Snacks

Campbgra

Um, because CORN is specifically disallowed on the Whole30? Have you read the program rules? http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/  There is also a PDF you can google. 

And snacking in general is discouraged - your meals should fill you up for 4-5 hours.  Have you seen the meal planning template?  whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf Google to open.

Whoops, the link above is not the rules link. Here you go:http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

Besides that, the goldegrahamgirl is right: no corn on a Whole30.

Note that, even if the ingredients were compliant, commercially prepared chips are also not allowed on a Whole30. Read the Can I Have guide too.http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

• Administrators

Can you give us a run down on what a typical day of eating looks like for you?  It sounds like you aren't eating enough.  Do you do food prep on the weekend or a night during the week so that you have compliant food available?

If you can snack on popcorn or chips, you can have a couple meat balls and half an apple or a couple chicken tenders and snow peas or a hard boiled egg dipped into guacamole.  

Our recommendation is to build meals that last you 4-5 hours and then if you have a huge gap between, you have a mini meal that contains at least two of the macros (protein, fat and veggies), as per the examples I noted above.  We highly discourage having a fruit/fat snack as that perpetuates blood sugar issues and is unlikely to keep you satisfied until your next meal.

Sure. Every morning I wake up around 6:30. I make two scrambled eggs, side of fruit and a side of peppers. I go to school and teach until 10:15am, between 10:15 and 11 is my lunch break. Then from 11-3 I am in the classroom. Then from 3-6 I go to a different school and do an aftercare program. It's hard because I have lunch so early!

• Administrators

I would suggest that you add food to breakfast, first.  Eggs as your sole protein are as many as you can hold in one hand, so 3-4 for most women.  Lots of people report that they do better with a couple eggs and another cooked protein, that it gets them further into their day.  Add fat to that breakfast also.  Avocado or olives or homemade mayo.  You could also try moving your fruit serving out of breakfast, people report that eating fruit with their first meal leads to them feeling hungrier, sooner.

I would try eating your lunch as close to 11am as you can rather than at the beginning of your break.  Make it a nice big lunch with at least 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggie (cooked is more satiating rather than salad greens) and a big serving of fat as above.  Then at 3pm, just before your aftercare program, have a snack of protein and fat (a couple hard boiled eggs and some homemade mayo or chicken thighs with a handful of olives).  That should hopefully get you to dinner without having to resort to chips/popcorn.

How does that sound?

• 1 month later...

I'm confused.  In one place it says no snacking but in another, suggests a food as a snack.  Being pre-diabetic, requires more frequent food so a snack sometimes in between meals to keep blood sugar level in check.  How does snacking affect whole30 plan? 

• Moderators

I'm confused.  In one place it says no snacking but in another, suggests a food as a snack.  Being pre-diabetic, requires more frequent food so a snack sometimes in between meals to keep blood sugar level in check.  How does snacking affect whole30 plan? 

Ideally, your meals will keep you satisfied 4-5 hours. When you get your meal composition down right, you will probably no longer need the more frequent snacks to keep your blood sugar in line -- you won't be having things that make it spike and fall -- but at first, if you need to eat something, have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables.

The thought of having so much food at one meal is not appealing to me. I am on day 25 and I'm wondering if I've done this wrong all along!

Breakfast is a hardboiled egg and a banana or a couple of tangerines

I have a Lara bar as a snack mid morning  

Lunch is usually left overs from the night before- today it was spinach, a half of a chicken breast and red pepper sauce from the book and an apple.

Dinner is a palm size protein and veggies and sometimes a few dates.

I have lost weight and feel better in general. I haven't gotten "tigers blood" but my energy has increased.

Do I have to go back to start?

• Moderators

you don't need to go back to the start but you do need to have a look at the meal template (linked in my signature below) and start building your meals to match the template.  Eating only as much as you're eating is not sustainable and is not doing any favors for your hormones, blood sugar or general well being.

Lara bars are only allowed as an emergency 'stuck on the runway in a blizzard' fallback, not an every day snack.  You need a snack because you are not eating enough at breakfast.

Cut out the dates and all that fruit and start filling your plate with veggies, protein in proper portions and added fat (as per the template linked below)

• Moderators

The thought of having so much food at one meal is not appealing to me. I am on day 25 and I'm wondering if I've done this wrong all along!

Breakfast is a hardboiled egg and a banana or a couple of tangerines

I have a Lara bar as a snack mid morning  

Lunch is usually left overs from the night before- today it was spinach, a half of a chicken breast and red pepper sauce from the book and an apple.

Dinner is a palm size protein and veggies and sometimes a few dates.

I have lost weight and feel better in general. I haven't gotten "tigers blood" but my energy has increased.

Do I have to go back to start?

You only have to start over if you've eaten something that isn't compliant base on Whole30 rules, so it looks like you don't have to start over.

What I would say is that you will get even more out of your Whole30 if you embrace not only the rules, but also the recommendations. The meal template lays out the minimum amount an adult human should be eating in a day -- if you're not eating at least that much (that includes the three meals, plus pre- and post-workout meals on days you work out), you're probably undereating, and while you may feel okay now, at some point that's going to catch up to you. That might mean feeling exhausted, not recovering from workouts, or even binging, because your body needs a certain amount of nutrients to function, and while the human body is pretty adaptable and can function well for long periods of time even when it's not getting optimal nutrition, it will eventually not function as well.

If you ate a bigger breakfast, you wouldn't need the snack mid-morning -- and if you're going to eat between meals, a Larabar is not a good choice. They're intended for emergency use, when there's nothing else compliant available, and you must eat something now before you start gnawing your own arm off. If you can plan for a snack, plan to have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, not the Whole30 equivalent of a candy bar.

You'd also be better served to have more vegetables and less fruit. Continuing to have fruit at every meal, plus the Larabar, could cause you to continue to crave sweet things. Aim for 1-3 cups of vegetables at ever meal, and consider fruit an accent or an occasional thing. If you're having a big salad and want a chopped apple or pear or a handful of blueberries in it, that's fine. If you've eaten 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat, and 2-3 cups of vegetables, and you think, hey, an apple would be nice, that would be okay -- but don't let the apple take the place of getting enough vegetables.

I am a teacher also; I do have one late afternoon snack. I usually have fruit and nuts at that point but it satiates me until dinner. 

I'm only on day 12 but I have had no problems with hunger having a meal 1 at 5:30 am, meal 2 at 10:50 am, snack at about 2, and meal 3 is usually between 6-8pm.  I only snack because it is so long between meal 2 and meal 3 for me.  I have hardly any time to eat (maybe 20 minutes) for meal 2 so I don't have a choice to move mine later. 

The first few days I wasn't having enough at M1, like you, so I added an additional egg/protein and more veggies. I also added a lot more veggies to M2. I sometimes have to take my salad bowl back to class to finish as my students are working because I run out of time to eat all that food lol.  

I found reading the book well before I got started help me to prepare and understand these recommendations. Honestly, it has been super beneficial. I don't constantly think about food and WHAT WILL I EAT NEXT.  

Archived