September 18 start date

Tj V

5 hours ago, dmrob2009 said:

@SvmommaHow perfect.  You so deserved to win that... congrats!!!  And good job sticking to plan despite all those temptations!  Also, I'd love that recipe!

@Tj V McDonald's, LOL!  Way to avoid that chemical-laden nightmare... and awesome that you went to a festival, of all things, and stayed compliant!  Kudos to you!!

The original recipe I couldn't find online, but here I found almost identical (just didn't have to cook anything before just putting really all of it into a crockpot to good on low for 6-8 hours. 
https://www.thespruce.com/chicken-sausage-and-white-bean-chili-3055043

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who have expressed an interest in keto, you may find this link helpful: https://keto.paleoleap.com/?__s=rmhcmk97mv16qziwo5fc

My sweet little Inka (my 14-month old GSP) and I did a 9-mile hike today. It was wonderful to be outside again and I felt strong and happy! I had some turkey and almond butter as a snack along the way. 

I can't believe I only have one more day. Tomorrow is Day 30 for me! Though I think I'm going to try adding on a week... Why am I doing that to myself!? LOL. I do think I'm slightly terrified of reintroduction and falling back into bad habits... 

• Moderators

Just a general note to the participants of this thread, Whole30 does not recommend combining keto or Intermittent fasting with the program.  Some people will sometimes enter ketosis, but it's not a given and should not be something to strive for during the program :)  

12 hours ago, kirbz said:

For those of you who have expressed an interest in keto, you may find this link helpful: https://keto.paleoleap.com/?__s=rmhcmk97mv16qziwo5fc

My sweet little Inka (my 14-month old GSP) and I did a 9-mile hike today. It was wonderful to be outside again and I felt strong and happy! I had some turkey and almond butter as a snack along the way. 

I can't believe I only have one more day. Tomorrow is Day 30 for me! Though I think I'm going to try adding on a week... Why am I doing that to myself!? LOL. I do think I'm slightly terrified of reintroduction and falling back into bad habits... 

8 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Just a general note to the participants of this thread, Whole30 does not recommend combining keto or Intermittent fasting with the program.  Some people will sometimes enter ketosis, but it's not a given and should not be something to strive for during the program :)  

@SugarcubeOD Thanks for the heads up.  We're all thinking out loud for post Whole 30 reintro.  Everyone's excited and a little leary about adding things back.  LOL

@kirbz you go girl.  I'm definitely doing reintro starting Wednesday.  Hubs and I were busting out the fall/Halloween decor last night  and thinking how good a hard cider sounded. I told him we're waiting until reintro.  He begrudgingly agreed.   Sigh.  It really did sound good.  

On another note, I have absolutely no idea how I've managed to quote two people on this comment. :huh: I tried to clear my comment out and start over, to no avail.  I have a seriously outdated Kindle that needs replacing.  :rolleyes:

It's Sunday, (Day 28 for me) and we are oh, so close!  Yesterday was Texas/OU (Go, OU!) It's the anniversary of my first date with DH, as we attended that game back when we lived in Texas 14 years ago.  Needless to say, it's always a cause for celebration at our house.  Thinking outside the box, because we usually do things like chips and queso, we made guacamole and pico, cooked up some compliant breakfast sausage and dipped plantains in it.  We topped it all off with leftover pineapple chunks and made the pumpkin bake with compliant ingredients (I know, I know, slippery slope... but in my defense, it's the first time I've done it in a couple of weeks).  

At any rate, it was a good night and now it's time to prepare the meal plan for next week.  Have a great Sunday, all!

Happy Day 28 everyone!  Still kind of shocked we are this far on the journey!  Good for us!  Busy day yesterday.  Sold a bunch of furniture (some to be picked up today) and put an IKEA cabinet together (that tested my good mood!  LOL).  Going to try pan seared scallops and swiss chard tonight.  Will cook slow cooker Italian Beef tomorrow to use for a few days.  Both recipes are from the W30 cook book.  I'll let you know how they come out.  

