Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

Kmlynne, have you ever had the desire to hike the Appalachian Trail?  I would  go in a large group of at least 30 people or with a platoon of  Marines or Navy Seals.

There was a guy I dated in high school, and we were adamant that we were going to hike the Appalachian Trail after we graduated.  It was a plan.  Man, I loved that idea.

I LOVE HIKING.

Funny how much different our lives turn out than what we pictured as children.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only purpose I had was putting it into my tea and I didn't have to dissolve that blobby lardy coconut oil.   I went through several bottles and it gave my stomach the dipconnoroo symptoms.  I had those same old spring water runoff symptoms.   The trots and stomach cramps.   I would quit and be fine.   Then go at it again and symptoms would came back.   I totally quit the coconut oil and my stomach is fine.

Dipconnoroo is something everyone would say.   That's the stomach flu upset with the trots in our neck of the woods.   It's also something we could get from the water,  early spring runoff. Everyone would probably get a mild case of giardia.     The water treatment system wasn't very good and most would feel sick during the high runoff.

Tourists still get giardia from the water.  I think you develop some immunity after so many years.   I hope so...oooooo,  I can't think about parasites.   You know,  I bet coconut oil kills alot of those things in your system.    It kills candida.   Yes, yes, yes.   I've killed all of the critters and bugs out of my bod.  bed-bug1-smiley.gif?1292867554

Okay.  You've convinced me.  I will try EVCoconut Oil again.    Maybe, just maybe...I was killing years of critters in my gut.bed-bug1-smiley.gif?1292867554  Who knows?   Only the shadow knows.  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: 

Coconut oil kills bacteria, parasites, fungus, yeast, microorganisms of all sorts.  Yes, it has a detoxifying effect.  That is why many people need to tiptoe.  ;)

I'm sure there are other good ones out there, but our favorite is Nutiva:

http://smile.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-Ounce/dp/B001EO5Q64/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442764281&sr=8-2&keywords=nutiva+coconut+oil&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

Never let your ego get in the way of your cooking.   Just plow through and cook with wild and reckless abandon.   Eat it anyway.    Whip everything up like Edward Scissorhands, kick the oven door shut and viola.   Sometimes you WIN and sometimes it's multi-crap.

84804ad1-47e8-4281-83ea-be83a9ead450.jpg

I'm fixin' to eat the bigger frog.  Before I go, Brewer....I want to talk about weight stability when you come back from lifting heavy things.  Meal timing,  weight stability,  EVCoconut Oil for the brain and many other tiddlywinks.

Ooooo, there's so much to talk about.   There's nuttin' but football on the TV again which is also good for taking a nap with...just like golf.   I like swimming,  gymnastics, track and field, hiking,  singing and dancing. I'm wearing a backpack today for heavy lifting as I hike the ridge.

Brewer,  I know someone who eats gummy bears, popcorn, chocolate covered raisins and diet pop for many of their main meals.   They look great.  I don't get it, really.   It gives me a really big pinch.  She wants to meet me at the showhouse, movie theater and eat all of those things.  The movie doesn't matter.  It's the snackity items she's after.   I may have to bow out.   Gummy bears, chocolate covered raisins and popcorn...washed down with a diet pop.

That's cruel punishment but she looks greaaaaat.   I will never be able to eat these kinds of things at one time without huge consequences.  I don't want to longingly look at her with a sideways glance trying to eat that multi-crap by proxy.   Eating by proxy is not healthy.

You ever catch anyone eating by proxy through you,  put a stop to that right now.   I've known lots of people who bring things into the breakroom at work just so they can watch you eat it.  Cinnamon rolls, cookies and donuts.   That ain't no way to go.

So if I think I can't sit there, side by side, while she *munches*  *crunches* *smacks her lips*...I may have to take a raincheck.  bad-luck-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?12927

Lily, reading your story brings two questions to mind.  Maybe more.

1)  What does she do for activity?  Does she have a super active job?  Is she a runner?  Does she Lift Heavy Things?

