thinking about food constantly

This is my day 3 of whole30 and I'm thinking constantly about food. 

My breakfast today was 3 eggs, a side of spinach and half an avocado. This was at around 8am. I do have a regular workout time from 12:45 to 1:30pm. I used to have some snack in the mid-morning (always something sweet) and have lunch right after workout. Today I ate some cashews at around 10:30am. At lunch I ate some pot roast, veggies, half an avocado and an apple (at about 1:45pm).  Now it's 4pm and I had to eat a whole can of tuna. I was so hungry. Dinner is always at about 6:30pm. Any suggestions on what to eat so I'm not so hungry all the time? Am I supposed to eat a larger lunch? THANKS!

• Administrators

Yes, if you are consistently getting hungry before 4-5 hours is up, eat more at meal times. If you can't manage more volume, up your fat amount. For your breakfast though, you need more veggies. Spinach is next to nothing cooked down. Add some sturdier veggies to your breakfast. You can also add a bit of protein to your pre-workout to get you a bit further.

Thinking about food is pretty common in the first few days, especially if this is a full-scale change to your "normal". 

Thanks! I realize now that my old ways are interfering with the whole30 diet. Not only on cutting sugars, but also on the past I would try to limit my fat consumption a lot. So, I still feel apprehensive when it comes to eating fat. I had more pot roast for dinner, but I added the pesto sauce recipe (so much oil, not used to those amounts, but I followed thru). 

Hope things go better tomorrow!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

The apprehension about fat *should* go away.  I am 40 so I totally grew up in the Olestra age (remember those chips... or are you too young?  the bag warned you about anal leakage :lol:).  Anyway.  Just trust in the process for a bit.  Eat to the template and cook with fat and enjoy those things you've (probably) eaten in moderation for so long... avocados, pesto, mayo, egg yolks, fatty meats, bacon, sausage... But be careful with the nuts.  Think garnish.  Not snack.  Or meal.  You likely won't sit down and eat a jar of homemade mayo but it can be easy to plow through too many nuts or too much nut butter.   And don't forget - workouts get pre and/or post workout snacks.  Pre is just fat/pro (I usually did a HB egg and some mayo) and post is pro/carb (so that can of tuna was perfect for a post workout snack, maybe with 1/2 small sweet potato).  

Haha... I know. So much brainwashing about what's good and what's not... I never had trouble eating avocados because in my mind those were 'good fats'. 

Could I just eat half an avocado every meal? I dislike mayo and bacon (have avoided it for years, haha, and now I don't know if it was because I thought bad fat, or because I didn't really like it, but anyways, I don't like them much :( ).  

You could.  You could even eat a, gasp, WHOLE avocado if you wanted to ;) But you might get tired of them...  have you tried ghee?  I like ghee on sweet potatoes.  Full fat coconut milk?  Love that stuff.  Pesto?  Good oil based dressing?  Our latest favorite:  

In a mason jar:

1 egg yolk

1 quartered shallot

1 garlic clove

2 tbsp dijon mustard

3 tbsp + 1 tsp white balsamic vinegar

sprinkle S&P

1 c LIGHT TASTING olive oil

Mix until emulsified with a stick blender.  We also make Dump Ranch a lot.  And mayo.  Try mayo.  You might be surprised.  And maybe try bacon again, because a life without bacon... that makes me sad :)

Thanks! These are all great ideas. Have never tried ghee. I'll go to my supermarket and look for it. My main issue with the 'liquid fats' is that I never know how much to eat of each. With an avocado it's easy, either half or whole, very easy to measure. How much pesto do you eat? Or coconut milk? or will my body tell me 'that was enough'? 

I keep on reading that not eating fat can make you feel super exhausted and I definitely don't want to fall in that trap.

THANKS!

Where have you seen fat makes you feel exhausted?  I think that isn't true at all... Too many carbs makes me want to take a nap!  But everyone is different I suppose.  

