Eggs.

AmyS

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am terrified of animals in a can. Not sure why. Just freak me out. (I have issues, can you tell?) But seriously, mad respect for you folks who love the anchovies and sardines and whatnot. They are SO good for you.

I wonder exactly creeps you about them. I get the chicken thing. But canned meat? You don't eat tuna?

I am terrified of animals in a can. Not sure why. Just freak me out. (I have issues, can you tell?) But seriously, mad respect for you folks who love the anchovies and sardines and whatnot. They are SO good for you.

I wonder exactly creeps you about them. I get the chicken thing. But canned meat? You don't eat tuna?

Past life memory. :ph34r:

I am new to the thread, but I can relate to the boring eggs thing. I make eggs for my 7yo daughter and I and she only really likes them slightly scrambled. I am too lazy to cook 2 batches. Sometimes I can throw other stuff in them, but not always. I ordered some garlic and rosemary lamb sausage from Lava Lakes Lamb and plan to make some egg "muffins" as soon as the meat arrives. Add in some of the sausage, fine chopped onions, a little broccoli maybe for me, just eggs and spinach for her. I think that should make me happy.

My favorite breakfast is sauted spinach and sweet potatoes with a couple of fried eggs and then half a can of sardines on top.

It's delicious. Don't make that face.

What - you mean the totally drooling face, the must rush out and get some spinach face? I think I've just found my new breakfast :wub:

Too funny! I knew you were all making that face - well, most of you. But you don't understand, it's soooo good. And soooo good for you. And then I'm satisfied for hours.

My breakfast choices have never been for the faint of heart LOL When I was very high raw I had a green smoothie for breakfast that was neon green. It looked like some kind of radioactive material. And it was delicious as well :)

Robin, I'm shocked! LOL Harmless and delicious little fishies, in portable little single servings. It's total Paleo goodness.

I'll throw another idea out there... how about a breakfast salad? In the summer I like to make a salad out of spinach, hard boiled eggs, nuts, tomatoes, and blueberries with a few nuts. Add a dollop of mayo and there you go...

I love me some sardines! Love them! I can eat them out of a can, on lettuce, used to on crackers.. (yes I eat them in a car, a boat with a goat... lol ok... been reading Green Eggs and Ham a little too often!) Little canned fishies and tuna is about all the fin fish I get as hubby is allergic to fin fish so I don't cook it at home and only get salmon if we eat out.

@Melissa I love salad for breakfast! I do that quite often when the weather is warm sooo good!

Robin, I'm shocked! LOL Harmless and delicious little fishies, in portable little single servings. It's total Paleo goodness.

I'll throw another idea out there... how about a breakfast salad? In the summer I like to make a salad out of spinach, hard boiled eggs, nuts, tomatoes, and blueberries with a few nuts. Add a dollop of mayo and there you go...

Here's the thing: I was a highly compliant, only child of a single mother with phantom stomach problems (we now know was Crohn's). I was never eager to try new things and my mom didn't push it. She fed me what I liked and it was never an issue. So I'm just now, as a grown up with my own kids, discovering the world of food variety. I didn't even try broccoli until I was 18 years old. I'm definitely not the gold standard as far as food adventure, lol.

And I LOVE breakfast salads! My go to formula is spinach, protein, acidic fruit (generally orange or grapefruit) and avocado. Adore.

Funny thing.... I adore fresh grilled sardines/ smelts.... Can't get enough.... Put them or anchovies in a can and blehhhhh.....

I think it was my 10th grade chemistry teacher who ruined me... I was sick semester end and missed about 10 days with regent exams coming up, so Mr.Mack had me come into his 5x5 office during lunch break to catch me up ( quite nice of him actually)..... Anyway, every day for a week he pulled out a can of sardines in oil, two slices of raisin pumpernickel,and and inch thick slice of yellow onion so strong it could curdle fresh milk!!!! He opened the sardines,plopped them on the bread,oil and all, topped with onions and proceeded to make me watch him eat this disgusting,smelly, ,eyeballs pooping out with every bite, sandwich...... Get the picture...I was stuffed into this tiny office with a guy with awful teeth, eating the sandwich from hell.....then he proceed to breath his stinky fish onion raisins breath on me for the next fourty five min.... I was trapped, I was suffocated,I was horrified!!!!!!! I need therapy!!!!!! Mommy.......

