Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made the Shepherd's Pie from Whole30 cookbook. Easy, delicious, leftovers for days. Happy!

For those of you having bloating, thirst, constipation, and other unpleasantries... be sure to check over in the Troubleshooting forum for answers/support/solutions!

3 hours ago, HilaryT said:

Anyone THIRSTY as heck? I have SO much water (at least ten bottles/pint glasses a day!) and I can't get over the thirst. I literally just had two pint glasses, a kambucha tea, and I am STILL thirsty.

I also have a horrible taste in my mouth all day, and my boyfriend actually just commented on my breath. :wacko:

At least we're making it through day 10, the book says this is one of the toughest days, which makes me even more determined! But this thirst is SO annoying.

Are you including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg every day? It sounds like you might have gone a little too low carb...

4 hours ago, medictrina said:

@jmcbn after my post, my energy took a swan dive.  I went to the gym anyway with my knuckles dragging and got a moderate workout, but my heart wasn't into it.  For the rest of the day my energy and motivation has been dwindling.  I make sure to include fat every time I eat, I have no problems there!  Usually it is in the form of avocado or nuts.  I have had insomnia for the past two nights, so maybe my fatigue is just catching up to me.  I"m going to try and accomplish more today and start fresh tomorrow. 

If you're not feeling any better give us a quick run  down of your food over the last few days, and some info on sleep routine, activity levels, liquid intake etc - we can take a look and see if we can't suggest any tweaks that might help....

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:33 PM, vozelle said:

Welcome JoannaC! Are you doing Pre-Workout and Post-Workout snacks/meals? (pre = protein+fat, post = protein+starchy carb) Are you getting enough starchy veggies in your meals in general? (yam, winter squash, parsnips, beets, etc) These things can help with energy/endurance levels and having enough fuel for a demanding exercise schedule. Another thing to really consider is reducing the intensity of your exercise schedule until your body catches up. The body goes through a lot on the Whole30, and it's important not to over-exercise! (can create too much stress/inflammation). Good luck, and don't be shy to post! We're all family here.  : )

Thank you @vozelle! I really don't eat before the workout, but try to have a little something right after. I will consider your suggestions and see how I feel!

10 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Are you including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg every day? It sounds like you might have gone a little too low carb...

Thanks for the recommendation. What starches besides potato/ sweet potato can I have? Squash?

20 minutes ago, HilaryT said:

Thanks for the recommendation. What starches besides potato/ sweet potato can I have? Squash?

beets, yams, plantains, rutabaga, parsnip.....

You might need a bit more than a fist sized serving for a few days until you feel a little less thirsty, and get rid of that taste in your mouth :)

Hi everyone! I've been MIA for a bit. I've been so busy, I've barely even been online. The good thing about it, is that I didn't even think about being on the Whole30, other than knowing what is not compliant. I've been out a couple of times, and resorted to baked or boiled potatoes as a mini meal, before I could go home and eat properly. I didn't trust any of the sauces for any of the foods, so chose the safest thing.

The truth is, circumstantially I can't always follow the guidelines of how to eat, but I figure as long as I'm staying compliant, I'm doing my best. How is everyone feeling? I don't even know what day of the program it is (haven't had the time to read my daily W30 emails) *counting* ah, day 11 :)

The first tickles of food boredom hit last night when I was planning the menu for next week... I will go back and review some of the meals everyone's posted and get some inspiration!

Yesterday: starter snack: lazy devil. Breakfast: chicken drumsticks w sautéed cabbage and half avocado. Lunch: meatballs and baked sweet potato, other half of avocado. Dinner: zucchini noodles and chicken. Watermelon.

UGH! Not a good day, food boredom is going strong. I can see why people drop out by day 11. The newness has worn off for sure. My daughters made brownies and I want to just eat the whole pan. I am not craving it, just fighting the mental fight and all that crap that we say to ourselves so we fail once again. Sorry just struggling today.

I'm with you all, feeling I need to put some pizazz in the menu. Travel is behind me now so I can settle in and look at some new recipes. I ordered a couple of books that were recommended, but unfortunately they weren't delivered to my house yet before we left. :-(. Have to wait and look on line. I think I want something crunchy!

meal 1: egg whites, wilted spinach, onion & bacon salad, bacon

meal 2: tomato and tuna salad with tessame's dressing and Kalamata olives

meal 3: left over chicken stir fry with cauliflower "rice", apple sauce & pecans

the steroid shot feels like it's working, much less pain today. Hit the beach for a two mile walk.

45 minutes ago, alikoala65 said:

UGH! Not a good day, food boredom is going strong. I can see why people drop out by day 11. The newness has worn off for sure. My daughters made brownies and I want to just eat the whole pan. I am not craving it, just fighting the mental fight and all that crap that we say to ourselves so we fail once again. Sorry just struggling today.

Hang in there @alikoala65. You got this! 

Day 12 and am right on the timeline - I had a dream last night about champagne and cake.

