2017 Whole9 WholeYear (3rd Annual)

kirkor

In devastating news, I discovered as I was driving to work this morning that I had left my coffee with creamed coconut sitting on the kitchen bench! So now I'm under-caffeinated and under-fatted (that's a word, right?).

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have remedied the coffee situation (although my expectations for it being nice are quite low - don't come to South Africa for the coffee, people!). But there are no proper shops on campus (I work at a university), so no opportunity to get some decent fats. My lunch I've packed isn't super fat-heavy either, so I think I'm going to be cranky by the time I get to the supermarket this afternoon! #whole30problems

On 1/1/2017 at 10:29 AM, jmcbn said:

Ok, I'm in. Again.

I've been absent of late due to other commitments but I was still doing my thing in the background regardless and finished 2016 stronger than ever.

I'm happy with my nutrition and so see no need or benefit in doing another Whole30, so my focus for January will be incorporating new recipes via my newly acquired instapot (Thanks Mum & Dad!!) - so if any of you guys have tried & tested recipes to recommend they'd be much appreciated!!

Nom Nom Paleo's pressure cooker Kalua Pig!  Amazing and so simple. Recommend going the extra mile and using the red alea sea salt but I'm sure it would be good with other salt also.  Got my instant pot after thanksgiving (black Fri sale).  The pig is my favorite so far but nothing has been bad. Amuses me to no end that I can cook a whole spaghetti squash in 4 minutes. Recipe called for 6 min but iike it a little more al dente.  Have fun! I love that thing!!

After two weeks of eating the same foods, I'm ready to change it up :) - I'm going to attempt the Kalua Pig in my slow cooker, with prosciutto instead of bacon (I can't find compliant bacon).

I had a massive extinction burst episode on Wednesday (day 10) where I went in to the supermarket to get one thing and immediately started scoping the aisles for a "treat", quickly moving from compliant to eff it I want lollies and chips. Hauled my butt out of there quick smart and when I got home I went to make a compliant mini-meal. Wouldn't you know it, I was not in the least hungry for hard boiled eggs or even roast potato. I'm on to you, you sneaky brain-fart-craving-monster.

I really think that phrasing this Whole30 in the greater picture of the Whole 9 challenge has changed my outlook - I know I'll only be doing the strict nutrition for 30 days (plus intros), but I also know I'll be keeping it in focus for the rest of the year as part of the other elements, so things are less urgent.

And after complaining earlier this week that I have no friends, I now have 3 things planned for the weekend with separate people (one friend, one with people from my Australian organisation, and one new person I met at the gym) all of which will also introduce me to more people.

As I was eating my pureed meat yesterday, I thought of a good topic for our focus on nutrition this month: CHEWING!

Here's a good summary of some of the benefits of chewing food: http://www.thekitchn.com/the-science-behind-chewing-you-110020

If you want to nerd out a bit on salivary amylase: http://www.happyhealthypaleo.com/new-page/

Chewing fits in with mindfulness as well.  Taking the time to chew properly means paying attention to the actual food inside your mouth. This is hard to do while watching TV or reading (or talking ;)). Taking the time to slow down and chew properly also provides the time to appreciate the flavor, texture, temperature, etc. of each bite.

I don't know if we need to get OCD about counting the actual number of chews, but it might be helpful once in a while as a self-check.

Yxa5zpH.gif

Chewing is something I've repeatedly been told to do more of! I attempted to be conscious of it while eating breakfast this morning while eating breakfast, but I was running quite late and ended up scoffing half my breakfast at my desk (I'm not sure why I had to shovel it just because I was at work...).

On an unrelated note, I feel so bad for my housekeeper on Mondays - the dishes from my Sunday cookup are INTENSE (and I'm so glad that I don't have to do them myself these days!).

On 12/31/2016 at 11:59 AM, kirkor said:

Might as well keep the same schedule as last year?

