how to get fat for someone who doesn't like most of the healthy fats?

My husband and I just started our first Whole30 yesterday!

I'm concerned about him getting enough fat, as he doesn't like coconut, avocado or olives.  Any ideas?  (I am hoping that he will decide to be willing to try to like some of these things, but can't force him!) 

Have you tried to make homemade mayo? It's my FAVORITE. I, too, hate coconut and olives. I like avocado now, but didn't really when I started eating this way. I got a lot of fats from mayo (plain and/or made into various dips/aiolis/dressings), extra virgin olive oil, and the occasional handful of nuts.

Does he like ranch dressing? Because making mayo and spicing it up with seasonings (like herbs for ranch, southwest flavors for a spicy dip, etc) will give him fat. Also certain meats have loads of fat too (salmon, beef, bacon, etc) but make sure they are wells sourced as the toxins are in the fat!

Roasting veggies in any oils will help too, but not enough to add a fat serving.

Maybe modified recipes that call for heavy cream (Replace with cashew or coconut cream) will help and sometimes the flavors aren't overwhelming of coconut or cashews. Also, nuts help if you're really in a bind but many find they can either hinder digestion or be a no brakes food.

Have you tried to make homemade mayo? It's my FAVORITE. I, too, hate coconut and olives. I like avocado now, but didn't really when I started eating this way. I got a lot of fats from mayo (plain and/or made into various dips/aiolis/dressings), extra virgin olive oil, and the occasional handful of nuts.

Another person who loves homemade mayo.

Also, make clarified butter (ghee) if he likes butter.

(sorry if this ends up being a double reply - thought I responded, but don't see it here)

Thanks for the ideas!  Unfortunately, he also doesn't like mayo.  I'm really hoping he'll give some things a try, but don't want to push.

I did make a bunch of clarified butter, so that's definitely an option.  I've taken to drizzling a bit of olive oil on my kids' food, as they're not big on the other fats, either, so that's something I can suggest. 

Any good recipes that might be good to try making if he's willing to give avocados, mayo, coconut a try?

So glad for the ideas - thanks!

(sorry if this ends up being a double reply - thought I responded, but don't see it here)

Thanks for the ideas! Unfortunately, he also doesn't like mayo. I'm really hoping he'll give some things a try, but don't want to push.

I did make a bunch of clarified butter, so that's definitely an option. I've taken to drizzling a bit of olive oil on my kids' food, as they're not big on the other fats, either, so that's something I can suggest.

Any good recipes that might be good to try making if he's willing to give avocados, mayo, coconut a try?

I don't like mayo either... Until I've tried not typical groceries store mayo. Something about homemade or less than 5 ingredient mayo at the store (primal kitchens. A little pricey but I like it!) I know other people are the same way. If he likes creamy salad dressings, many use mayo as a base and can easily made w30 compliant.

I didn't like avocados until I had tableside made guac at a restaurant in San Antonio. I think the splash of OJ made it. I also like smooshing it in soups to make it a little more creamy.

Some olive oil tastes a lot like olives. I use avo oil a lot too. It has a relatively neutral/buttery flavor (at least the stuff I get at Costco) and goes with a lot of stuff.

If all else fails, a lot of the blokes really like duck and chicken fat, but they're harder to use than something more flexible like mayo :)

Try a few different mayos, different oil can change the taste a lot. Once you find a base mayo you like, there's even more options.

I don't like sweet coconut, but I like coconut milk/cream in thai curries and coffee (if you have an immersion blender for the coffee, it's great!).

If it's a texture issue, you may need to add fat into things like soups and blend them, have a small serve of soup with meals.

If you're trying to hide fat, emulsifying or blending it means it's not visible and helps to give it a different texture.

• Moderators

Thanks for the ideas!  Unfortunately, he also doesn't like mayo.  I'm really hoping he'll give some things a try, but don't want to push.

I did make a bunch of clarified butter, so that's definitely an option.  I've taken to drizzling a bit of olive oil on my kids' food, as they're not big on the other fats, either, so that's something I can suggest. 

There's a chance he doesn't like store bought mayo but home made mayo is NOTHING like storebought mayo... make a batch and get him to try it?

You could try making sunshine sauce (find it on www.meljoulwan.com) but it's not ideal for a primary fat source because it's nut/seed butter based.  Might get him used to sauces tho.

You could google and find a pesto or chimichurri sauce that would be compliant or could be made compliant?

There's a chance he doesn't like store bought mayo but home made mayo is NOTHING like storebought mayo... make a batch and get him to try it?

You could try making sunshine sauce (find it on www.meljoulwan.com) but it's not ideal for a primary fat source because it's nut/seed butter based. Might get him used to sauces tho.

You could google and find a pesto or chimichurri sauce that would be compliant or could be made compliant?

Most pesto sauces call for Parmesan, BUT that can easily be omitted for a homemade awesome.

And homemade mayo is a game changer.

• Moderators

Most pesto sauces call for Parmesan, BUT that can easily be omitted for a homemade awesome.

And homemade mayo is a game changer.

Ya, I've never used the parm... there are actually great recipes out there for a pesto with walnuts instead of pine nuts (in case you're not independently wealthy to buy the pine nuts).

Ya, I've never used the parm... there are actually great recipes out there for a pesto with walnuts instead of pine nuts (in case you're not independently wealthy to buy the pine nuts).

Or other herbs instead of basil. Seriously pesto is my soul food. I think I was Italian in another life ;)

I never liked mayo either until I made my own.  Now I go through two batches per week!

Also, I second the pesto, chimmichurri, duck fat, lard, tallow, and ghee suggestions.  ALL so good!

How about using mayo in crab cakes, tuna salad, or making it into a dressing to put on lettuce or meat?

• Moderators

I went to Whole Foods hoping I could find ghee but the only one they has was in a can and these are the ingredients: certified organic butter (milk). Is this compliant?

Yes. Because ghee is made from butter, it will always list butter in the ingredients. To be ghee, they must have cooked it and removed the milk solids, leaving nothing but the fat. That's why ghee or clarified butter are okay on Whole30 -- the problematic part of butter is those milk solids which are removed.

• Moderators

It just occurred to me... what if you try sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil? If you put a heaping topping of those on some chicken, it's not only delicious but it will provide fat... You may have to supplement, or make sure you get a good spoon of the oil from the jar in the serving but it's delicious and a different way to get good fats!

Archived