July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

I find the posts helpful and encouraging to stay the course.  Today someone brought ice cream bars to a meeting and I sat between two co-workers who were thoroughly enjoying their treat :unsure:  Then had to pickup the fresh baked cookies for my daughter to have for her birthday treat with her gymnastics team.  I survived both!!  I've not posted any of my meals yet so thought should maybe do that. 

M1 - 1/2 pork chops and 1/2 cooked apples/onion - cooked in OO.  1/2 Cup coffee with coconut cream.

M2 - Sausage/Cooked cabbage.  Small can of V8 juice.  1/2 cup coffee w/ coconut cream

M3 - Bacon Lettuce Tomato salad w/ homemade mayo.  1/2 baked potato w/ clarified butter.  Grapes

I'm not "cheating" but finding it hard to stick with the three meals because with meetings at work, typically just eat what I can.  Sometimes Meal 1 is eaten over an hour and Meal 2 over two hours.  So, seems like grazing rather than a meal.  Is this a major issue if following the program?

For optimal results you should be sitting down to a meal, without distraction, so that you are not eating mindlessly but focusing on each bite, then allowing your digestive system to rest for 4-5hrs between each meal.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 complete. I woke up today with a ton of energy and was in a good mood most of the day. Much different than yesterday. Still on track.

B - two eggs, sausage, and fried sweet potato in EVOO.

L - avocado tuna salad with red pepper drizzled in lemon juice.

S - five slices of apple with cashew butter. ( just bought it today so had to try it out.)

D - mushroom garlic chicken with broccoli drizzled in ghee. My fat was the EVOO and coconut cream mixed in the chicken sauce.

Great day!

Day 4 was rough for me.  I woke up with a headache and it liked me so much, it didn't want to go away!  Ironically, during the first part of "kill all the things" day, there was a fly tormenting me during my entire breakfast.  He would land on my head, buzz my ears, land on the back side of my arm, fly at my nose...seriously, he was deliberate and tenacious.  Never have I wanted to kill something more...unfortunately, he lived to torment another day.  I actually had a "nightmare" last night that I inadvertantly ate McDonalds fries and had to start over--not the hugest deal on day 4, but I was devestated!!!  haha

Today has been better so far.  There's a hint of a headache, but nothing like yesterday.  I woke up naturally, before my alarm this morning....there's nothing quite like that!  I'm a little nervous about planning for tomorrow.  I have to drive 2.5 hours to take a 3 hour test (which starts at 11, so awkward timing for lunch) and then drive home.  I'm probably going to take cold stuff with me (boiled eggs, salad with cold steak, raw veggies, nuts, berries), but I hope I don't get too hungry/trigger a headache mid-test.  Prayers and any advice for meal planning are appreciated :).

Here's my food breakdown for day 4:

B-leftover walnut crusted pork tenderloin (AHHHHHMAZING!), roasted fingerling potatoes, and steamed broccoli.  Coffee with coconut cream.

L-homemade taco meat, green onion, cherry tomatoes, black olives, 1/2 avocado, carrot sticks, fuji apple

D-flank steak, sauteed peppers and onions, homemade guac (and watched everyone else drink margaritas :P)

Day 5 breakfast consisted of 3 scrambled eggs with peppers, onion, and cherry tomatoes, leftover flank steak, scoop of guac, and coffee with coconut cream.

I'm happy to report that yesterday was a good day for me! 

I didn't require a snack for the first time this week, and even right up until bed, I didn't feel hungry. I've been making a concerted effort to ensure I get enough fat with each meal and I think that's making a difference. On top of that, I had steady energy levels throughout the day.

I also made some fresh guacamole this morning to go with my omelette, and it definitely helped me enjoy breakfast more. 

Anyone feeling like their mood isnt as happy as usual. I think eating carbs actually helped me be in a better state of mind. Maybe Im not eating enough?

Jeanbean, I have been crying off and on all day today.  And.  I already had a major pity-party and journaled it all.  I had hoped that would take care.  I get why I ate--there is painful stuff that being in a carb-sugar-induced brain/body coma kept at bay.  I can deal--it just hasn't been fun.  My cure:  I've cleaned a bit in between watching inspirational videos, going for a walk, and finishing 'small' tasks that I celebrate like they were HUGE ones (anything to trick my brain/change the think pattern).  Thank goodness I've a ten-day break--no way could I go to work and accomplish much like this...I'd be stressed and anxious that I'd make a mistake from lack of focus/overwhelmed by emotions.  It's like 5 years of PMS packed into 1 day, but it isn't a wallop like a parent died (does that make sense?). 

