Snacks!!

Trex0814

What kind of snacks are good on the Whole30 program?  ;) I want to make sure that I have the minimal amount of snacks, but at the same time I would like to have them around constantly so I don't eat the foods that I am not supposed to eat.  :huh: I am in the middle of reading the books and just trying to prep as much as possible. 

post-81793-0-42159800-1447526806_thumb.j     Here is my first weeks meal plan: the 1st line is breakfast, line 2 is lunch, line 3 is dinner, and the 4 line is snacks. Any suggestions????

Thanks!  :)

Donna

Hi Donna & welcome to Whole30.

To answer your question I'd suggest that you aim to NOT snack by building your meals to the recommended meal template to keep you satiated for 4-5hrs. Your breakfast on the first day for instance will not do that as it lacks veggies. The template really is what does the magic here, and it is after that 4-5hr window that your body will start to turn to fat as fuel.

Snacks if you genuinely MUST have them due to hunger rather than boredom or habit, should be made up of at least two of the three macro nutrients - so protein & fat (optimal), protein & carbs, or fat & carbs. Fruit should not be eaten on it's own as a snack, nor should it push veggies off of your plate. In fact fruit is optional, and there is nothing you'll get from fruit that you won't get from veggies apart from fructose (which you don't want/need) and sugar cravings...

Keep things like olives, tinned fish, hard boiled eggs, & compliant jerky on hand for those times when you are genuinely hungry & a while a way from your next meal.

I'll be the bearer of the bad news.. There are no such things as snacks during a "whole 30"   Theres a meal template floating around.. someone will paste It in I'm sure but in a nut shell you eat one to two palm full's of protein, 1-3 cups of veggie and 1-2 tbls (thumb full) of fat…(3 TIMES A DAY)  eating this way will keep you fully  satisfied for 4-5 hours.. If your hungry sooner.. your not eating enough..  Don't be scared  eat more if you need too..Back to the snack thing.. if you get hungry from what  I've gathered you have a mini meal..   chunk of chicken with some home made mayo and red bell pepper.. Lots of people also talk about keeping canned tuna in their desk at work..   The official people will chime  in….. this is the simple explanation :)

ps.. just glanced at your meal plan.. those aren't complete meals are they? with all the veggie?    Look them back over and add some veggie and protein and fat where needed...

You have the official line from the experts above. From the newbie here, the template does in fact work, if you can figure it out (now in week 2 I feel like I'm getting it most of the time). What I notice about your potential meal plan is that many of your meals only cover one part of the template, and at that, are the veggie part only (eg. Tuesday dinner, Thursday lunch). If you are just using those recipes as an "inspiration point" that you will build into your template, great....but many of the delicious recipes out there (even meat ones) don't automatically produce the template. That's up to you! You will probably want to have lots of all the nutrients (proteins, veggies, and fat) on hand. That way, when you get cooking and lost in the wonderful smell and excitement of your meal to come, until - whoops, I forgot about a ------ there is no panic, or sub-par meal [not that that is how I cook, or anything 8)]

The other thing I will say about my first week, is I seriously underestimated how much food (and in particular meat) we would need to eat at each meal. It was a big adjustment to my eyes and habits, as much as to my body.

You're not alone, trex and Pally!  I've been struggling to eat enough at template meals to avoid needing to snack.  I initially swapped out the Quest bars (completely NON-compliant) for compliant Larabars at my desk (not optimal because they're really fat & carbs), but now I'm trying to get a stash of tinned tuna or chicken at the office and just plan BIGGER TEMPLATE meals.  Packets of coconut butter are also helpful to me, and I'll bring a bottle of olive oil next for adding to my proteinos.  I've started needing two insulated lunch bags to bring all of my food to the office each day!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Archived