Guacamole?

eglwaernk

• Administrators

Everything? :) Dip chicken in it, put it on baked potato, smear it on hamburger patty, dip cooked carrots/green beans in it? Put it on thick soups or chilis? I love steamed brocoli topped with scrambled eggs, topped with sauerkraut, topped with guac. SO good. 

11 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Everything? :) Dip chicken in it, put it on baked potato, smear it on hamburger patty, dip cooked carrots/green beans in it? Put it on thick soups or chilis? I love steamed brocoli topped with scrambled eggs, topped with sauerkraut, topped with guac. SO good. 

This sounds amazing! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In addition to the above suggestions: bell pepper strips, cucumber slices... The list goes on.

I have used guacamole as a sub for mayo in tuna or chicken salad...quite tasty. I love it on eggs with a little salsa, too.

My supermarket had avocados for 39 cents each, so I stocked up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2017 at 8:22 AM, Rebe_J said:

I have used guacamole as a sub for mayo in tuna or chicken salad...quite tasty. I love it on eggs with a little salsa, too.

Any tips on choosing avocados?  I'm having ZERO luck with them. Cut them open and they are too ripe, so I wait until they are black and then they are too far gone. Ugh!  I've made such progress on using fresh produce, but avocados are eluding me and I hate throwing them out!

58 minutes ago, jspiddlin said:

Any tips on choosing avocados?  I'm having ZERO luck with them. Cut them open and they are too ripe, so I wait until they are black and then they are too far gone. Ugh!  I've made such progress on using fresh produce, but avocados are eluding me and I hate throwing them out!

How to tell when an avocado is ripe and other tips:

http://www.thekitchn.com/use-this-simple-trick-to-determine-whether-an-avocado-is-ripe-inside-tips-from-the-kitchn-172933

great tip if you're buying Avocados with stems still attached, however, every single avocado that I've ever purchased, ever, has always been without a stem.  so I give it a bit of a squeeze, if it feels rock solid it's not ripe enough, if it gives a little bit then it's about right, and if there's a lot of give then it needs eating today, or it's too ripe.

On 2/11/2017 at 6:22 AM, Rebe_J said:

They were $1.18/ea in Spearfish, South Dakota yesterday, but I had a hankerin' so I bought 3!

On 3/3/2017 at 6:25 AM, jspiddlin said:

Make a medium-tight fist. Press on the webbing between your thumb and the back of your hand. That is what a perfectly ripe avocado should feel like when you squeeze it. Any harder, it's underripe. Relax your hand - that's too ripe. Keep in mind that avocados go from ripe to overripe in the blink of an eye! 

• 6 months later...

I really don't need anything but a spoon, some protein (think tomatillo roasted chicken or a bowl of venison chili), a raw veggie like red bell peppers or snap peas, or a roasted potato to pair for super-combo flavors, but I will say that I recently added jicama "tortillas" and jicama "sticks" to our menu, and they are a nice crunch w/ some guac!  The jicama tortillas are at Central Market and HEB stores in Texas, but I suppose you could slice your own VERY carefully ;-)

Archived