September 18 start date

Tj V

@Tj V I have not, but I've only really been reading some of the primal and paleo stuff the last few days.  I have heard of Mark Sisson, and Mark's Daily Apple, but have not really looked at it enough to have an opinion.

@Mike5858 I'm not in your position, but I get it.  I would like to toss out something no one has mentioned.  Doing something ongoing, forever, is threatening for a lot of people.  I know that, when I started this, I figured "I will do the 30 days and then see."  Wasn't sure I could give up some things, cheese and wine for sure, and so I was only willing to commit for that 30 days.  Now that I'm three weeks + into it, I know I want to feel this way and keep improving, so I'm planning to continue a paleo modification.  I know there will be slips, intentional and otherwise, as that is how life is, but I feel good enough to keep the paleo/w30 slant going much of the time.  I can see, though, how it could be downright threatening for many to ask them to give up something long term, with no stop date.  That is what stalled me with so many of the other things I tried, keto, Atkins, vegetarian, I was never really ready to commit to them potentially forever.  

I would give her a little break, tell her you are sticking to your reintro and will work with her when you can.  Maybe do a modified reintro and add back, say, pizza, then give it a couple days and see how you both feel.  Then maybe wine or beer, add it back for a day, then step back and compare notes on how you feel.  When she sees the actual effect of those lusted after foods, she may change her mind and you haven't put any pressure.  I hope it goes well!  

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@CorgiLover Oh wow - that really spoke to me! I have definitely been feeling very motivated to continue feeling this way, but also worried about the slips and mistakes and how I would handle the 'bad' food choices (although I know Food Freedom does not talk about foods as good or bad). Previously, I would eat a donut and get so upset at myself for having it that I would continue to eat everything I considered 'bad' or 'unhealthy' until I returned to cleaner eating. I know that many people suffer like this, especially when they label food, and I am trying to work towards healing this. But as I move closer towards reintroduction, I suppose I do worry about the effect of being on alternative plans 'forever'. 

Happy Friday, all!  Wow, even those a week behind are now very close ro the finish line!

We had fun with dinner last night (see below).  It was pina colada chicken from Well Fed.  Here is the link...

http://meljoulwan.com/2009/09/23/dinner-and-a-movie™-the-emmy-awards-and-pina-colada-chicken-with-calypso-confetti-cauliflower/

We did not do the cauliflower, as the dish had lots of veggies.  It was very good!

I hope everyone has a successful weekend and gets super-creative and has fun in the kitchen.  It's Texas/OU, so we are planning Whole 30 finger foods for lunch on Sat. 

Here's another great quote, as I've been feeling like adding inspiration to my life lately... a  sign that I'm feeling quite good!  :D Author is anonymous, or so the image infers... 

cff44f0b4766c31f52f512b3ec49e129.jpg

IMG_20171012_180549.jpg

54 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

@CorgiLover Oh wow - that really spoke to me! I have definitely been feeling very motivated to continue feeling this way, but also worried about the slips and mistakes and how I would handle the 'bad' food choices (although I know Food Freedom does not talk about foods as good or bad). Previously, I would eat a donut and get so upset at myself for having it that I would continue to eat everything I considered 'bad' or 'unhealthy' until I returned to cleaner eating. I know that many people suffer like this, especially when they label food, and I am trying to work towards healing this. But as I move closer towards reintroduction, I suppose I do worry about the effect of being on alternative plans 'forever'. 

@CorgiLover and @SineadMon... me, too.  The program I'm pretty sure I'm going to tackle at the end of all this addresses the "forever" conundrum.  It goes something like this.  "I know this is working for me today, so I'm doing this for today.  We'll see what happens tomorrow."  Thought I'd add this because forever is extremely daunting to most, I think.

Happy Day 26 everyone!   Thank you all so much for your feedback on the "where do we go from here/" question and concerns I had about my wife.  First off, I hope I didn't paint a bad picture of her or our relationship.  She's the best thing that ever happened to me, smart, strong, and beautiful.  I am SO proud of her for sticking out the W30 with me.  We actually had a nice talk over breakfast this morning about re-introduction.  She has left it up to me to do all the reading and be the gatekeeper of the program for her, so I explained what we could/should/hopefully will do.  She understands.  She's with me, and I love her for it.  I've been doing almost all the cooking since we started W30, and this morning she smiled and said, "I love you for cooking, I'll eat whatever you serve".  Can't beat that for a nice start to the day.  I'm getting ideas from all of you, about where to go, after our W30 is complete.  In the end, I'm going paleo of some sort, utilizing W30 type recipes and planning.  I do want to avoid another extremely strict "program" and just make good choices and plan my eating until it becomes habit.  I certainly plan on staying active on these boards, and hope our group stays together for awhile after the program.  I'm really enjoying the "Food Freedom Forever" book.  It's out last weekend on W30 gang, let's make it a great one!

