Sleep!

laura0896

I plunged into the Paleo last April for a few reasons, a primary one: higher quality sleep! I didn't have sleep issues, per se, but in the mental health field & obviously know the connection btwn sleep, diet & behavior....

Now into week 3 of the Whole30, it appears as tho my sleep pattern is all messed. Frequently I wake at 3 and can't go back to sleep.

I eat only 2-3 pieces of fruit, earlier in the day... I drink most of my water early in the day so I don't pee all night... I go to bed after some reading & I feel drowsy. It would be my usual time ~9 & ~6-7 wake up.

Problem is, when I wake at 3... I will fall back asleep at 5 and then I am tired, and not get up to exercise... Or just be sluggish for a few hours.

I have noticed several noteworthy changes:

1. Since starting, I am no longer COLD all the time

2. I may not need the full 9 hours of sleep I thought I've always required (seems to be good w just 8)

Maybe I should go to bed at 10 even if I am sleepy @8:30?? (I sometimes get up at 5:30)

All thoughts welcome.... I want, need & LOVE quality sleep!

• Moderators

I'm sorry your sleep is off. I agree that good sleep is wonderful.

We need more information to troubleshoot your issue. First, a food log that details what you are eating all day long for several days. The log should include the size and timing of your meals. Second, a report of any changes in your life that might be influencing sleep - work, stress, etc. Third, how you feel when you wake up - hungry, anxious, sore, etc. Fourth, what are you doing when you wake up between 3 and 5 - turning on a light, getting up, lying quietly in the dark, etc.

Maybe I should go to bed at 10 even if I am sleepy @8:30?? (I sometimes get up at 5:30)

My feeling is that you shouldn't deny your body sleep if that's what it wants. I've noticed changes in my sleep patterns too, and more early-morning waking that I had experienced before. But since I've started placing a higher priority on getting a full 8 hours plus, I (usually) allow myself to go to bed early if I'm tired. If you wake up around the same time everyday, your body will tell you when it's ready for more sleep, and this amount may vary. I've found that now I wake up with no alarm between about 5:45-6:20 daily, but the time I get tired at night varies much more, between 8:30-11.

However when I do wake up in the middle of the night and can't immediately get to sleep, I am sometimes guilty of reading on my phone, which is probably the last thing I should be doing at 3 AM unless I want to get up for the day. I think continuing to lay there quietly with your eyes closed is probably the best thing to do.

How much coffee are you drinking? I just recently finished my third whole 30. I gave up coffee about a week into it. I have always been sleep challenged. Even as a kid. Giving up coffee was the best thing ever. I sleep soundly and even if I do wake up, it's not for long. I also would cut back on fruit. Sugar is sugar is sugar. Maybe try those two things and see if that helps? Here's to a good nights sleep. :)

The whole30 was not a drastic dietary change - just a clean up. I only eat 2-3 pieces of fruit early on the day and only have coffee in the morning.

It is puzzling... I do lay there for hours tossing & turning which annoys my husband. I try to meditate... Sometimes I get up and work... Like last night and I am paying for it today (although I made myself swim this morning anyway!!)

I never use an alarm clock - always rise at the same time... Have a usual bedtime too. My routines are impeccable... So what gives?

Perhaps some work stress... Maybe something here or there in diet sometimes - usually easily pinpointed... But this is different because it is becoming more REGULAR (as in 2-3 times per week)

I don't have the time for a food log - and it feels a little EDO ... But I will begin to try to log it...

Thx for thoughts. Will collect some days & post 'em!!

The whole30 was not a drastic dietary change - just a clean up. I only eat 2-3 pieces of fruit early on the day and only have coffee in the morning.

It is puzzling... I do lay there for hours tossing & turning which annoys my husband. I try to meditate... Sometimes I get up and work... Like last night and I am paying for it today (although I made myself swim this morning anyway!!)

I never use an alarm clock - always rise at the same time... Have a usual bedtime too. My routines are impeccable... So what gives?

Perhaps some work stress... Maybe something here or there in diet sometimes - usually easily pinpointed... But this is different because it is becoming more REGULAR (as in 2-3 times per week)

I don't have the time for a food log - and it feels a little EDO ... But I will begin to try to log it...

Thx for thoughts. Will collect some days & post 'em!!

If you are going to bed at 8:30...and tossing in the early morning hours...then I like the idea of trying to turn in a bit later in the evenings...10:30 should do it...maybe that is all you need in order to make it through...also...maybe try some calming organic tea...I like TAZO Rest...I always sleep so amazingly whenever I drink that before bed.

Good luck!

Just one more thing to toss out there: is it possible that you're having hormonal imbalances? The "wake at 3" is very typical of peri-menopause, and that's exactly what was happening to me for the last 2+ years, until I finally gave in and got on bio-identical hrt. I tried all the herbs that didn't contain soy (with my gyno's guidance) and was minimally successful, but it is the hrt that finally got my sleep back, as well as got the hot flashes under control.

Can't say enough about HRT. I'm not taking it now, but there was a period of time when it's the only thing that worked for me. I would fall asleep just fine, then wake up right on time at 3:00. Like an alarm went off in my head or something. But that stopped happening when I went on HRT. Good luck -- there's nothing worse than a crappy night's sleep.

Archived