What to eat on Mountain?

hmg1993

I officially start my second W30 today, but gave it a trial run yesterday to see how things would go.  The short answer is well - the best being nine hours of sleep.  I did though have a challenge and would love to know how others would have handled.  We did a hike involving a fairly steep walk up a mountain to reach the top.  It's about 1.5 miles each way.  We had a small backpack and my family packed things a protein bar to have once we reached top (the hike was between lunch and dinner).  I packed for myself an apple and about 10 walnuts, thinking it was better than a bar.  I hate jerky so that is never an option and didn't have any leftovers i could bring and keeping anything cool would have been difficult.  In addition to the apple on the hike, I did have a banana as part of my lunch.

• Moderators

Personally I would have brought a hardboiled egg or two, maybe an avocado, olives, meatballs, cooked chicken.  I know you said you didn't have anything prepared but I think I would have tried to plan ahead a bit.  As far as keeping things cold, I probably would have frozen a bottle of water and put my stuff near it in the backpack.  While food safety is important, a hardboiled egg in a backpack with a frozen bottle of water would have been good for hours.

I hike a lot and bring lots of food with no issue. This weekend my bag had: carrot sticks, the small Persian cucumbers, Cherry tomatoes, celery, a hamburger patty, a handful of cherries.

We ate hard boiled eggs and a container of cooked vegetables at the car before starting, and had some food in a cooler in the car for when we returned. We aren't currently on a whole 30 but are now in the habit of eating this way for every hike. I also carry an epic meat bar and an rx bar in my bag for emergency but they have been riding in there for a long time now. The meat I place in a bag and put it beside my camel back water reservoir that has ice in it. It was still cold 3 hrs into the hike!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I just did a 14 mile hike with about 3500 vertical a few days ago.  It took us ~7 hrs hiking time.  I brought with me: 1 melon worth of diced cantaloupe (in a leak proof container), 2 grapefruits, big chunk of meatloaf.  And a snickers, but I'm pregnant and not doing W30 right now ;)  BUT I did plenty of hiking on W30s too.  I would have brought HB eggs, snap peas, green beans, almond butter, things like that.  Day hikes are no problem, just pack your food in an insulated lunch box.  Backpacking gets arguably tougher if you are strictly W30 but for day hikes just eat what you normally do!  The extra weight of an insulated bag/ice is training weight ;)

I did five days of day hiking in Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park last month with lots of success in the immediate post-w30 period. We had lots of challenging hikes with 400-1500 foot elevation changes and 3-6 miles per hike. We brought along plenty of water (three liters each, which ended up not being enough on the most strenuous hike-- I don't know how people did it just carrying one single Poland Spring bottle!), baked potatoes in cling wrap, cut up carrots and peppers, dry roasted pumpkin seeds, fried eggs cooked all the way through in ziptop baggies, apples, olives. I also packed along two RX bars which I didn't need to eat until the final hike, when I opened it and had a bite, then gave the rest to my travel partner as she hadn't packed enough food. We ate a big breakfast of scrambled eggs, potato hash with peppers and onions, avocado, broccoli, and spinach before every hike and brought tuna and eggs salad and leftover dinner in a cooler with ice that we had in the trunk, and ate as soon as we got back to the car every day. We didn't have coolers or ice packs to bring along with us and wouldn't have anyway to conserve space/weight in our packs, and didn't freeze our water bottles. Nothing went rancid.

Worked out great!

• Administrators

I did five days of day hiking in Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park last month 

I was just there at end of May/beginning of June!  Most gorgeous places on the planet!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on day 20 of my 1st Whole30. I'm training for a 28.3 charity hike in October. Several training hikes a week and on the weekend I extended the distance and much more strenuous. I was looking for ideas for compliant Whole30 snacks. Thankful I found this forum.

Archived