My wife and I were talking about cider yesterday too dmrob2009!  We stayed strong as well.  We are going to introduce grains on Wednesday, and alcohol Friday night.  Reading Food Freedom Forever book has inspired me to come up with our own eating plan, grounded in W30, but adding some things we love.  We will seek to keep sweets to a bare minimum, dairy very seldom, small portions of whole grains, and limit alcohol intake to special occasions and weekends.  I know this is harder than a "plan" or "diet", but we've learned so much, that I don't believe we need to live in fear of an occasional treat anymore.  I'll stay on the boards to let you know how it goes.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

1 hour ago, dmrob2009 said:

It's Sunday, (Day 28 for me) and we are oh, so close!  Yesterday was Texas/OU (Go, OU!) It's the anniversary of my first date with DH, as we attended that game back when we lived in Texas 14 years ago.  Needless to say, it's always a cause for celebration at our house.  Thinking outside the box, because we usually do things like chips and queso, we made guacamole and pico, cooked up some compliant breakfast sausage and dipped plantains in it.  We topped it all off with leftover pineapple chunks and made the pumpkin bake with compliant ingredients (I know, I know, slippery slope... but in my defense, it's the first time I've done it in a couple of weeks).  

At any rate, it was a good night and now it's time to prepare the meal plan for next week.  Have a great Sunday, all!

Congrats on the anniversary of the first date!  I've lived in both Oklahoma and Texas.  I know how crazy that rivalry is!  :D

38 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Happy Day 28 everyone!  Still kind of shocked we are this far on the journey!  Good for us!  Busy day yesterday.  Sold a bunch of furniture (some to be picked up today) and put an IKEA cabinet together (that tested my good mood!  LOL).  Going to try pan seared scallops and swiss chard tonight.  Will cook slow cooker Italian Beef tomorrow to use for a few days.  Both recipes are from the W30 cook book.  I'll let you know how they come out.  

My wife and I were talking about cider yesterday too dmrob2009!  We stayed strong as well.  We are going to introduce grains on Wednesday, and alcohol Friday night.  Reading Food Freedom Forever book has inspired me to come up with our own eating plan, grounded in W30, but adding some things we love.  We will seek to keep sweets to a bare minimum, dairy very seldom, small portions of whole grains, and limit alcohol intake to special occasions and weekends.  I know this is harder than a "plan" or "diet", but we've learned so much, that I don't believe we need to live in fear of an occasional treat anymore.  I'll stay on the boards to let you know how it goes.

Have a great day everyone!

Mike

@Mike5858 something about yesterday was screaming cider, LOL.  You have an awesome plan and I'm certain y'all will rock it!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, dmrob2009 said:

@SugarcubeOD Thanks for the heads up.  We're all thinking out loud for post Whole 30 reintro.  Everyone's excited and a little leary about adding things back.  LOL

Don't forget you can do the Slow Roll reintro or the fast track - both are great and depend on the individual doing the reintro to see what fits best.

If you're looking at Keto because you've heard that you can drop weight fast with it (which is not untrue usually for young healthy males) and you're scared about adding things back, that might be something we should discuss.  Don't forget tho that for both reintro programs, you STAY whole30 the whole time and only add back the one item at a time and then go back to Whole30... that means making all meals match the template, eating that fist sized serving of starchy carbs a day (or more depending on the individual), so even if you wanted to try Keto, it's a ways off for this group until after you've done your reintros and know how each food affects you.

Please make sure that IF you are going to do Keto at anytime, you do research... find blogs, forums and articles about WOMEN doing keto if you're a woman... about the potential poor side effects (hair loss, loss of period, hormones going crazy etc) because it's not all it's cracked up to be and it can be VERY hard on your body... 

19 hours ago, kirbz said:

Nice job on getting outdoors and doing what you love!  Some of the best motivation out there!

Day 28 and my birthday... curled up on the couch watching movies with what feels like flu.  Not any huge comfort food cravings (thank goodness dinner included mash potatoes last night thought!) but I'm turning over dinner cooking tonight to DH with some guidance.  It would be great if the moderators in these discussions did more to boost people up rather than come in to critic.  Just sayin'

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

Day 28 and my birthday... curled up on the couch watching movies with what feels like flu.  Not any huge comfort food cravings (thank goodness dinner included mash potatoes last night thought!) but I'm turning over dinner cooking tonight to DH with some guidance.  It would be great if the moderators in these discussions did more to boost people up rather than come in to critic.  Just sayin'

I'm sorry you felt that the information about Keto was a critic... it was merely intended to encourage research.  I also didn't put the information on reintroduction to be a critic.  Please understand that the moderators (of which there are currently three active for this entire site) are volunteers who do this on our own time.  This thread has been nothing but encouragement from the particpants so our job is to make sure that people have the information they need and the program's recommendations.  If you can give me some idea of what you would have preferred to see from that information on Keto and reintroduction, I would be happy for the feedback.

