Hey Heather, I finally just saw your reply on Jan 12 to me about my joint pain. I actually started taking fish oil pills almost a year ago, and have continued since then. The joint pain really hit me in the fall of this year, and I'm not really sure why, but the fish oil pills don't seem to help, unfortunately. The whole30 seems to have helped a little, although the pain is still there. I'm only on day 15, like most everyone here, so hopefully there will be more improvement towards the end of the 30 days. Did you find the whole30 helped with your joint pain?

Great job on getting to Day 15! I'm sure you will see more improvements in the area; just keep at it.

I do believe that the whole 30 has helped me with my joint pain...I go fairly hard with my training; and both knees; and my right shoulder; have benefited from the program. This is my third round; and I guess it wasn't until the end of my second w30 that I really started noticing the relief. I wasn't taking any other supplements at the time; and the pain went away about a week after starting the fish oil. Maybe you could change up the brand?

ISWF recommends the "Stronger, Faster, Healthier" brand. :)

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 18 today. It may be under eating. I fill up pretty quick at meals and possibly under eat the fat portion. I'll pay closer attention. Workout 3-4 days a week, variety...my own crossfit ie: squat jumps, pull ups etc, Yoga, Elliptical sprints, Spinning, so probably not the workouts. I do have trouble eating as soon as I get up & before workouts. Thanks for reminding me of these key points. I have read the book, but re-reading everything seemed daunting. I'll try to make improvements there.

As long as you are not hungry, I would hang in there. I am so shocked at how my body has responded to my whole33 (and counting)-- so many of my assumptions have been changed. So I am not one to give advice or tell anyone how to modify the macronutrients.

My experience I have been adding extra olive oil on top of my scrambled eggs, salads, kale, etc., but I am not really sure how much (a healthy pour from the bottle, for sure.)

Since I hit day 30, I have been weighing in daily-- I am absolutely amazed every time.

Happy Saturday; one day at a time.

Good job everyone....

Great job on getting to Day 15! I'm sure you will see more improvements in the area; just keep at it.

I do believe that the whole 30 has helped me with my joint pain...I go fairly hard with my training; and both knees; and my right shoulder; have benefited from the program. This is my third round; and I guess it wasn't until the end of my second w30 that I really started noticing the relief. I wasn't taking any other supplements at the time; and the pain went away about a week after starting the fish oil. Maybe you could change up the brand?

ISWF recommends the "Stronger, Faster, Healthier" brand. :)

Thanks for the tip.. maybe I will change up the brand after I run out of my current bottle (NatureMade). I think I may be seeing some improvements from the whole30 although they're not drastic yet. I think my pain is less during the day than it used to be, although it still bothers me in my workouts. I hit it pretty hard at the gym too - running, spinning, and weight training (some yoga too). My knee pain does seem better in spin and with squats. If the pain does go away, it will make the whole30 a lot easier to stick with long-term, so I guess that's a plus!

Day 18 today. It may be under eating. I fill up pretty quick at meals and possibly under eat the fat portion. I'll pay closer attention. Workout 3-4 days a week, variety...my own crossfit ie: squat jumps, pull ups etc, Yoga, Elliptical sprints, Spinning, so probably not the workouts. I do have trouble eating as soon as I get up & before workouts. Thanks for reminding me of these key points. I have read the book, but re-reading everything seemed daunting. I'll try to make improvements there.

Seems like workouts aren't the problem...although you could try some metabolic conditioning routines that are my favorite to kick my ass in gear.... Set a timer for five minutes. Preform five burpees with a jump then immediately five kettlebell swings (push ups,thrusters,jump squats one arm barbell cleans...all work also) then right back to 5 burpees...on and on as fast as you can for as many reps as you can with no rest for five minutes. Take exactly one min rest and start timer for a second round, this time doing 4 reps, switch, 4 reps..... Then one more five min round,3 reps,3 reps.... And you are done....18 minutes that will kick your ass and leave you wanting your mommy.... No more that once or twice a week ....

One more trick that I like ( this is contrary but it really works for me, so ill share). Eat only fatty fish and chicken, eggs for your protein for 5-6 days....no read meat. ( game meats like venison, elk,etc work fine). When ever I feel like my belt is getting a bit tight I do this and I flush right out.... I love red meat and can eat it three times a day, but it seems to bulk me up if I eat it every day....( my knee is almost bone on bone so lighter is better for me)

Most of all, give yourself time....your body is adjusting and you will settle out.... Relaxation and getting rid of stress is key, trust that you are making yourself HEALTHY and everything else will follow.....

Seems like workouts aren't the problem...although you could try some metabolic conditioning routines that are my favorite to kick my ass in gear.... Set a timer for five minutes. Preform five burpees with a jump then immediately five kettlebell swings (push ups,thrusters,jump squats one arm barbell cleans...all work also) then right back to 5 burpees...on and on as fast as you can for as many reps as you can with no rest for five minutes. Take exactly one min rest and start timer for a second round, this time doing 4 reps, switch, 4 reps..... Then one more five min round,3 reps,3 reps.... And you are done....18 minutes that will kick your ass and leave you wanting your mommy.... No more that once or twice a week ....

One more trick that I like ( this is contrary but it really works for me, so ill share). Eat only fatty fish and chicken, eggs for your protein for 5-6 days....no read meat. ( game meats like venison, elk,etc work fine). When ever I feel like my belt is getting a bit tight I do this and I flush right out.... I love red meat and can eat it three times a day, but it seems to bulk me up if I eat it every day....( my knee is almost bone on bone so lighter is better for me)

Most of all, give yourself time....your body is adjusting and you will settle out.... Relaxation and getting rid of stress is key, trust that you are making yourself HEALTHY and everything else will follow.....

