Detoxing!! :blink:

Screeching headache this morning. I figure that's a good thing-detoxing. Started oil pulling this morning (http://naturalsociety.com/oil-pulling-benefits-what-is-oil-pulling-anyway/ ) something I've done in the past and forgot about. If you have time for it, I think it's worth it, you do it prior to putting anything in your mouth (h20, coffee, etc) I use coconut oil for this because of it's anti-bacterial, anti-viral properties. I melt 1 tbs of coconut oil in a small glass resting in a pan of hot h20 on the stove, coconut oil is solid during the cold months up North. Instructions for Oil Pulling are on the above website or any other when you do a Google search for oil pulling. I use salt water to rinse my mouth after.

Day 6 Woohoo! Almost 25% done (if I only do 30 ;) )

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I felt the first actual ANGER that I couldn't eat bread and my husband was eating bread with every meal. It's been better eating alone... but it sucks to wish to eat alone instead of with your sig other! I really just wanted to grilled cheese with our evening soup today. I ate pineapple for dessert - is that bad? I know we aren't suppose to use fruit as a "sugar dragon" tamer, but I really just wanted some fruit. It seems like eating vegetables and meat all day just makes me want fruit because it's delicious.

Hmmm... I wonder if I'm falling for a trap. I honestly don't feel like I'm eating a banana or pineapple to slay my dragon, mostly I just feel like I want some extra food. Does anyone else feel like that? I've been eating meat every meal - and quite a bit too I think. I stay full, but I just feel like I'm not full yet after my meat and veggies or eggs.

This is a serious ramble. Yesterday I felt like I could win JEOPARDY - today I feel mentally slow. And irritated. And sad that I'm on Day 5 instead of Day 30 so it could be over with. Whaaaaaaaa!!

Oh, I remember the raging phases. It'll pass. But I seriously struggled not to blow my cork a few times. HANG IN THERE.

Now, it's my day 21. Things are moving along-- and looking sunny. I feel trimmer than I have in 20 years, no joke.

Today I felt the first actual ANGER that I couldn't eat bread and my husband was eating bread with every meal. It's been better eating alone... but it sucks to wish to eat alone instead of with your sig other! I really just wanted to grilled cheese with our evening soup today. I ate pineapple for dessert - is that bad? I know we aren't suppose to use fruit as a "sugar dragon" tamer, but I really just wanted some fruit. It seems like eating vegetables and meat all day just makes me want fruit because it's delicious.

Hmmm... I wonder if I'm falling for a trap. I honestly don't feel like I'm eating a banana or pineapple to slay my dragon, mostly I just feel like I want some extra food. Does anyone else feel like that? I've been eating meat every meal - and quite a bit too I think. I stay full, but I just feel like I'm not full yet after my meat and veggies or eggs.

This is a serious ramble. Yesterday I felt like I could win JEOPARDY - today I feel mentally slow. And irritated. And sad that I'm on Day 5 instead of Day 30 so it could be over with. Whaaaaaaaa!!

There there..... This.will.pass.

Re: Fruit. I have been eating a navel orange everyday with my lunch since day 1. It gives me something to look forward to, a sweet treat at meals end (watch out for the excitement that happens when I forgot or dont' have time and I get to eat it after dinner instead!! LOL) Fruit is ok, as long as you're not bingeing on it when you'd normally be bingeing on chocolate!

Hang in there.

Day 6 and heading into business travel this pm with my boss. Dinner/breakfast/lunch out. I think I should be fine, though my customary glass of wine while on travel will be jettisoned. I am fairly certain I'll make good choices as we were just out this weekend and were at an Indian restaurant where--for the first time EVER--I did NOT have any rice, naan, or curries with milk or paneer, etc. in them. Whole 30 FTW! :)

Sounds like everyone is right on schedule!

I had some challenges with eating three squares yesterday (plus my bonus pwo meal), and had an added bit of fruit myself.

