What If....No Reintroduction

MCWhole30

There is no such thing as Whole365. All it takes is ONE non-compliant food and you are no longer eating Whole30. And you will have occasions where you want to eat non-Whole30 foods . . . .

Whole30 is an elimination diet. If you don't take the opportunity, after thirty days, to do a proper reintroduction and to find out EXACTLY how those eliminated foods affect YOU, the odds are very high that you won't be able to design your own successful eating plan: i.e., riding your own bike/food freedom.

If you do the reintroduction, you will arm yourself with the information you need to eat in a way that's best for you--whatever that looks like.

The reintroduction is just as important as the Whole30! Don't squander this chance! Don't join all those people who do Whole30 after Whole30 but who keep coming back wondering why the benefits didn't last . . . when they never did the reintroduction.

Some say there's no such thing as a perfect Whole 30 but there is a compliant Whole 30. It takes hard work and due diligence but it only takes one.  With only one compliant Whole 30, we don't have to keep repeating Whole 30's in giant month hunks. Some have tried to do it without a reintro but they rebounded back with every single pound.  

Regardless if you're interested in the side effects of weight loss, after the 30 day elimination period, the creators intended for us to create our own way of eating that empowers us for the rest of our life. Putting us back in the driver's seat. 

I'm no pro at this, as I'm only going through my first Whole30.  However Melissa, herself, decided to eat primarily by Whole30 guidelines but when she feels like it's *worth it* to eat a cupcake or some chocolate, she does so, and goes back to the guidelines.  She has decided this after doing several Whole30s, but who's to say we're wrong for deciding that ourselves after just one or a few?  The main thing she's pointed out about doing that is making sure you're not avoiding reintroduction out of fear.  If you legitimately feel like you want to stay by the guidelines and really don't care to add anything in, then go on with realistic expectations that you will want to get a piece of Mom's bundt cake when she makes it for Easter, and that's okay.  This is YOUR food freedom at that point.

19 minutes ago, YoJack said:

I'm no pro at this, as I'm only going through my first Whole30.  However Melissa, herself, decided to eat primarily by Whole30 guidelines but when she feels like it's *worth it* to eat a cupcake or some chocolate, she does so, and goes back to the guidelines.  She has decided this after doing several Whole30s, but who's to say we're wrong for deciding that ourselves after just one or a few?  The main thing she's pointed out about doing that is making sure you're not avoiding reintroduction out of fear.  If you legitimately feel like you want to stay by the guidelines and really don't care to add anything in, then go on with realistic expectations that you will want to get a piece of Mom's bundt cake when she makes it for Easter, and that's okay.  This is YOUR food freedom at that point.

Sorry, but Melissa recommends that you do a reintroduction. How Melissa eats and how I and others eat AFTER doing a Whole30 and a reintroduction is "riding your own bike" and the only way you can ride your own bike or attain food freedom is with the INFORMATION about exactly how the foods you've eliminated affect YOU. That's the essential information you get only by doing a Whole30 and then doing a thoughtful reintroduction.

People who don't bother with a reintroduction are throwing away half the program. They come back to the forums again and again wondering why and how they have lost all the benefits they saw after doing a Whole30. It's a sad, and unnecessary situation.

How one eats after Whole30 and reintroductions will look different with different individuals. Some people "off road" (eat a cupcake or . . . .) a lot; others don't. Melissa's shared her experience. YOu can look at Tom Denham's posts (moderator) on here for what his mostly Whole30 eating looks like.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:59 AM, ArtFossil said:

Sorry, but Melissa recommends that you do a reintroduction. How Melissa eats and how I and others eat AFTER doing a Whole30 and a reintroduction is "riding your own bike" and the only way you can ride your own bike or attain food freedom is with the INFORMATION about exactly how the foods you've eliminated affect YOU. That's the essential information you get only by doing a Whole30 and then doing a thoughtful reintroduction.

People who don't bother with a reintroduction are throwing away half the program. They come back to the forums again and again wondering why and how they have lost all the benefits they saw after doing a Whole30. It's a sad, and unnecessary situation.

How one eats after Whole30 and reintroductions will look different with different individuals. Some people "off road" (eat a cupcake or . . . .) a lot; others don't. Melissa's shared her experience. YOu can look at Tom Denham's posts (moderator) on here for what his mostly Whole30 eating looks like.

Right, so if someone doesn't want to reintroduce anything, then why can they make that decision for themselves?  Apparently it's a learning moment for everyone-- the people who totally fall off the bike, the people who stick with their reintroduced items, the others who do the reintroduction but still fall off the bike later, etc.  I searched for Tom Denham's posts.  I'm only just starting to sort through them but I found where someone quoted his Whole30 eating, and what he and I said are pretty similar.  It doesn't say if he reintroduced or not, but after just one Whole30, he decided to be compliant at home, and mostly compliant when dining out.

19 minutes ago, YoJack said:

Right, so if someone doesn't want to reintroduce anything, then why can they make that decision for themselves?  Apparently it's a learning moment for everyone-- the people who totally fall off the bike, the people who stick with their reintroduced items, the others who do the reintroduction but still fall off the bike later, etc.  I searched for Tom Denham's posts.  I'm only just starting to sort through them but I found where someone quoted his Whole30 eating, and what he and I said are pretty similar.  It doesn't say if he reintroduced or not, but after just one Whole30, he decided to be compliant at home, and mostly compliant when dining out.

Because your reactions AFTER a Whole30 may be VERY different from your reactions BEFORE a Whole30. And you can't know what those are--with foods or groups on their own, and not in combination, without doing a reintroduction. The reintroduction gives you essential information about whether a food is worth it or not. 

You're an adult. You get to decide. I am just compassionately letting you know that folks who don't bother to do a reintroduction often go wildly off the rails and return again and again wondering what's wrong. 

