Rough day today. Not the eating part, I'm not having any problem staying on the plan. I just had zero energy. Went for a run. I planned to do 4 miles since I knew I was a little tired (I'm training for a half marathon and I'm up to about 7 miles). At 2.5 I hit a wall...legs jello, felt like I might faint, stomach cramping. I'm embarrassed to say I walked the rest of the way back home. THEN, walked into my CF gym this evening and I see Fran on the board. I got through it, but a full minute and a half slower than my usual (then we ran a mile for "active recovery." I feel like death. My muscles are disporportionately sore for the amount of work I did yesterday. I knew I was going to have an energy dip, I just didn't know it was going to be this bad.

I've read in other posts that I should eat more fat but honestly I'm not sure how much more I could eat. I've put away three eggs and and 1.5 avocado today (and a banana, apple, spoonful of almond butter, probably a lb of ground beef, 1 chicken breast...). I think I ate about the same amount yesterday. I'm 5'2", 140 lbs...I shouldn't need to eat this much! I'm hoping this gets better.

...Also, my muscles have been spasming like crazy all day.

Hey Jess,

you're doing great, be a little gentle with yourself. I found my energy going up significantly on days 5, 6, following. Have you been paleo before the whole30 or have you just had one of the biggest nutrition changes in your life? If it is the latter, allow your body two or three more days and I bet you'll feel great. Plus one thing I noticed: the food list (I don't know what else was hidden behind the "...") might long for more veggies?

All the best and keep the spirit up,

Birgit

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I'm a few days late finding this forum topic. Newbie to Whole 30 & cooking more lol, and on day 3! Boyfriend is on board too! :)

Woke up feeling energized & stomach not bloated. Foggy headache is kicking in. Assuming sugar withdrawals.

I am a long distance runner, training for my first ultra. Weight train 4 times a week. Sorta lost what to eat Pre/Post workouts (easily digestible foods) & during my long runs, I use to eat Stingers, Ultima replenish electrolytes, GU's.

Thanks everyone for your help!

For what to eat pre/post workout; check out the threads for athletes in the forums; also ISWF has some info on the subject too. I am sure if you cannot find the answer to your long runs; then you can start a new thread in there; and find a solution.

Welcome! :)

I have rediscovered that nuts are a "food with no brakes" for me. I learned this during my first W30 and got off of them altogether. This time, I wanted to indulge and totally overate nuts and fruit. Technically compliant but too much of it. I'm not starting my 30 days over because I look at this as part of healing my relationship with food. Here's to Day 4!

Great job on the re-start...that must have been hard...but look at you; already on Day 4!

Rough day today. Not the eating part, I'm not having any problem staying on the plan. I just had zero energy. Went for a run. I planned to do 4 miles since I knew I was a little tired (I'm training for a half marathon and I'm up to about 7 miles). At 2.5 I hit a wall...legs jello, felt like I might faint, stomach cramping. I'm embarrassed to say I walked the rest of the way back home. THEN, walked into my CF gym this evening and I see Fran on the board. I got through it, but a full minute and a half slower than my usual (then we ran a mile for "active recovery." I feel like death. My muscles are disporportionately sore for the amount of work I did yesterday. I knew I was going to have an energy dip, I just didn't know it was going to be this bad.

I've read in other posts that I should eat more fat but honestly I'm not sure how much more I could eat. I've put away three eggs and and 1.5 avocado today (and a banana, apple, spoonful of almond butter, probably a lb of ground beef, 1 chicken breast...). I think I ate about the same amount yesterday. I'm 5'2", 140 lbs...I shouldn't need to eat this much! I'm hoping this gets better.

...Also, my muscles have been spasming like crazy all day.

okay...first of all...HUGS! This happens to almost all of us who train...if you stick with it; it will pass/and you will feel the magic.

Maybe review your food log; and if you aren't keeping one in the forums; then start doing that now...this way you can ask a moderator to jump in and review it for you; and help you with issues you may be having when you are training. You can review the section in here for athletes; and find useful info on pre/post workout meals. If you are training twice a day ... then you get two additional meals ... that is two post workout meals on top of your three squares!

Third; and I agree with someone else who posted about veggies...make sure your basic plate contains 1/2 meat; 1/2 veggies; and a thumb or two of full fat. That fat is in addition to the fat you are cooking with; or have in the protein source.