Today; I might need a fourth meal as well...but if my stomach is growling then I'm going to eat! I have bee trying to make my meals a bit bigger; and this is my one and only rest day each week...so I was going for three meals...but I have been feeling pretty hungry all day.

Also, made an uncharacteristically nasty salad for lunch...but I ate it anyways...and took one for the team.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous Monday!

Yesterday day 5, was busy doing grocery errands galore, 3 stores! Then prep prep prep, was tired mid-day, & a catnap helped. Survived my first outing restaurant experience, yay!

Today, Day 6, morning til now had lots of energy. I'm getting a foggy headache, ate a few apple slices & walnuts as my pre-wo snack (boiled eggs were no good from last week, old), wonder if apple triggered my foggy headache or sugar withdrawals kicking in.

Hope I survive my first day back trail running, 4 miles.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday, fighting those detox symptoms.

Sounds like everyone is right on schedule!

I had some challenges with eating three squares yesterday (plus my bonus pwo meal), and had an added bit of fruit myself.

Today; I might need a fourth meal as well...but if my stomach is growling then I'm going to eat! I have bee trying to make my meals a bit bigger; and this is my one and only rest day each week...so I was going for three meals...but I have been feeling pretty hungry all day.

Also, made an uncharacteristically nasty salad for lunch...but I ate it anyways...and took one for the team.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous Monday!

I searched through the Whole athletes forum, but its confusing like raisins & larabars are okay but others say it isn't & when I ask a question no one has replied yet.

Can you help?

What do you eat pre-post WO? Boiled eggs down settle too well pre-wo :(

Thanks!

I searched through the Whole athletes forum, but its confusing like raisins & larabars are okay but others say it isn't & when I ask a question no one has replied yet.

Can you help?

What do you eat pre-post WO? Boiled eggs down settle too well pre-wo :(

Thanks!

Good Morning!

First of all, someone will answer you in the other thread...they probably already have; I haven't been in there yet this morning. Make sure to check back; as I'm sure there might be some suggestions we can all benefit from.

Secondly, (and sometimes I feel like an endorsement for the book, but...), have you read It Starts With Food? There is a ton of knowledge in there, and if you are considering this as a way of life (meaning...paleo/whole 30/ primal) ... then I think you would really benefit.

If boiled eggs don't sit well for you pre-wo...then how about deli turkey and some macadamia nuts?

PWO I usually have sweet potato and chicken breast.

Raisins and Larabars are technically whole30 approved...but larabars are only for emergency situations where you are stuck somewhere wihout access to anything else (I usually keep one or two in my car just in case.) Raisins , and dried fruit in general, have a ton of sugar in them...not added sugar (check your labels) but concentrated sugar. Also, raisins are a fruit...so if you have a tbs of raisins then you are giving up having an apple, and which one do you think might sustain you longer?

Hope this helps! :)

Hey gang. Also started on the 2nd and I did another whole 30 back in July.

In keeping with the theme of "experimentation" that was talked about in ISWF, I'm having full blood work done today and then I'll get it done again at the end of the month. I only wish I could have had the before stuff done last week but I'm sure there will still be some damage from my holiday trip off the reservation lingering.

For anyone who hasn't picked up ISWF, DO IT! If only for the recipes in the back. Those one-skillet meals are super easy to make and pack a lot of flavor. I'm primarily working with ground beef since we just picked up a quarter of a grass fed cow over the weekend, but I mix in some chicken and pork from time to time too.

ahhhh...I haven't had too many detox symptoms this round (I only had a week of off-roading between this Whole 30, and the previous.)

I did feel a mild headache last night...and a tiny bit behind the curve in my 60 minute workout this morning, but otherwise it's going great!

Hope everyone is still here, made it through week 1(actually today is day 7 for me), and are getting through the "kill all the things" stage.

How is everyone doing?