Have a terrific day!

Mike

PS:  dmrob2009, that Pina Colada chicken looks great!  I'm going to see if I can make that without coconut (my wife is allergic to it, so I'll use almond milk instead of coconut milk, and light olive oil instead of coconut oil).  The presentation is cool and pineapples are on sale at Fresh Thyme locally!  

9 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Happy Day 26 everyone!   Thank you all so much for your feedback on the "where do we go from here/" question and concerns I had about my wife.  First off, I hope I didn't paint a bad picture of her or our relationship.  She's the best thing that ever happened to me, smart, strong, and beautiful.  I am SO proud of her for sticking out the W30 with me.  We actually had a nice talk over breakfast this morning about re-introduction.  She has left it up to me to do all the reading and be the gatekeeper of the program for her, so I explained what we could/should/hopefully will do.  She understands.  She's with me, and I love her for it.  I've been doing almost all the cooking since we started W30, and this morning she smiled and said, "I love you for cooking, I'll eat whatever you serve".  Can't beat that for a nice start to the day.  I'm getting ideas from all of you, about where to go, after our W30 is complete.  In the end, I'm going paleo of some sort, utilizing W30 type recipes and planning.  I do want to avoid another extremely strict "program" and just make good choices and plan my eating until it becomes habit.  I certainly plan on staying active on these boards, and hope our group stays together for awhile after the program.  I'm really enjoying the "Food Freedom Forever" book.  It's out last weekend on W30 gang, let's make it a great one!

Have a terrific day!

Mike

PS:  dmrob2009, that Pina Colada chicken looks great!  I'm going to see if I can make that without coconut (my wife is allergic to it, so I'll use almond milk instead of coconut milk, and light olive oil instead of coconut oil).  The presentation is cool and pineapples are on sale at Fresh Thyme locally!  

@Mike5858 Oh, heavens no, you did not paint a bad picture of your wife!  She sounds like a sweet lady and I'm so glad she is on board with continuing on past Whole 30.  I'd love to hear how the chicken turns out with the almond milk and olive oil... I'll bet it is delicious!

6 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

@Mike5858 Oh, heavens no, you did not paint a bad picture of your wife!  She sounds like a sweet lady and I'm so glad she is on board with continuing on past Whole 30.  I'd love to hear how the chicken turns out with the almond milk and olive oil... I'll bet it is delicious!

When you hollowed out the pineapple to serve, did you just use that, instead of the canned stuff it calls for in the recipe?  That makes sense to me to do that, or is there not enough?

Thanks

1 hour ago, dmrob2009 said:

I've heard of it, but the thing I'm most familiar with is the 21 Day challenge.  Are you thinking about doing  the reset?  

I am thinking about it, seriously. I ordered the book and can start reading via kindle before the hardback gets here. Looks like he has you do the 21 day thing first and then go in to the Keto. Not for sure about that. I'm excited about it. I was reading some success stories on MDA and this one about a 75 year old man was super motivating. I'm 60 and gonna be 61 in Feb. I struggle so much with yo-yo and stopping because of rebellion. I am seriously gonna look in to doing this. My mom has Metabolic Syndrome and is a quadruple bypass survivor as well as a cancer survivor. Her younger brother also had a quadruple bypass and type 2 diabetes (mom has this too) and so I fear it's in the genes, you know? I don't wanna have to go through all that. I try other things and I always seem to gravitate back to MDA, although I haven't stuck with that either. But, I think the reason I keep gravitating back to that is because that is what makes total sense to me and seems doable for the long term. 

23 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

When you hollowed out the pineapple to serve, did you just use that, instead of the canned stuff it calls for in the recipe?  That makes sense to me to do that, or is there not enough?

Thanks

Definitely!  With extra to just eat by itself.

19 minutes ago, Tj V said:

I am thinking about it, seriously. I ordered the book and can start reading via kindle before the hardback gets here. Looks like he has you do the 21 day thing first and then go in to the Keto. Not for sure about that. I'm excited about it. I was reading some success stories on MDA and this one about a 75 year old man was super motivating. I'm 60 and gonna be 61 in Feb. I struggle so much with yo-yo and stopping because of rebellion. I am seriously gonna look in to doing this. My mom has Metabolic Syndrome and is a quadruple bypass survivor as well as a cancer survivor. Her younger brother also had a quadruple bypass and type 2 diabetes (mom has this too) and so I fear it's in the genes, you know? I don't wanna have to go through all that. I try other things and I always seem to gravitate back to MDA, although I haven't stuck with that either. But, I think the reason I keep gravitating back to that is because that is what makes total sense to me and seems doable for the long term. 

