Starting Jan 8

snd9

• Moderators
8 hours ago, dee1314 said:

I recently bought this can of coconut milk at Wegmans but I just didn’t realize until now that it may contain nuts (coconut). Can anyone tell me if this is ok?C899B8F2-FA7E-474F-9A04-B85BCF8500FC.thumb.jpeg.316de50922b0345d5ea55045ae139814.jpegB700AFEA-E510-432F-B31F-27154A1F0C12.thumb.jpeg.e802888b4fe1d85a40a133ebd653df8f.jpeg

Have you read the rules?  Nuts are fine on the plan, so not sure if the concern was non compliance or if you're allergic to nuts or??

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YxLwiZc.jpg

How's everybody doing???

Feeling the stages of the timeline?

Days 12-15: Boundless energy! Now give me a damn Twinkie.

Hurray! The slump is over! Your pants fit again! Your energy levels are better than normal – you’re downright Tigger the bouncing tiger! But something weird is happening. You’re dreaming. Not crazy nightmare or strange surrealist dreams, either. Incredibly normal and realistic dreams – about donuts. Or Twinkies. Or Snickers.* In your mind, sometimes you get caught and feel guilty. Sometimes you just brazenly eat the contraband. But then, the feelings start following you into the waking hours. Suddenly, you’re craving things you don’t even like. (For me, it’s Diet Coke and Twinkies, for Melissa Hartwig, it was fast-food cheeseburgers!) Your co-workers’ heads transform into giant Girl Scout Cookies as you gaze on in disbelief. Seriously, you’ve almost hit the halfway mark, and now this?!

All joking aside, though, this phase gets really intense and for some people. This is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know. Our food relationships are deeply rooted and strongly reinforced throughout the course of our lives and breaking through them is really big deal. Journaling can be especially enlightening and helpful during this phase, and helpful for reflection later. Take some time to jot down what you’re craving, how you’re feeling and what tools you’re using to work through the cravings.

*The cravings people get, and the dreams they often have, rival those of pregnancy. One person told me they craved pickles and Doritos (together) during this phase!

https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

On 1/20/2018 at 3:56 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Have you read the rules?  Nuts are fine on the plan, so not sure if the concern was non compliance or if you're allergic to nuts or??

SugarcubeOD this was the first time I had bought this brand and I looked at the can as I was about to open it and I had doubts because it said coconut extract  then nuts. I must have had brain fog because I’ve read the rules quite a few times. Thanks. 

Good morning, everyone!  Day 15, can't believe I made it to halfway.  What a ride.  I spent all day yesterday waiting in the hospital for my niece to be born (which she was, and she's beautiful!!).  But it was a test to stay vigilant and only eat my snacks.  I was able to go down to the cafeteria at the hospital and make a good salad from the salad bar -- the only iffy was the chicken but so far no negative downsides -- with oil and vinegar and salt and pepper for a dressing.  I've come close to quitting a few times but at this point we're just going to keep going!

On 1/7/2018 at 10:24 AM, Debbie Pease said:

Today I have a lunch date with my daughter and mom so beginning today is out of the question. I will be starting tomorrow, the 8th. I am a middle school teacher. I worry about returning to the classroom on the 17th and being fully prepared with meal prep and having the patience and stamina to get through the remaining 3 weeks. 

What a gr8 opportunity to teach the kids how food affects us,  the value of good nutrition,  how to read food labels, how to avoid being "educated" by commercials, influenced by advertising, how to "vote" with your dollars and what our "new food chain" looks like. There are so many subjects that food, eating, shopping touch on that you,  as a teacher,  can help educate our children about and get them thinking and talking abt and researching. Is that the real basis of the Whole30 program, to help us pay more attention to our food, our bodies,  our health,  and our world and have better relationships with them? The other day I heard a grown woman in the grocery store saying a relative was trying to do himself in cuz he liked to eat 2 eggs a day! N now I'm seeing Weight Watchers commercials in my dreams cz they play em so much, with Oprah as their spokesperson. And when you get ill (from what your eating, shhh) you can take a medication that,  if it doesn't kill you or give u more symptoms to deal with, might make u feel better. That's how our kids are being "educated" today. So share your experience with them. Just sayin. :)

On 1/18/2018 at 2:30 PM, BecFreeby said:

She sure does!  I've loved almost everything of hers that I've tried on past W30's but these took the cake.  Even better than (gasp) guacamole!  What are some of your favorites of hers?

