  

Good morning all!

Is it day 11? Last night jimmy had Pizza Hut pizza for an 'after baseball' snack. I. Love. Pizza.

I didn't eat the pizza but I did sit with him and eat a cartons of blueberries.

I'm having a hard time getting enough calories. I make sure to eat around my plate - but I'm not a big fan of meat. Not sure if I should add more days or just suck it up and eat more meat.

• Moderators

Does anyone have a good way to make chicken breasts tasty?  Mine always end up either raw, or dry?  Tips for the grill?  

I haven't had any slip ups, and feel like I can absolutely do this, and maybe go on beyond the 30 days, when at first I was seriously hating life (no cream in my coffee, sniff, sniff).  

Because Im doing the autoimmune version, I'm also not having any nuts, or eggs,(or any nightshade veg) and I have to say I'm kind of glad about that now, because nuts are a no stop food for me if I'm hungry, and they don't actually take away my hunger.  Anyway, I know we aren't supposed to weigh ourselves, but, I've been documenting my journey (how I feel each day, etc), so I have weighed myself, and the weight is falling off.  I have still been fairly low energy, and so I have just been walking every day instead of my normal fairly intense weight lifting sessions.  I've just felt like my body wants a slower pace right now, if that makes sense. 

You are all inspiring me!  Thank you for all of your posts!  

I like this method for chicken breasts -- don't skip the brining, but for that part if any of the spices are not AIP friendly, skip them, and then season the chicken however you normally would.

Try documenting how you feel each day when you don't weigh yourself -- it can be uncomfortable, not knowing, but that's part of the process, and it's good to be uncomfortable occasionally rather than giving in to every single desire, especially when those desires are not healthy.

good morning friends! Wow day 11 already. Every day that I conquer I put a heart shaped sticky note over the day on my calendar. When I first started I thought wow this is going to be a long journey. Im surprised how fast it seems to be going. Im looking forward to another great day today! I have some errands to run this morning then hit the gym for legs. Im still so surprised how I am actually enjoying my coffee with out cream. One thing I had hoped to see more of is my skin and healing. I just need to be patient i guess. 

Have a great day 11

Sarah

I'm started using Sea Salt on my food this week. Prior to, I was using "No Salt" to season food.

It's so annoying!

It could well be cumulative so keep salting, and ensure you're getting half an ounce of water per pound of body weight per day.

A dry mouth and constant thirst can also be a symptom of ketosis. Are you including enough starchy veg in your meals?

I haven't found the motivation or energy to work out. Prior to Whole 30 I worked out 5-6 days a week and since I began Whole 30 I've worked out 4 times!

I'm hoping it gets better soon!

But are you including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day to help with your energy levels?

If you wanted you could post up a few days of your food log to see if we can help...

Today:

M1: chicken, sweet potato, 1 T coconut oil, 1/2 banana/strawberries/blueberries, black coffee with coconut milk

M2: salad from Whole Foods with chicken, veggies, walnuts

M3: chicken, sweet potato, brussel sprouts/roasted carrots

I've already had 16 oz of water, 12 oz herbal tea, 16 oz Kombucha. Still SO thirsty.

Ok, it's hard to tell how much you're eating as you haven't given quantities but you look low in fat. Make sure protein wise you're getting at least 1-2 palm sized pieces - you can eat more if your meals are not lasting you the 4-5hrs.

Lots of folk report having an energy crash in the afternoon when eating fruit with meal one, as having fasted overnight cortisol levels at their peak and the fruit sends your blood sugar rocketing. I'd probably switch out both the morning sweet potato & the fruit for green veggies - spinach, kale, sugar snap peas, leeks etc & leave the starchy veg for later in the day. It could be that this tweak will help you get back to training.

Nuts are a fat source on whole30 but not the best choice - maybe try a home-made mayo, a handful of olives, bacon, fatty cuts of meat etc & use the nuts more as a garnish.

Archived