Finally, give yourself a break. If this is your first Whole 30; then you might need extra rest this first week...in the long run (no pun intended...lol) you will be stronger for it; and find your stride sooner. Maybe lay off of the CF until somewhere around day 10-14...or at the very least; drop down to once daily...until you feel your energy start to return.

You'll get there! :)

Sparkling new to this way of eating and No Sugar for 4 days, that's amazing to me. I've gone "no sweets" before, but this way of eating is truly NO SUGAR....and I do have a headache, feeling a bit cranky and struggling a LOT with the idea of having this much fat in my diet.

Couple things, my gf eats this way, she said for the first week that I should have nuts between meals if I'm hungry...she said GO crazy with it, you can work towards the 3 meals a day as you adjust your meal portions. and her other favorite mantra is "have a steak" ~ this is the mindset that I am struggling with....being a chronic dieter, I am programmed not eat red meat or food with lots of calories. I'm scared I'm going to gain 10lbs in 30 days, although I'm not getting on the scale to find out, I guess it's really lack of faith in the program, is this really going to work :wacko: ~~~~ Anyone else thinking these thoughts?

What is all the baking that's going on? Everyone posts "I cooked all day in preparation"... what are you cooking?

AND I love Almond Milk in my coffee!! Being born/raised in Seattle, where you're bottle fed coffee (really the coffee center of the world), switching to 2 cups a day has been quite an adjustment BUT I force myself to drink water inbetween my cups.

lastly, eating within the first hour of waking up ... really? I get up at 5am, if I eat breakfast at 5:30...I dont get lunch till 11am then dont eat till after my workout at 6pm. that's 5 to 6 hours between meals. I feel liked I have to eat a whole COW to make it that long LOL!! HOW DO YOU DO IT??

My mantra: progress not perfection, all of these struggles are not food type relapses if I go off plan to get through I'm gong to be okay! (but I have to limit my almond consumption !)

Have a great day! Sarah

:wub:

(my 5yr old made me use that smilee hehehe)

I'm still here, doing well, fighting off whatever flu thing is going around with fairly minimal symptoms (phew) - so resting a lot. Roasted beets last night, ate two. Heh.

Very glad to be back on a Whole30. Ain't nothin' like it.

so day 4 is about to end. Feel a lot better, and haven't yet felt like killing all the things :D At the moment what I miss the most is coffee. I am taking a break from caffeine during my whole30. Don't know if that was a bit too optimistic...

Well, DH, DD and I are now on day 5.

DD is 16 and she is feeling happy and full of energy already, although tea without sugar AND milk is a little hard for her to deal with.

DH is constantly starving but is sticking to it. I think he has it worse because he cooks for the whole family, and our 5 younger ones are still eating rice, pasta and bread (we all LOVE that stuff).

I have had a headache for the past couple of days but I've put it down to the lack of sugar and I am pretty certain I am not doing it right yet. We eat meat and veggies, but I am a big fan of fruits so I've been eating a lot of fruits in between meals. Today for the first time I changed some fruits for nuts, but from tomorrow I am going cold turkey and having fruits only after a meal. I've been feeling dizzy but not faint... might be my low blood pressure catching up on me. I noticed today that my shorts will come off without being unbuttoned. This pleases me :D

In terms of mood I have been a bit grumpy but I feel calmer today and I think tomorrow may be a lot better still. My kids are all back at school on Monday so that will give me a breather, and leaves just me and the baby at home.

I am so glad I gave up coffee with my last pregnancy. I can't imagine doing this for the first time AND having coffee withdrawal as well.

It is a relief to be able to check in here and see so many other people going through the same process. Thanks to you all for sharing and keep it up ;)

I'm late signing in for the first time, but have been following this thread. This is my first Whole30. I am on Day 4. Day 2, I was completely exhausted, mental fog. Pretty horrible. Day 3, I developed a odd but distrubing headache in the evening, and really felt the need for my bed by 9:00 pm. Today, Day, 4 was pretty good. Not near as much lethargy and no headache. But, I didn't work today.

Still working on getting appropriate supplies, prepping & cooking ahead of time, and just plain cooking.

Excited about the journey.

Dawn

So happy to find this thread....I, too, am late checking in. Day 4 today and I had huge amounts of energy (yesterday was a bear). I've been shocking myself with making good decisions. But the TOUGHEST part of the day is 8pm when I usually have a nice glass of Chardonnay (or two!). I am in the catering business and around food/wine non-stop. Thank goodness it is slow season for me.

