Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

23 minutes ago, RroseR said:

My second whole30 starts today! Meal prepped for the week so there’s no guesswork.  Hoping I can stick to this.  Loved it the first time I did it, but it’s been a while!! 

Got an instant pot for christmas and omg I’m in love! No excuses now! 

I love my Instant Pot too! :)

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Day 1 everyone!  I'm feeling pretty good about this second W30 and apart from missing milk in my tea this morning, everything's going well so far.  I feel very fortunate that husband enjoys taking this journey with me since that makes meal prepping and planning so much more simple.  We're big fans of cooking a lot and eating from leftovers so my husband made a big breakfast frittata that will last us for the week.  I like to eat mine with compliant guacamole.  Yum!  I also made some Instant Pot beef stew (Nom Nam Paleo recipe) yesterday evening and I'm having that and some broccoli for lunch today and there is enough for use to have several more meals each.  I also cooked several chicken breasts so they are ready for dinner salads later this week. This evening I'm making a double batch of the stuffed pepper recipe in the W30 book.  It's one of our favorites.

Hello all!

I've been loosely following the Whole30 program for the past two years but have failed in every attempt to complete any program. I had completed Jamie Eason's LiveFit program July 2013 and was in the best shape of my life! Then shortly after, the company I worked for started making changes and eventually I found myself accepting a much lower pay and starting "at the bottom" with a new employer... I was unhappy there and eventually was hired with a company I am happy to work for but still make significantly less than I had = stress stress and more stress. I have since become extremely unhealthy, I rarely eat well and I've managed to pack on 40lbs since 2013 (which is also 20lbs heavier than I was full term pregnant).

I am requiring myself to make a change.. big picture = I will take better care of me, I will be a better role model for my adult daughter.

I am excited and nervous for the Whole30 but hopeful that I will feel better, I have the tools to complete the program and I am excited at the possibility of getting my migraines under control (didn't know that was possible).

PS. I want  a soda so bad today... and today is only day 1. BUT, I don't want a soda badly enough to give up on myself.

Happy day 1 to all! I'm back for my fourth and it is my husband's third. Did my first one last February and it changed my life. My relationship with food is completely different now. But I'm human, so I returned to some unhealthy habits over the holidays. As enjoyable as that was, I really started to feel like crap in the end (low energy, headaches, difficulty concentrating) and have missed how good I used to feel. So, here I am again!

I am not a pro by any means, but I have a few tips that may be helpful if it's your first time:

1. Follow the suggested meal template the best that you can. This will prevent hunger at inopportune times and can lessen the initial unpleasant symptoms that often make week 1 difficult. It will also help bring the tiger blood eventually. The hardest part for me is getting enough veggies, especially at breakfast. 

2. EAT THE FAT. I know, I know. We've been told our whole lives how bad fat is for us. Well, it's not. Not if you follow the template, which calls for a thumb-sized portion of a compliant fat in addition to any fat used for cooking. And believe me, you will be hungry if you leave it out. "Oh, but surely skipping the fat will help me lose weight faster..." you secretly think to yourself, even though you know weight loss is not the main focus. But you think wrong, because it won't. Eat the fat! 

3. My favorite recipes are the salmon cakes with tartar sauce from the Whole30 book and Mel Joulwan's chocolate chili. But don't feel like you have to make labor-intensive recipes on a daily basis. 

4. The breakfast struggle is real. Think of it as Meal 1 instead of breakfast and eat leftovers in the morning if you're sick of eggs or don't like them to begin with. 

Hello! Day 1 of my first W30. Super excited to see this thread and can't wait to hear about everyone's experiences. I am traveling next week for work, so would love to hear how some of the veteran's here have handled that. Also, glad to see others are nervous about making it through evening "wine time". Onward!

I just started today and have a QUESTION.

