Pre work out

RroseR

Hi all, I am on day 6.

So, normally I eat an apple before my work out.  The problem with a protein or a vegetable is that I get horrible stomach cramps if I eat anything else.  Also, if I eat any other type of fruit, like a banana, then I also get stomach cramps.

If I eat nothing, I get completely light headed. 

I noticed on the meal template pdf that it says no fruit for a pre-workout snack, but literally, I have tried it all, and an apple is the only thing that works.

Is this bad?

I don't know what the moderator will say, but I would try to get in the proper pre-workout and post-workout snacks. Your body doesn't need an apple, it really needs protein and fat. Since you say there is nothing else you can eat before a workout, it seems more like this has become a habit. Maybe try cutting back on the apple a little at a time and adding a little protein and fat at a time until you can make the transition to no apple.

I used to have a banana or like a waffle w/nut butter as my pre-workout telling myself I needed the carbs. It was a bit of a transition, but now I'm used to having a hard boiled egg on my way out the door. I know it stinks to experiement because that means that it may affect your workout, but try something for more than just one day. Doing an egg was weird for me, but after a few days I was fine, maybe something else will work for you.

The recommendation is actually for a protein & fat, not protein & vegetable. That said many people who struggle with the protein & fat option do fine with a fat on it's own so maybe try a handful of olives, or a spoonful of nut butter and see how you go if you feel the egg is not an option.

Fruit before a WO sends the signal to your brain to burn glucose rather than fat as there's plenty more on the way. Fruit postWO will restore liver glycogen when you want to be replacing muscle glycogen.

Save your fruit for during/directly after meals for best results all round. 

Is this for an a.m. workout on an empty stomach? What kind of workout?

No, this is for a workout at night. I don't have time to work out in the mornings as I am usually in court (attorney).  The type of workout where I get the stomach cramps is either a heavy cardio workout or hot yoga.  I don't get that in pilates or pure barre.

I noticed that with an apple, I don't get the cramps, but if i eat a piece of chicken or anything else, I get stomach cramps/pains.

No, this is for a workout at night. 

For a workout at night, I would try bulking up at meals instead of doing much of a pre-workout snack, especially if your stomach can't handle it. Eating enough outside of that time (follow the template) should make it possible to get through cardio or hot yoga without having food immediately beforehand.

Here is the template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

No, this is for a workout at night. I don't have time to work out in the mornings as I am usually in court (attorney).  The type of workout where I get the stomach cramps is either a heavy cardio workout or hot yoga.  I don't get that in pilates or pure barre.

I noticed that with an apple, I don't get the cramps, but if i eat a piece of chicken or anything else, I get stomach cramps/pains.

Have you tried a straight-up mouthful of something fatty? Nuts or nut butter, for example? I have a sensitive stomach, and when I worked out more regularly I was the same about carby fruit (apple or banana) before working out, but I've found a spoonful of almond butter also goes down pretty easily but prevents the woozy feeling after a long go on the elliptical.

Archived