Found primal coffee creamer recipe and was so happy! If you haven't tried it, and are missing your morning coffee with French Vanilla Creamer - this will help!

http://followingmynose.com/2010/10/a-primal-non-dairy-coffee-creamer/

Day 4: Woke up with energy but legs body were achy (didn't do heavy weight training) researched through forums, normal detoxing stages. Weekends will be the biggest challenge for us, bf & I. Foggy headache is gone but craving for turkey bacon or a protein shake was on my mind. Ironic they're technically under the "healthy" category but as of right now for 30 days, it's a no go.

First attempt to workout, Chalean Extreme DVD program, felt good but struggled because of the new diet. Cant wait til I start to get my energy back!

Post-WO: chicken breast & cashews went down well. (out of sweet potatoes)

Dinner will be Turkey Meatloaf & veggies, then movie theater night packing nuts & cut up apples & blueberries (fight popcorn candy temptation) Wish us luck!

Thankful for this forum or else I would feel lost.

Good job to everyone!

Just wanted to share: survived movie theater date night!! Drank water galore but by 10pm, stomach was growling still thanks to my blueberries & few cashews, I did it!!

Btw think cashews might make me feel bloated or just me (constipated all of a sudden), need to search forum for that sito & post my food log.

Way to go everyone! Days 4 and 5 were the toughest for me. You are doing great.

I am on day 20 now, and going till Feb 1. I am so surprised how well I am feeling. And changing my basis ways of wanting/craving foods (especially b/w meals). Had to watch my family eat chocolate pecan ie last night. No problem.

Just saw on CNN a new book about sugar-danger. I am so glad to be doing this...

Keep it up.

Sparkling new to this way of eating and No Sugar for 4 days, that's amazing to me. I've gone "no sweets" before, but this way of eating is truly NO SUGAR....and I do have a headache, feeling a bit cranky and struggling a LOT with the idea of having this much fat in my diet.

Couple things, my gf eats this way, she said for the first week that I should have nuts between meals if I'm hungry...she said GO crazy with it, you can work towards the 3 meals a day as you adjust your meal portions. and her other favorite mantra is "have a steak" ~ this is the mindset that I am struggling with....being a chronic dieter, I am programmed not eat red meat or food with lots of calories. I'm scared I'm going to gain 10lbs in 30 days, although I'm not getting on the scale to find out, I guess it's really lack of faith in the program, is this really going to work :wacko: ~~~~ Anyone else thinking these thoughts?

What is all the baking that's going on? Everyone posts "I cooked all day in preparation"... what are you cooking?

AND I love Almond Milk in my coffee!! Being born/raised in Seattle, where you're bottle fed coffee (really the coffee center of the world), switching to 2 cups a day has been quite an adjustment BUT I force myself to drink water inbetween my cups.

lastly, eating within the first hour of waking up ... really? I get up at 5am, if I eat breakfast at 5:30...I dont get lunch till 11am then dont eat till after my workout at 6pm. that's 5 to 6 hours between meals. I feel liked I have to eat a whole COW to make it that long LOL!! HOW DO YOU DO IT??

My mantra: progress not perfection, all of these struggles are not food type relapses if I go off plan to get through I'm gong to be okay! (but I have to limit my almond consumption !)

Have a great day! Sarah

:wub:

(my 5yr old made me use that smilee hehehe)

Welcome!

There are a lot of points I wanted to make about your post...but I'm going to keep it simple.

One of the main benefits of eating this way is no longer worrying about timing of meals; or the scale; or weight loss. It all takes care of itself; and it is really about listening to your body.

If you exercise; eat pre, and post, workout...the forum for athletes can help you with what to eat during these times.

Other than that...three squares a day is the recommended...and the timing is really not the main factor ... if you are hungry after three hours...then eat your next meal...just make sure it is really hunger (stomach rumbling a little...and not a craving.) If you continue to be hungry all the time...then make those three meals a bit bigger.

Do not go "crazy" with nuts. Some of us cannot even have them as snacks; 'cause they are triggers...and we end up eating the entire container (which will actually make you gain weight.) Try to limit them to one small handful a day...and use olives or coconut as a fat source instead.