An investment of 10 days or 2 weeks or even longer to do a reintroduction is minimal compared to the rest of your life. 

23 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

Because your reactions AFTER a Whole30 may be VERY different from your reactions BEFORE a Whole30. And you can't know what those are--with foods or groups on their own, and not in combination, without doing a reintroduction. The reintroduction gives you essential information about whether a food is worth it or not. 

You're an adult. You get to decide. I am just compassionately letting you know that folks who don't bother to do a reintroduction often go wildly off the rails and return again and again wondering what's wrong. 

An investment of 10 days or 2 weeks or even longer to do a reintroduction is minimal compared to the rest of your life. 

That's some real wisdom UP in there.  I only know of one person in 3 years who did not immediately conduct a reintro who was able to totally manage their relationship with food like a pro. But then again, they are the forum's pro  and many other things. No names or GPS coordinates. 

Melissa wrote the book and created the Reintro phases for the rest of us. I'd be sliding back off the goose without one. 

If you want to live whole 30 forever and you feel great and it's sustainable, great. However, many people find it easier to do the reintroductions so they have the data they need to make decisions. Like, my favorite trader Joe's taco seasoning has sugar in it. It's more worth it to me to include it vs not in a post whole 30 world. A little amount of sugar like that is fine for me, but a lot of sugar like in skittles is not for me.

I'd say some reintroduction are important-if you enjoy eating out, it's nice to know that maybe rice is ok but tofu should never see the light of day(my personal discovery). I'd recommend figuring out what kind of situation might include off plan ingredients in your life-book club, social dining, attending sporting events, backyard bbqs, traveling, etc. If you have something like that coming up, take the time to do some reintroduction beforehand.

If you do a "forced" intro of multiple food groups at once, and if you have some issues after that, you won't know what foods may be problematic for you. Think of the knowledge you gain from a reintroduction part of the non scale victory aspect of the problem. 

But I don't think you need to reintroduce any foods you know you don't want to consume-like personally soy for me. Last time i reintro'd lentils and some beans but not soy.

I'm sure you had some favorite foods pre whole 30 that were not compliant and even if you're not craving them now you're going to want to try them again. It's worth doing reintroduction (even if slow roll) to know if they still work for you. Lots of people feel immortal at the end of their first whole 30 and swear they will never go back, but life happens and foods slip in sometimes. Reintroduction is a huge help with that.

That being said I'm doing my 3rd whole 30 right now and I am only planning to reintroduce a couple foods this time because I really couldn't give a flip about non gluten grains or legumes and would be fine with never touching them again, and if I do end up ingesting them it will be such an isolated event I'll know if I have a reaction. Plus I've reintroduced them twice before. But dairy and gluten? I will want those foods again and I am going to reintro them properly to make sure nothing has changed since the first 2 times.

In "Food Freedom Forever", Melissa states that even now although she doesn't do whole30's, she still does whole7's etc. But always does a  full reintroduction after. She states the importance of the reintroduction that we are continuing to change and reintroduction's are important to see how we have changed and how food is affecting us. Melissa is big on reintroduction!

Glad to find this thread! I'm on day 28 and don't even want to reintroduce because 1. I feel awesome and 2. I'm scared. I was just going to go straight into paleo (with wiggle room for SPECIAL occasions). But, after reading some of your posts, it's pretty clear to me that I should reintroduce, know what's up with all those foods and my body, and then go paleo (if that's what I choose still). I think reintroducing with further help me see that some foods are just not good for me, my body, my figure, or my health. At least, that's what I got out of this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong!

I plan on staying within the framework, it's just nice that I won't have to go all the way to Whole Foods to find specific items. Like, I can still enjoy my new love of salads but I won't HAVE to eat a complaint salad dressing if I don't have one on hand, say at a restaurant or out with friends. It will also make this whole process a lot cheaper lol.

Is there a such thing as a reintroduction at your own pace. My plan is to keep both dairy and added sugars out of my diet overall, however, if I find myself in a position where I eat something non-compliant (say cheese on a dish), then I know i need to give it a couple of days to see how my body reacts to this food group (such as dairy).  Although, I already know that if I were to eat something covered in cheese that I had better be close to a bathroom.....TMI!!  The idea behind reintroduction is to reintroduce one item at a time and take note on how your body reacts in order to learn just what it is that will help you gain your freedom from food. For me, personally, I already know that dairy, added sugars, and most legume causes me bloat, joint tenderness, and other not so enjoyable things within my body. I also already know that if you put a basket of biscuits in front of me that I have no self-control to not sit there and eat the entire basket. So, if I do the reintroduction at my own pace and that fits my lifestyle, that should be ok, right? As long as I learn how to maintain my freedom from food......

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Cathie C said:

Is there a such thing as a reintroduction at your own pace. My plan is to keep both dairy and added sugars out of my diet overall, however, if I find myself in a position where I eat something non-compliant (say cheese on a dish), then I know i need to give it a couple of days to see how my body reacts to this food group (such as dairy).  Although, I already know that if I were to eat something covered in cheese that I had better be close to a bathroom.....TMI!!  The idea behind reintroduction is to reintroduce one item at a time and take note on how your body reacts in order to learn just what it is that will help you gain your freedom from food. For me, personally, I already know that dairy, added sugars, and most legume causes me bloat, joint tenderness, and other not so enjoyable things within my body. I also already know that if you put a basket of biscuits in front of me that I have no self-control to not sit there and eat the entire basket. So, if I do the reintroduction at my own pace and that fits my lifestyle, that should be ok, right? As long as I learn how to maintain my freedom from food......

This is the exact premise of the "Slow Roll Reintro". Have a read. :) And no, you never have to reintroduce things you already know have a negative effect or the things you never plan to eat again.

Archived