Working Around an Egg Sensitivity

Holly T

Hi! I'm wanting to start the Whole30 program on Monday. I am a little concerned with the prospect of my protein consumption as I'm currently making vegan Shakeology protein smoothies for my morning meal, and was been diagnosed with an egg sensitivity about 3 years ago (along with dairy, almonds and cane sugar) and made a concerted effort to go off of all of them for 3 months plus. 

I've done my best to avoid eggs since then, but wonder if I should (a) try them as part of the program for a breakfast option, or (b) keep avoiding them?

I didn't see this topic addressed in the Whole30 book except for a section on avoiding eggs and "nightshade" plants (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, etc.). I'm feeling confused already!!! Any suggestions?

• Moderators

If you've been diagnosed with an egg sensitivity, I don't think adding them in is a good idea.  What you could do is leave them off for the duration and then introduce them again... that way you know that any reaction you may have would be due to the egg and not anything else going on.

• Moderators

Think in terms of meal 1, meal 2, and meal 3, not breakfast, lunch, and dinner -- anything you have for one meal, works just as well for any other meal.

Here's one thread of eggless breakfasts, but it's been discussed on the forum pretty often, so if you need more ideas, google Whole30 no egg breakfast.

I discovered through Whole30 that I have an intolerance to eggs, it was relatively easy for me to eliminate them. For breakfast, I cook up compliant sausage, peppers, and onions. I add dressing, avocado, or guacamole for fat. This is pretty much the only breakfast I eat now and it works for me.

I use the Aidell's chicken sausage and another Italian sausage I found at Costco which is compliant.

I do not appear to have any issues with nightshades or FODMAP's. I eat onions, peppers, and garlic on a daily basis.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:27 AM, Holly T said:

Browneyedbeauty, I am trying the sausage idea on my first day (tomorrow). Do you normally use pork sausage everyday, or change off to chicken or turkey? Also, have nightshade plants been a problem for you? You mention you eat peppers.

I do not eat eggs. I just don't like them. I never have and I probably never will.

My breakfast every morning is sliced compliant sausage (Aidells' chix+apple or Whole Foods andouille pork) sautéed in olive oil with one sliced bell red pepper (green peppers are more earthy and red peppers are sweeter... use whatever you like, green, red, yellow, orange... just stages of growth). There is nothing, imo, better in the morning than sausage and peppers. If using Aidell's pre-cooked chix+apple, saute the pepper first until it softens up and just starts to carmelize then add the sausage. If you are using non-cooked sausage, I just saute the pepper for a minute or two just to start the softening then add the sausage. Don't fear the fat!

My wife does eggs but will sometimes just do what I do minus the pepper.

33 minutes ago, Frank1203 said:

I do not eat eggs. I just don't like them. I never have and I probably never will.

Would you like them
Here or there?

Frank...

I would not like them
here or there.
I would not like them
anywhere.
I do not like
green eggs and ham.
I do not like them,
Sam-I-am

Would you like them
in a house?
Would you like them
with a mouse?

I do not like them
in a house.
I do not like them
with a mouse.
I do not like them
here or there.
I do not like them
anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Would you eat them
in a box?
Would you eat them
with a fox?

Not in a box.
Not with a fox.
Not in a house.
Not with a mouse.
I would not eat them here or there.
I would not eat them anywhere.
I would not eat green eggs and ham.

Would you? Could you?
in a car?
Eat them! Eat them!
Here they are.

I woould not ,
could not,
in a car

You may like them.
You will see.
You may like them
in a tree?
d not in a tree.
I would not, could not in a tree.
Not in a car! You let me be.

I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox
I do not like them in a house
I do mot like them with a mouse
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.

A train! A train!
A train! A train!
Could you, would you
on a train?

Not on a train! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! Sam! Let me be!
I would not, could not, in a box.
I could not, would not, with a fox.
I will not eat them with a mouse
I will not eat them in a house.
I will not eat them here or there.
I will not eat them anywhere.

Frank...you don't ever have to eat another egg again in your life. It's alright. They are plenty of other protein sources that you probably enjoy. Enjoy your Whole 30.

Archived