2)  What does she eat like most of the time?  You know, they say (whoever they are) that it not what you do some of the time, it's what you do most of the time that really counts.

-------

I know you don't know me in real life, but I can honestly say that I am one of the most honest people you will ever meet.  Honestly.   :lol:   I have a super conscience.  I like it to be clean and clear.

So I will be quite honest with you when you ask me questions like this.

I honestly had a moment yesterday where I wanted to go to the movies.  I didn't even know what movies are playing, I just wanted to go.  I wanted to eat popcorn, maybe some Sno-Caps, and yes I would have had a few sips of my husband's diet pop.

We didn't do that.  But if we had -- I would still look the same today as I do now.   I could have gone.  I could have pigged out.  With very little repercussions re: body composition.  But that is because of what I do MOST of the time.

People who lift heavy can "get away" with more junk.  I would say that is true for most athletes, in fact.  Folks who are really dedicated & work hard at whatever it is they passionately do for activity.  Now, I am strictly talking body composition here.  You know I am not talking about mental clarity, emotional stability, overall health and well-being.

I think it's important, when you find yourself comparing yourself to another woman like this, to remember to look at the entire picture.  Maybe she is struggling with other issues in life.  Maybe her marriage is on the rocks.  Maybe her kids treat her like crap.  Maybe she turns to these foods for fun & comfort because she's lonely or bored.  OR -- maybe she only goes to the movies once per month and this is the ONLY time she "lets loose".  That is a possibility, as well.

Edited to say:  I forgot to finish my thought:  You can "look great" and have horrible numbers on your blood work.  A list of symptoms a mile long that are unresolved.  I can think of several women right now who stay pretty thin by smoking cigarettes.  Shoot -- been there myself!  While other friends were lamenting about how "skinny" I was... I was struggling with an addiction that I absolutely hated.  So, that is part of the big picture, as well.  If she is eating this way all the time -- you and I both know she is not healthy.

She barely exercises at  all.   coke-smiley.gif?1292867573 Must be genetics. hall-candy1-smiley.gif?1292867612   She does clean  house constantlycleaning-smiley.gif?1292867570 but no running or exercise classes.  She has the world by the tail,popcorn1-smiley.gif?1292867655everything's coming up roses.   dance-veild-smiley.gif?1292867580

Guess I'll go hike the ridge and blow the stink off.   umbrella-smiley.gif?1292867693

I'm just an ole hound dog...yakin' on a bone. 

tumble-weed-smiley.gif?1292867692

She barely exercises at  all.   coke-smiley.gif?1292867573 Must be genetics. hall-candy1-smiley.gif?1292867612   She does clean  house constantlycleaning-smiley.gif?1292867570 but no running or exercise classes.  She has the world by the tail,popcorn1-smiley.gif?1292867655everything's coming up roses.   dance-veild-smiley.gif?1292867580

Guess I'll go hike the ridge and blow the stink off.   umbrella-smiley.gif?1292867693

I'm just an ole hound dog...yakin' on a bone. 

tumble-weed-smiley.gif?1292867692

Nope.  If she eats like crap and does not exercise, she is not healthy.  So you are far, far ahead of her.  And you know it.   :)

yaysmilesa-smiley.gif?1292867704

Yup. It's called Skinny Fat..... and it's no bueno.

So then after lifting -- (I am not on a Whole 30) -- I am currently having a concoction of protein powder / creatine powder / just enough canned coconut milk to make a thick pudding out of this. Usually I am still hungry, right after that, so I eat a real meal in that same timeframe.

I am not doing a lot of post-workout carbs right now. I have no desire to get sleepy & foggy at this point in my day, and that is definitely what happens. So if I have carbs, they are at night.

Today is baseball. Here I am, hanging out in the Clubhouse. Poking my head out to watch my kid do stuff. I understand baseball much more than football but it's still hard to get into it when I don't know most of the kids playing.