Jan: Nutrition & Whole30
Feb: Personal Growth - including Reintroductions & Healthy Eating Habits
Mar: Sleep
April: Stress
May: Training & Healthy Movement 
June: Natural Environment & Getting Outside
July: Fun and Play
Aug: Socialization & Connecting with Others
Sep: Temperance 

As each area of focus approaches, let's post relevant & helpful links about those subjects.  And since the idea is to have this be a "lifestyle" thing, the effects and habits should be cumulative.  So in May while we're specifically zeroing in on Healthy Movement, we're still trying to incorporate lessons learned from the focus on Nutrition and Sleep, for example.

Would you have a FB group or something? For these all in encounters, I like private groups for support. I love your idea.

I'm not big on FB either, plus we've been here for 3yrs now - kind of makes sense for me to stay <shrugs>

Thanks for the reminder on chewing @kirkor - I'm pretty sure this was brought up first time around, and I definitely paid attention to it before, but it's funny how you get out of the way of it again unless you're making a conscious effort - which I did, yesterday, and was amazed how much it made me slow down & really think about my food, so it's something I'm going to keep my focus on for the remainder of the month.

My nutritional learnings for this past week: I can't eat normal-sized portions of slow cooked pork. I ate at least 3 servings last night. All that delicious fatty porkiness. I also feel incredibly sad this morning and am really missing my friends back home - to the point I felt like crying, and I'm definitely not a crier. I don't see how that could be related to pork; perhaps I ate so much I actually consumed the spirit of the pig, who would obviously have been sad.

Anyway, I won't be buying a pork roast next week. Live and learn.

3 minutes ago, GoJo09 said:

perhaps I ate so much I actually consumed the spirit of the pig, who would obviously have been sad

:lol:

How's your starch intake? Or where are you in your cycle? Maybe related to either of those? What time of year is it there? Either way, the fact that you're still able to see humour in your situation is a good sign you're not doing *too* badly - and you've always got us - although whether that's a good or a bad thing I can't be certain....

Did work take you away from home?

The pig was eaten in conjunction with a pile of roasted sweet potato and pumpkin - so my starch was probably well over the legal carb and drive limit :). It was just all hyper-palatable. Perhaps I've been skimping a bit on the fats without meaning too. Regardless, I'll lay off Porky Pig for a bit.

It's mid-summer here, and quite beautiful, actually - I've been making it a point to go for a 15 min walk around campus before I eat my lunch every day, to get some steps and some vitamin D.

Sort of - I'm doing a year in South Africa with an aid program (I work at a university here, there is no digging of toilets in the desert as most people seem to assume) - I was sick of my old life so decided to pack it all in and go on an adventure. It's proving slightly more emotionally taxing than I anticipated (doesn't help that my job to date has been me sitting in an office by myself reading a book...), but I'm getting there on the whole friends front (AKA, saying yes to everything).

I had the same for dinner myself last night actually, and am feeling a bit down today too - but I can relate that back to a bit of stress in the family - we're waiting on some important school results for my youngest, and we've been touring all the schools to try & decide where he'll go next, and the schools we really like  obviously require a good result, and the alternatives are not ones I'm happy with, or ones I see him being happy with either in the long run so everything is kind of in limbo right now.

The 15min walk at lunch is something I do myself every day. It's winter here right now, but I try & dress for the weather and get out to get my head cleared. I also work in an office on my own, for the most part, and it does me good to get out each day.

You're going to have good & bad days being away from home. I've been there myself in the past. But you're doing all the right things - eating well, exercising, saying yes to social opportunities, staying accountable.... you're human though, and sometimes life feels like it sucks regardless of all of that, but everything is temporary...

Like everything this too shall pass ;)

6 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

I had the same for dinner myself last night actually, and am feeling a bit down today too - but I can relate that back to a bit of stress in the family - we're waiting on some important school results for my youngest, and we've been touring all the schools to try & decide where he'll go next, and the schools we really like  obviously require a good result, and the alternatives are not ones I'm happy with, or ones I see him being happy with either in the long run so everything is kind of in limbo right now.

This is one reason I'm on the fence about kids - there's absolutely nothing you can do to alter this situation, it's all out of your hands, yet it could greatly affect his future in one way or another. (Unless you go for a bit of *wink wink nudge nudge bribe bribe*, of course!) Too stressy for me!

