Dry, Cracked Hands

MButcher

I just finished my Whole30, and, while in general I've been very pleased with the results, there is still one symptom - getting very dry, cracked skin on my hands during colder weather - that is just as bad as ever. And when I say bad, I really do mean bad; my knuckles are often bleeding all through the winter.

Does anyone know: is this something I should even expect to cure with diet? And if so, do you know of any common culprits that are Whole30 compliant that I should try eliminating? Or any foods I should add (e.g. I've heard Omega-3's are good for this)?

I drink plenty of water, and I have tried every lotion under the sun (ok, not literally). I'm using coconut oil right now, and it works about as well as anything else; it moisturizes for an hour or two, and then I'm right back where I started.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I get this too! I sometimes look like a boxer during the winter with my bleeding knuckles all wrapped up in bandages! The only thing that has really helped for me is to wear good gloves absolutely religiously in the winter. I also sometimes slather my hands with E45 before bed and put little cotten gloves on top then. Sorry I know thats not a diest answer but that has what has helped for me.

• Moderators

I can't imagine what nutritional deficiency would manifest most prominently as dry, cracked hands. Even if you were not eating enough fat or protein or drinking enough water, I would expect other problems to be more pressing. My guess is this is a question for a dermatologist without a menu-based solution. 

• Administrators

I am with WholeStanley, I wear mittens or gloves 100% of the time that I go outside as soon as it's cold enough to wear a jacket or closed shoes. I also put lotion on eleventy-two times a day at work and before bed.

Invest in some cute mitts and some pretty lotion.  :)

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I find coconut oil to be not very moisturizing.  I'm a nurse and between the crap-tastic $h!t I have to use in the hospital day after day and cold UPSNY winters I am a member of the bleeding knuckles club too.  I have found some lotions at my local coop that are pretty good and don't have bad ingredients in them.  Randomly, I just happen to read today that avocado oil is supposed to be a good moisturizer too.  I made my own moisturizer last winter with almond oil, coconut oil and cocoa butter.  Smells amazing (maybe not during a W30 though - it will make you want dessert!) but didn't really help much - despite the rave reviews online.  

This sounds totally gross but I've also read that animal fat is supposed to be a good moisturizer... I may try that overnight (in mittens) this winter... <<shutter>>

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/traditional-nourishing-and-healing-skin-care/

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I tried the tallow last night - I'm not bleeding yet but definitely dry.  

a ) it didn't smell as bad as I thought it would.  The dogs didn't even notice :)

b )  I do think it helped - I put on a very thin coat but I think I may try a heavier coating with gloves/mittens on next!

Just doing a little more digging - found another post about mixing tallow with cocoa butter... the cocoa butter I buy smells so incredibly strongly that I have no doubt it would mask the tallow scent - I may try making a combo of the two!  

• Moderators

I tried the tallow last night - I'm not bleeding yet but definitely dry.

a ) it didn't smell as bad as I thought it would. The dogs didn't even notice :)

b ) I do think it helped - I put on a very thin coat but I think I may try a heavier coating with gloves/mittens on next!

Just doing a little more digging - found another post about mixing tallow with cocoa butter... the cocoa butter I buy smells so incredibly strongly that I have no doubt it would mask the tallow scent - I may try making a combo of the two!

Have you tried lotion bars? They seem to seal in a bit more than just oil. I've never made my own, although there are plenty of recipes out there, like this one: http://wellnessmama.com/4770/lotion-bars/

I found some made locally that I like, you might check out local soap makers or look on Etsy.

Archived