Ok, thankfully last night I could not remember my password and was not able to log on. THANK GOD, because I was just ANGRY. I made my fifth recipe that I left out a step or an ingredient and I FLIPPED OUT. I am never angry but last night it all came out. I was angry I couldn't eat ___________ (any food I cannot have I was angry about). I was angry because I cannot cook and it takes me twice as long. Which means I work 9-10 hours a day, I commute 4-5 hours a day, I am cooking 2.5 hours a day and trying to sleep 8 hours a day, oh and actually spend time with family. If you do the math, I am over 24 hours. . I keep almost falling off the wagon every night and I am afraid it is just going to keep getting worse (while I continue to hope for the best).

On normal days, I am a happy, positive "life is full of rainbows" type of person. Has anyone gone through intense frusteration/anger day 5-7? If I had to pinpoint, my anger is mostly at the cooking time being so huge. And yes, I do try to cook a ton on Sunday, but due to having a family, half the food goes to waste because no one loved it and half the food is gone by Tuesday morning. Again, this past Sunday, I was so frusterated that I was in the kitchen cooking for three hours instead of outside in the sunshine. I tried to push past it and into positive but I think it all just got built up to last night.

I wish I had the money to just buy the pre-packaged food! That is what I am going to start wishing for! :) Please someone make me feel better and say they have gone through this and it passes!!!

Hanging in there. I am a little under the weather after a flu shot Sunday. Restless sleep, a little congestion. Woke up and did a pretty good Kathy Friedrich legs workout, but no appetite for breakfast.

I have 4 hardboiled eggs at my desk for when I need them, and a steak salad for lunch.

Keep going, everyone!!!

My husband and I started on Jan 2, but I just joined the forum. My two daughters and their families also started, so we have a little support group going, but I can always use some more! Surprisingly, my husband has been really enthusiastic since reading It Starts With Food. The hardest part has been giving up milk and sweetner in my coffee!

Still here, about 3/4 of the way through Day 7 :D

I have bread and dairy rage. I haven't eaten bread in months (since discovery of wheat/gluten intolerance, which is why I'm here) which has been fine until today.

When everyone in the office seemed to be eating toast- don't they know they're torturing me????

Hi everyone! I started on Jan 2 but I haven't participated in the forums yet. I figured it was time to drop in and say hi. I've done low carb in the past (south beach diet) but this is my first whole30. I'm hoping it will help with the joint pain that I've been having recently. I'm training for my first half marathon so the joint pain is causing a lot of problems. I'm also hoping to get healthier in general, improve my relationship with food, and of course lose a little weight.

My main challenge is entertaining myself all weekend long without going out to eat and drink. (I know how sad that sounds.) My birthday is tomorrow, and I'm also a huge football fan and my team is in the playoffs, so those are added challenges. Those would normally be big food/booze binge days. I think I'll be ok though. I'm a week into the whole30 and I have no intention of cheating. I decided to start on Jan 2 knowing that these challenges would come up, and I'm confident that I can do it!

Glad to see such an active forum and such an engaged, helpful group of people! Nice to "meet" you all! If anyone is interested, I started a blog about my whole30 (it's my first blog, too!): http://wholecarly.wordpress.com/

My appetite has disappeared... strange. Wonder if it's my body starting to use fat for energy?

During my first whole30 I lost my appetite and I freaked out that I had developed some sort of eating disorder. Turned out it was just my body telling me that I've gotten the proper nutrients from the last meal and I didn't need to eat. Who knew? We don't give our bodies enough credit. I also started eating at really odd times (like late breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and it made me realize, "hey! I'm actually only eating when I'm hungry! Not because I think I should!"