I believe we are supposed to have 3 meals and no snacks, but I am used to 2 small snacks, like an apple and almond butter.  I tried to skip my snacks- but still craved something- so I decided to have a tablespoon of almond butter.  As I shoved the spoon into my mouth, I read the label (I KNOW I should have done that first), and saw that it had honey in it...so I ran to the sink and spit it out.  But I swallowed a bit of it. 

Have I ruined my Whole 30 and do I have to start over tomorrow?  

Thank you!

1 hour ago, NikkiMae said:

Hello all!

I've been loosely following the Whole30 program for the past two years but have failed in every attempt to complete any program. I had completed Jamie Eason's LiveFit program July 2013 and was in the best shape of my life! Then shortly after, the company I worked for started making changes and eventually I found myself accepting a much lower pay and starting "at the bottom" with a new employer... I was unhappy there and eventually was hired with a company I am happy to work for but still make significantly less than I had = stress stress and more stress. I have since become extremely unhealthy, I rarely eat well and I've managed to pack on 40lbs since 2013 (which is also 20lbs heavier than I was full term pregnant).

I am requiring myself to make a change.. big picture = I will take better care of me, I will be a better role model for my adult daughter.

I am excited and nervous for the Whole30 but hopeful that I will feel better, I have the tools to complete the program and I am excited at the possibility of getting my migraines under control (didn't know that was possible).

PS. I want  a soda so bad today... and today is only day 1. BUT, I don't want a soda badly enough to give up on myself.

I feel ya! That' how I feel about coffee. Someone told me I was already cracking....no I'm not. It' a fact. You want a soda, I want creamer, with a little bit of coffee. We won' have it, we will do this!!

1 hour ago, BeckyB said:

Yes, Happy Day 1 everybody.

I also have an Instant Pot and pulled it out yesterday.  I made sweet potato chili, and had that over cauliflower rice for lunch today, it was delicious!

Yeah, I have that down for Saturday.  I may just go ahead and make it now. How was the rice? I have never really cared for cauliflower. 

Happy Day One everyone!

So far so good today, yesterday's marathon food prep session is paying off as I was able to have a structured, satisfying meal 1 and meal 2. Found out today one of my good friends at work has also started W30 so I have an accountability partner (whoop whoop, bonus!!). But a couple questions for the group:

1) I'm feeling like my intense focus on the program is causing me to feel more hungry than I really am. In other words, thinking about what I'm going to eat is making me want to eat. Is this normal (probably) and any words of wisdom on how to re-focus?

2) In reading another thread in the forum I saw some posts about flavored coffee potentially being out of bounds (not adding flavor to coffee, the coffee beans that have flavor... like for example Peppermint Bark Donut Shop Keurig single serve pods). I've read the books and thought I had the rules down but in my mind I guess I just had "I don't add sugar/cream/etc to my coffee therefore I already drink black coffee so therefore I don't have to worry about the coffee thing" in my head. Now that I've worked through my "well CRUD" moment and am drinking really truly no additive black coffee, was wondering if the group has had any other "oops I didn't think about that" moments they can share to help this newbie avoid more assumption pitfalls?

20 minutes ago, LaVesta said:

Yeah, I have that down for Saturday.  I may just go ahead and make it now. How was the rice? I have never really cared for cauliflower. 

Once you rice the cauliflower, it's much less cauliflower-ish.  Plus I use it as a base layer for other things, like the chili today, so it's disguised.  I make the Well Fed version, and I add plenty of onion and garlic.  It's good!

8 minutes ago, BeckyB said:

Once you rice the cauliflower, it's much less cauliflower-ish.  Plus I use it as a base layer for other things, like the chili today, so it's disguised.  I make the Well Fed version, and I add plenty of onion and garlic.  It's good!

Well fed?

43 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

Happy day 1 to all! I'm back for my fourth and it is my husband's third. Did my first one last February and it changed my life. My relationship with food is completely different now. But I'm human, so I returned to some unhealthy habits over the holidays. As enjoyable as that was, I really started to feel like crap in the end (low energy, headaches, difficulty concentrating) and have missed how good I used to feel. So, here I am again!