Things are going pretty well except for some pretty horrible heartburn which popped up on Day 10, it came on again last night and I've woken up with it this morning. Have had a read around the forum and people seem to recommend digestive enzymes or apple cider vinegar for it, I didn't have either of those to hand last night so tried baking soda in some water which may have helped briefly but it has come back today. I was going to have steak for dinner but couldn't face it with the heartburn raging so had a baked potato with some vegetables and a bit of a protein bar - its putting me off eating a bit.

Any tips for this gratefully received! 

1 hour ago, MC100 said:

baking soda in some water which may have helped briefly

Yeah, this acts kind of like an antacid, whereas the ACV is an acid - the thinking being that often the stomach isn't creating enough acid and so it has to work harder to pump what is available causing a bit of a back-flow... The antacid will work regardless (albeit temporarily) as it will mask the problem. The ACV work work beautifully if lack of acid IS the problem, but will hurt like heck if it isn't... :wacko:

I'd suggest trying the ACV - you'll know right away what the problem is, and if it makes things worse then you maybe need to avoid the known culprits such as citrus fruits, acidic veg like tomato, coffee etc....

On 1/25/2017 at 1:04 PM, kpenrod1 said:

Ok so quick question, I was looking at Chipotle's site to see what was edible on the Whole30 ( I am going to be traveling this weekend and knew that chipotle had compliant things so I wanted to plan my meal out in advance). Anyways I think the Chorizo is compliant! I am posting the ingredients just to make sure I didn't overlook anything, but does it look all right to you all?

Ingrediants:  White Meat Chicken, Pork, Pork Skins, Seasoning (Paprika, Hungarian Paprika, Smoked Paprika, mild red pepper, dried Oregano, Chipotle Chili pepper, Black Pepper, Salt), Red Wine Vinegar, Garlic, Cumin.

If so this makes me pretty happy since I am not a fan of the carnitas so much. 

From what I've read in previous posts, the chorizo is compliant.  They do use rice bran oil on their grill, but the chorizo isn't warmed on the grill apparently.  It's tastier than the carnitas IMO.  Enjoy.

Happy Day 12 everyone.   I'll post more this weekend. Off to work.

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

Yeah, this acts kind of like an antacid, whereas the ACV is an acid - the thinking being that often the stomach isn't creating enough acid and so it has to work harder to pump what is available causing a bit of a back-flow... The antacid will work regardless (albeit temporarily) as it will mask the problem. The ACV work work beautifully if lack of acid IS the problem, but will hurt like heck if it isn't... :wacko:

I'd suggest trying the ACV - you'll know right away what the problem is, and if it makes things worse then you maybe need to avoid the known culprits such as citrus fruits, acidic veg like tomato, coffee etc....

Thanks so much for your reply, it's been so uncomfortable! I got some ACV this morning and had 20mls - it burned the back of my throat horribly, then settled down a bit but I can still feel the heartburn. I guess that means its too much acid?

I also bought some enzymes but they have maltodextrin in them so I'm not keen to use them if I can avoid it. 

Weirdly I normally have a daily coffee but didn't on day 10, which is when this started. I did have one yesterday thought. Will stick to tea for now and see if that helps! 

@MC100 (and others struggling with various unpleasant GI symptoms) try this link for some good troubleshooting info: http://my.chriskresser.com/wp-content/uploads/membership-files/ebooks/Paleo Diet Challenges & Solutions.pdf?_ga=1.26848059.740285669.1466702466. Chris Kresser is a well-known functional medicine practitioner with extensive clinical experience supporting patients in transitioning to a Paleo diet and reclaiming their health. I'm currently a patient of one of his MDs at The California Center for Functional Medicine, couldn't be more happy with the treatment I've received!

Here's an excerpt about acid/heartburn (he also talks about decreased enzyme production in the full article):

Low stomach acid

Stomach acid is a prerequisite to healthy digestion. The breakdown and absorption of nutrients occurs at an optimum rate only within a narrow range of acidity in the stomach. If there isn’t enough acid, the normal chemical reactions required to absorb nutrients is impaired.

Stomach acid plays a key role in the digestion of protein, carbohydrates and fat. When food is eaten, the secretion of stomach acid (HCL) triggers the production of pepsin. 

Pepsin is the enzyme required to digest protein. If HCL levels are depressed, so are pepsin levels. As a result, proteins don’t get broken down into their component amino acids and peptides. These undigested proteins putrefy in the gut, and may cause gas, bloating, heartburn and other digestive issues.

At the same time, proteins that escape digestion by pepsin may end up in the bloodstream. Since this is not supposed to happen, the body reacts to these proteins as if they were foreign invaders, causing allergic and autoimmune responses.

Low stomach acid also impairs carbohydrate digestion. Stomach acid (HCL) supports the breakdown and absorption of carbohydrates by stimulating the release of pancreatic enzymes into the small intestine. If the pH of the stomach is too high (due to insufficient stomach acid), the pancreatic enzymes will not be secreted and the carbohydrates will not be broken down properly. As Dr. Norm Robillard explained in his book Heartburn Cured, undigested carbohydrates provoke an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine (a.k.a. “SIBO”) which in turn leads to increased gas production and acid reflux. (I’ve written an entire series on GERD (4) on my web site, so check that out if you haven’t already.) 