@Tj V When I was on the Primal Blueprint for the first time and lost my last 75, or so, pounds, once I was  in ketosis, I did not crave anything I was not supposed to have.  The problem started when I tried to incorporate cheat days (just somehow thought I was going to be capable of doing this and we were traveling) where I'd have gluten free stuff like potato chips, tortilla chips, more than 1 cup of coffee, etc, etc.  It opened my brain up to what I was missing and then began the unraveling of all of the hard work.  It really is very hard  to think about life without sweet treats and bread, but once you're there, you feel so good that you really don't care.  

Just now, dmrob2009 said:

When I was on the Primal Blueprint for the first time and lost my last 75, or so, pounds, once I was  in ketosis, I did not crave anything I was not supposed to have.  The problem started when I tried to incorporate cheat days (just somehow thought I was going to be capable of doing this and we were traveling) where I'd have gluten free stuff like potato chips, tortilla chips, more than 1 cup of coffee, etc, etc.  It opened my brain up to what I was missing and then began the unraveling of all of the hard work.  It really is very hard  to think about life without sweet treats and bread, but once you're there, you feel so good that you really don't care.  

My tablet keeps changing font size on me for no apparent reason... sorry!

22 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

@Tj V When I was on the Primal Blueprint for the first time and lost my last 75, or so, pounds, once I was  in ketosis, I did not crave anything I was not supposed to have.  The problem started when I tried to incorporate cheat days (just somehow thought I was going to be capable of doing this and we were traveling) where I'd have gluten free stuff like potato chips, tortilla chips, more than 1 cup of coffee, etc, etc.  It opened my brain up to what I was missing and then began the unraveling of all of the hard work.  It really is very hard  to think about life without sweet treats and bread, but once you're there, you feel so good that you really don't care.  

So are you going back to that when you're done with W30?

@Mike5858 Mike, have you thought about trying a healthier version of pizza? I, like your wife, would love nothing more than to dive into an entire pizza once I'm done on Sunday (because pizza and ice cream are probably the two things I've missed the most) but I might try something more along the lines of this than Pizza Hut: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/?s=pizza. You could perhaps even add cheese to it as part of your dairy reintroduction if that's something you think you'll really miss! 

In general, I'm hoping that this program has changed my taste buds and relationship with food enough that I will genuinely like healthier alternatives of food I used to love and eat without breaks. I'm going to try Paleo ice cream and Paleo banana bread and pretty much Paleo variations of all the things I used to love. I hope I'll never have to go back to Rocky Road ice cream to feel happy about having ice cream. I'm hoping that I'll love the Paleo types of foods instead and that will become my Food Freedom Forever... Maybe I'm hoping for too much!? LOL. 

Can you believe we're almost across the finish line?!

28 minutes ago, kirbz said:

@Mike5858 Mike, have you thought about trying a healthier version of pizza? I, like your wife, would love nothing more than to dive into an entire pizza once I'm done on Sunday (because pizza and ice cream are probably the two things I've missed the most) but I might try something more along the lines of this than Pizza Hut: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/?s=pizza. You could perhaps even add cheese to it as part of your dairy reintroduction if that's something you think you'll really miss! 

In general, I'm hoping that this program has changed my taste buds and relationship with food enough that I will genuinely like healthier alternatives of food I used to love and eat without breaks. I'm going to try Paleo ice cream and Paleo banana bread and pretty much Paleo variations of all the things I used to love. I hope I'll never have to go back to Rocky Road ice cream to feel happy about having ice cream. I'm hoping that I'll love the Paleo types of foods instead and that will become my Food Freedom Forever... Maybe I'm hoping for too much!? LOL. 

Can you believe we're almost across the finish line?!

Thanks for the link, that's very interesting.  I'm interested in a paleo style of "food freedom" too.  It's a great feeling of accomplishment to be almost finished, and a little worrisome (just like the book said!).  

Good morning!

It's Saturday and we are all SO CLOSE! I'm so proud of everyone on this thread.  Big CONGRATULATIONS for making it this far, even those who feel they haven't been 100% perfect... It's close to impossible to get it 100% right.  Y'all are all amazing and I'm looking forward to reintro next week!  What's everyone reintroducing first?  Any good recipes suggestions?

I'm feeling good.  Really, really good.  My husband and I went to our local co-op yesterday for a few items and it was pizza day at the deli.  I can honestly say that while it looked good, I was not craving any of it.  The "it looks good" thought was overshadowed by "not good enough to ruin my mojo".  This is what I was feeling on The Primal Blueprint when I was losing all kinds of weight.  Unstoppable.  Yay!  How's everyone feeling today?

Have a great weekend, all!  

Good morning!

It's Saturday and we are all SO CLOSE! I'm so proud of everyone on this thread.  Big CONGRATULATIONS for making it this far, even those who feel they haven't been 100% perfect... It's close to impossible to get it 100% right.  Y'all are all amazing and I'm looking forward to reintro next week!  What's everyone reintroducing first?  Any good recipes suggestions?