I've actually moved countries before, but I wasn't alone that time, and I think that makes all the difference in the world! Not that I'm completely friendless here, but everyone I know is at least 45 mins drive away, and we're not really ring for a chat friends (and I would rather send 50 texts than call anyway).

11 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

But you're doing all the right things - eating well, exercising, saying yes to social opportunities, staying accountable.... you're human though, and sometimes life feels like it sucks regardless of all of that, but everything is temporary...

To be fair, I spent all of December doing the complete opposite of this :). And naturally I feel a million times more positive this month than last! 

16 minutes ago, GoJo09 said:

and I would rather send 50 texts than call anyway

Sounds a whole lot like me! :D

And yeah, the school thing is a bummer. He's done his best, we're considering all of the options (2 more schools to see this week), now all we can do is wait & see. 

3 hours ago, kirkor said:

Check this article on emotional eating vs. mindful eating:

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/diet-weight-loss/emotional-eating.htm

Thanks @kirkor. Yep definitely an emotional eater, specifically bored and lonely at this point in time. Funnily enough, when I'm standing in front of the fridge in these moods, the poached chicken and beetroot spaghetti or hard boiled eggs aren't what I'm reaching for ☺.

They're actually all good action points in the article (I barely notice my fix when I'm eating, regardless of emotion), but I see it's all bringing us back to your pet project, chewing! 

I know we have a few days left on the nutrition leg of our whole9 journey. Starting to think about the personal growth aspect coming next month. I'm thinking, some of the nutritional aspects can move easily into personal growth. Like chewing, it takes thought, about health and well being, being mindful of how I'm living/eating instead of just the same old same old way of doing things. Putting on my big girl pants and making decisions that are right for me, not just because they are easy, but because they are the best decisions for me. I hate to say it, but I've been just cruising' thru this whole30, and I'm a little mad at myself. However, I refuse to beat myself up over it. I have been 100% compliant, yet, I could have used the freedom of my comfort in choosing and cooking compliant meals to focus more on other aspects of doing a whole30. Too often, I find myself reading or on the internet while eating. I am thankful that I did accomplish 1 full day of mindfulness at each meal. So, that was a huge win for me. I also need to focus a bit more on veg variety. I do love all kinds of vegetables, but have a tendency to go with same things. Work in progress! Setting up goals for February. Setting goals is a personal growth thing too!

On 1/28/2017 at 4:20 PM, cottagequeen said:

Setting goals is a personal growth thing too!

I  got a Happiness Planner this year. It's basically a Diary, but apart from the usual daily schedule it has sections each day for:

Today's focus

Today's exercise

What am I excited for today

What am I grateful for today

What am I looking forward to tomorrow

To Do List

Meals

Observations

Then at the end of each month there is a review section where you score your month in terms of happiness, mental health, exercise, nutrition etc and get a total overall score which you are looking to improve each month, plus you detail things you came up against, how you overcame them, things you learned etc. And you finish off by setting both personal & work goals for the month ahead. Obviously January is the first month I've used it so I only just looked over the review & goal planning section last night but I think it will be a great tool to use throughout the year to learn, explore & really grow. I've not been great at journalling every day in January though, so this is definitely going to be one of my areas of focus for the month of February.

Hi folks, I haven't been around in forever! I'd like to jump in here, as a participant rather than as a moderator. I'm completing a Whole30 of my own (today is the last day) and I'd like to get in on the year-long focus.

This Whole30 has been one of my more successful ones in a history of many Whole30s, so it's been a positive experience. In my previous history with Whole30, I saw many improvements. I also experienced something that I found disheartening: Whole30 took away all of the food-related unwellness and highlighted several areas of true ill health that can, unfortunately, only be remedied with medications and supplements. This is true regardless of whether or not I eat Whole30 (I tested this out). For a while there, I found it disappointing that eating really well showed me where I needed medical help, rather than taking away all of my need for medical help.

My perspective has shifted finally, and I understand that my body has some things about it that really don't want to work well, and that do better with medication. At the same time, feeding myself really well helps me stay healthy too -it's the other half of the equation for good baseline health for me.

This year-long focus is something I've thought of, but wasn't sure how to shape it. So I'm glad to be here and I'll see you folks around!

Archived