Why the emphasis on homemade mayo?

KimR

I'm curious why there is such a push to make your own mayo on Whole30.  The regular mayo I normally buy contains canola oil, which I understand is only reluctantly allowed, but is compliant.  For a condiment I will only have 1-2 small servings of a week (maybe about 1/4 cup total per week), I can't see why it's worth the expense and time of buying additional ingredients and making my own. What am I missing?

Because homemade mayo is amazing, and is a great way to get fat. Mayo can be altered to make different dips and sauces. Homemade is healthy, and processed store-bought is not. Canola oil is horrible crap!

An egg yolk, a cup of light olive oil, some lemon juice and two minutes = not a lot of money or time. And this base makes wonderful tuna salad and deviled eggs possible and can become aioli or tartar sauce or any number of delicious things.

To me, part of the Whole30 philosophy is why choose crap when you can choose something delicious and nutritious.

I've only ever seen one commercial mayo that was Whole30 compliant (all the others have soy, canola, or both), and it's incredibly expensive. Homemade is so much better, I literally just finished making THE best mayo that I have ever had in my life. Took all of 30 seconds, no muss and no fuss, and it was way cheaper than a jar of even the worst of the worst bad-for-you store mayo. It cost maybe $1 to make. Plus, I know that it contains exactly five compliant ingredients and nothing else: extra light olive oil (avocado and I are not friends), salt, egg, lemon juice, and mustard powder.

Give it a try, if for no other reason than you know exactly what you're getting, and that what you're getting isn't garbage. I feel you, though, I really do. I kept thinking about how little ketchup I use and how one or two tablespoons a week of my favorite organic brand isn't going to hurt. But it has cane sugar, and sugar is a no-no! So, I make my own, although with much less success than the mayo.

I have tried and failed miserably to make homemade mayo from the recipe in the book.  It comes out extremely runny.  The first time my 20 yr old daughter made it and I thought maybe the egg was too cold, or she didn't pour in the oil slowly enough, but I have tried twice with the same result.  Any suggestions?  Not sure what we are doing wrong here.  I would love to make my own, but not if it's very, very runny...

I broke down and ordered the Tessemae's mayo (ordered the ketchup and BBQ sauce as well while I was at it).  It is $6.50 for a small jar, but it is good and has the right consistency for mayo.  Until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong, I suppose I'm "stuck" with this expense. 

Also, we have found no other commercially made mayo that is compliant, mostly due to added sugar and/or the oils used.

I made mayo for the first time a few days ago. It came out delishious BUT I had to do it TWICE to get it to work.

I used an egg beaters with a whisk attachment. I really blame the whisk attachment for it working! The time it failed I used the normal attachment...

Note: I just mixed the failed in with the regular d it came out fine.

Here is what i did: 1 room temp egg yolk from a chicken, a few grinds of salt and half a lemon of juice, then add olive oil like .... one dibble... then mix for a long time till it seems sorta thickish (a full minute?) Then another tiny dribble... mix another full minute... another little dribble.... after it starts to look nuce and thick I got brave and added a splash (you're supposed to slowly pour it in but I am not good at that) then tried to pour in a slow stream.

Again I blame the whisk attachment for success

• Moderators

I have tried and failed miserably to make homemade mayo from the recipe in the book.  It comes out extremely runny.  The first time my 20 yr old daughter made it and I thought maybe the egg was too cold, or she didn't pour in the oil slowly enough, but I have tried twice with the same result.  Any suggestions?  Not sure what we are doing wrong here.  I would love to make my own, but not if it's very, very runny...

I broke down and ordered the Tessemae's mayo (ordered the ketchup and BBQ sauce as well while I was at it).  It is $6.50 for a small jar, but it is good and has the right consistency for mayo.  Until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong, I suppose I'm "stuck" with this expense. 

Also, we have found no other commercially made mayo that is compliant, mostly due to added sugar and/or the oils used.

If you have access to an immersion blender, this is by far the easiest way to make mayo.

If your mayo is runny, you may be able to rescue it -- there have been many posts addressing this topic here on the forum in the past, google Whole30 mayo fail or Whole30 mayo help to find them, but here's one that might have some good tips to get you started.

• Moderators

I'm curious why there is such a push to make your own mayo on Whole30.  The regular mayo I normally buy contains canola oil, which I understand is only reluctantly allowed, but is compliant.  For a condiment I will only have 1-2 small servings of a week (maybe about 1/4 cup total per week), I can't see why it's worth the expense and time of buying additional ingredients and making my own. What am I missing?

There've been a lot of good points made already, but another thing to remember is that when Whole30 started, back in 2009, there truly were not many options available for commercially prepared items that were compliant. So when people look now and see several varieties of compliant mayo they can buy, compliant salad dressings to buy, coffee creamers, almond or cashew milks, bacon, sausages -- and more new items coming out all the time -- that are all compliant, they do wonder why there's so much emphasis on homemade, but those thing have only started being available in the last couple of years. 

I think Melissa's thoughts about the Nutpod creamers (quoted here) shows that they didn't specify homemade stuff because they want everyone to spend all their time in the kitchen or because they wanted Whole30 to be super hard, but because they wanted to have a particular level of healthiness and quality to the food which they just couldn't find in anything available to buy ready-made. 

Archived