Sending you positive energy!!  We've got this!  Your post re-assured me that I'm not "losing it"!

Is sausage considered a protein? I had breakfast of sweet potatoes and sausage both grilled in olive oil. Is that ok?

Yep, sausage is a protein. You could probably do with another fat source next time as most of the oil used for cooking will stay in the pan... 

Looking for some insight on serving size and/or portion size. 

Breakfast Example: 

6-8oz of hot mashed sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp coconut milk and cinammon. 

3 egg whites

Lunch:

Leftover spaghetti squash and deer bolonese with steamed spinach

I'm still trying to understand what a portion looks like as well as ratio.  Is 8oz too much carb?  Is it ok that i went back for more bolognese because I was still hungry? 

Thanks for any insight.  and my apologies for any incorrect spelling..

R

Looking for some insight on serving size and/or portion size. 

Breakfast Example: 

6-8oz of hot mashed sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp coconut milk and cinammon. 

3 egg whites

Lunch:

Leftover spaghetti squash and deer bolonese with steamed spinach

I'm still trying to understand what a portion looks like as well as ratio.  Is 8oz too much carb?  Is it ok that i went back for more bolognese because I was still hungry? 

Thanks for any insight.  and my apologies for any incorrect spelling..

R

We want you to avoid weighing food. Use the recommended meal template and satiety signals for guidance. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

When you have starchy veggies, the recommended serving size is the size of your fist.

Why not have the whole egg vs only the egg whites?

The recommended serving size of coconut milk is 1/4 - 1/2 a 14 oz can.

Where was your fat with your lunch? My hunch is you needed seconds because you didn't eat enough at breakfast and had no fat at lunch. Eat up! :-)

Day 5 in the books....

B:  eggs, bacon, blackberries, hot tea

L:  hamburger patty, mustard, lettuce, tomato, water (burger buffet after my golf tournament today...was all I could eat out of offerings)

D:  slow cooked pork roast, sweet potato, carrots and cucumbers with homemade ranch, water

A little headache and tired tonight, but probably due to the Harry Potter marathon my two boys and niece have me participating in...keeping late hours with them, but wouldn't change it for the world  :wub:

Tonight was the first meal that I had that actually tasted really good to me... steak & sweet potato w/ghee & cinnamon.  Most of the time, I feel nauseous and nothing sounds good.  Things are looking up.  :D

Tonight was the first meal that I had that actually tasted really good to me... steak & sweet potato w/ghee & cinnamon.  Most of the time, I feel nauseous and nothing sounds good.  Things are looking up.  :D

Alisa I have been having the same problem intermittently throughout the week! I hope it's just something that will pass.

Day 5 complete. Very mild headache today but I woke up with a lot of energy and even did a workout before breakfast. I have moments when nothin sounds good at all and I have to force myself to chew and swallow. I do have many more aches and pains but it could be because I've been more active the last three days.

M1: Sausage and Fried sweet potatoes. (I guess I missed fat here...can't remember if I had anything else.)

M2: leftover shrimp curry with steamed broccoli drizzled in ghee.

S: five apple slices with cashew butter.

M3: Baked salmon with green beans drizzled in sunshine sauce.

Day 7!  (I started on July 26 but I'm hanging with you guys anyway!).  I'm doing okay, except for a mild headache that comes and goes and is making me a little crazy because I hoped that would just be a Day 2-3 thing.  Grr.  Anyway, here was my Day 6:

Breakfast: Hardboiled egg, steamed spinach, closed handful of raw almonds, hot water with lemon which is a surprisingly okay sub for my beloved tea with milk and sugar

Lunch: Chicken salad: chicken breast, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, small handful of raisins

Dinner: Kitchen sink scrambled eggs: three eggs for each of us, scrambled in a little olive oil with literally all the leftovers we had in the fridge: roasted asparagus, roasted cauliflower with sweet onion, minced red onion and chopped chicken apple sausage.  It wasn't pretty but it tasted great, and we were both FULL.

Congrats to us all for Week One in the books!!!!

Day 5 was yesterday and went good. I Still haven't wanted to kill all things - I guess that is good. I have noticed I am having very vivid dreams- can't recall the last time I had happy and vivid dreams. I know my sleep has improved greatly. Today is Day 6 and I feel amazing and full of energy.

Day 5 meals:

B: Sweet potato cooked in olive oil with eggs and spinach. Pineapple, strawberries and almond butter.

