Excedrin?

BecknRdsMama

So I struggle with headaches, have all my life. I knew a change in diet would cause headaches and I am trying to hold off taking stuff, but yesterday I did. Man that stuff works ( Excedrin is asprin, tylenol, caffeine) But I know it isn't good for my body and want to avoid it. What do you folks do if you have a headache. Thoughts?

I'm also recovering from a cold virus and downed some elderberry syrup on day 2 (I'm just on day 4 ) It doesn't have added sugar but MAN IS IT SWEET! How do remedies and OTC meds work on the whole30?

• 1 month later...

I make my own elderberry syrup, which I generally take a tablespoon of every day for it's immunity boosting benefits. Everything but the honey is whole30 compliant. The recipe I use calls for a 1/2 cup of raw honey, which I don't even use that much because it would be WAYYY too sweet. I probably use a 1/4 of a cup, which is mixed into just over 16 ounces of the syrup. It's not a trigger for me, even though it's sweet, it doesn't leave me craving anything. I consider it similar to taking any other supplement and since I mix in my fermented cod liver oil...it's more like how quickly can I get this down my throat before I gag.

Anyway, with that said, I'm starting a whole 30 today and now I am debating continuing with the elderberry because honey is off limits....or maybe I will make a small batch and skip the honey just for now.

I make my own elderberry syrup, which I generally take a tablespoon of every day for it's immunity boosting benefits. Everything but the honey is whole30 compliant. The recipe I use calls for a 1/2 cup of raw honey, which I don't even use that much because it would be WAYYY too sweet. I probably use a 1/4 of a cup, which is mixed into just over 16 ounces of the syrup. It's not a trigger for me, even though it's sweet, it doesn't leave me craving anything. I consider it similar to taking any other supplement and since I mix in my fermented cod liver oil...it's more like how quickly can I get this down my throat before I gag.

Anyway, with that said, I'm starting a whole 30 today and now I am debating continuing with the elderberry because honey is off limits....or maybe I will make a small batch and skip the honey just for now.

ladunn -

Welcome! We're glad to have you here!

In my opinion, the elderberry syrup is a no-go, FCLO or not. There's nothing in that elderberry syrup that will give you a more significant immune boost than eating a variety of anti-oxidant rich fruits and veggies. Keep taking your FCLO, as long as it's compliant, but I'd ditch the syrup all together for 30 days.

Archived