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I'm sorry you felt that the information about Keto was a critic... it was merely intended to encourage research.  I also didn't put the information on reintroduction to be a critic.  Please understand that the moderators (of which there are currently three active for this entire site) are volunteers who do this on our own time.  This thread has been nothing but encouragement from the particpants so our job is to make sure that people have the information they need and the program's recommendations.  If you can give me some idea of what you would have preferred to see from that information on Keto and reintroduction, I would be happy for the feedback.

I think because the moderator comments come irregularly, they can miss the spirit of the person posting or have a pulse on the conversation leading up to it.   You made your comments/recommendations nicely, so sorry if critic sounded harsh.  There was a post in the middle our timeline about a recipe someone in the group was sharing for pumpkin pie, and the moderator said that was not whole30 approved.  It just missed the mark on the majority of the group really having a pretty good understanding of the whole30 theory and that the idea wasn't to replace dessert with compliant foods.  So I guess I was thinking of your comments amongst the few times moderators jumped in.  

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

I think because the moderator comments come irregularly, they can miss the spirit of the person posting or have a pulse on the conversation leading up to it.   You made your comments/recommendations nicely, so sorry if critic sounded harsh.  There was a post in the middle our timeline about a recipe someone in the group was sharing for pumpkin pie, and the moderator said that was not whole30 approved.  It just missed the mark on the majority of the group really having a pretty good understanding of the whole30 theory and that the idea wasn't to replace dessert with compliant foods.  So I guess I was thinking of your comments amongst the few times moderators jumped in.  

Okay , ya I completely understand and if we could participate in every thread so we didn't just show up being big meany pants, then we definitely would but there aren't enough of us and as some of us do this during work time, our priority is making sure the information is out there.

I'm not sure I understand about the pumpkin pie because that definitely would not be allowed but I can see how someone just popping in to poo-poo on an idea with no other engagement in the thread can seem like a buzz kill or a critique but again, back to the volunteer thing and how few of us there are for how many many threads there are... 

I've actually enjoyed reading posts in this group because you guys are so complimentary and encouraging to eachother, which is so awesome!  Keep up the good work in the last couple days to the end!

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okay , ya I completely understand and if we could participate in every thread so we didn't just show up being big meany pants, then we definitely would but there aren't enough of us and as some of us do this during work time, our priority is making sure the information is out there.

I'm not sure I understand about the pumpkin pie because that definitely would not be allowed but I can see how someone just popping in to poo-poo on an idea with no other engagement in the thread can seem like a buzz kill or a critique but again, back to the volunteer thing and how few of us there are for how many many threads there are... 

I've actually enjoyed reading posts in this group because you guys are so complimentary and encouraging to eachother, which is so awesome!  Keep up the good work in the last couple days to the end!

@SugarcubeOD It was a pumpkin/apple breakfast bake with spices that might resemble that of pumpkin pie, but I can assure you that no one on this thread is eating pumpkin pie.  :D 

2 hours ago, Svmomma said:

@Svmomma I'm sorry you're feeling puny.  Hope you get to feeling better soon!

balloons_happy_birthday_small_square_til

I'm also feeling tired, but I think really because I've been doing too much.  I have gotten much less sleep the past few nights, and I'm just kind of fried.  I was a little  off-put by the admin intrusion, I understand we are  using their platform and they much keep an eye.  At the same time, I feel like I am a grown up, and whether I do this or don't is my own fault.  I've had a couple restaurant challenges this weekend, and I've been tired from not getting enough sleep, so have some things to vent.  I'm too pooped, though, so going to drink my magnesium Restful Calm and crash, and come back here tomorrow to parse it out.  Got a rotisserie chicken and some veg for lunch tomorrow, so I can go to cruise control for the next 12 hours.....