I'm feeling good.  Really, really good.  My husband and I went to our local co-op yesterday for a few items and it was pizza day at the deli.  I can honestly say that while it looked good, I was not craving any of it.  The "it looks good" thought was overshadowed by "not good enough to ruin my mojo".  This is what I was feeling on The Primal Blueprint when I was losing all kinds of weight.  Unstoppable.  Yay!  How's everyone feeling today?

So happy for you!! Well, we have the annual fall festival here today and there will be lots of goodies there. I know there will be meat and salad, so I should be ok. Looking forward to going too. I was craving McDonalds last night, of all things! Well, needless to say, I settled for salad. Have a great day!!

Good morning!

Morning!  My evening/night/morning has been a little rough, but really the only time my system hasn't been happy.  Went to a sushi restaurant last night and ordering was harder than I thought.  Just a bunch of raw fish on come dry cabbage slaw.  Felt flu like this morning, but seem to be okay.  My plan is to delay my birthday by a few days and celebrate with a couple glasses of wine on Wednesday!  I'll try the reintroduction timeline with legumes and have a good chicken/bean chili recipe if anyone wants it.  Interestingly the realmeals plan that says it takes into consideration the fast track reintroduction method wants to throw a lot at me all at once.  So I need to pick through that and find the right combo of recipes.  

I did have a highlight however to my evening that I thought was just perfect in timing... went to a Lululemon hosted event that I thought was just about signing up to get 25% off product in the future. Again another social event at a local bar, this time where there was free drinks. They had a raffle drawing every 30 minutes for $500 shopping spree.  A friend I invited received the first one while I was there.  I was planning on leaving before the next drawing but decided to stay and be late to the sushi dinner.  After drawing two names of people that weren't there and couldn't claim the prize, they drew my name!  I couldn't help but think that the timing was perfect coming off this, to be closer to what is normal weight for me and be rewarded with some fun workout clothes.  

Looking forward to hearing how reintroduction goes for everyone and affects them or not!

11 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

Morning!  My evening/night/morning has been a little rough, but really the only time my system hasn't been happy.  Went to a sushi restaurant last night and ordering was harder than I thought.  Just a bunch of raw fish on come dry cabbage slaw.  Felt flu like this morning, but seem to be okay.  My plan is to delay my birthday by a few days and celebrate with a couple glasses of wine on Wednesday!  I'll try the reintroduction timeline with legumes and have a good chicken/bean chili recipe if anyone wants it.  Interestingly the realmeals plan that says it takes into consideration the fast track reintroduction method wants to throw a lot at me all at once.  So I need to pick through that and find the right combo of recipes.  

I did have a highlight however to my evening that I thought was just perfect in timing... went to a Lululemon hosted event that I thought was just about signing up to get 25% off product in the future. Again another social event at a local bar, this time where there was free drinks. They had a raffle drawing every 30 minutes for $500 shopping spree.  A friend I invited received the first one while I was there.  I was planning on leaving before the next drawing but decided to stay and be late to the sushi dinner.  After drawing two names of people that weren't there and couldn't claim the prize, they drew my name!  I couldn't help but think that the timing was perfect coming off this, to be closer to what is normal weight for me and be rewarded with some fun workout clothes.  

Looking forward to hearing how reintroduction goes for everyone and affects them or not!

@SvmommaHow perfect.  You so deserved to win that... congrats!!!  And good job sticking to plan despite all those temptations!  Also, I'd love that recipe!

@Tj V McDonald's, LOL!  Way to avoid that chemical-laden nightmare... and awesome that you went to a festival, of all things, and stayed compliant!  Kudos to you!!

1 hour ago, Svmomma said:

That's awesome winning the shopping spree.  What a great time to do so!

3 hours ago, dmrob2009 said:

Good morning!

What a great feeling to get rolling early on a Saturday isn't it?  Happy Day 27!   I've been selling furniture out of our garage all morning.  Stuff that was left over from our downsize.  More going this afternoon.  We put it on Craig's List at really low prices to get rid of it.  People are getting some great deals on some nice stuff.  What's made me feel good are the young couples, that are so excited to get our used stuff at a really affordable price.  I have to say that one of the great benefits I'm getting from W30 is an improved mood and outlook.  I'm much less grouchy these days!  LOL  Have a great day everyone!

Mike

PS:  dmrob2009, I made that Pina Colada chicken last night and it was terrific!  Used olive oil and almond milk in place of the coconut stuff and it came out great.  I may have over spiced it with the Jerk seasoning I made (that's what my wife thought, not me :lol:), but I"ll tone it down a bit next time.  Thanks for the recipe!

• Moderators

On October 10, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Svmomma said:

Girl you're never too big for what you put your mind to!  Check this out, plus the lady that does crazy yoga poses: 

That was an amazing video, thank you for sharing!  She has an amazing spirit!

Archived