Food with no brakes

mp19

Hi yall, 

I've been slowing working my way through my reintroductions since I finished my Whole30 a few weeks ago (on the slow boat route). While I had introduced small amounts of added sugars (most likely in salad dressings at restaurants, etc), late last night was the first time I had dessert. I had coconut macaroons with just coconut, egg whites, and sugar, and I COMPLETELY went off the rails and ate about 8 before I realized it. All night I was really really hyperactive, until I finally crashed around 1:00am. This morning I feel like I got run over by a truck. I'm super tired and my eyes are pretty puffy. 

How do yall do it? How can I add sugar as a special occasion treat back into my life without completely going off the rails? How do you bounce back form sugar binges? Should I modify my reintroduction schedule? I'd love to hear suggestions. 

• Administrators

How do yall do it? How can I add sugar as a special occasion treat back into my life without completely going off the rails? How do you bounce back form sugar binges? Should I modify my reintroduction schedule? I'd love to hear suggestions. 

I don't do it.  Seriously.  Lots of us simply do not eat sugar in this manner because of the exact experience that you had.

Check out this thread:  http://forum.whole30.com/topic/33428-sugar-addict/

I don't do it either. No sugar unless it's during a long training session or race, or it's the last thing I eat at night and by going to bed the rush/crash happens during sleep. And ooooh it's hard to walk away at night so I rarely do it. Even eating a few gels during a long run can leave me craving sugar the rest of the day.

That "special occasion treat" is not worth it for me. Learned it myself the hard way many times. I've found new treats, and that works for me. 

• Moderators

Special occassion treats with sugar don't work for me either... I'm in the process of re-training myself that sugar is not an option... I know that one chocolate, bite of ice cream, lick of icing means a bender of vast proportions and I am tired of spending brain power, time and effort recovering from benders over and over and over again... I know that it's not healthy for me to eat sugar and it always ends the same way so I'm done... no fruit.. no sugar... nope nope nope....

My limit on sugar is whatever might be in a salad dressing or sauce at a restaurant. And I'm not talking about French Catalina, I'm talking about a Dijon mustard or sriracha hot sauce. I don't sweat those because I don't eat a lot of it and it doesn't trigger anything.

But absolutely no desserts or even fruit masquerading as dessert. Fruit is an ingredient in a main course dish, not something I can eat alone. I made a mistake of eating fruit salad after dinner once with the family, and promptly passed out on the couch for a long nap. I simply can't handle the huge sugar hits, even if it comes from fruit.

• 4 weeks later...

This is depressing!!!  I did so well on my first Whole30 in January and even did a slow, intentional reintroduction.  A couple of weeks ago, though, I fell off the wagon and feel like I've been "sugar drunk" for the last 10 days!!  It's so hard getting to the point of understanding that sugar cannot be a part of my life because the addiction is so strong.  I see what it does to me and I understand why I can't have it but simply knowing that makes me want it more!!  How can I get the point of acceptance and not letting that drive me straight to the dessert table?!

Gotta re-frame how you think, girl! Like I did below...  Recognize that the strength is in you, not in the addiction and the sugar dragon. (I know, I know, it's hard, I've been there!!!)

This is depressing!!!  I did so well on my first Whole30 in January and even did a slow, intentional reintroduction.  A couple of weeks ago, though, I fell off the wagon and feel like I've been "sugar drunk" for the last 10 days!!  It's so hard getting to the point of understanding that sugar cannot be a part of my life because the addiction is so strong.  I see what it does to me and I understand why I can't have it but simply knowing that makes me want it more!!  How can I get the point of acceptance and not letting that drive me straight to the dessert table?!

That my choices could be controlled by food is depressing!!!  I did so awesome on my first Whole30 in January and even did a slow, intentional reintroduction.  A couple of weeks ago, though, I fell off the wagon and I've been eager to get back on!! It's so hard getting the dragon to the point of understanding that sugar cannot be a part of my life, but I'm  strong so I will prevail.  I see what it does to me and I understand why I can't have it, but simply knowing that pisses the dragon off!!  Soon he will get the point of acceptance that I will not be letting that drive me straight to the dessert table!

Archived