As far as Keto goes, group...there are things that @SugarcubeOD has a point with. I've just begun to read Mark Sisson's newest book, called The Keto Reset Diet. Although I haven't read all that far yet, he does warn that there are lots of bad keto diets out there and cautions about just jumping in without doing the right research. It could prove fatal in some cases. He says there is a huge difference between ketoacidosis and ketosis. "..terms like "keto", "ketone-burning", "ketogenic" and "ketotic" are used indiscriminately to describe the burning of ketones for energy and the pursuit of (or existence in) a fat and keto-adapted state. You'll learn the differences along the way in this book, but it's particularly important to understand the distinction between ketosis (a metabolic state quantified by blood or breath meter values) and ketoacidosis. The latter is a potentially life-threatening condition that almost always occurs only in Type 1 diabetics who can't produce insulin or in alcoholics with poorly functioning livers (insulin immediately shuts down ketone production; that's why a high-carb meal knocks you out of ketosis. Unfortunately, ketoacidosis is often confused with ketosis...owing to this common misconception, you may encounter inaccurate internet articles from dieticians, and even doctors, who react to anything "keto" with alarm because of the severity of ketoacidosis." Mark Sisson-The Keto Reset Diet: Reboot Your Metabolism in 21 days and Burn Fat Forever 
That being said, he advises that to do the Keto correctly, you must be in fat burning mode before attempting the keto diet. Having completed a W30 would most likely be a qualifier I would guess. He advises to do the 21 day challenge (Primal Blueprint's version of W30, if I'm not mistaken) and then merge in to the Keto diet from there. I'll have to read the whole book before attempting anything like that. Not trying to screw my metabolism or my health up worse than it is. So far I'm really liking what he has to say and I trust Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Apple; The Primal Blueprint) and his research and knowledge. 
Have a great day everyone!! 

@Tj V yeah, I think @SugarcubeOD was only trying to help.  It would have been more well received if the first mod hadn't been so snarky a couple of weeks ago.  At any rate it would be a shame for the mood of this thread to change two days from the finish line.  We are so close!!!

Here is a link about ketosis straight from Sisson, for those who are interested.   

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-ketosis/

Can y'all believe that we are two days away from reintro?  So close to Wednesday I can taste the red wine (gluten-free beer for hubs).  Kiddos are experimenting with dairy.  

Happy Monday all!  

4 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

@Tj V yeah, I think @SugarcubeOD was only trying to help.  It would have been more well received if the first mod hadn't been so snarky a couple of weeks ago.  At any rate it would be a shame for the mood of this thread to change two days from the finish line.  We are so close!!!

Here is a link about ketosis straight from Sisson, for those who are interested.   

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-ketosis/

Can y'all believe that we are two days away from reintro?  So close to Wednesday I can taste the red wine (gluten-free beer for hubs).  Kiddos are experimenting with dairy.  

Happy Monday all!  

Looks like you have a plan @dmrob2009! Good for you!! Happy day to you!

16 hours ago, Svmomma said:

I missed this yesterday.  Happy (belated) Birthday!  I hope you're feeling better today.

Hey everyone! I'm still here - Day 22 for me and I'm so so proud of you all for getting so close to the finish line. It's so inspirational and I'm definitely ready to rock through this week and meet you all on my Day 30!

I had such a crazy weekend that I didn't get a chance to log in here and touch base until this morning. Happy belated birthday @Svmomma! A lot seems to have happened on the thread and I too hope that we can keep the same encouragement up despite some intrusion from moderators. @SugarcubeOD we all understand the great voluntary role of moderators, but some more empathy and a more supportive tone would be helpful, especially as many of us are asking genuine questions off one another to ensure success on this program, not to undermine the rules. As @CorgiLover said, we are all adults here trying to source more information, not trying to bend the rules.

So this weekend, my boyfriend and I ate out three times - on Friday I was quite nervous about the weekend because I didn't really know where we would go or what we would do and so i was worried that I would be put in a situation where I didn't have many options or was unable to make the meal compliant. But I had some nuts and fruit down my bag in case I just couldn't eat anything but was positive about giving it a go. It worked out great, but we both agreed last night that cooking meals at home is so much more fun!

I do feel a little tired of everything right now - the prepping and planning - but from watching all of your success, I know I need to finish this and get through the next week. @Tj V and @dmrob2009, thanks so much for the keto information. I agree it is something that we all need to be cautious about, especially as it seems to be a new diet plan people go into without enough information or preparation, but I think I'm feeling more like @Mike5858 right now - I'm starting to see my own psychological behavior around food and will reintro to see what really doesn't suit my body, and then keep the 'treats' to a minimum. 

Hope you all have a great start to Day 29!!!!

Archived