If you remove snacks; and your three meals are large enough...then you shouldn't be hungry all the time; and everything else will fall into place. Review the guidelines for portions on your plate (I'll find the link in a sec....) and follow that plan.

Search the forums, and ask questions, and you'll be fine! Good Luck! :)

I'm still here, doing well, fighting off whatever flu thing is going around with fairly minimal symptoms (phew) - so resting a lot. Roasted beets last night, ate two. Heh.

Very glad to be back on a Whole30. Ain't nothin' like it.

How did you roast those; in coconut oil? I want to add some to my meals this week. Glad you are feeling better. :)

How did you roast those; in coconut oil? I want to add some to my meals this week. Glad you are feeling better. :)

Beets are one of my favorite veggies :) This is how I make 'em!

If you leave the beets in the skin and boil them for about 30 minutes, take them out and let them cool a little, the skin slips right off and you are left with tasty moist beets... They can be eaten at this point, or cut up and saved in the fridge for adding to anything else (for example steamed with kale with a drizzle of vinagre for flavor). Yummy.

I put the washed beets into my cast iron skillet, plunked in a dollop of refined coconut oil, sprinkled on some Hawaiian salt, covered the skillet with foil, and put it in a 375 degree oven for ???? (some period of time until a sharp knive went right through the beets). At some point in the process I turned the beets over.

I ate one with the skin on and one with the skin off, and didn't notice much difference. Heh. Hm. Time for breakfast here in the islands, maybe I'll have that last beet... yeah.

First attempt to workout, Chalean Extreme DVD program, felt good but struggled because of the new diet. Cant wait til I start to get my energy back!

ALLISEN I just struggled through Chalean's Turbo Fire 45min... (Day 5)....I had to stop several times and recoup, but I made it through. At times I just slowly followed along to keep myself moving, I ALSO hope to feel some added energy soon. I need NO excuses not to workout.

I have abstained from fruits for the most part, a few pieces of an apple yesterday. I'm not missing the dairy at all (except in my coffee), even on my salads there is so much flavor from the ingreidents a little vingear or lemon squeezes is enough.

Making a plan today for the week, this week I hope to cut out the nuts ....to be honest, I have had so many the last 4 days I've had my fill of them ! :rolleyes:

Okay I have gone 5 days fine! Yesterday was really my only challange because I was home. I was hungry in the evening before bed. I had some sweet potato soup and carrots and I was fine. This next week should be a challange because I have alot on my plate and probally will be working under stress. Usually when there is work and stress involved it means PIZZA BUFFET! Not this time! :)

Hello all!

I'm Elke and I got started January 2nd, so right now I'm at the end of Day 5 (live in Europe). On Day 2, my menstruation started. It was hell. On day 3, I got the stomach flu. What does one do when she's ill? Eat lots of chocolate! And muffins! And whatever sweetstuff you can find! Right? Right?

Ok, no I didn't. Yay me!

It's Day 5 and I haven't cheated. Even though I'm sick. You may all think this is normal, but I'm seriously proud of myself :-)

This is my second Whole30 btw, I did a first one back in august, fell totally of the wagon, felt sick and tired, and then sick and tired of being sick and tired and I figured, hey, in January, everyones on a diet, perfect timing to start doing Paleo again, no one is asking questions why I would be turning down a perfectly fine muffin! Ah yes off course, when you're ill at home, no one is even offering you a muffin.

Sorry for the ramble :-)

Today I felt the first actual ANGER that I couldn't eat bread and my husband was eating bread with every meal. It's been better eating alone... but it sucks to wish to eat alone instead of with your sig other! I really just wanted to grilled cheese with our evening soup today. I ate pineapple for dessert - is that bad? I know we aren't suppose to use fruit as a "sugar dragon" tamer, but I really just wanted some fruit. It seems like eating vegetables and meat all day just makes me want fruit because it's delicious.

Hmmm... I wonder if I'm falling for a trap. I honestly don't feel like I'm eating a banana or pineapple to slay my dragon, mostly I just feel like I want some extra food. Does anyone else feel like that? I've been eating meat every meal - and quite a bit too I think. I stay full, but I just feel like I'm not full yet after my meat and veggies or eggs.

This is a serious ramble. Yesterday I felt like I could win JEOPARDY - today I feel mentally slow. And irritated. And sad that I'm on Day 5 instead of Day 30 so it could be over with. Whaaaaaaaa!!

Archived