Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

Alrighty then.  Maw's on the horn.  I'm headed for the ridge.  I have so many questions and I want answers.

You know why...you know why.   One Day 31,  how many have we watched dive off into the deep end and go off thrill eating...never to be heard from again.    A full-on food bender.   

I want to be armed with info,  stuffed to the gills with reinforcement.  My Whole 30 Tool Kit must be finely tuned with everything I'll need when I'm gone for good.   When I am no longer standing at the door but I've flitted off into the forest.

Now...I'm crying.   I'm already at my funeral and I'm hanging around...hoping that you're all bawling your heads off because you miss me.   You really miss me.   Some are blowing raspberries and saying....Ooooo goodie,  that wind bag hot air balloon is gone for good.   But I'm watching and listening and I decide......I decide.....

I'm baaaaaack.   I decided it was not my time to go.  I'm sticking around.   So go ahead and make those faces.baeh-smiley.gif?1292867551I'm here for the party and I ain't ready to go just yet.   Wild horses couldn't drag me away.   I'm glad Carla is here.    Yay!yaysmilesa-smiley.gif?1292867704

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I think it's the fruit that he doesn't want to give up. 

When I mention that eating 5 or 6 fruits in one sitting isn't healthy - he'll try to cut back for a few days.  But then he's right back and eating again....

I've even suggested that we buy less fruit.... If we do that he just raids his mom's fridge (we live nearby).... :blink:

I've even suggested that he eat one less fruit everyday until he's down to 2 or 3...

He's not big into cookies, ice cream, and baked goods like I was.  He keeps on telling me that it isn't the same thing.  I agree with him that fruit is definitely a better choice than my previous choices, but to say that he doesn't like sweets (after he's stuffed the 5th dried fig in his mouth) is not true.  His vice is fruit... and too much of it.

I've said this here often, and I've no doubt I'll say it some more - the liver is the only organ that can process the fructose - the only organ. Pretty much every other cell in the human body can breakdown glucose, but fructose is different. Eating that amount of fruit is putting an enormous amount of pressure on the liver & the heart, and reeks about as much havoc on the body as alcohol because of the way it is metabolized, inhibiting the fat burning process and causing increased body fat even on a calorie restricted diet.

Tell him to walk away from the dried figs.

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Brewer.   One more.   I would like your opinion about fat cell sensitivities.   Do plumped up fat cells ever go away or are we stuck with their largest dimensions forever.   

We are all born with fat cells.  the cells we have, we will always have.  When our body is triggered to "store", that fat goes into the cells.  The cells stretch as more and more are stored in them.  Think of the cells like balloons - you can put air in them, take it out, add more in.  The balloon never goes away.

Some of us are more easily triggered to "store".  (genetics)  The foods we eat trigger the body to "store" (sugars)   When we don't eat proper nutrients, the body is triggered to "store".  The only way to get rid - stopping all the storing.  Exercise in conjunction with the proper diet will help our body burn all that extra "storage".  

Lily, re: why wheat would make you sad.

Dr. Perlmutter talks about all of these things just in chapter 6, which is called "Brain Drain: How Gluten Robs You and Your Children's Peace of Mind".

Dementia

ADHD

Anxiety disorder

Tourette's syndrome

Mental illness

Migraines

Autism

Developmental delay

Learning difficulties

Tic disorders

Depression

Schizophrenia

Headaches

^ And that is just a quick list as I went back through the chapter & skimmed.

And that does not even include the rest of the book.

If the REMOVAL of gluten can have such a positive impact on these things -- is it any wonder that we would have a noticeable mental or emotional reaction to it, even if we have no physical symptoms (like how many people think they are "just fine" with gluten if their bowels are okay). He explains in detail WHY it affects us this way. It is way more detailed than I can type here on my phone. :D

And on the subject of fat cells. I know I have read somewhere recently that the whole "fat cells never die" thing has been disproven. I am just not sure of my source.

I gained quite a bit of weight with all 3 pregnancies and I never feel like those fat cells are just hanging around waiting for me to fill them back up. I certainly have never felt like they were screaming at me.

I understand what you are saying, and what you are going through is very real. I just think it has a lot more to do with the gut/brain connection, which I am reading about in Brain Maker (albeit slowly) and I hope to have more answers for you soon.

Maybe read through the reviews for Skinny Gut Diet and see if you find any useful info there. I heard that woman on a podcast and she seemed very knowledgable about this whole microbiome & how it relates to fat loss. I also think she has products to sell -- and if I remember correctly, that may have been in the negative reviews for the book. So I am not saying buy it, just maybe check out what others have to say on the reviews & see if there are any rabbit trails you want to follow. You know, just for fun. ;)

We are all born with fat cells.  the cells we have, we will always have.  When our body is triggered to "store", that fat goes into the cells.  The cells stretch as more and more are stored in them.  Think of the cells like balloons - you can put air in them, take it out, add more in.  The balloon never goes away.

