Packaged Chips

DanaMB27

Are One Potato Two Potato Plain Jaynes sweet potato chips compliant? I have searched everywhere and cannot find an answer! The ingredients are sweet potatoes, expeller pressed sunflower oil, and sea salt. It says they are kettle cooked in small batches and have no artificials, nuts, or gluten. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something! Thank you! :)

Nope: 

Chips: No potato chips, no deep-fried veggie “chips”

While we recognize that potatoes are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find potato chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, deep-fried, salted, crunchy chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason, we do not allow deep-fried veggie chips (like plantain chips) during your Whole30, nor can you skirt the technicalities and hoover a bag of Baked Lays. (Roasted kale chips, oven-baked plantain “chips,” dried unsweetened apple chips, or dehydrated unsweetened banana “chips” are fine – although we’d encourage you to munch with caution, especially on the sweet stuff.)

(http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/)

Hey all, please note that effective April 1, 2017 all store bought chips are no longer Whole30 compliant. This decision was made with our Whole30ers in mind so that everyone can get the most out of their Whole30 and clear up prior confusion. Best wishes!

• 1 year later...

Hi, TSchall, et al. Just to piggyback on this topic, I'm just curious about a few things:

1. Why is it ok to make our own chips if the compliant store bought ones are not in the spirit of W30? I'm asking, b/c I'm noticing some boredom snacking and I'm considering making chips.  

2. Plaintains: I haven't made homemade plantain chips, just tostones, which are AWESOME, but similar question to above. Melissa says, "Especially plantain chips. You know you crack out on them, and news flash: THEY’RE NOT ACTUALLY HEALTHY."
--why/how specifically are they not healthy?

Thanks! Marj

• Moderators

Hi, @Marj K. There's a couple of things here that make homemade chips okay, while store bought aren't. 

First, you're not going to be deep frying chips you make at home.  The article linked above specifically says you can bake, roast, or pan fry them, but not deep fry them. 

Second, when you make something yourself, from scratch, you're a little more likely to eat them mindfully, rather than just inhaling them all and looking around wondering where the rest of the chips went.

Finally, even with all the rules in place, you are expected to take some responsibility for your own decisions. If you know that if you roast up some potato chips, you'll eat them all even if you're not hungry, or you'll eat them instead of eating healthy meals, you shouldn't make them.

As for the plantain chips, I'm not sure exactly what Melissa had in mind when she wrote that, but I suspect that what she meant was something like, those chips are still fried and something you are prone to overeating, and therefore aren't healthy, not to mention that they are taking the place of healthier options if people are indulging in them regularly.

Thank you so much, ShannonM816 & laura_juggles!

That's really helpful, makes perfect sense and was what I was thinking too. 

My snacking (emotional eating) is a lifelong pattern and I've taken mindful eating workshops, etc. and am still struggling...so I may just try the new approach of moving my body. I am good at staying busy (over-busy), but when I'm tired, which is often, I watch TV and snack (or when I'm anxious). I am loving the W30 and the emotional eating habits are the only thing I'm struggling with, which I am grateful for. The snacking--mostly with nuts and healthy fats--came in the last 4 or 5 days and I'm going to be more mindful today. Day 13!

p.s. ShannonM816 how do you paste the handles in as you did above?

Archived