Use the template for amounts - thumb size amount of fat.  In terms of "odd" amounts - pesto, coconut milk, etc.  Go with your gut.  That is the best thing about W30 for me - no measuring.  My amounts of coconut milk are "a big blob".  My amount of mayo is a "blob".  Can you remember back to being a kid when you would just eat what seemed right...?  Approach it like that.  30 days of freedom from scales, measuring spoons, etc.  For example when I eat breakfast I put a spoonful of mayo on my plate.  I dip each bite into the mayo.  If I run out I get more.  Crazy :) I have yet to eat a jar all at once by mistake!  I don't mean to make light of this... when I started W30 I measured my food.  All of it.  On a food scale.  I was a friggin' walking nutrition encyclopedia.  This was not easy for me to transition too.  Remember, I ate Olestra chips!  I was all about minimizing calories and fat!  And if you search my name and find my journals you'll see I actually bring a butt load of disordered eating to the table... so having a feeling about how much to eat...  That was not me.  But now... I don't weigh anything.  And low and behold... I'm a bit smaller than I used to be.  Even after having a baby!  

Ghee from the store can be gross, just a heads up.  Nomnompaleo has a post about making your own - I suggest that!  Super easy - you just need a pot, some butter and a coffee filter.  

The Meal Template gives some pretty solid "measurements" for eating other types of fats, including oils, coconut, olives, and even coconut milk. Check it out here: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

For example, if you're using coconut milk as your fat, you want between 1/4 and 1/2 of a 14oz can. I find this list very helpful to identify a starting point and to find other options for fats besides avocados! 

Good luck to you!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, littleg said:

Where have you seen fat makes you feel exhausted?  I think that isn't true at all... Too many carbs makes me want to take a nap!  But everyone is different I suppose.  

Ghee from the store can be gross, just a heads up.  Nomnompaleo has a post about making your own - I suggest that!  Super easy - you just need a pot, some butter and a coffee filter.  

I think the poster said 'not' eating fat can make you tired... 

Also, yes, ghee from the store (especially if that store is Trader Joe's) can be ghastly!!!

Haha. I got the only brand they had at my supermarket Ziyad ghee. Looks super yellow. But I can't find anywhere online if it's whole30 approved or not... thinking of returning it just to be safe. 

I had a huge meal tonight: burger patties, half an avocado, cauliflower rice with pesto and half of a baked sweet potato. It was super yummy! 

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, lizitapola said:

Haha. I got the only brand they had at my supermarket Ziyad ghee. Looks super yellow. But I can't find anywhere online if it's whole30 approved or not... thinking of returning it just to be safe. 

I had a huge meal tonight: burger patties, half an avocado, cauliflower rice with pesto and half of a baked sweet potato. It was super yummy! 

'Whole30 approved' is a program for food manufacturers to get a whole30 label on and the process is quite rigorous.  Whole30 compliant is anything that you can find that does not violate the rules of the program.  ghee is by definition butter with the milk solids removed so a-ok

9 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

'Whole30 approved' is a program for food manufacturers to get a whole30 label on and the process is quite rigorous.  Whole30 compliant is anything that you can find that does not violate the rules of the program.  ghee is by definition butter with the milk solids removed so a-ok

Ah, yes.  Having a 9m old can also make you feel exhausted and not always catch the finer points of written works ;)

9 hours ago, lizitapola said:

That sounds good!  How did you feel after eating it?  It might seem like a lot of food... but remember the goal is to find meals that keep you full 4-5 hours so that meal seems like it would do that!  

Just because ghee can be so good... try this.  Honest, its worth it :)

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15235810877/diy-ghee

However, to get the most delicious caramel like flavor I let it go a little longer than she suggests.  I let mine go (very closely watched because it can go from perfect to burnt really quick) until all the bubbles on the top are this color rather than the color that she shows.  Ideally a shade of orange/brown just about as dark as the inner circle in this picture - I read about letting the solids get browner on an Indian cooking site and have been doing it that way for a while now.  I'm not kidding - tastes like caramel, almost!

tumblr_lx7llhv1ic1qdei8m.jpg

I should try this. The Ziyad brand I bought list as ingredients: ghee butter and natural flavors. (That's the part that worries me that might not be whole30 compliant). I also have a small one who loves her yogurt.... today I served some for her and I was so tempted to lick the spoon. Haha. Habits I have to get rid of...

2 hours ago, lizitapola said:

I should try this. The Ziyad brand I bought list as ingredients: ghee butter and natural flavors. (That's the part that worries me that might not be whole30 compliant). I also have a small one who loves her yogurt.... today I served some for her and I was so tempted to lick the spoon. Haha. Habits I have to get rid of...

Our 9m old just started on solids about 3 months ago.  From the beginning I really made an effort to not just eat what he didn't eat.  If its been chewed and really manhandled the dog gets it, if not it goes back in the tupperware for his next meal :)

Archived