I make the mayo year 'round: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/
(and I've made the eggless version and it turned out well too)

Made a LOT of her chili over the years: https://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

This soup is yummy: https://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/

These meatballs were good but the rolling in coconut is kind of labor intensive so I dunno if it's worth it: https://meljoulwan.com/2013/03/05/bora-bora-fireballs/

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, kirkor said:

These meatballs were good but the rolling in coconut is kind of labor intensive so I dunno if it's worth it: https://meljoulwan.com/2013/03/05/bora-bora-fireballs/

I just put the coconut in with the rest of mixture, so it wasn't a coating, but still had the flavor -- you could probably just leave it out as well.

I loved the mayo and chili as well so it sounds like we have similar tastes :-)  I will definitely have to try those coconut meatballs, though.  @ShannonM816, thank you for the tip!

DAY 18 FRIENDS!  We only have two weekends left before we have to panic over reintro ;-)

How are we feeling?  Is anybody feeling that Tiger Blood magic? @Carrie4117 - comgratulations on becoming auntie!  Nieces are so amazingly wonderful!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AmisOtis said:

Day 19!  And...I have a cold.  This happened during my first whole 30 too.  Took a cold eeze and then spit it out when I realized it was flavored.  Checked the box and, yup, had corn syrup.  Sigh.

Any fave whole30 cold remedies out there?

https://whole30.com/2017/10/cold-flu/

6 hours ago, dee1314 said:

How are you all doing? I’m feeling pretty good

Yep yep feeling good!

Won't be continuing on with Whole30 per se, as I've been down this road several times and am now in the "ride your own bike" stage -- https://whole30.com/2012/01/ride-your-own-bike-2/ (although, I guess that's the older terminology and now they call it "food freedom" -- https://whole30.com/2016/09/what-is-food-freedom/

but, anyhoo, ya, only ~1 week to go.

Is everyone starting to think about their reintroduction schedule? It's arguably the most important part of the program, since it's where you actually get to gather data based on the baseline we've established over the 30 days of restriction; https://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

Ya the weight thing is a tricky widget. On the one hand I'm glad that eating Whole30 can result in loss of unwanted pounds for some people, but on the other hand I think since those people tend to be really vocal about it it can create unrealistic expectations for others.

Day 24 and I'm pretty tired.  I took NyQuil for two nights over the weekend and I feel that it put me back a bit. Moody and tired--I guess taking cold medicine after three weeks of clean eating can have some real side effects. Still, I now the sleep I got from the meds definitely helped me get better.  I'm excited to be finishing the last week strong, however. Hang in there, everyone!

On 1/27/2018 at 1:21 PM, DAMeek said:

Hi dee1314. I'm considering extending. I feel really good (though unfortunately right now have a cold or flu) but doubt I'll see the scale results I was hoping for.

@DAMeek I hope you’re feeling better. Gee I don’t know what happened to the other post I addressed to you. Oh well!! Whatever.  Unfortunately, I’ve also come down with a cold but I’m marchimg on and continuing ahead. It’s day 26 for me and I do feel good minus the sniffling/coughing.  It’ll be nice to have someone else along for the ride. Anyone else continuing??

@kirkorThat's easily one of my favorite movies, well played!  (golf clap).

@dee1314 I don't think I'll continue past the 30 days, but I do plan to switch to Paleo 80/20.  This is one of the only whole30's where I am not trying to talk myself in to quitting "just a few days early"... because I don't wanna!  I've been TERRIBLE the last few days about meal planning and the food boredom is definitely rearing it's obnoxious head but my philosophy has been to keep it simple.  Last night was simple steamed veggies and two hot dogs. This morning, sweet potato with coconut, (not as much as it should have been) spinach and an egg.  I have had a really crappy week so my life motivation is pretty low but I do feel the other benefits so I am pushing through.  I can't believe we are under the one week mark... only 5 days left, whaaaaaaa?