Some of us are more easily triggered to "store".  (genetics)  The foods we eat trigger the body to "store" (sugars)   When we don't eat proper nutrients, the body is triggered to "store".  The only way to get rid - stopping all the storing.  Exercise in conjunction with the proper diet will help our body burn all that extra "storage".  

Excellent.  I can totally relate to the balloons.   I used to feel like I was filled with helium. 

Lily, re: why wheat would make you sad.

Dr. Perlmutter talks about all of these things just in chapter 6, which is called "Brain Drain: How Gluten Robs You and Your Children's Peace of Mind".

Dementia

ADHD

Anxiety disorder

Tourette's syndrome

Mental illness

Migraines

Autism

Developmental delay

Learning difficulties

Tic disorders

Depression

Schizophrenia

Headaches

^ And that is just a quick list as I went back through the chapter & skimmed.

And that does not even include the rest of the book.

If the REMOVAL of gluten can have such a positive impact on these things -- is it any wonder that we would have a noticeable mental or emotional reaction to it, even if we have no physical symptoms (like how many people think they are "just fine" with gluten if their bowels are okay). He explains in detail WHY it affects us this way. It is way more detailed than I can type here on my phone. :D

I was thinking on my way back down the ridge about wheat.   Is anyone out there in the mass production of wheat crops listening to us....have we made a dent in their profits.

Fish, fish, fish and vege and more fish, fish, fish.   I could tell a difference within a few months time.  

"Having a gut dominated by Firmicutes has its consequences, for multiple studies have also shown that Firmicutes help regulate human metabolic genes. That means these bacteria, which are so abundant in overweight humans, are actually controlling genes that adversely impact metabolism. They are, in essence, hijacking our DNA and creating a scenario in which our body thinks it needs to retain calories."

"But, as they also revealed in their study, you can change this. Just increasing dietary fiber can improve the ratio."

-- Brain Maker, pages 99-100

When I ditched the fruit smoothies, bread, chips and salsa...I now dance it,  everything changed.     Ooooo, and you have to ditch all of the frickin' snacks.   No snacks inbetween meals to balance out the BS.   4-5 hours inbetween meals.     I cut out all of the heavy cream/ice cream.   This isn't a kid's party!  It's a whole foods/ positive food management plan, after all.

Heavy cream and sugar - ice cream sent me into oblivion.  I couldn't get enough of that and fruit.   Throw your wheat in there and you have the perfect cocktail  for disaster.  

"Having a gut dominated by Firmicutes has its consequences, for multiple studies have also shown that Firmicutes help regulate human metabolic genes. That means these bacteria, which are so abundant in overweight humans, are actually controlling genes that adversely impact metabolism. They are, in essence, hijacking our DNA and creating a scenario in which our body thinks it needs to retain calories."

"But, as they also revealed in their study, you can change this. Just increasing dietary fiber can improve the ratio."

-- Brain Maker, pages 99-100

Vege, vege and more vege.  The healing is in the leaves and greens.  That's the ticket for getting rid of diabetes, too. 

Brewer.  Bueller.   Anyone.   

Too much sugar raises blood pressure as well as blood sugar.  140/94 is not the end of the world but it was another huge wakeup call to make a major change or be on medication.  I hit that.   Temporary blood pressure fluctuations happen but I was going into nosebleed territory.

So I took the warning.  I've been sticking to my healthy whole food positive management plan and my blood pressure came down.  Hopefully, I will never have to go on blood pressure medicine,  or insulin or statin drugs or any of it ever again. 

I know this might sound bizarre but when I used to eat pizza or bread,  I could feel my thighs grow in a day's time. 

balloons-smiley.gif?1292867552

You know, I don't think it sounds bizarre. Inflammation makes us retain water. I read an entire book one time that was based on the premise that if you are reacting to a food -- no matter WHAT it is -- it will show up as an increase on the scale the next day.

I was thinking about this when I read Karen's post about the cookie. I "should" be able to eat one cookie. Well.... Not if it is a food that causes a huge inflammatory response. Karen, I would bet if you had that full panel of gluten sensitivity testing done -- you may find that you are highly sensitive.

Wheat tolerance is a perk but not a promise.   I can't handle cookies or cake or donuts or croissants or bread bowls or sub sandwiches ...any of it.  

Anyone ever try to live on those cardboard box dinners...even the branded diet ones?   Ever notice how you can't eat just one.  One doesn't satisfy,  you could eat 3 or 4 of them in a row.

