Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

$23 (£14.99) per bottle on Amazon.co.uk - and shipping is only free if I spend over £20 which would happen if I was buying Grain Brain - but that's a whole lotta dinero for some vinegar even if it is schweeeeet!!

There is apparently another seller who has it for half that, but I can;t even find the brand name in his 'store'.............

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I will try coconut oil sometime also! 

The very first time I tried to make mayo, I used the immersion blender, and it didn't work out. At all. It wa a disaster. How do you do it? :)

Ok, so first of all, I never even knew what an "immersion blender" was.  I have one like this, which is called a 2-speed hand blender on Amazon:

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-19%20at%205.30.1

I use that canister that came with it.  I put my raw egg in there with 2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice, and I let those sit together for at least an hour at room temperature.

Then I add 1/2 tsp of ground mustard and 1/2 tsp of salt.   And then 1 1/4 cup of oil.  

Then you just put the blender in there and turn it on.  Swirl around at the bottom, pull toward the top, in a swirling motion.  Up and down in a swirling motion, slowly.  It literally takes seconds.  I am not exaggerating.   :)

I should be eating the bigger frog today, too.   bow-smiley.gif?1292867560  The wind is howling.  

"If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning. And If it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first." - Mark Twain

Did you watch the football game?   I never do.  I've never watched a football game all of the way through...like for real.  I do enjoy watching the people and milling around shooting the breeze,  drinking coffee, makin' copies,  copy-smiley.gif?1292867575flitting around.   I can't tell you anything about football. 

I lurve golf for taking naps.  Especially on Saturdays, the lull of the soft whispery voice.  Nice putt.  I used to think they were saying nice b-tt. coffee3-smiley.gif?1292867572

Did you watch the football game?   I never do.  I've never watched a football game all of the way through...like for real.  I do enjoy watching the people and milling around shooting the breeze,  drinking coffee, makin' copies,  copy-smiley.gif?1292867575flitting around.   I can't tell you anything about football. 

I lurve golf for taking naps.  Especially on Saturdays, the lull of the soft whispery voice.  Nice putt.  I used to think they were saying nice b-tt. coffee3-smiley.gif?1292867572

LOL.  I watch part of my kids' football games.  They have to be there an hour early, so that gives me time for walking and checking important stuff on my phone.  ;)

I don't understand football either.  I watch to see what they do and make sure they don't get hurt.  But I can't get into it, because I just don't get it.

Well, I went to an actual football game today and it was UGLY. Our team as supposed to win and we barely, I mean bearly, did.

I hade a super nice am with a friend at our farmers market and then out to get some pumpkins and gourds for Fall decorations. Reminds me of last year, when my Mom was still alive...taking her out to the same places and getting gourds and pumpkins to decorate the room where we had her 90th bday with all of the family from all over the U.S. And Canada there. She had a great time and died in March. She was a luminous person who really knew how to have fun....and she LURVED HER WINE...so I come by it naturally...but now I am clean and feel much better for it.

Hey KMlynne, tomorrow is my big walking morning with my two pooches...usually only a couple of hours, nothing like what you do, but I am always ready for a nap in the afternoon afterwards.

No wonder you have felt like resting a bit after your last hike!!!

Thanks for the cooking inspirations, Meadow Lily...I will also do some big cook up/preprep tomorrow as well.

Ok, so first of all, I never even knew what an "immersion blender" was.  I have one like this, which is called a 2-speed hand blender on Amazon:

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-19%20at%205.30.1

I use that canister that came with it.  I put my raw egg in there with 2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice, and I let those sit together for at least an hour at room temperature.

Then I add 1/2 tsp of ground mustard and 1/2 tsp of salt.   And then 1 1/4 cup of oil.  

Then you just put the blender in there and turn it on.  Swirl around at the bottom, pull toward the top, in a swirling motion.  Up and down in a swirling motion, slowly.  It literally takes seconds.  I am not exaggerating.   :)

Thanks Brewer! I never knew what an immersion blender was either till my mother-in-law came into my life. She has one, and lives with us, so I can use it, but there's no canister with it. I can probably use a glass jar, though, from the looks of it, or just order a canister. The problem was, when I used the blender, I believe, was that I think I used too shallow of a bowl for the process. Also, I didn't know back then to let the egg get to room temp first. :)

Thanks Brewer! I never knew what an immersion blender was either till my mother-in-law came into my life. She has one, and lives with us, so I can use it, but there's no canister with it. I can probably use a glass jar, though, from the looks of it, or just order a canister. The problem was, when I used the blender, I believe, was that I think I used too shallow of a bowl for the process. Also, I didn't know back then to let the egg get to room temp first. :)

Sounds like you'll be an expert at this in no time!  ;)

Also -- just in case you misunderstood -- I'd only do part coconut oil.  I used 1/4 cup of coconut this time and 1 cup of extra light olive.  As jcmbn said, missmary has done it 50/50.

Sounds like you'll be an expert at this in no time!   ;)

Also -- just in case you misunderstood -- I'd only do part coconut oil.  I used 1/4 cup of coconut this time and 1 cup of extra light olive.  As jcmbn said, missmary has done it 50/50.

Thanks! ;)

Yes, I've heard about doing part coconut oil and part olive. That sounds like it'd work better. I tried one time to use all coconut oil and that was a disaster as well. :D

Yeah, so its getting dark outside and I still haven't gone for my walk....  but I did spend a long time looking for a new hike tomorrow :)  Can't wait for the cooler weather tomorrow and a good walk :)

I'd just like to give a shout out to Karen tonight.

I was thinking about this earlier.  

I only got about 5 hours of sleep night before last --

A ) because I stayed up too late chatting with my friends on here and then I had other things I had neglected to do   :rolleyes:  and

B ) because THEN I really got into the fiction book I am reading, and stayed awake WAY too long reading in bed.    :rolleyes:

There is such an obvious difference in how I function when I am short on sleep like this.  I felt it ALL day yesterday.

Karen works crazy shifts at the hospital, taking care of teeny tiny babies at all hours of the day and night.  Yet she still manages to make homemade meals.  She still manages to kick my ass in steps.  She still takes care of two teenagers.  And all sorts of other cool things.

So Karen, I just wanted to say that out loud.  

REST -- because you need the rest -- and then get back out there and continue to show those mountains who's boss.   :)

LOL.  I watch part of my kids' football games.  They have to be there an hour early, so that gives me time for walking and checking important stuff on my phone.   ;)

I don't understand football either.  I watch to see what they do and make sure they don't get hurt.  But I can't get into it, because I just don't get it.

I just looked up how yards on a football field...I was thinking around 100.  Not sure.  Ayup.   :D 

Brewer, this is your personal log and space.   I'm not posting any songs because I use them as a diversion from thinking about the hard stuff ...pulling old habits out of my head.   But I was wondering, since it's Saturday night and all... if I could throw a couple on the jukebox and jack this place up.   Lancer's makin' mayo and I'm makin' copies and Kmlynne's resting her feet.   I'm going to sing and dance while everyone's busy. annoying-smiley.gif?1292867547

Archived