@AmisOtisIf you don't yet own a good diffuser, I highly recommend.  I had a baby cold about 4 weeks ago and my diffuser was a god send.  Plus, you can use them when you're not sick and they make your house smell like you baked pie even when you're mid whole30 and pieless :-)  I hope you're on the upswing, I am SUPER proud of you for pushing through sickness.  It is such a testament to your conviction and self control!

Who's got a roasted chicken recipe that's mindblowingly delicious?  I bought one in an attempt to push past boredom and then idiotically realized I have literally no idea how to cook.  I could trust the google but I prefer my whole30-ers.  Lay it on me!

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, BecFreeby said:

Who's got a roasted chicken recipe that's mindblowingly delicious?  I bought one in an attempt to push past boredom and then idiotically realized I have literally no idea how to cook.  I could trust the google but I prefer my whole30-ers.  Lay it on me!

BRINE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never, ever, ever cook a chicken without brining it. It's the difference between eating filet mignon and eating your shoe.

I do a super easy brine which is salt + water. That's it. So put a golf balled sized amount of kosher salt (use less if table salt) into a ziplock bag. Fill about halfway with warm water and swoosh around until the salt is dissolved. Put your chicken in the bag and fill the rest of the way with warm water. Put the whole works in a bowl in your fridge. If your chicken is frozen, put it in the bag frozen. Doesn't matter.

If you DO have a whole chicken that is not frozen, I would recommend cutting the backbone out of it first (spatchcocking) so that it lays flat and cooks more evenly.  You literally just cut the spine out of it with a sharp scissors or knife (be careful!). This allows it to fit into a ziplock bag better also. You can brine overnight or all day or 3 hours or even 30 minutes. Literally any amount of brining is better than none. My instagram post below about brining - and shows a spatchcocked chicken.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

BRINE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never, ever, ever cook a chicken without brining it. It's the difference between eating filet mignon and eating your shoe.

I do a super easy brine which is salt + water. That's it. So put a golf balled sized amount of kosher salt (use less if table salt) into a ziplock bag. Fill about halfway with warm water and swoosh around until the salt is dissolved. Put your chicken in the bag and fill the rest of the way with warm water. Put the whole works in a bowl in your fridge. If your chicken is frozen, put it in the bag frozen. Doesn't matter.

If you DO have a whole chicken that is not frozen, I would recommend cutting the backbone out of it first (spatchcocking) so that it lays flat and cooks more evenly.  You literally just cut the spine out of it with a sharp scissors or knife (be careful!). This allows it to fit into a ziplock bag better also. You can brine overnight or all day or 3 hours or even 30 minutes. Literally any amount of brining is better than none. My instagram post below about brining - and shows a spatchcocked chicken.

hahah!  I knew you were going to come along with this exact recommendation which is why I only gave links to cooking methods ;)

On 1/18/2018 at 1:30 PM, BecFreeby said:

She sure does!  I've loved almost everything of hers that I've tried on past W30's but these took the cake.  Even better than (gasp) guacamole!  What are some of your favorites of hers?

Oh I gotta get in on the "praise Mel Joulwan" bandwagon!  You talking about the fried chicken meatballs I take it?  I made a batch of those last night.   Her meatza pie is a staple for me now, just had one for lunch.   Italian Sausage and Eggplant Strata I make about every two weeks; Garlic-Balsamic Grilled Butternut a regular veggie feature; I like her Cincinnati Style Chili but have yet to make the other one.  Her The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat. Ever is pretty damned good too, if a fair amount of time/work.  I can link to these if you have any trouble finding them, but the search function on her site works well...

She's fun to read as well.

On 1/24/2018 at 11:11 AM, kirkor said:

I make the mayo year 'round: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/
(and I've made the eggless version and it turned out well too)

I had the audacity (blasphemy??) to modify Mel's Mayo Method (not the method actually, but I couldn't resist the alliteration.) :lol:  Actually, just an alternate version - I simply add a teaspoon of chipotle powder (Sprout's has a store brand that is good and cost effective) - and it is wonderful.  You can use it on...  wait for it...  EVERYTHING.  Seriously, it really does make everything better.  I always have a batch in my fridge...

Archived