So many dishes to wash

Is anyone else being brought low by the sheer amount of dish washing this program involves? We would usually run our dishwasher every 2-3 days. Now it is on every night. There is always some chopping board, pan, saucepan, baking tray that needs to get washed after every meal. It gets depressing after a while. Also grocery shopping takes forever as you must read every label. I am starting to appreciate what a luxury it is to go out to eat and let someone else deal with the grocery shopping and dishes. 

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Irishgalinabq said:

Is anyone else being brought low by the sheer amount of dish washing this program involves? We would usually run our dishwasher every 2-3 days. Now it is on every night. There is always some chopping board, pan, saucepan, baking tray that needs to get washed after every meal. It gets depressing after a while. Also grocery shopping takes forever as you must read every label. I am starting to appreciate what a luxury it is to go out to eat and let someone else deal with the grocery shopping and dishes. 

You totally get used to it :)  It can be a huge change for a lot of people but maybe consider it a part of honoring your body?  You can also do something like cold plate with crudite and tuna salad etc... every once in a while so you're not always washing pots and pans... I totally feel you tho, I don't have a dishwasher so I wash e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g by hand... there are a few of us on here like that... it's a commitment but it does get easier :)  

19 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You totally get used to it :)  It can be a huge change for a lot of people but maybe consider it a part of honoring your body?  You can also do something like cold plate with crudite and tuna salad etc... every once in a while so you're not always washing pots and pans... I totally feel you tho, I don't have a dishwasher so I wash e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g by hand... there are a few of us on here like that... it's a commitment but it does get easier :)  

Also, I only own a few pots and pans and limited tupperwares so I have to wash up if I want a clean pan for breakfast or to pack tomorrow's lunch. I did a lot of cooking on Monday for the week ahead. Hopefully that will give me 1 night off. I think I will lose weight from all the extra standing up from cooking and dish washing! 

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:11 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

No dishwasher club here too! I put on a podcast or audio book and just go to town. Not sure what your home situation is like, but my fiancé and I have a deal worked out where if I cook, he does the dishes and vice versa. That works really well for us. And once you start feeling the positive effects of the nourishing food you're feeding yourself every day, loading the dishwasher won't feel like such a chore anymore!

Hi!  I totally feel you on this.  I don't even have a dishwasher, and I have a husband and two kids so you can imagine the amount of by-hand dishwashing I'm having to do.  The hubs and I just agreed that whoever cooks doesn't have to wash.  I hope that helps.  I can handle dishes.  I can handle cooking.  I can't handle both.  I work a full time job and am also a professional vocalist with rehearsals and things, so I just can't spend all of my time in the kitchen like that.  So starting today, if I cook, he washes the dishes.  If he cooks, I wash.  I mostly do the cooking on this program, so BOOM, I just got out of doing dishes HA!!  He's a sucker and doesn't even know it lol.  My point is, I don't know if you have a significant other living with you or not, but if so, perhaps this could be an option to relieve you of some of that duty.  GOOD LUCK!!  This truly is more than strict healthy eating.  It's a total life change that requires reorganization of all of our habits and priorities.  One thing you can be sure of is that your body will thank you at the end of this, and nothing is more important than our health!!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

Have you guys ever heard of Katy Bowman?  She is a biomechanist and pretty popular in the ancestral health "world".  She talks a lot about how we all "exercise" every day for 30 min, an hour, whatever... but that we "outsource" all our chances to have natural movement - doing dishes, hanging laundry on the line, moving the lawn without a sit-on (I don't even know what they are called!) mower... things like that.  If you fill your life with lots of little movement you don't need to "exercise" as much!  Just like the OP realized :) 

PS - even chairs/sofas/beds let us outsource movement.  Sitting on the floor uses your core.  Sitting on chairs and sofas, nope. Not to mention the effort to get up and down off the floor (want a good workout - try going from lying to standing 30 times - I'm not kidding - it is tough!).  

On 9/7/2017 at 7:59 AM, racheleats said:

No dishwasher club here too! I put on a podcast or audio book and just go to town.

Having some sort of entertainment in the kitchen is absolutely crucial! I have an ipad mounted to the wall. It doubles as a quick place to pull up recipes, but also netflix/hulu when it's time for the dreaded dishwashing. I can't wash a dish without Seinfeld to keep me company.

• 7 months later...

I have a dishwaher machine as well as some dish scrubber and dishcloth for hand washing. I think the dishes should be washed after a meal and people shouldn't leave dirty dishes in the sink for a long time. Otherwise, the kitchen will become dirty and even have insects and bacteria. In fact, the cleaning is not that hard and unacceptable if you have the right tools and methods for washing up. PS: It is good for relationship if couples are willing to share the housework including dishwashing at home.

12 hours ago, AlisaSnow said:

I have a dishwaher machine as well as some dish scrubber and dishcloth for hand washing. I think the dishes should be washed after a meal and people shouldn't leave dirty dishes in the sink for a long time. Otherwise, the kitchen will become dirty and even have insects and bacteria. In fact, the cleaning is not that hard and unacceptable if you have the right tools and methods for washing up. PS: It is good for relationship if couples are willing to share the housework including dishwashing at home.

No one in this thread was talking about leaving dishes in the sink for days. It's literally about doing the dishes every single day. 

Archived