On normal days, I am a happy, positive "life is full of rainbows" type of person. Has anyone gone through intense frusteration/anger day 5-7? If I had to pinpoint, my anger is mostly at the cooking time being so huge. And yes, I do try to cook a ton on Sunday, but due to having a family, half the food goes to waste because no one loved it and half the food is gone by Tuesday morning. Again, this past Sunday, I was so frusterated that I was in the kitchen cooking for three hours instead of outside in the sunshine. I tried to push past it and into positive but I think it all just got built up to last night.

sourich23, hang in there! It's normal to be at the "kill all the things!" phase at this point in our Whole30. You will get through it and before you know it there will be rainbows shooting out of your feet!! I don't have a family so I'm not sure if this will apply, but having some "quick go to" meal ideas really helps me on days where I don't feel like eating leftovers or don't want to put a lot of effort into it. Mine are usually a veggie scramble with sliced avocado for dinner, a big salad with proten and lots of veggies, or quickly roasting some vegetables with leftover protein. Somedays it's just a random mix of leftovers even if they don't exactly go together.

Good luck!

My first week is going well so far. Yesterday I wasn't hungry much in the day but I was ravenous at night. I was also super tired but I think that was due more to the fact that I only slept 5 hours. Oops! I'm really enjoying Whole30 much more this time around (my second time) and it's really brought back my love of cooking. I've been posting my pics (well, the nicer looking ones, haha) to instagram, twitter, FB, etc and it's making my friends interested in it as well. See, friends? I'm eating full and delicious meals. I'm not starving myself and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself of anything either!

Congrats to all for making it through day 7!

I love my red wine and I thought that would be my breaking point but I'm doing fine without! I dreamed that I drank a bottle of wine and I felt so guilty. The last two mornings I have awoken with a screeching headache (felt like a wine h/a, now that I think of it) but I took at it as a good sign, detox.

Good Morning!

First of all, someone will answer you in the other thread...they probably already have; I haven't been in there yet this morning. Make sure to check back; as I'm sure there might be some suggestions we can all benefit from.

Secondly, (and sometimes I feel like an endorsement for the book, but...), have you read It Starts With Food? There is a ton of knowledge in there, and if you are considering this as a way of life (meaning...paleo/whole 30/ primal) ... then I think you would really benefit.

If boiled eggs don't sit well for you pre-wo...then how about deli turkey and some macadamia nuts?

PWO I usually have sweet potato and chicken breast.

Raisins and Larabars are technically whole30 approved...but larabars are only for emergency situations where you are stuck somewhere wihout access to anything else (I usually keep one or two in my car just in case.) Raisins , and dried fruit in general, have a ton of sugar in them...not added sugar (check your labels) but concentrated sugar. Also, raisins are a fruit...so if you have a tbs of raisins then you are giving up having an apple, and which one do you think might sustain you longer?

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the reminder, I'm so use to waiting for a notification. :P I will look back at my posts.

ISWF- Purchased it on my iPad & will definitely start reading. Yay!!

Deli turkey- I haven't found a brand that doesn't have hidden sugars. Any suggestions? ( Searching forums as we speak )

PWO- Perfect thanks!! That sounds easy to prepare

Raisins - Ill test that out tomorrow before my run, plus found a few posts in the athlete forum with the same sito I'm in right now.

Yay you helped me so much! Thanks again for your help :)

ahhhh...I haven't had too many detox symptoms this round (I only had a week of off-roading between this Whole 30, and the previous.)

I did feel a mild headache last night...and a tiny bit behind the curve in my 60 minute workout this morning, but otherwise it's going great!

Hope everyone is still here, made it through week 1(actually today is day 7 for me), and are getting through the "kill all the things" stage.

How is everyone doing?

Yesterday lingering light foggy headache but tolerable. 4 mile run felt great until the last .5 mile, slowed down a but but it's okay.

Day 7: Not going to lie, I'm pretty cranky irritated tired right now. Even though I prepare proteins on Sunday, dinner time still need to cook veggies & prep for the next day.....Cooking feels like a second job!! Cooking for two, boyfriend & myself. Looking forward to this stage to pass.

Need eat my pre-wo snack & praying I can get through my DVD Chalean Extreme, today is weights.