L: Paleo chicken soup. carrots/celery sticks and tomato - avocado salad. 

D: Leftover green bean, grass fed beef saute. Salad with olives. Beets.

Day 6 meals so far:

B: Apple sausage sauteed with spinach, onions and potato and sweet potato. Strawberries and some hazelnuts.

L: Large salad with lettuce, roast peppers, tomatoes, pepperoncini, jalapenos, red cabbage, onion, avocado and roast beef. Strawberries. Carrot and celery sticks. 

Dinner will be pork chops and pineapple, plus marinated/grilled zucchini. Will make some guacamole for my fat.

Hello! I started on the 27th too but I'm just joining the conversation. I love all the food and stay full. But I am cooking (and washing) dishes constantly. If nothing else I am honing my culinary skills. I feel good but tired and go to bed early every night.

Dani, i agree w u. The prep work is crazy! It shows me just how much pre packaged stuff I was eating. I do like knowing now what is in the food Im eating. Yes, I feel whipped at the end of the day. Hoping the tigers blood kicks in soon. :)

Where is everyone??? I hope you all are too busy having a great weekend or meal prepping to post.

Day 6 complete. I was feeling low today and dazing off easily. Not sure if it's the stress of packing and moving. I'm a little nervous about moving Monday and being able to stick with it but I'm going to try as best I can. I'm moving to a vacation cabin then after a week into my next place. It's gonna be a crazy few days.

Anyways today I had:

M1: Sausage and fried sweet potatoes in EVOO with 15 almonds.

M2: 5 Apple slices with cashew butter. (I'm loving this cashew butter from TJ. It's amazing!) I had a long break between meals which is why I had a snack earlier.

M3: grilled salmon with green beans and sunshine sauce.

M4: Tarragon grilled chicken (in a coconut type sauce) with steamed broccoli drizzled with ghee.

Day by day we are getting there. I will say today I was craving ice cream all day long but remained strong.

Where is everyone??? I hope you all are too busy having a great weekend or meal prepping to post.

Day 6 complete. I was feeling low today and dazing off easily. Not sure if it's the stress of packing and moving. I'm a little nervous about moving Monday and being able to stick with it but I'm going to try as best I can. I'm moving to a vacation cabin then after a week into my next place. It's gonna be a crazy few days.

Anyways today I had:

M1: Sausage and fried sweet potatoes in EVOO with 15 almonds.

M2: 5 Apple slices with cashew butter. (I'm loving this cashew butter from TJ. It's amazing!) I had a long break between meals which is why I had a snack earlier.

M3: grilled salmon with green beans and sunshine sauce.

M4: Tarragon grilled chicken (in a coconut type sauce) with steamed broccoli drizzled with ghee.

Day by day we are getting there. I will say today I was craving ice cream all day long but remained strong.

Just keep an eye on your nut butter intake as it is a FWOB for a lot of people, and if eaten daily can negatively impact your digestive system.

For the cravings try some kind of a distraction technique - make a mug of herbal tea, go for a walk, rearrange your DVD collection - anything to keep your mind off it - it's temporary & will pass.

Be sure you're eating adequate protein & fat intake to stamp those cravings out.

Hi all, and happy Sunday!

Well, one week in, and I have to say I don't feel any different.  Aside from some morning headaches for most of the first week which have disappeared (hurray!), I haven't had any serious cravings, but also can't say that I have seen any difference in sleeping, energy, how my clothes fit...anything.  Positive or negative. Maybe it's too soon for any of that, and I am soldiering on of course!  So to report on yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs and a big heap of steamed brocolli.  I'm trying HARD to be the breakfast person I never have been.  :)

Lunch: Chilled cooked shrimp which I dipped in homemade guacamole from 1/2 avocado and a pile of cherry tomatoes.

Dinner: We actually had the first of 4 Whole 30 dinner parties we are planning for the month!  We had peach slices wrapped in prosciutto (compliant, I checked the package) and toothpicked with a basil leaf as nibbles beforehand (I had two, saving myself for dinner), grilled steak with chimichurri sauce, roasted asparagus and smashed baby potatoes drizzled with olive oil and chopped rosemary.  I got through it just fine without my usual dinner party glass of wine, even though the non-Whole-30-ers around me polished off a bottle.  Didn't bother me at all, and that was the part I was bracing myself for!

Hope you all are doing well, and hoping *something* happens soon!  Aside from my own knowledge that I am eating better, and I guess that's something.

Archived