I am also stepping out of the Clubhouse to take an occasional walk. Don't worry, I'll be back before dark. Unless a wild animal gets me...

Alreet,  Alright,   Alrooty.   I'm back at the Clubhouse. 

Would my time be better spent doing something like mopping and waxing floors, cleaning ceiling fans, slopping the hogs, feeding the cattle and watering the horses.   Of course, it would.   I've been weaning myself.

Have you noticed?   Me neither.   There's so many things I should be doing and yet,  I'm cracking nuts for the squirrels and drinking green tea.   We have some good times here.   

I am not compelled to go to Spinning Classes or even Yoga.  I can do all of those things at home.   I gave my exercise bike away.   I loathed that thing.   I've had all kinds of exercise equipment and none of it moved me.

I decided well over a year  ago that  I would no longer throw money away on gym memberships.   I'm done with that.   

I don't enjoy being a gerbil on a wheel or a duck out of water.  I exercise on my own terms now.  I simply walk out the door and come back.   I do enjoy swimming in the wintertime when the snow is stacking up.   We have free weights at the house.    I like the ease and my toasty socks. 

There's a million things I should be doing.  I come here because it helps me.   One day,  when I'm standing there in the doorway of the Universe....I'll keep going.   Until then,  I'm here at the Clubhouse with Brewer and her gang.   

We have a secret password.   Waaaay down the road,  we'll meet up at the Hitching Post in the sky.  I'll know Brewer and she'll know me.   We exist.  This is just a time within a time and a dream within a dream.   She's helping me stick the landing and keep my laser focus.

There's no such thing as the FINISH LINE when it comes to our health.   Sticking the Landing is only part of the equation.  There's a whole lot more to come after that.   

There's the post Whole 30  No Training Wheels Clubhouse.  

Kmlynne, have you ever had the desire to hike the Appalachian Trail?  I would  go in a large group of at least 30 people or with a platoon of  Marines or Navy Seals.

Love the clubhouse!  As soon as I saw it I was wondering where it was so I could see if I could stay there :)

I have walked small pieces of the AT during my mountain hiking.  I have no desire to walk it from end to end.  I like a hot shower and a soft bed at the end of the day.  I love the hikes that I have been on with my parents (West Highland Way in Scotland for example).   We walked from B&B to B&B.  Hot shower, hot meal and soft bed every night.  Hot breakfast in the morning.  Sherpa service to take our bags to the next B&B so we didn't have to carry all our stuff with us each day.   :D

Whoo HOooo!!!!!   Compliant day!  I am on a role!  (and only one piece of fruit)

Went hiking after church today in a new place.  Lots of up and down hills.  Did a good 10 miles this afternoon.   I only had an apple today because I was HANGRY after my hike and needed something, so stopped at a local grocery on my way home.  The apple was quick, easy, and cheap.  (I ate a good breakfast, and had my lunch during the first three miles - but was still hungry by the end).

OK - so here's the thing about eating while hiking.  (a continuation of an earlier conversation).  I would LURVE to be so adapted to be able to hike all day long without having to carry food - like the bicyclists.  But I can't.  I no longer have the shaky legs, sick, if I don't eat I'll pass out feeling.  Even when I am really really hungry, I still feel like I have the energy to continue on.  This is so much of an improvement from previous years :)  But, when I get hungry, I can't go long without eating.  (Its kinda hard to explain).  If I eat a whole meal, I end up with a sick stomach while continuing my walk.  Thus, for example, todays lunch was eaten over an hours period and I still felt overfull/nauseous when I was done.  A couple hours later, I was hungry again.....

So, I end up "needing" to eat something.  Thus the dried fruit and nuts.  It packs well, doesn't have to stay cold.  I can eat a handful at a time.  When I add some protein, I don't hungry as quickly - maybe.  

Perhaps things are changing.  I am glad to not have the "shakiness".  I hope that as I continue to eat well, maybe the hunger will ease off.  For now, I am going to try to not eat so much of the dried fruit and nuts.  See what happens.....

Archived