Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

Karen, I don't know how you do it. Since I have really been able to make sleep a priority, I feel SUCH a difference when I don't get it.

All those years with little kids, I guess I didn't know the difference. It was just my reality. But I can't say my moods were the greatest. :(

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fish, fish, fish.....

Woohoo!! I'm eating fish tonight. My night in with some unknown folks, hosted by a mutual friend was postponed until tonight & in the week that's passed I've managed to persuade the host to eat out rather than ordering in Chinese - the one type of food I REALLY struggle with, and don't actually like that much anyways. So NSV for me...........  :D 

Off to clock up another 5k on the treadmill, shower, apply war paint, slip on some skinny jeans, some uncomfortable heels & go - I'll catch you all later folks - have a good one!!

That shouldn't be a problem for you because the best meals I've ever had in my life were in Ireland.  The fish and fresh vege.  It's heaven on earth.   You're the fortunate one, jmcbn.   Ireland looks like heaven to me. The food is delish and fresh.  I've never been so healthy like my time in Ireland.  I kid you not and I'm not blowing smoke up in here.  No make-believe, phony bologna, trumped up stories.   

No BS up in the clubhouse.  This is not the Rookie Season.  Ireland made me a believer in fish and whole foods.   Often imitated but never duplicated.  You have to go to Ireland for the authentic experience.  Ireland calls out to me.  God Save the Queen.  I think she would be great to go fishing with.  She's no quitter.  She would love the Whole 30.   Think of the tea parties we could have.   

This is what reality looks like.   Don't hand me no lines and keep yo'hands to yo'self.   Song trigger.

One more.  For the Bear.   Are you on that W30 again?   What are you doing in there...who you talking to now?chat-smiley.gif?1292867567

You get on the horn with your girlfriends  and I can't believe the things that you say...every day...Get in here right now because lunch is ready.   If you don't get off there,  I will feed it to the squirrels and bears.  

Begging you baby, why don't you give it a rest.   I can't believe the things that you say, every day.  check-email-smiley.gif?1292867567AAAAAAAhhhhhhhh!coffee-screen-smiley.gif?1292867572    coffee-screen-smiley.gif?1292867572      coffee-screen-smiley.gif?1292867572

Ok, treadmill done - I aimed for time rather than distance and managed 15mins @ 4% gradient, 15mins @ 5.5% gradient, and 15mins @ 7.5% gradient - all at a speed of about 4miles per hr and I can safely say I worked up a sweat and although I'd much rather be throwing some weights around it still hit a spot, not THE spot, but *a* spot - which is progress, and any progress is good in my book.

Anyway, I digress...

Whilst pounding it out on the treadmill I was thinking that everyone on this thread wants to help people - that's kind of the central force I think. My journey started with me wanting to help my son, and will ultimately (fingers etc crossed) end with me helping numerous other kids in his position, battling food allergies & dealing with illnesses caused by food.

So, yes, lets all keep reading, watching, talking, learning & sharing what we know - and eventually people will start to sit up and listen, even if it's just one person at a time.

PS. Carla, my entire family roll their eyes at me when I start talking food. Occasionally their eyes even glaze over.... My friends have just learned to deal with my 'quirks'

Right, gotta shower - there's fish to be eaten & people to convert!!  :P

This is what we share.     We share a common thread on this thread.  We want to help our families and friends and loved ones.   explanation-smiley.gif?1292867591

Don't shout us down while we're preachin' good.   We may roar but we do mean well...from the bottom of  our hearts.   Brewer....the clubhouse, the password and finely tuned rules.   No BS.   No bologna.  

Have reality.  Will travel. hurrican-smiley.gif?1292867622

Ok, so I need to increase my fish intake... Got it. I have done the once a day thing for a while, because of low iodine levels. I am still worried about the long term consequences of high levels of ferratine, which can lead to lots of serious diseases. So I am planning to go and see a naturopath when I am back home, and the Chinese acupuncturist. I need to fix that ferratine problem. My intestines are absorbing too much iron. I'll have mom tested for her ferratine level at the next doctors visit, and will ask my dad as well since they both have cardiomyopathy which can be caused by iron overload. Anything else out there I can do, short of getting blood drawn?

I walked over 10 km today! I finally fixed my Fitbit. It had to be reset. So I walked along the ocean walkway one way, and back in the sand on the way back. That was tiring and I should get extra Fitbit credit for the walk in the sand!... Took Max along via his iPod, and it made me smile to hear his music in my ears. Mindy the dog is exhausted, and has recovered from her ingestion of sand... Was worried there for a while.

