Full Tilt Boogie

MeadowLily

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today, I went for a long ride.  I took two bottles of booch and drank both of them.  I surveyed all of the beautiful scenery around me, drove home and cleaned house like a wild thing.  Sometimes, you just have to blow the stinkin' thinkin' off yourself... stop comparing your life and start living it.  

There are times when everyone seems to have it going on but you.  We're hard-wired to compare or even wish you had someone else's genetics.  Our expectations can become distorted when we're going through some really stressful events.  Like several of us on this thread are going through similar things.

So I adjusted my vision-happiness equation and will keep working with "enough".  I'm celebrating the reality I have.   It doesn't mean I can become complacent.  I can't.  

We can't measure ourselves against impossible standards of perfection.  I quit thinking about myself and said a prayer for everyone here who's really hurting and going through it.   I bawled.  I cried.  

I thought of you, Laurie.  And you, Hutlifr.   There are other people around me that are hurting, too.  I vacuumed and made lots of loud noise as I made some strong requests.   I accomplished what I needed to do and I'll start all over again tomorrow. 

You're in my thoughts and prayers.  We're in this together and we'll get through it.

You see,  when you stop stuffing your feelings and emotions down with food...you feel everything.  I don't use food anymore to numb myself down and out.   

"I'm Moving On"

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons
Finally content with a past I regret
I've found you find strength in your moments of weakness
For once I'm at peace with myself
I've been burdened with blame, trapped in the past for too long
I'm movin' on

I've lived in this place and I know all the faces
Each one is different but they're always the same
They mean me no harm but it's time that I face it
They'll never allow me to change
But I never dreamed home would end up where I don't belong
I'm movin' on

I'm movin' on
At last I can see life has been patiently waiting for me
And I know there's no guarantees, but I'm not alone
There comes a time in everyone's life
When all you can see are the years passing by
And I have made up my mind that those days are gone

I sold what I could and packed what I couldn't
Stopped to fill up on my way out of town
I've loved like I should but lived like I shouldn't
I had to lose everything to find out
Maybe forgiveness will find me somewhere down this road
I'm movin' on

I'm movin' on
I'm movin' on

I stay in my own lane and I don't drink.  I stick with booch and that's enough hooch for me.

There are many reasons why I don't touch it but killing cells  and being unable to repair them is another good one.  My folks don't touch it either.   Sugar alcohols and alcohol sugars, two different things but I can't trade in food for alcohol.  

Rutgers University, consumption of alcohol, from moderate-level drinking to binge drinking (drinking less during the week and more on the weekends), can decrease the creation of adult brain cells by as much as 40 percent.

In this study researchers examined the brain cell development after consuming alcohol. When the blood alcohol level  reached 0.08 percent--the legal driving limit--researchers found the number of nerve cells in the hippocampus of the brain were reduced by nearly 40 percent compared to those in the sober group. The hippocampus--where new neurons are made--is a section of the brain associated with long-term memory and some new types of learning.

This stage of intoxication is equivalent to approximately 3-4 drinks for women and five drinks for men.

"The purpose of the study was to underscore the long term effects of alcohol exposure," says Tracey J. Shors, PhD, professor of behavioral and systems neuroscience in the department of psychology at Rutgers University, who helped conduct the study. "It may not be detrimental to have one or two days of alcohol exposure, but week after week, you will have many fewer neurons in your brain," she said.

Why does booze have such a detrimental effect on your body? "Alcohol is a direct neurotoxin," explains Christine Gerbstadt, MD, MPH, RD. "So not only does it kill nerve cells, but it also interrupts absorption of important nutrients and alters the metabolism." Alcohol also affects the body's ability to regenerate, says Gerbstadt. which means besides killing useful cells, your body can't repair the damaged ones, either."

My Paw can't touch a drop of alcohol.  Not because he refrains but genetics.  Maw, too.  One time, his coworkers invited him to a dinner party.  They insisted he have just one before the dinner.  He fell backwards and hit his head on the pavement.  He was hurt. They had to carry him home.  I'll never forget it.  We all have our limitations and we need to listen to ourselves. He's never let anyone insist he drink anything ever again.  He's a very strong man and Maw, too.   His memory is intact and he can still recall small details from childhood to the present.

He remembers backroads, maps and locations, history and events.   People, music and places.

We can't let others force us into drinking or eating things that hurt us.  Peer pressure at the office is real but we have to stay strong on all fronts.  No one puts baby in a corner.

Archived