Full Tilt Boogie

MeadowLily

Some of us are decorators.   We like to place lace doilies on the table,  hand out hats and whistles to blow.  It's our nature and I resemble these remarks. 

There are others who've been here since the beginning.   They can walk into the house and you can hear a pin drop.  With the doilies in place, tough love is placed on the plates and passed around.  I go back to the tough love of 2009 because it keeps me grounded.

I can remember and quote by rote the tough love.  The soooper sappy stuff doesn't stick regardless of how many times you throw it up against the wall.   Tough love sticks because so few know how to hand it out effectively.   It is a gift.   

Waltzing around the Paleo Pancakes in the living room doesn't help.  Making provisos for every option under the sun and gazing at the sun doesn't help...you'll burn the retinas out of your eyeballs.   But tough love does work.  So does GOING COLD TURKEY.

With my lace doilies, cozy pillows, toasty socks, a cute lamp and all of my creature comforts in place I keep you company.   But I can quote by rote the tough love of 2009.   They are the tenets I remember.

I used to post them but it's better if you search them out.  They'll stick with you.  You won't forget to dance with the one who brought you here in the first place.

I like to go back to the well and the roots of my overall health and well being.  I hope for all of your Whole 30's and efforts that you get a euphoria bump.  You deserve it.  

I detect pearls in all of your oysters and I celebrate all of your excellent weeks.  Don't make plans for the food explosion that you think you want after a Whole 30.  It doesn't have to rain taco chips.  Don't let those potato chips sweep you off your feet.

Tough love is a gift. There are those that are anointed to preach it and it will still be ringing in your ears...years down the road.  It's not addled with woo woo and you won't be tossed to and fro with every wind of paleo doctrine out there.   It's sound knowledge.   It's constructive criticism.  

Lean into it.  Do not make over-rationalizations about why you need to budget your weekends for another food explosion or thrill eating bender.   In a nutshell or the whole bushel...learn to absorb the tough love from the truly gifted in that department.   

Their words will ring in your ears.  In moments of sugar/carb yearnings....you'll remember.  You will step back for a few minutes.    Think about your choices and the consequences.  You will not sign anything immediately on the dotted line.

Do not ever sign your life away.  Take a day or weeks to think it over.  Think first and sign waaaay later without weigh and whey.  

I'm leaving your doily placemat and paper hat on the table.  It's what I do.  I'm going to blow the whistle when it's too cray cray but unleash your feelings and emotions.  Just pick the right people to let it all hang out with.   

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can read all of the comments in the link up above, too.

Logging my food never helped me.  Never.  I don't log my food and I won't do it again.  For real.  If you've completed one compliant Whole 30,  you know what you're doing. 

Logging more food when you know all of the ropes doesn't keep you from thrill eating.  It's a throwback to the days of dieting.  I've watched the logs come and go.  Some use them for their own programs of paleo pancakes, cupcakes and tiddlywinks.   

When multi-crap hits the fan on Day 31 and beyond, they start logging food all over again in hopes will stop the benders and rebound weight gain.  It doesn't do diddly whop for either of those things.  Doing what you've always done will get you what you've always gotten.

I'm familiar with all of the dieting sites out there.  They log their food, track their daily weights on the scale and many of them have been there recording all of their stats for a decade or more. They weigh exactly what they started.  Back at square one on Groundhog Day.

Day by day and month by month, they log away.  They post progress photos but photos seldom change because they remain stuck in logging land.  It is time to get off of that merry-go-round.

GO COLD TURKEY WITH THE FOOD LOGGING. 

If you've been logging your food since 2012 and you're exactly where you were or greater...Houston, it ain't workin".   Hang it UP.   Stop hanging around all of your old dieting haunts and joints.  Don't go there.

Time for dieting rehab.  Go cold turkey.  No more food logging.

Did you log your food as a child?   If not,  go Back to the Future.  Remember the days when you could simply enjoy your life without tracking your every move and step and calorie and macro and micro.  So you moved 10,000 steps today.  Would you know how to find your way out of the woods without a GPS unit?

Can you find your way out of the woods of dieting without your tracker devices?  Codependency on tracking devices won't fix your brain.  You don't have to think with devices, they're like a lobotomy without having parts of your brain removed.  Fitness bands have no idea what's going on inside of your head. You can't out-exercise a food addiction and fitness apps/trackers don't change long term behaviors. 

Fitness trackers do keep up reactance.  They can set up habits you have to do rather than want to do,  more obsession and paying homage to the devices.  Some will engage in activities they can't even stand, monotonous pacing in circles or running on the dreadmill just to make the bells and whistles go off on the device. 

You might love running but not because an app tells you so.   Just as all calories do not affect the body in the same way...reactance is resisting things you feel forced or coerced into doing rather than something you really enjoy.

There's no way I'm going to do something because 10,000 paces will make me feel whole.  It doesn't. It's just a notch on my belt and a tick on the calendar.   It doesn't fix your brain or stop the thrill eating.  Logging your food doesn't either.

Bear is a tracker.  He knows the woods like the back of his hands.  He's never used a  GPS and he can find his way back home.  He doesn't log his food or use a pedometer to count his steps.  He's learned to read the signs along the way.  

Trackers perpetuate problems associated with yo-yo dieting.  If you've experienced rebound in the last year,  time to lay those things down for good.  Tracking and logging is monotonous.  They're like artificial sweetners.  They come with another hook-in-your-jaw.  Highly addictive with artificial and frivolous goals that lead to nowhere. 

Techorexia.   Self-tracking.   For real. 

If you need help, don't be afraid to ask for it.  If you don't do it this year you'll be one year older when you do.  It's taken me two years to pull the roots of dieting out of my wheelhouse. I'm still making conscious choices for my way without weigh and whey.

I have to stay alert of my surroundings inside and outside of my house.  I am mindful and aware of what's going on around me.  I look UP and out towards the horizon.  I turn around, look behind and to the sides.  I cannot wear blinders.  There are wild animals inside and outside of my house.

At the roots of dieting and most food disorders is a desire for control. 

Monitoring your calories and the amount you're burning through exercise can trigger eating disorders and cause relapses.  That wristband or app can push you right back up to the edge of disordered eating all over again.  They are addictive.

The root.  A desire for control.   Controlling your body down to a numerical unit and element.

If you've been logging and tracking....has it changed everything for you then?  If you are exactly where you were one year ago today, it's time to quit tracking everything.  Your weight and calories and exercise.

Two years ago all of these concepts were foreign to me.  I can no longer imagine doing what I used to do with hope for different results. 

If you could afford a personal chef with food handed over to you on a silver platter...would it change everything for you then?  Would you still be logging and tracking....struggling with your weight after decades.  

Would there still be secret thrill eating and food benders out along the open road.   Rebound and relapses and rebound and more constant dieting, dieting, dieting.   Eating tiny micro-meals and trying to out-exercise a food addiction.  Rebound and relapse.

Go back to the roots and pull them out.  Dieting.   Measuring.  Tracking.  Weighing.  Logging.

Progress belly photos won't fix it.  Drinkorexia and Techorexia won't fix it.

Step off the Dreadmill.  Come down from that thing.   Go outside and get the dieting stink blown off yourself.  Walk out your door and don't come back until you're good and ready.   "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around for awhile,  you could miss it."

Archived