Robin, I hear you - I was really just teasing, I hope that came through! I actually grew up eating whatever I could find in the cupboards, which wasn't much. I can identify with not branching out as a child :)

Fenderbender, thanks for sharing. I think LOL That sounds really awful.... I kind of threw up a little in my mouth just reading it.

I love salad any time of the day, but lately I can't seem to digest the raw veggies as well so I am trying to get that straightened out. I love dried cranberries on my salad. Dried cranberries are one my 7 yo daughter will willingly eat her veggies- she loves dried cranberries with spinach and will actually get that out on her own for a snack.

Fenderbender- Your story makes me think of my freshmen science teacher who would drink barrels of coffee and eat chocolate mousse right before our class cause it made his breath particularly revolting and caused white gunk to build up on his lips when he talked. He was really fond of getting in your face to talk to you. He was actually one of my favorite teachers :0)

One of my favorite breakfast egg preps is to saute cherry tomatoes in some olive oil until they burst, throw some spinach over it until that wilts, then put the eggs (scrambled) over that and cook up an omelette. Add some diced avocado, oh man. So good.

One of my favorite breakfast egg preps is to saute cherry tomatoes in some olive oil until they burst, throw some spinach over it until that wilts, then put the eggs (scrambled) over that and cook up an omelette. Add some diced avocado, oh man. So good.

See, that seems like it would be my ideal egg preparation. But I've discovered that though I adore wilted spinach (I can eat it with every meal), I dislike the spinach/egg combo quite intensely.

FenderBender, I wonder if your science teacher was just trying to get you caught up as quickly as possible so he could have his lunch hours free. Ha! Of course, he could have just had messed up taste buds...

You could do any other veggies if you don't like the spinach/egg combo. I find it's the cherry tomatoes that really add some zing. I bet broccoli, zucchini, or anything else would be equally delicious. Even just a cherry tomato and egg omelette with diced avocado would probably be superb!

Can you eat too many eggs? I have them almost every morning, and then sometimes if my fridge is empty or I'm in a hurry I'm having them for lunch too. Next thing you know we are having steak with an egg on top for dinner and it's been eggs all day!

I make a crustless quiche (dozen eggs, shredded zuchinni and yam, onion, bacon or ground pork maybes some mushrooms in a 9x13 baked for 45 min at 375) once or twice a week. I work out early in the morning, so the more sleep I can get the better. I just pre-portion it out, pop it in a pan or toaster oven, maybe top with avocado if I've got a big run ahead etc. It warms up while I'm making my tea and I got 15 extra minutes beauty sleep. :) I also steam a dozen or so eggs (to make them hard "Boiled") and keep those in the fridge too. There are SO many awesome things you can do with an egg... good luck mixing it up!

After making homemade mayo yesterday, I decided it was time I try deviled eggs. I have always LOVED deviled eggs, but had never made them.

Now, my hubby also loves them, and my 7yo daughter thinks she would like them better without the seasonings (just the mayo and egg yolk). I had to restrain myself from making more tonight, otherwise I would have eaten them all.

Although, deviled eggs as an after dinner snack does sound pretty good...

One way i love hard boiled eggs is to 'stretch' my tuna salad with them. my dad always did this, still does, and said it was the way my grandmother stretched tuna. 3-4 hard boiled eggs to a can of tuna, dill, green onions, celery, dill pickles--never sweet--mayo, garlic and onion powder, fresh cracked pepper and paprika. ohhhh yum! used to love big sloppy sandwiches with sprouts and avocado, but now love it stuffed into a tomato, an avocado or just scooped up with celery or bell pepper wedges.

Archived