July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roughly same timeframe - started 7/29. Having eaten pretty clean and not had any alcohol since September, I'm surprised at how hard the first couple of days have hit me. And I must say that I miss my morning egg white protein shakes (Xylitol). Sticking with it, though!  Best of luck to all

I made sunshine sauce yesterday, and it was delicious! It went well with my chicken, broccoli and sweet potato. As a huge fan of peanut sauce, this is a great substitute. Can't wait to made zucchini "pad thai" with it. 

Yesterday morning I was having some serious egg-doubt, aka. "Uh oh, it's only day 3 and I think I'm already sick of eggs", so I decided to change up breakfast for day 4 and make egg salad for lunch. I've never made my own egg salad, but it was so easy - and my first excuse to use the homemade mayo! I had it for lunch today in lettuce-wrap form, and it was excellent. 

I was a little worried about "kill all the things" today, but so far, I haven't snapped at anyone. 

I have a confession to make.  I'm doing really well with staying compliant with meals (yes, I'll start adding veggies for breakfast!), and have not had too many negative side effects thus far.  One of the only vices I have is chewing gum.  I do it pretty much constantly throughout the day, and have since I was a teenager.  I know it's off limits, and I haven't cracked, but is there ANY sort of substitute other than chewing on mint leaves or fennel seeds? (not the same, btw!)  I feel like my mouth is dry and sticky all day.  I am now brushing my teeth after every meal so that I at least feel like I have fresh breath for a few minutes.  I'm a nurse practitioner, so I'm invading people's personal space all the time, and can't stand to think that I have stinky breath.  Is there anything on the gum/breathmint spectrum I could use that is compliant? 

On a happier note...I wanted to use this opportunity to cut back on my caffeine consumption.  My usual routine involved a cup of coffee before/with breakfast and a to-go cup for the office.  Since I'm now neurotic about coffee breath and no gum, I only have one cup in the morning and brush my teeth after breakfast.  So, at least that's something :).

It's not compliant (and I don't use it during the Whole30), but if you absolutely HAVE to have something... I would suggest Forever Mints.  They do have a bit of xylitol and Sucralose in them, but they are amazing.  No chewing action and one little mint lasts for several hours.  forevermints.com

Day 3 was hard for me, but not surprisingly so... since I had just come off a two week vacation of eating nothing but junk.  :o  I felt nauseous, run-down, and lacked any motivation.  I know it won't last forever.  I am so grateful for the daily email updates.  They REALLY do help!

Hi,

Which program are you doing? I'm doing lean and am in my first week. I'm also training for a full marathon so I am doing a Hybrid.

I am doing classic. I am on Block 3. Awesome training for a marathon! Best of luck. I am training for my first 10K so I do not have to cover as many miles as you! WOW!!!

It's not compliant (and I don't use it during the Whole30), but if you absolutely HAVE to have something... I would suggest Forever Mints.  They do have a bit of xylitol and Sucralose in them, but they are amazing.  No chewing action and one little mint lasts for several hours.  forevermints.com

Just to reiterate, a product like this would need to wait until after a Whole30, due to the xylitol and sucralose. No mints on a Whole30 either.

@mrs.t_np: you can make it 30 days without gum or mints! You will be ok without gum/mints for a month.  They're not leaving the planet any time soon.   :)

I'm a nurse practitioner, so I'm invading people's personal space all the time, and can't stand to think that I have stinky breath.  Is there anything on the gum/breathmint spectrum I could use that is compliant? 

Some Whole30'ers have suggested WOW drops in the past, which according to the current ingredient list on Amazon, are compliant.

Posting a little early as my niece is visiting and I have a few seconds to myself right now.  

Great day so far....feeling really good.  

B:  eggs, bacon, strawberries, hot tea

L:  Well Fed Chili (I love this stuff!), carrots and cucumbers with homemade ranch (recipe in book...yummy)

D:  Slow Cooked pork, sweet potato, broccoli

Played day 1 in 2 day golf tournament and felt great.  Drank lots of water out of the course.

Sent my two boys with my niece to the pool to hang out and eat whatever they want at the snack bar....works for everyone  B)

Hope everyone is having a great day four.  I love this group....great way to stay accountable.

You all have INSPIRED me today!!

I started July 26 to get a jump on my week.  Yesterday I felt a bit blah and called it a day a bit earlier than normal.  Other than that--I feel GREAT!

I have these "crazy" rules so that I'll stick with and not give in at a moment of weakness:  only go the grocery within an hour of eating, must eat 5 cups of greens before eat anything else, and must drink 32 oz water before a coffee in the morning.  That coffee tastes SO good (even w/ coconut milk) that I just can't stand it!

Today, I made a frittata with sauteed onion+garlic, then pockets of tomato sauce, peppers, and basil.  OMG--it's like a pizza only MORE delish b/c I know it is GOOD for me.

Anyone else not working from a meal plan, rather going seasonal/sale to create meals?

My meals today were:

B: Sweet potatoes, 3 eggs over easy, beets and some fruit. 2 tsp coconut oil was my fat.

L: Paleo chicken soup from the holdthegrain.com website -  salad w/Balsamic vinegar and an apple with almond butter

D: Asian Beef and Broccoli ( although I used green beans) from the It Starts with Food master recipes. I added half a potato and a cucumber tomato salad. Used ghee as my fat. 

i ran 4 miles this am and did my X3 Yoga without any issues. My run was a little slow but it was super hot and humid. I do feel tired now but it is my bedtime! I did not want to kill all things today - maybe tomorrow?  ;)

Hello.

Day 4 is complete. 

