9 Belfast Bites

jmcbn

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you - but, I'll be fine... I think  :blink: 

I should add re the Scoby that I did ask the woman I'd spoken to locally about maybe sourcing a Scoby from her booch supplier (as Shannon had suggested), but she seemed reluctant to ask her. I reckon she just didn't want to miss out on any potential business. The company I bought the starter kit from sell Scoby's too though and they seemed reasonably enough priced having shopped around a little so I just ordered everything I needed from them.

And here I am - I haven't even started brewing yet and I've got my eye on a continuous brewing jar which I think would work for me as I'll probably not add fruit (plus I'll have the jars from my starter kit if I decide I do WANT to add fruit at any point). I just need to decide what size to go for...  <_< 

It's the Irish term for Airing Cupboard - I'm not sure if you even call it that in your part of the World...!!

It's basically a storage cupboard built above/around the hot water tank for the house - usually in the kitchen or bathroom. The tank itself is insulated so as not to lose heat, but the cupboard is generally warm and most people use it for storing towels & bed linen.

Technically mine's not actually a hot press as I've no water tank in there (my house has hot water on demand via a mains gas supply) but I'm just used to calling it that because that's where I keep my towels & bed linen.... Mine is also only shelved from about half way up meaning I can store bigger items in the bottom section, but there's a whole lotta junk in there that is just taking up valuable space - so it's got to go.

At this time of year it's rare to hang anything outside.... In the summer if we get good (for us!) weather, and I'm at home for a while (as in a few hours because the weather can change pretty sharpish!) then I'll get the bed linen out for sure - I LOVE the smell of clean sheets taht have been dried outdoors  :wub: - but for the most part I use a couple of airers placed beside the radiators. 

Most of my friends have tumble driers which help a lot but I opted to use the space for an extra freezer instead - I like my food!!  :D

Yep, cold, damp and/or wet is the usual state of affairs.

I de-iced my car this morning before going to the gym, and when I came out of the gym to go to work I had to de-ice it again  :blink: 

Camping here is the worst. Like you say, everything is permanently damp, whatever the weather. When I was doing all the OCR's to raise funds on behalf of my sister for MacMillan Caner support I invested in a Dryrobe - I've taken it on every camping trip since and it's the best. thing. ever. We spread it out under the sleeping bags last time and it kept the damp from penetrating, and it's fantastic for wearing at night to sit out under the stars. Of course we all fight over it - even though the lining IS pink...  :rolleyes:

Storm Henry blew my bangs a treat a few weeks back, I can tell you that!  :o 

I've been growing out a Pixie cut since back when Lancerlott was doing his last W30 and I'm *almost* at a graduated Bob... It's been emotional!!  :wacko: 

I had my shopping delivered earlier this evening and it looks like I'm going decaf - my usual Green Tea was out of stock so they replaced it with a Decaf version, and the Rooibos Tea I ordered is caffeine free anyways, so this will be interesting.... I've also got a bottle of Frank's Chilli & Lime sauce to try since his 'Original' went down so well - I'm not sure how I ever ate eggs without it.

Tomorrow I'll hit the farm shop for my meat & veg, and as mentioned previously I'll be re-visiting leeks since my meals didn't really go as planned this week. I think I'll try a pork & leek dish from way back when... and I'll do my usual Whole Chicken & some kind of a curry dish - maybe Tandoori, I dunno, I'll figure it out when I see what veg are available as it was slim pickings last week with the poor weather. I'll be keeping up with the mackerel/sardines too, and maybe some kind of a ratatouille (sans garlic & onions) dish on the side for a change...

I *thought* I had some new workout gear too, but it seems that the website a friend recommended have very obviously confused size with age because whilst these bad boys are clearly made of a compression type lycra there is NO WAY I am squeezing into them. Not today, not ever. And see, the old me would be really upset by this & think I'd gained a ton of weight. But the new me thinks about these things rationally. ALL of my clothes still fit just as well as they always did. ALL of my old gym gear fits just as well as it always did. So it stands to reason that their sizing is off, and if I have to go up two sizes (Yup, TWO WHOLE SIZES!!!) then so be it. The fact that I have to go up two sizes doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the pressure they are putting people under by making them feel larger than they actually are - and since we're talking gym gear here it's pretty safe to say that those people who ARE bothered at having to go up two sizes are going to start restricting their food intake and over-training just so as they can fit in to their 'usual' size.

