WHY So Many Problems???

Lili13

i have been in This Forum and it seems as tho ALOT of you are Having Problems!!!  does anyony know WHY???  i am waiting for My Book to be delivered and i wondering IF i should even Start my WHOLE30... im scared just from reading about all the Problems everyone is having!!!  :(

Only the Shadow knows why.  :ph34r:  

It all depends on your pre-Whole 30 condition:  T1 and T2 Diabetes,  thyroid,  acid reflux, WLS, digestive tract problems, SIBO,  FODMAP,  autoimmune disorders of every kind, heart conditions and the list is endless.

There's nothing about eating 3 Whole meals aday that causes diseases and sickness for the average JoJo.  If that was the case, I would be dead by now.  :blink: 

Hello and welcome!

I can see how these posts might be intimidating, but do not be dissuaded. Many of the problems people are experiencing are related to years of mistreatment of their bodies. This plan is about beginning to undo the damage and get on the right track, and you aren't going to resolve years of abuse without experiencing some hiccups.

Yes, there have been tough days. Yes, there have been days I wanted to quit. However, my mind and body are changing in ways I couldn't imagine, let alone predict, and I'm very happy with that. And it's only Day 11.

To quote the introductory guide: "It is not hard. Don’t you dare tell us this is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Birthing a baby is hard. Losing a parent is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You’ve done harder things than this, and you have no excuse not to complete the program as written. It’s only thirty days, and it’s for the most important health cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime."

In my experience, things that are super easy tend not to yield amazing results. It's going to be hard work... but you're worth it.

• Moderators

i have been in This Forum and it seems as tho ALOT of you are Having Problems!!!  does anyony know WHY???  i am waiting for My Book to be delivered and i wondering IF i should even Start my WHOLE30... im scared just from reading about all the Problems everyone is having!!!  :(

I'm not entirely sure that what you're seeing are 'problems' so much as people wanting to get the best out of their whole30 and asking for guidance and help from experienced members and moderators.  Everyone is different and when you start yours, you may also need help with tweaking your meals, finding out if you should eat a mini meal between lunch and dinner and basic encouragement that sleep does get better and the headache doesnt' last forever.  These are not problems persay, but natural and necessary conversation when starting on a new way of eating that for some can be miles from their old way of eating.

I'm excited to hear that you made the choice to do it! These forums are a great place to check in when you need encouragement. Please let us know how we can help you.

If I can make some suggestions, based on my experiences...

• Read the book's introductory chapters. They provide a perspective I wouldn't have had otherwise that helped me really understand the program and why I'm doing it and prepared me for some of the challenges I've faced.
  • Prep... prep again... and prep some more. If you're not one to write out a meal plan or grocery list, do it anyway (I'm not, and have been doing it, and it has been helpful). Cook food ahead of time. Know what's in your refrigerator all the time.
  • If it has a label, read it. Don't assume that anything is 100% anything unless it doesn't actually have a label. If you don't recognize an ingredient, whip out your phone and Google it. Better yet, Google "[ingredient] Whole30" and find lots of relevant information.

I posted a week one post-mortem on the feed I use most frequently. It's got some tips, as well as things to look for while you're shopping. Here's a link: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/37342-strength-in-numbers-lets-join-feeds-for-starts-june-18-22-starting-20th/?p=399390

Most importantly, remind yourself as often as needed why you're doing this. I came to the plan looking for a way to lose weight and stayed because I want to be a healthier person with a better life in front of me. The plan has helped me in ways I couldn't imagine, let alone predict. While everyone's journey is different, the theme is that those who work to follow the plan to the last detail see invaluable changes. You *can* do this, and it *is* worth it. Hands-down, if I could go back, I'd do it again.

The other thing is that people tend to come to a forum when they have questions or issues. So it can wind up being a disproportionate number of OMG this is all going wrong/I feel terrible/What's wrong with me than the general population. Or people come here with a question (can I really have potatoes?!), see it's already been answered (yes, yay!), and move along their merry way without ever posting that they're having a great time during their Whole30. 

Archived