Congrats to everyone who's still here!!

ALLISEN I just struggled through Chalean's Turbo Fire 45min... (Day 5)....I had to stop several times and recoup, but I made it through. At times I just slowly followed along to keep myself moving, I ALSO hope to feel some added energy soon. I need NO excuses not to workout.

I have abstained from fruits for the most part, a few pieces of an apple yesterday. I'm not missing the dairy at all (except in my coffee), even on my salads there is so much flavor from the ingreidents a little vingear or lemon squeezes is enough.

Making a plan today for the week, this week I hope to cut out the nuts ....to be honest, I have had so many the last 4 days I've had my fill of them ! :rolleyes:

How's TurboFire going? Fire 45 is my fav but too fatigue to get my dance on ;) lol Good job for finishing it!!

How's nut intake going this week?

Allisen Happy to report that the nuts have left the building! I had only 6 or 7 after my workout yesterday, with about 1/2c sweet potatoes. I love me some TURBOFIRE! Honestly, I am one of the first people ever to join Beachbody 10+years ago before it was so popular! I had Turbo Jam for years but just got FIRE a few months ago, really my "soulmate" workout!

WHAT I LEARNED YESTERDAY: all afternoon I was hungry, and I'm thinking it was the salad I had for lunch, spring mix apparently doesnt sustain me for 4-5hours. Salads for dinner, yes. for lunch, not so much! B)

Who said they feel like they are in the kitchen all the time now? THAT IS ME! I get off work at 3:30, home at 4, workout till 5, pick son up from afterschool program, start dinner 5:30, eat 6:15-6:30, then it's 7pm and I still have all the dishes to do and pack my lunch for the next day!

The eating plan is awesome but the prep work is exhausting!! (now I know what all the "cooking' is people do on weekends!)

Happy Wednesday and DAY 8 ! :rolleyes:

Day 8 here. New to Whole 9. Working in Health Care for more than 30 years. Have witnessed the devastation of our country's habits. Over eating, over working, over medicating and the lack of taking responsibility for their own health. Could write a book on the messes I have touched over the years. Have always gravitated to diet books, eating plans...like can't put those books down. Whole 9 SO connected with me. A W30 is a no brainer.

Asthma/allergies already better. Clarity of mind YES!

Recent desciple of TRX and yesterday OMG!! (no, not good) Punishment. Maybe a little too soon to expect better performance.

Husband with RA and on some real toxic meds now. SOOO another reason to put in the time.

Still going strong. It's my day 23-- a lost my voice after getting a flu shot Sunday and I am a little congested, but I would not call it a cold. Eating is great. Had a good workout this morning. Life is good.

I have a Board meeting tonight, so I will get the Chipoltle paleo special for dinner. It'll be nice to get something kinda different to eat for a change.

Hey demos88! I'm not sure, but I remember reading somewhere on this site that Chipotle may put something off the Whole 30 in their stuff. May want to double check before you indulge since you are so close to finishing!

Today is Day 8 for me and I've definitely hit the tired spots. Couldn't get to bed until later than normal because of my Crossfit Elements class 8-9pm. Was tired ALL day and then couldn't get to sleep last night despite the "Natural Calm". I might need more of it, but to be honest... it gave me such a stomach ache the first day I'm a little afraid to not ease into it. Fear of embarrasing issues :)

Other than that I swear my food is becoming more and more delicious. Either I'm being a damn fine cook, or my tastebuds are just happy with the change. Completely unexpected favorite new food - ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS. Oooohmygod. If you you haven't tried - cut off the stumps and slice in half some brussel sprouts, toss them in a bowl with extra virgin olive oil, salt them, and bake at 400 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, remembering to move them around the pan every now and then. Barefoot Contessa online recipe. So easy and SO. DAMN. GOOD!

Hope all is well with everyone! Isn't is great to not be in week 1 anymore?! :)

Archived