Yeah.  It's because they are so highly engineered to be craved with just the right amount of fat, sugar, wheat and salt....that your body screams for more.  Small boxes of happy horse sheet made just for you with a highly addictive quality to them.   Women have their carts loaded with those things and they don't help a single person.  Most of the ingredients you're paying for is all refined carbs with a few tiddlywinks of that awful chicken.  Every single one of those boxes tastes identical.   

The mokapot tends to give a smoother flavour much like an espresso, probably because the water only passes through the ground coffee once. It would have a much stronger flavour & a higher caffeine content than a drip machine, but because the water pressure is lower it's not exactly the same as an espresso. How much you get depends on the size of your mokapot - I use a Bialetti 10oz which is equivalent  to 6 espresso shots - and can be taken straight up, or with added water milk & sugar/sweetener, or for speciality coffee (like latte etc).

The percolator tends to give a harsher flavour because the water temp gets much higher, and because the water then travels up through the coffee & then back down again - it's much like the coffee you get from a drip machine in terms of both flavour & caffeine content, although you do get that nice strong smell as it brews.

Either way, they're both better than instant (bleurgh!).

Instant? Who drinks that? *Mortified*  :( 

I didn't eat every 2 hours when I was a kid.   We had 3 meals aday and no snacks.  We didn't take snacks on the school bus, no eating allowed.  

Water is very important and I don't remember drinking any/much throughout the day when I was in school...did any of you?

Nope. I never drank much water in my youth. I still have a problem drinking much water now. Back then I think I had more juice and sodas. Also, we never got snacks. 

The energizer bunny... How I can relate to that... My brain reset with whole30 did not take care of "that problem"... As a matter of fact I believe we get hardwired a certain way by our upbringing. If I don't zoom around like a chicken without head, it's because I am sick, or injured. I have a real tough time "doing nothing" because growing up, I was taught you were lazy if you sit down and do nothing. Down time at home was used to mend things, or work on your knitting project, or something else. Even reading a book was considered unproductive. It's gotten better thru my early retirement years, thanks to my significant other, who kept reminding me to sit down, unwind, and do nothing... But now it's become my refuge, being busy the whole day helps me forget my pain, my loneliness, and my despair. They don't call me "speedy Gonzalez" for nothing :) it's a struggle to put my feet up. ,aye we ought to have an alarm going off to remind us to sit down, and just relax!

Aye! My husband and I are opposite on this- I was told while growing up/working in the restaurant industry for 10 years that, "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean!" I cannot just do nothing. I can be tired and keep going, because otherwise, things will just.not.get.done. Also, I hate when people shuffle their feet! I remember being told "Pick up your FEET!" over and over again. None of us were allowed to be bored/tired/depressed. Nope. Not our family.

The kids and I just finished watching That Sugar Film.

It was $2.99 to rent it for a week on Amazon -- and worth every penny.  I wish I could share it with every one of you.  I wish we could all sit and watch it and laugh and cry together.  Because, YES.  It was one of those that was hilarious at times and so sad, all in the same package.

I wish I could share it with all of my family members.  

I wish I could send the link to my parents right now and not think they were going to roll their eyes and sigh about me talking nutrition again.

Instead, I will just share it here with my friends, where I know it is appreciated.  Please watch it if you ever get a chance.  :)

Okay.  I will try to find that.   This is a judgment free zone and we spill our guts about our health and the things we really care about.   That includes each other.  group-hug1-smiley.gif?1292867610Hugs and kisses all around to everyone up in the Brewer Clubhouse.  Lancer,  I hope you've remembered the secret password.  Mum's the word.   Lurve all of you.   camp-fire-smiley.gif?1292867563

Lancer, I am glad to hear from you tonight.  

There are so many pages of stuff I have had to skim and then it's moved so quickly sometimes -- but don't I remember you saying you got the dental book I recommended?  If so -- how do you like it so far?

I have a spot that is sensitive on one of my teeth.  The dentist could find nothing at all, except there was one little spot of filling that was missing.  They thought that must be it.  So they filled it in.  $80 out of pocket later -- and, nope.  Didn't change a thing!

I would love to be able to reverse this ~whatever it is~ and not have to pay another dime.  I suppose I should just read the book.  

...You know, because I don't have any others on my list!   :rolleyes:   haha

Do you ever have favorite spots on a long, lonesome highway where you can look as far as the eye can see and it sticks with you forever?  I have places like that on these high plains.  Sometimes, I want to get in my car and just go back there so I can feel what it looks like.  It's a good feeling.  The wide open plains.   This is it, right here.  I always think about this place.  I don't know why.   When I come to this place, it's deja vous or something deep within my soul that makes me happy to look across the plains.

wr-along-boysen-sp01.gif

Archived