I am not a pro by any means, but I have a few tips that may be helpful if it's your first time:

1. Follow the suggested meal template the best that you can. This will prevent hunger at inopportune times and can lessen the initial unpleasant symptoms that often make week 1 difficult. It will also help bring the tiger blood eventually. The hardest part for me is getting enough veggies, especially at breakfast. 

2. EAT THE FAT. I know, I know. We've been told our whole lives how bad fat is for us. Well, it's not. Not if you follow the template, which calls for a thumb-sized portion of a compliant fat in addition to any fat used for cooking. And believe me, you will be hungry if you leave it out. "Oh, but surely skipping the fat will help me lose weight faster..." you secretly think to yourself, even though you know weight loss is not the main focus. But you think wrong, because it won't. Eat the fat! 

3. My favorite recipes are the salmon cakes with tartar sauce from the Whole30 book and Mel Joulwan's chocolate chili. But don't feel like you have to make labor-intensive recipes on a daily basis. 

4. The breakfast struggle is real. Think of it as Meal 1 instead of breakfast and eat leftovers in the morning if you're sick of eggs or don't like them to begin with. 

EAT THE FAT!  I noticed on a few postings of what folks had for breakfast that enough fat was missing.  I try to eat at least a quarter of an avocado with every meal.  They add great flavor and REALLY help you feel full longer.  

I also don't sweat repeating the same meals.  I've figured out a few that I really like, and I don't mind eating them often.    I guess my all time favorite is Hamburger patties over a big salad.  I dip the bites of hamburger into homemade mayo and it's gooooood.  Breakfast on workdays is always a chopped salad with boiled eggs and avocado, drizzled with olive oil and vinegar.  I chop everything up fairly small so it's easy to eat at my desk with a spoon.

And I never thought I would like black coffee.  Since my first whole 30 3 years ago (or 4) I have PREFER it black.  I never would have thunk it!

WOOO! My body is just starting to say "So ah, when is the sugar coming then??" And I'm like "Nope, not for a LONG time, body!"

Wish I had gotten more sleep last night, that is my secret weapon for not slipping, so I'm planning on lights out early tonight. And I plan to get some paleo bacon to make breakfast more fun tomorrow.

Hello,

This is my first Whole 30. I'm starting on January 4th. I'm a little nervous because I'm an emotional eater and snacker! I have to do this for my health though! I've had fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome for many years. I will be committed!

Started today, 1/2/18! This is my 2nd Whole 30. I only made it to day 13 last time - got a terrible cold and wanted some chicken noodle soup fast then didn't feel up to starting over. I'm certain I can stick with it this time. Good luck and Happy New Year, everyone!!!

So yeah, day 1... not to over-share, but starting my period on Day 0 made me even more bloated than normal after all the Christmas and New Year festivities, together with the usual darn abdominal pains.  Heading back to work this morning and having trouble fastening my suit pants was just lovely (not.)  Still, one cup of tea, two hard boiled eggs and a handful of baby carrots later I was at my desk  drinking black coffee and feeling virtuous that I'd brought some sweet potato and a Perfect Burger for lunch and stashed them in the office kitchen fridge.  Three hours later, I came down with the same virus that my entire department got just before the holidays and I'm now in bed, not hungry (yea?) and sipping herbal tea. I guess at least I'm still compliant!

Hang in there everyone!

It's my first day of my first whole30, and very inspiring to see whole30 veterans out there.  Joint pain is a top reason I am tackling this now - stress management, deeper and longer sleep, giving my liver a break, and of course, losing weight are also driving forces.  Good luck to all and thank you for this forum.  I'm not much for social networking, but it's nice to know I can reach out for inspiration and motivation, as I am tackling this on my own (with a very supportive husband :)).  Cheers all.

Archived