My daughter said to me today that I needed a serious "detoxing" of my life, removing toxic things from my life will alleviate a lot of unnecessary stress. Since I am very cautious about what I feed my body, I need to do the same with what I feed it emotionally/mentally. Yes, I know my mental health is just as important. I have stopped watching TV for the last 5 months because of all the negative stuff being broadcast. That was the first step. I have cancelled my phone service so I would no longer be receiving harassing messages, or phone calls. I have added filters to my emails, changed my email address, left Facebook, all to prevent toxic stuff from reaching me. But somehow, when I least expect it, something comes thru and breaks me into pieces, which I then have to glue back together. Is there a recipe out there, like whole30, which is for the soul? I seriously want something. Brewer, any idea for any books I can read? I have read about grieving, I just need a "dummy guide" ... A manual... Something....

Hutlifr.   You don't need a dummy guide.   This ain't the Rookie Season and you're no rookie.

For the toxic stuff that gets through the cracks....Fish    Fish    Fish.

Fish is the answer for everything.  Fish sharpens up the arrows in your quiver and you use them very wisely. You don't respond to the harassment.   You walk away and leave them in the dust.  That's how you do it.   I'm no stranger to family members stirring it all up and letting the fur fly.  It will  get you nowhere good to try and appease them.   Walk out the door and keep on walking.   Walking Man.   You don't have to accede to anyone's demands.  Don't placate, mollify or lay down and be the carpet.   

Whole 30 is the recipe for the soul.   Body, mind and spirit.   We can go through the motions for 30 days and not engage our heads but for the Soul restoration and recovery....Whole 30 it,  Hutlifr.   It is the way.

I've lived my life and I've done it my way.  Whole 30 way.   Song trigger. 

Hutlifr.   I know a book that's better than all of the rest.   You know the One.   There's healing in the leaves and peace on every page.   I know the One.    It's the only Rx that I know of that will seal all of the cracks...from the top of your head to the bottom of your feet. 

It heals the leaky gut from pain and despair and grief.    Without it, I'm nothin' but an ole hound dog yakkin' on a bone.  

Hutlifr.  Every day I have to set my will and choose to forgive.  I choose to forgive but that does not mean I have to be the carpet or the rug.   I'm under no obligation whatsover to be a punching bag or a target.  We're under no obligation to add the foods back in that marsh our mellow.  

Go for a walk and change the atmosphere of the heart.  Take your beloved dogs.  Dogs are the only creatures that love us unconditionally.   They don't care if you live in a cardboard box on the street or with the Queen.  Dogs love you no matter what.

Dogs don't care if your hair looks like a tee-total wreck and they don't even care if you have dog breath.   They love humans, unconditionally.    They are a true gift.

Hmmm. My gut wants to say that these are gateway drugs. Because I have been there. And I am ~mildly struggling~ to get back to Whole-30 style for awhile. Especially after watching That Sugar Film last night. I feel like I've strayed a bit far.

I have such great intentions after each Whole 30. But you allow some beans here, some wild rice there, some butter, some added sugar.... I don't know. Just seems to be a slippery slope. And I really want to feel my BEST.

I concur!

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is what killed my man! NOT TO BE ignored. Causes cirrhosis, kidney failure, sepsis, and DEATH. when I got on the Whole30 wagon last June, he followed for 2 weeks. Then just quit, and went back to breads, starches, and lots of "healthy" fruits. He had t2, took statins as a preventive medicine (among other drugs). if you have not read it, get the book "Eat the Yolks" and you will understand how the "good results" from the test group on statins came about. After reading that book last year, I took him off statins. Even if I were to have a heart attack, I would NEVER ever take statins, NEVER!...

I'm so sorry for your loss. :/

My naturopath wants me to take a natural statin supplement. I told her no. I'll do the fiber supplement and make sure I"m eating lots of veggies and I'll continue to get my weight down but NO STATINS. 

Fruit- I can't do it either. Fruit and grains are what I let back in, post-Whole60 (Somewhere in March), and that led to me to weight gain, low energy, and having things that should have been treats, on a semi-regular basis. No more. Grains and Sugar are bad, and my naturopath (she's right about this one) insists that fruit is STILL sugar, and that I shouldn't have any. 

I had my fish for breakfast with vege and whole eggs.   I'll eat fish again for lunch and maybe dinner.  When I need to see my way more clearly,  I eat fish, fish, fish.    No one pulls the wool over your eyes when you're eating fish.