Meal 1: Egg muffin with mushrooms and peppers, Broccoli and grapes

Meal 2: Chicken Sausage, Zuchinni and Sweet Potatoes

Meal 3: Chicken Sausage, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots and Guacamole

Blueberries and 2 tbsp of almond butter

Drank over 120 oz of water and did CWX of the P90x3 program and a dog walk afterwards.

Try and have at least a fist sized amount of a starchy veg a day. Especially important at these early stages of the Whole 30 when transitioning from how you were eating before, especially if it was a carb heavy diet. Add sweet potato, winter squash, beets, carrots, yams, and other root veggies. These will help your mood. They are also important to eat in the week leading up to your period. Also, try having the starchy veggies later in the day if you are having issues sleeping -- they will help with that as well. 

Day 4 done! Hope everyone is doing well. Here's my meal recap:

B - 3/4 c egg whites, 1 egg scrambled with asparagus spears, zucchini, fingerling potatoes, garlic, cooked in olive oil, 1 fistful cashews, raspberries

L - chipotle salad bowl - romaine lettuce, carnitas, corn, salsa, 1/2 avocado

P w/o - cashews, banana

D - tilapia, cauliflower, kale sautéed in olive oil, sweet potato

Day 4 done! Hope everyone is doing well. Here's my meal recap:

B - 3/4 c egg whites, 1 egg scrambled with asparagus spears, zucchini, fingerling potatoes, garlic, cooked in olive oil, 1 fistful cashews, raspberries

L - chipotle salad bowl - romaine lettuce, carnitas, corn, salsa, 1/2 avocado

P w/o - cashews, banana

D - tilapia, cauliflower, kale sautéed in olive oil, sweet potato

I'm sorry to tell you this, but corn is not compliant on a Whole30. It's part of the no grains rule, spelled out here.http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

Also, the post wo recommendation is protein and veg carb, no fruit or fat. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30. Pre wo is protein and fat, no fruit.

Day 4

M1- canned tuna with homemade mayo with red pepper slices and a nectarine

M2- chili, green salad with tomatoes, OO and cider vinegar, green grapes

M3- steak sauted in OO, 1/2 white photoe with OO drizzle

Went to the ice cream social ar the office with seltzer in hand . Stayed away from the ice cream

Have a business lunch but going to a nicer seafood place so it will be doable to stay compliant since they'll do whatever you want them to cook ( steamed veg etc)

Only 26 days left!

I find the posts helpful and encouraging to stay the course.  Today someone brought ice cream bars to a meeting and I sat between two co-workers who were thoroughly enjoying their treat :unsure:  Then had to pickup the fresh baked cookies for my daughter to have for her birthday treat with her gymnastics team.  I survived both!!  I've not posted any of my meals yet so thought should maybe do that. 

M1 - 1/2 pork chops and 1/2 cooked apples/onion - cooked in OO.  1/2 Cup coffee with coconut cream.

M2 - Sausage/Cooked cabbage.  Small can of V8 juice.  1/2 cup coffee w/ coconut cream

M3 - Bacon Lettuce Tomato salad w/ homemade mayo.  1/2 baked potato w/ clarified butter.  Grapes

I'm not "cheating" but finding it hard to stick with the three meals because with meetings at work, typically just eat what I can.  Sometimes Meal 1 is eaten over an hour and Meal 2 over two hours.  So, seems like grazing rather than a meal.  Is this a major issue if following the program?

Hello everyone!

Day 4 is over and am feeling good.  Didn't need a nap today and just a minor headache that was gone once I ate.  Am really enjoying reading everyone's posts as well as the advice/corrections.  I started the week with a couple batch cooked meals and lots of veggies.  This is easiest for me as I don't have to think too much about what to eat.  I try to keep one of the meals a cooked protein plus lots of veggies.  I do crave Ice Cream with this heat and humidity so would appreciate suggestions on how to satisfy that with something WHOLE30 compliant.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.  Keep it up. 

Hello everyone!

Day 4 is over and am feeling good.  Didn't need a nap today and just a minor headache that was gone once I ate.  Am really enjoying reading everyone's posts as well as the advice/corrections.  I started the week with a couple batch cooked meals and lots of veggies.  This is easiest for me as I don't have to think too much about what to eat.  I try to keep one of the meals a cooked protein plus lots of veggies.  I do crave Ice Cream with this heat and humidity so would appreciate suggestions on how to satisfy that with something WHOLE30 compliant.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.  Keep it up. 

Blend some frozen bananas, frozen strawberries with a little bit of coconut water in a powerful blender, and it is almost like ice cream.  Have it at the end of one of your meals, so you aren't just eating fruits on their own.  I really only need a small cupful at the end of a meal to feel satisfied.

AlisaO -- I am sure a mod will come along, but making ice cream subs has been talked about on the forum and are not allowed. They are SWYPO and are off limits until after your whole 30. Yes, they are fruit, but they are recreating an off limits food. They are against the rules.

Here is a link to the thread where this was discussed -- http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28531-banana-ice-cream/?hl=%2Bfrozen+%2Bbananas

Blend some frozen bananas, frozen strawberries with a little bit of coconut water in a powerful blender, and it is almost like ice cream.  Have it at the end of one of your meals, so you aren't just eating fruits on their own.  I really only need a small cupful at the end of a meal to feel satisfied.

AlisaO -- I am sure a mod will come along, but making ice cream subs has been talked about on the forum and are not allowed. They are SWYPO and are off limits until after your whole 30. Yes, they are fruit, but they are recreating an off limits food. They are against the rules.

Here is a link to the thread where this was discussed -- http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28531-banana-ice-cream/?hl=%2Bfrozen+%2Bbananas

Yep, what SpinSin said - this is serious SWYPO territory and strictly off limits during your Whole30. Sorry.

Archived