NEED...SUGAR!!!!

Aatifah21

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. :) I literally needed to make this post because I just started the Whole30 diet on Sunday, but AF is visiting and I NEED sugar omg. I used to eat a lot of carbs all of the time. I'm talking 2 cinnamon raisin bagels for breakfast EVERYDAY, some sort of sandwich for lunch or soup with soup crackers and multigrain bread. Also I used to be addicted to the ZonePerfect Fudge Graham bars and I'd eat 3 at a time (the pharmacy around where I live ALWAYS have them on sale for 3 for five dollars :o) so my question is, how do I get my sugar fix? I know it's counter intuitive but I'm dying and AF isnt making it any better! Any fruit bars? Any sort of cacao infused fruit or nuts I can buy? If not then I'll have to just suffer. I'm not hungry and I know I'm not hungry but I can't stop thinking about these cravings! It's driving me insane! :( 

Please help.

- Aatifah21

• Administrators

Aw, @Aatifah21 - I'm sorry you're struggling. We don't give "how to get your sugar fix but compliantly" advice here. Unfortunately this is one of those things you just need to press through. Couple things you can do to make it a bit easier:

• drink adequate water (1/2 ounce per pound of bodyweight)
  • make sure that you are eating enough food overall
  • include starchy veggies at at least one meal (we recommend last meal)
  • if you absolutely have to eat, go for protein and fat 
  • don't eat fruits and/or nuts on their own at any point in the program and don't use fruits to prop up sugar cravings
  • cacao is never compliant for sweet applications. You may use it for pork or beef rubs or chili but never for sweets
  • distract yourself with something non-food related

Stay strong, you can totally do this!

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Aatifah21 said:

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. :) I literally needed to make this post because I just started the Whole30 diet on Sunday, but AF is visiting and I NEED sugar omg. I used to eat a lot of carbs all of the time. I'm talking 2 cinnamon raisin bagels for breakfast EVERYDAY, some sort of sandwich for lunch or soup with soup crackers and multigrain bread. Also I used to be addicted to the ZonePerfect Fudge Graham bars and I'd eat 3 at a time (the pharmacy around where I live ALWAYS have them on sale for 3 for five dollars :o) so my question is, how do I get my sugar fix? I know it's counter intuitive but I'm dying and AF isnt making it any better! Any fruit bars? Any sort of cacao infused fruit or nuts I can buy? If not then I'll have to just suffer. I'm not hungry and I know I'm not hungry but I can't stop thinking about these cravings! It's driving me insane! :( 

Please help.

- Aatifah21

Sorry, this is part of the detox and relearning process, so we're not going to give you compliant 'sugar fixes'.  If you're legitimately hungry, eat fat and protein.  If not and it's just a craving, drink some tea, water, take a walk... basically distract yourself from it... feeding a sugar craving with even compliant items is not going to resolve the problem.

If you have your period (I'm assuming that's what AF means) then you often are hungrier than normal and in that case we suggest eating four meals a day or three meals and a mini meal or two (mini meal being a template meal only smaller).  No snacking on nuts, fruit, dried fruits, nut butters, smoothies etc... Power through, you can do it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hang in there! I started Whole30 to get rid of my sugar addiction. I mean I have an incredible sweet tooth. The first two weeks were hard. I broke down and ate some dates twice. Then I did not allow myself to give in to dates. And now (day 31) I don't crave sweets. This is astounding to me.  After my second date breakdown, I didn't eat fruit for a week. This helped a lot. I really needed to rid myself of craving anything sweet - healthy or not. Now I have one or two pieces of fruit a day, but only with or after a meal. And hopefully to inspire you, as of today I am 10 lbs. down, 3.5 inches off waist, 1 inch off hips, and loads more energy. I'm 48 and in the throws of peri menopause and had been suffering for months with intense night time hot flashes. Those are gone and I got my period again.

Next time you have an intense sugar craving, remind yourself that it will pass. If you have a hobby pick it up and keep your hands busy.  Or go for a quick walk, or clean the bathroom, anything. Just don't give in. You WILL get through the sugar cravings. 

• 2 months later...

You've got this! The sugar cravings are my achilles heel too, and I usually end up distracting myself with an activity that reminds me how strong and healthy my body is and how I want to treat it nicely--be it dancing or taking my dog for a nice walk or doing some yoga or even having a nice hot cup of tea while reading a book.  It always bring me back to my WHY and it helps motivate me a lot.  

Hang in there and push through it! I came into this with the sweetest sweet teeth you could find! I could eat an entire 1.5 quart of ice cream in one sitting (and I did so two to three times a week). I ate chocolate by the bag and was just awful!

The biggest NSV I have from the program is control over my sugar dragon. I don't crave sweets anymore and it is a huge benefit to me and my health! 

Stick with it! You can overcome this! And it will be for the best!! 

Archived