Don't believe the hype.

BOOCH UPDATE

I received an email for the Royal mail this morning to say that my package is with the courier for delivery which means that I'll have it this evening (if my neighbour is home when the Postman arrived) or tomorrow morning at the latest if I've got to collect it at the depot, so I should have my first batch brewing this weekend!!  :D 

In other news I was reading a blog about Kombucha yesterday evening & the feral child was looking over my shoulder at the pictures of the SCOBYs. He has a very inquisitive mind and was keen to know what exactly a SCOBY was and how the whole brewing process works. When I woke him this morning he was chatting away over breakfast as usual and he said he'd quite like to have a family pet. When I asked him what he had in mind (considering we had a bad experience over the death of two goldfish a few years back) he said he'd like a baby SCOBY from which he could start a little family....  :P 

Busy day ahead. Work, work, work.... shop, shop, shop.... train, train, train... study, study, study.... EXAM  :o

I made my own kombucha for about a year. I started it with the baby scoby from a bottle of GT's Original (the unpasteurized kind that you have to be 21 years old to buy in the US). It was fun and tasted delicious, but as time went on I noticed that it was taking me longer and longer to get through a batch (I made a gallon at a time) and as a result each subsequent batch was increasingly sour. When I finally ended up with a batch that had been fermenting over 6 weeks and tasted like straight vinegar, I gave up and threw everything out.

Now I wish I had saved my scoby because I feel ready to start brewing again! And the continual brew method seems like it would prevent the sourness problem.

I made my own kombucha for about a year. I started it with the baby scoby from a bottle of GT's Original (the unpasteurized kind that you have to be 21 years old to buy in the US). It was fun and tasted delicious, but as time went on I noticed that it was taking me longer and longer to get through a batch (I made a gallon at a time) and as a result each subsequent batch was increasingly sour. When I finally ended up with a batch that had been fermenting over 6 weeks and tasted like straight vinegar, I gave up and threw everything out.

Now I wish I had saved my scoby because I feel ready to start brewing again! And the continual brew method seems like it would prevent the sourness problem.

Apparently the continual brew is much less of a faff - less washing out of jars etc so less time consuming, plus I'm a sucker for a fancy jar!  :D

:D   Scoby....he/she will be inexpensive to care for.   No shots, fancy dogfood and midnight toity runs out in the cold.  I knew a dog named Dog.  DeeOooGee...said quickly with a French accent.

Seriously, we'd a full on Viking burial for the goldfish (whose name he couldn't quite recall!) so don't be encouraging him!!  :rolleyes:  :wacko:  :P

It's here.....!!!  :D 

(For anyone interested the starter kit came with x2 2 litre jars complete with tight weave fabric covers, x2 large SCOBYs, x2 packs organic raw cane sugar, and x2 packs tea bags all for £34. I paid extra for the glass bottles (£5.50 for 2), and there was the option to add a heat tray for the jars or a stick on thermometer, both of which I declined. I've also ordered a 5 litre continuous brewing jar with tap which was on sale for less than half price at £20, and there is an 8 litre one available for anyone interested at £22 - but I thought 8 litres was a bit much for me on my own...)

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

I'm so happy for you.   Do you have a name for your mother? 

I have lots of names for my Mother - it just depends what mood I'm in!!  ;)  :lol: 

Seriously though, I think the official naming ceremony will take place tomorrow when the boys get back.

Seriously though, I think the official naming ceremony will take place tomorrow when the boys get back.

I can imagine it's a real hoot and a hollar around your house.   Sons are sooo much fun.  The Viking memorial for the goldfish.  That must've been a solemn occasion.  I relate to kids, they are my fave pets.

I can imagine it's a real hoot and a hollar around your house.   Sons are sooo much fun.  The Viking memorial for the goldfish.  That must've been a solemn occasion.  I relate to kids, they are my fave pets.

Oh we had an official mourning period & everything....  :D 

They keep me entertained no end. The first born with his dry wit, and the baby with his sheer hilarity & innocence - they make a great double act, and whilst they fight & bicker like the best of them they are fiercely loyal.

They're great kids. I/We must be doing something right.

Archived