Eating too much/too little

graceeatsclean

I'm pretty active on Instagram, posting my meals and following tons of other Whole30-ers.  Something I've noticed during this Whole30 in particular (I'm on D7) is how small the meals so many people post are.  I mean... I've read and understand the meal planner template, and try to follow it pretty closely but as I'm feeling bloated and a little "fluffy" (ha) right now (which I know is normal) it's making me wonder if I'm eating too much?  

To give some context, I'm 5'5" and before starting this Whole30 weighed around 130.  I'm moderately active, running 2-4 miles 3x weekly, plus 90min yoga 2x weekly and some strength training here and there.  My meals yesterday were:

M1, 7:20am - 3 fried eggs, 1/2 c cooked beets, 1/2 c sauteed spinach in ghee, 1/2 avocado, coffee with almond milk

Mid-Morning, 10am - 12oz homemade chicken bone broth

M2, 1:20pm - 1c homemade chicken salad (roasted chicken, homemade mayo, compliant mustard, pecans, grapes, apples), 1 c brussels sprouts roasted in EVOO, 1 c sauteed mushrooms

Pre-WO, 4:30pm - 1 hard boiled egg + yolk of another, 1/4 avocado, tsp compliant dill pickle relish

Post-WO, 6:25pm - 1/2 c butternut squash (no fat), hard boiled egg white only

M3, 8pm - two compliant chicken sausages, 1 c purple sweet potato roasted in EVOO, 1 c brussels sprouts roasted in EVOO, dipping sauce made from 3 T homemade mayo + compliant grainy mustard

Am I over eating?  I don't feel the need to snack outside of the mid-morning broth, which I've been having the past couple days.  I'm hungry when I get to meals and when I finish eating I feel full but not sick.  I've attached a collage of all the above for reference.

But I see these other people eating M1 of 2 eggs and 1/4 avocado and nothing else and it makes me feel like maybe I've overdoing it?  I don't know... just doubting myself right now.  Any insight/reassurance/feedback is appreciated.

post-84258-0-50122900-1452175966_thumb.j

Hi Grace.

Rest easy. Most people just don't eat enough - it's one of the most common problems.

Your meals look really good to me.

Some bloating is normal, but there could be a sensitivity to high FODMAP foods there - you've listed avocado, beets, sprouts, apples, mushrooms, sweet potato & coconut milk - some more than once - all of which if eaten in quantity by those sensitive to FODMAPs can cause bloating, discomfort & gas.

If things don't improve in that respect within a day or two you might want to cut back on those - but don't panic - there are LOTS of tasty substitutes!! In the meantime make sure you are drinking adequate water - a half an ounce per pound of body weight daily is our recommendation.

Keep on keeping on.....!!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Go check out my log :)  It will make you feel better!

Per W30 guidelines you should be eating to satiety - with meals that leave you satisfied for 4-5 hours.  Is that the case for you?  Then you are eating an appropriate amount.  

I too will look at people eating 2 HB eggs, 1/4 avocado and some steamed broccoli and think that would be a snack for me NOT a meal.  

From what I've read of people similar to us (reasonably active, pretty close to lean) W30 isn't a way of eating that will get you 8 pack abs in 30 days BUT you will find that you can eat deliciously satisfying meals with more fat that you likely have before and maintain/lose a little fat - mostly abdominal.  

Thank you so much!  Both replies definitely make me feel better.  

jmcbn, while bloated I don't have any discomfort or digestive distress.  I just feel fatter.  I've read a little on the FODMAP issues and have a friend who is super sensitive, but since I don't have any symptoms beyond bloating I don't think that's the problem?  I'll give it through the weekend (since I buy in bulk and don't want to not eat something I already have on hand) and then try a couple days avoiding those foods and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback!

And littleg... thank you!  Your meals look SO much more like mine than those bird appetizer meals I keep seeing on insta!  :)  

I'm glad to see this post!

I've also been wondering if I was eating too much! I'm on R2D4 and while I'm well versed on the ins and outs of Whole 30 it's still good to see this and be reassured that I'm eating just the way I'm supposed to be.....until satisfied and I'm not hungry at all for 4-5 hours.

• Administrators

I'm pretty active on Instagram, posting my meals and following tons of other Whole30-ers.  Something I've noticed during this Whole30 in particular (I'm on D7) is how small the meals so many people post are.  I mean... I've read and understand the meal planner template, and try to follow it pretty closely but as I'm feeling bloated and a little "fluffy" (ha) right now (which I know is normal) it's making me wonder if I'm eating too much?  

Also remember that social media is a highlight reel and there are LOTS of people who will plate some food, take a picture, post it and then go and properly fill their plate with more of everything because either the food looked nicer with just a bit of everything or because they are wilfully deceiving their audience.  If you're going to watch instagram, use it for meal/recipe ideas not portion size inspiration.

Grace, I think you're doing awesome!  I'm like littleg - you can check out my log or my instagram to see meals.  And remember, at the end of the day, you need to find out what works for YOU, whether that's more or less than what works for someone else is irrelevant.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Grace, I too felt like I was eating too much, especially compared to the meals my coworkers are eating (they're also following W30). But I notice I don't feel the need to snack between meals like they do. They say they're hungry, and I keep telling them to eat bigger meals! Keep on with what you're doing if it works for you.

Doc

Does anyone know of coconut milk makes a person bloat?

There are some people who do have trouble with coconut, however I'd also check the ingredients as it can also be an added thickener, rather than the coconut causing you trouble. Or something else you've eaten recently.

OMG yall are so amazing.  Thank you so much for all the feedback.  I'm feeling MUCH better about my (seemingly) huge meals!  

I'm also happy to report that this morning, day 8, my bloating has diminished a bit and I'm feeling much better.  

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Yup, what everyone else has said. I think you're good. I'm also always amazed at how small some people's portions are that they post on IG. And I know last time I did a whole30 I ate the hell out of some food, and still lost 12 pounds. No bird servings for me. 

Yep, some people eat some TINY meals and tag them #whole30

Follow the template not the hashtag!!

"Follow the template not the hashtag!!" - I love this :wub:  :wub: :wub:  

Some people are just trying to take pretty photos, but there's also a lot of borderline eating disorder behavior on Instagram.

Archived