bacon - protein or healthy fat

Catlady

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, ndwhole30 said:

Hi! I'm officially confused. So, bacon is NOT a protein. BUT - are two truths possible? Is it a condiment AND a fat?

A lot of fats are condiments -- condiments are just extras on a meal that add flavor or texture, so mayo or salad dressing or a handful of nuts added to a salad are all condiments but also fats. Relish, pickles, salsa could all be condiments, but aren't fats.

Bacon is a fat source, and you should think of it as an extra to add a little flavor and texture to your meal, not a focus of the meal. Have a couple of pieces of bacon, plus your protein, lots of vegetables, and if you want some other fat as well (like some guac and some bacon on a burger patty), that's fine.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, ndwhole30 said:

I think that means I can take your answer as a "yes". And, NO added fat is the "focus of a meal" any time, right?

Yes, it's both a fat and a condiment.  

If you check out the meal template, you'll see the biggest portion of your meal should be vegetables. What I mean by the "focus of a meal" is the biggest portion of the meal, so no fat source is ever going to be the focus of the meal, based on relative serving sizes. (I suppose if you wanted to get pedantic about it, you could say you love bacon so much that even though you're just having two or three strips, you've built the entire meal specifically to complement the bacon so that it is the focus, but that's not what I meant, I meant specifically the serving size.)

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
4 hours ago, altyburger said:

I have this same question about prosciutto -- fat or protein?

More like condiment... you're never going to eat enough proscuitto for it to qualify as your protein... a palm sized serving is your own palm width, length, thickness... 

Archived