There are numerous causes of low stomach acid. The most common are:

• H. pylori infection. This is extremely common; studies suggest that 1 in 2 people are infected globally.(1) H. pylori suppresses stomach acid production as a survival strategy. (Seek MD support for testing/diagnosis)

• Stress. Chronic stress has been shown to decrease stomach acid production.

• Acid suppressing drugs. Long-term use of Prilosec, one of the most potent acid suppressing drugs, reduces the secretion of hydrochloric acid (HCL) in the stomach to near zero.(2)

• Low animal protein (i.e. vegetarian/vegan) diet. I haven’t seen studies on this, but my clinical and personal experience suggest that eating a diet low in animal protein decreases stomach acid secretion over time.

• Age. Numerous studies have shown that stomach acid secretion declines with age. In one study researchers found that over 30 percent of men and women past the age of 60 suffer from atrophic gastritis, a condition marked by little to no acid secretion.(3) Another study found that 40% of women over the age of 80 produce no stomach acid at all.(4)

Imagine this scenario: you’ve been on a vegetarian diet for a few years and under a lot of stress at work. You switch (literally overnight) to a Paleo diet where you are now eating meat at least once and often twice a day. Is it any surprise that your digestive system may not respond well to this? The combination of a vegetarian diet, chronic stress and possibly an H. pylori infection would significantly reduce your stomach acid, and thus ability to digest animal protein. 

(read full article for treatment and troubleshooting suggestions)

Hello all!  I am happy to report my energy is getting better!  I still don't have a ferocious appetite, but that is also getting better.  I think my body isn't used to having a meal every 4-5 hours and it took some time to work itself out.  Still haven't had cravings, but I have had to check my habits.  I used to go in the pantry and grab one of my kids snacks to munch on while working around the house and I found myself yesterday standing in the pantry and not sure how I got there.  Food has been simple this week.  I didn't get a chance to meal prep except for cooking various meats.  My favorite thing lately has been romaine lettuce with grilled chicken, lemon garlic Tresseme's dressing, sunflower seeds and what ever salad stuff I can put in.  It has been quick and an easy prep.  I go to work tonight and I get to treat myself with Chipotle.  I will have to try the chorizo.   I'm excited to throw my pork shoulder in the crock pot tonight.   It is awesome following everyone's journey.  

Well the food dreams hit last night. Pretty sure I stuffed my mouth with gummy worms, but that's all I remember :blink: I'm fairly sure I had the "no one saw me so I don't have to start all over again..." thought too. Hmm guess there are some underlying unhealthy food habits surfacing there!

Does anyone know a good recipe for compliant chicken tenders? I added them to the menu for next week, but haven't had a chance to look for recipes. Might just do a light dredge of tapioca starch or maybe almond flour and bake them, of course. 

3 days until the half way point! Hang in there everyone, you're doing great:D 

I had a food dream last night too! So vivid - there was rice in a buffet meal which I had, and then I thought oh, to hell with it, and had a bar of chocolate and told myself that I'd just start W30 again tomorrow. 

We're off for a family overnight hike today... Did a quick run round the supermarket last night and got some compliant supplies that will get the job done but won't win any awards for taste or excitement..! Flavoured tuna in pouches, pouches of baby food, nuts, and meat sticks... You get the idea! 

Grocery store run today, I should be able to change things up this next week. I was curious about the luna bars folks have mentioned, they look non compliant to me so I didn't buy one. (?)  I went through nomnompaleo app and marked some recipes.

meal 1: ground turkey, kale, leeks skillet, coffee with coconut milk...and I actually like it better than the unsweetened almond milk I've been using.

meal 2: left over stir fry; coconut, pecans and dates

meal 3: soup made with the skillet items and chicken stock; sashimi tuna steak charred on the grill with wasabi and fresh ginger.

couldnt believe that my regular chicken stock (and all but One!) had sugar.

@Cher1 Larabars is the brand that has a few compliant ones, but definitely read the ingredients. I found that the Coconut Cream Pie, Cashew Cookie, and Blueberry Pie ones are compliant and bought a few for emergencies. I made my mom put one in her purse because last week she ended up at the ER with my grandma and only had a banana! She missed lunch and had a late dinner, so I told her we needed to make her some "emergency" packs to keep in the car. 

I found a way to drink my coffee now. My bff has been talking about bulletproof coffee for a year now, and I found a compliant way to make it, so I tried it this morning and it's really good! I followed this method, but for 8oz of coffee - http://www.thekitcheneer.com/2015/11/08/whole30-bulletproof-coffee/

You need a blender, so I can't make it at work, but I might try and make it before I walk out the door and drink it on my way to work.

Happy weekend everyone and good luck meal prepping!

Archived