coconut milk

Joannal44

• Moderators

I order some off Amazon in tetra packs instead of cans. I've also found some at Target. All the ones at my local grocery store have sulfites, but it's worth checking yours to see what they have. I've also heard some people find some at Walmart. Just go to whichever stores you have near you and read labels.

Hey Joanna, I don't have a solution for you (other than to read ALL of the labels on ALL of the coconut milk you CAN find in your local stores).  Just wanted to let you know I feel your pain!  I wasn't able to find a compliant coconut milk (a fact I lamented) but today is Day30 for me - I did it without it, and so can you! (But hopefully you won't have to).  Aroy-D in cans in the U.S. (not sure your location) is often a good bet, but read labels to be sure.  I found it in cans but it still had potassium metabisulfite.

Cheers,

-Lauren

Wow…seems like almost every store around me (West Coast) has coconut milk in cans with just  coconut cream/milk, organic gaur gum listed in the ingredients. Even find the Thai Kitchen brand at Food 4 Less…which is NOT a "health food" place by any means…Keep checking around and good luck ! 

FYI organic guar gum is okay as an additive, as is xantham gum.  Just avoid any sulfites or anything ending in "ose."

If your ingredients were coconut kernel extract, water and organic guar gum, you'd be good to go.

If you want JUST coconut kernel extract and water, look for AYAM Brand or Native Forest.

Did you know that you can MAKE YOUR OWN COCOCNUT MILK AND CREAM? Combine one part water with four parts either fresh or dried COCOCNUT. Simmer until foamy then put through a strainer lined with a coffee filter. Cool and refrigerate.

• Administrators

The only compliant coconut milk I've ever found was in cans. Never the stuff in cartons. The cheaper stuff often contains sulphites, but the bigger name brands (expensive) stuff is often good.

The "Real Thai" brand comes in tetra paks (1L at my store) and has only coconut and water as the ingredients. About $3.50 per carton so totally reasonably priced! I believe you can order this online as well. :)

I found these little cartons of So Delicious Cooking Coconut Milk at Whole Foods, but I also found it sold online when I Googled it. It's great in coffee since it comes with a twist-off top for fridge storage. However, it does separate, so you have to give it a good shake and use a spoon to stir in the cream.

(let's see if I can get my picture to work here):

5126F16E-DAE3-4923-92A2-DEC672705B9D_zps

C54B41B8-6191-4A9D-BA49-50A795D22F8E_zps

FINALLY! I drove to a different district to do some Christmas shopping and I found this Ayam brand coconut milk (and coconut cream). Only ingredients: coconut kernel extract and water. I bought the entire stock (okay it was only four cans, but still). Never lose hope!

That's my favourite!  :D  We get the blue (milk) and green (cream) cans here, love them. Some places have multiple sizes, we mostly get the medium size ones with a ring pull on top. Not everything on this page is compliant (pretty sure some of those Light ones have weird things), but it's got some good pics: http://ayam.com/paleo-range-coconut.html

I have found that Amazon.com is a great resource for some of these items.  Most of the time, they show the ingredients in the images, and you can buy in bulk.  Plus you can return an item if it isn't compliant.  Natural Value brand has worked for me in the past.

Archived