Thank you!! I will try both. The workout looks cool, similar to what I do with my own "Crossfit" Burpee jumps etc. But I like the timer idea and the decreasing reps for the same amount of time. I will also try the no red meat for 5 days. I have some "Garbarge soup" that I've been eating for breakfast that has ground beef but that should be gone tomorrow. Monday should be a good start for Fish and Fowl week.

Thanks again.

Super tired all day after my spin class ^_^

Seems like workouts aren't the problem...although you could try some metabolic conditioning routines that are my favorite to kick my ass in gear.... Set a timer for five minutes. Preform five burpees with a jump then immediately five kettlebell swings (push ups,thrusters,jump squats one arm barbell cleans...all work also) then right back to 5 burpees...on and on as fast as you can for as many reps as you can with no rest for five minutes. Take exactly one min rest and start timer for a second round, this time doing 4 reps, switch, 4 reps..... Then one more five min round,3 reps,3 reps.... And you are done....18 minutes that will kick your ass and leave you wanting your mommy.... No more that once or twice a week .... One more trick that I like ( this is contrary but it really works for me, so ill share). Eat only fatty fish and chicken, eggs for your protein for 5-6 days....no read meat. ( game meats like venison, elk,etc work fine). When ever I feel like my belt is getting a bit tight I do this and I flush right out.... I love red meat and can eat it three times a day, but it seems to bulk me up if I eat it every day....( my knee is almost bone on bone so lighter is better for me) Most of all, give yourself time....your body is adjusting and you will settle out.... Relaxation and getting rid of stress is key, trust that you are making yourself HEALTHY and everything else will follow.....

Did your work out! It was a barn burner. Thanks. Burpees with jumps, kb swings, Skaters, Thrusters

Happy Wednesday. Only one more weekend to go...

I have been eating 4 eggs baked in ramekins (325 degrees for 15 minutes) with 2 tbs olive oil and a thin slice of coarsely chopped prosciutto on top for breakfast. Awesome.

Chunky tuna on to of greens, olives, bell peppers and green beans and 1/4+ cup of olive oil for lunch.

It's working!

Survived an out of town trip to attend a funeral. It was tough finding food to eat when I didn't have the means to prep my own meals etc but I managed to survive. I found I was hungry more often likely due to not getting enough quality fats. I'm sure there were some things that snuck in but on the whole, I did my best to stick to W30 foods.

So glad to be back home and excited to cook a meal for myself this evening. :)

Day 23 and I can't believe how much energy I have. Plan to keep eating mostly on plan since I feel so great. What positives changes has everyone else seen?

Tiger blood as well - it even kicked in on time (according to the schedule), around D14. Now on D25 and it is still with me - it's great.

Plus much better skin, great sleep, yesterday I wore a mini skirt I didn't fit in the past 1,5 years (but I still resisted the temptation to step on the scale ;) ). Not going to change too much after the 30 but I still need to get better in prepping :)

All the best to you out there with me!

Day 23 and I can't believe how much energy I have. Plan to keep eating mostly on plan since I feel so great. What positives changes has everyone else seen?

I feel amazing, too! It sounds kind of crazy to say, but I'm noticeably happier, which I didn't expect at all. I equate "dieting" with "misery," so I figured this would be the same old misery, deprivation, and general malaise, in a shiny new package. As it turns out, the whole30 really is different. I feel so much better physically.. I actually wake up feeling good, I have more energy throughout the day, no slumps, no cravings, and my workouts are improving too. This has also increased my confidence, because I didn't really think I could do it. (Once I committed to it, I knew I would see it through, but there was a long time before that where I thought it was impossible and didn't want to try.) I still have a ways to go, but I'm excited to see the comparison between my before and after pics! Only a week away!

Hope everyone else is doing great too! :)

It's really amazing how fast time flies by! Anyone extending their W30? Plans for re-intro?

I feel amazing, but the purpose of this w30 for me was to see if any of the no-nos were really affecting me on a macro level. I THINK I plan on re-intro as per the ISWF recommendations, then return to mostly compliant eating because I love the way I feel right now (and I realize that even if I don't feel the negative effects, they are happening at a cellular level). I really like KBs mentality of eating compliant at home and in situations I can control and just not worrying about it on the odd occasion I go out.

I do plan a W45 at a minimum in the spring, hopefully it will just be a re-enforcement exercise and not a full start over due to poor decisions. I'm a little nervous though, gotta admit!

Update - I received the results of some blood work yesterday and to my utter amazement, since Oct. 30 and with only 2 1/2 weeks on the Whole 30, my cholesterol droped 16 points, my HDL is up and LDL is down, and triglycerides from 188 to a nice low 68! Now if that isn't reason to continue to be mostly compliant, I don't know anything that is!

On Day 27 and feeling great :D

Bit worried about reintroduction...

What's your biggest worry praxis? I'm going to space mine out farther than D1, D4, etc. I'm only going to do reintros on Fridays/Saturdays just in case. Are you worried about having a reaction or about not coming out for air from the bread :) If it's the latter, you seem to have been doing great, I think you'll be just fine!

Another day closer.

I have lost weight, look lean, feel great... but I have not found all the NEW ENERGY that everyone talks about. I still tired at night. Maybe my late afternoons are a bit more productive, but its subtle.

I hate to whine... the last 42 days have made unbelievable changes to my body.

Archived