Make sure you have your armor on.   Fish.   Fish.   Fish.

Thank you for reminding me to share with you what I had for brekkie yesterday. I put some arugula on a plate, then half a can of salmon, a little salt and pepper, a bit of walnut oil (is walnut oil okay for us?), and 2 soft boiled eggs. I got the idea from a food pic you posted and it.was.so.good!!! So, thank you for that idea. Fish is just pricey, but I'm going to try to have some more often. Thing is, I can really only tolerate cod, salmon, halibut, and tuna. 

Fish, fish, fish.....

Woohoo!! I'm eating fish tonight. My night in with some unknown folks, hosted by a mutual friend was postponed until tonight & in the week that's passed I've managed to persuade the host to eat out rather than ordering in Chinese - the one type of food I REALLY struggle with, and don't actually like that much anyways. So NSV for me...........  :D 

Off to clock up another 5k on the treadmill, shower, apply war paint, slip on some skinny jeans, some uncomfortable heels & go - I'll catch you all later folks - have a good one!!

Great to hear that you're doing so well! I won't ever be able to wear skinny jeans without alot more weight loss and then some body tucking plastic surgery work :D

I just learned at this conference, that in 2014 & 2015 -- there have been more deaths from SELFIES than sharks.

Be careful out there, people.

I believe that. Also, the other day (Monday evening, to be specific), I got rid of my cellphone. I changed providers and got a regular cellphone with a slide-out keyboard. Tired of being a slave to my phone, being distracted by notifications I really don't want/aren't important, and upgrading it every 2 years to the tune of $500-650.00! Also, I see so many people on their phones in crosswalks. It makes me so angry!

We sure do miss you, Lancer, when you're gone.  We  are  fam i l y. 

I was on the horn, talking to Bear..  OOooo, don't tell me.  You're back on the Whole 30.  Why, yes, I am.  I'm talking to the peeps that I lurve.  My forum forest foreign peeps.  My family.

camp-fire-smiley.gif?1292867563  He laughed and he said I sounded like I was drunk.aquarium2-smiley.gif?1292867549   I'm not .   I'm just high on fish, fish, fish.   aquarium2-smiley.gif?1292867549

I walked over 10 km today! I finally fixed my Fitbit. It had to be reset. So I walked along the ocean walkway one way, and back in the sand on the way back. That was tiring and I should get extra Fitbit credit for the walk in the sand!... Took Max along via his iPod, and it made me smile to hear his music in my ears. Mindy the dog is exhausted, and has recovered from her ingestion of sand... Was worried there for a while.

I have stopped watching TV for the last 5 months because of all the negative stuff being broadcast. That was the first step. I have cancelled my phone service so I would no longer be receiving harassing messages, or phone calls. I have added filters to my emails, changed my email address, left Facebook, all to prevent toxic stuff from reaching me. But somehow, when I least expect it, something comes thru and breaks me into pieces, which I then have to glue back together. Is there a recipe out there, like whole30, which is for the soul? I seriously want something. Brewer, any idea for any books I can read? I have read about grieving, I just need a "dummy guide" ... A manual... Something....

Way to go Hutlifr! And, sounds like you're doing all the right things. I got rid of cable back in 2008, I believe? We have a TV set, on an A/V/ cart (so it doesn't stay in the bedroom), that we use to watch the occasional show on Netflix or Amazon. I got rid of my smartphone and have just a regular cellphone nopw, and a tablet for my business needs. 

My husband and I want to get Fitbits. I wanted to get them for us last year for Xmas but we couldn't swing it, financially. This year, the conversations about Fitbit have arisen with our friend groups, and my husband asked me why we want them/why were we going to get them. I thought about it and I told him that they'd motivate us to move more. When I had my Fitbit One (before I washed it and it didn't work), that's what it did for me. It motivated me to do more because I could see my progress. I have a Fitbit Aria scale (of course I can't use it right now because of being on the Whole30 atm), and I love it because it shows my progress over the last few years. That helps me when I"m feeling down. 

We sure do miss you, Lancer, when you're gone.  We  are  fam i l y. 

I was on the horn, talking to Bear..  OOooo, don't tell me.  You're back on the Whole 30.  Why, yes, I am.  I'm talking to the peeps that I lurve.  My forum forest foreign peeps.  My family.

I miss you all as well Lily! I do have a pretty full life but I always enjoy stopping by here. You post the best photos btw! :D

Archived