Little House on the Whole30 Prairie

kirkor

Cast Iron cookware is not recommended for radiant smooth  glass cooktops. If the cookware has a burr or rough spot, it will scratch the glass surface. Additionally, it is slow to absorb heat. Once this type of cookware heats up, especially on high heat, it holds an intense amount of heat which is transferred to the cooktop. This can cause the element to shut down as a response to the temperature limiters which indicate surface temperature is too high for cooktop components to handle.

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=16259

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/4/2018 at 6:01 PM, kirkor said:

it will help "ladder" food across meals: roast chicken to cold chicken to chicken soup (not sure what this process is actually called? Seems like it's a separate concept from just "using leftovers")

fNjbwYW.jpg

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Wow, impressive pictorial construct there.  Time weighs heavy in Wyoming I'm guessing :lol: 

I was JUST going to say ...'dude, are you bored?'. That's pretty awesome tho buddy!  I've done this in the past too, only I get one of those old hens and then stew her for 4 hours with the usual stewing veggies, pick the white meat off and then back in the pot she goes for another 3 or 4... The bones are stripped and mushy veggies composted and then the brown meat goes back in with whatever veggies and seasonings to make that week's soup... White meat becomes chicken salad or stir fry and soup becomes lunch for 5 days and I freeze whatever is left!

Also, in your 'lunch the next day' pic, is that just a big handful of pickle spears?  Because if so, I think I love you!  Pickles are my fave!

3 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Time weighs heavy

The title of my autobiography!

48 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Also, in your 'lunch the next day' pic, is that just a big handful of pickle spears?  Because if so, I think I love you!  Pickles are my fave!

Yes ma'am! Pickle pals!!

On 1/4/2018 at 6:01 PM, kirkor said:

Menu will be repeated on a weekly basis.  I've always like the idea of "Tuesday is pot roast night", for example, and this is a great opportunity to see how that plays out.

Took pics all week, and so here's the compilation! So with this month it's this exact same menu x 4 ... (for the extra 2 days at the end I'll just use some of the extra salmon and chicken from my initial shopping trip where I bought "family size" packages) (click on it for a bigger version if you're so inclined)

SrpkDZyl.jpg

Well, my lovelies, gather 'round while I tell you a tale of frontier life

I've mentioned in other threads how my work life can be somewhat sporadic and catch-as-catch-can.  Well, the other day I got a request to go work for another branch of the company on the other side of the state for this upcoming week.
Yes, in the midst of this Whole30, upon which I placed additional restrictions/considerations because I'm a nerd and get a kick out of being weird, I am now faced with staying in a hotel for 7 days and 6 nights. 19 meals on the road, from my stash of food I purchased 3 weeks ago.

BUT!  It actually kind of makes sense for my Little House on the Prairie theme!  Because, with pioneer life, sometimes you gotta go where the work is.

h93ftAb.jpg

b9kizBB.png

This will be my kitchen for the next week:

gcrTx6d.jpg

I changed things up a bit to accommodate this change.  Roasted my chicken yesterday instead of tonight, portioned out 2 meals worth, then went ahead and made the soup. Pre-cooked my roast a little bit so that I can cook it in the electric skillet later this week. Brought the George Foreman as well.  The skillet has proven to be kind of twitchy with regard to temperature regulation, so I wanted a backup. Also already realized I didn't bring a dish scrubber or a plate. :rolleyes:
Thought about doing an egg casserole thing for the week, but really, with the skillet, I can still make the hot breakfast each morning before work, and also the whole 'making real breakfast before early a.m. work' thing is one of the features I wanted to see through this W30.

An AirBnB with a real kitchen would have been ideal, of course, but the ones that were available were too expensive.

Worst part of all this? Not getting to take advantage of the company per diem to treat myself to a week of restaurants! :P

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kirkor said:

Well, my lovelies, gather 'round while I tell you a tale of frontier life

I've mentioned in other threads how my work life can be somewhat sporadic and catch-as-catch-can.  Well, the other day I got a request to go work for another branch of the company on the other side of the state for this upcoming week.
Yes, in the midst of this Whole30, upon which I placed additional restrictions/considerations because I'm a nerd and get a kick out of being weird, I am now faced with staying in a hotel for 7 days and 6 nights. 19 meals on the road, from my stash of food I purchased 3 weeks ago.

BUT!  It actually kind of makes sense for my Little House on the Prairie theme!  Because, with pioneer life, sometimes you gotta go where the work is.

h93ftAb.jpg

b9kizBB.png

gcrTx6d.jpg

I changed things up a bit to accommodate this change.  Roasted my chicken yesterday instead of tonight, portioned out 2 meals worth, then went ahead and made the soup. Pre-cooked my roast a little bit so that I can cook it in the electric skillet later this week. Brought the George Foreman as well.  The skillet has proven to be kind of twitchy with regard to temperature regulation, so I wanted a backup.
Thought about doing an egg casserole thing for the week, but really, with the skillet, I can still make the hot breakfast each morning before work, and also the whole 'making real breakfast before early a.m. work' thing is one of the features I wanted to see through this W30.

An AirBnB with a real kitchen would have been ideal, of course, but the ones that were available were too expensive.

Worst part of all this? Not getting to take advantage of the company per diem to treat myself to a week of restaurants! :P

Already realized I didn't bring a dish scrubber, 

You're one very cool dood!  Seriously!  I admire your commitment and persistance!  But I have one very important question... I dont see the pickles in this pic...?

9 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You're one very cool dood!  Seriously!  I admire your commitment and persistance!  But I have one very important question... I dont see the pickles in this pic...?

Hahaha they're in the container in the upper right of the fridge! 

0ozOadz.jpg

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kirkor said:

Hahaha they're in the container in the upper right of the fridge! 

0ozOadz.jpg

OH Phew! ;)  You had me worried!  I had compliant roast beef from my favorite deli wrapped around pickles and dipped in grainy mustard for 'dinner' last night... I"m sure you would have loved it! ;) 

On 1/28/2018 at 7:33 PM, kirkor said:

<snip>

gcrTx6d.jpg

I changed things up a bit to accommodate this change.  Roasted my chicken yesterday instead of tonight, portioned out 2 meals worth, then went ahead and made the soup. Pre-cooked my roast a little bit so that I can cook it in the electric skillet later this week. Brought the George Foreman as well.  The skillet has proven to be kind of twitchy with regard to temperature regulation, so I wanted a backup. Also already realized I didn't bring a dish scrubber or a plate. :rolleyes:

Tip o' the Whole30 hat for the dedication!

I have a George Foreman grill and I use it often for chicken, and the occasional bunless burger.  My kitchen is outfitted with reasonably high end (Dacor) burners and such, but that simple GF thing does chicken great.  And my model has detachable plates for easy clean up.  

Oh, and tomorrow is my day 30 - but that is hardly even remotely interesting in this context ;)  

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Jim4884 said:

Oh, and tomorrow is my day 30 - but that is hardly even remotely interesting in this context ;)  

Always interesting!  Congrats on your 30 days Jim!!

I'll send you a pickle bouquet to celebr... wait... you don't like pickles?  Well I guess congrats anyway... weirdo ;)

I don't think I ever posted here about my September trip to Hungary.  It was post Whole30, and despite dramatic health gains due to Whole 30, re-intro's didn't show that I have any short term immediate problems with non-compliant food, so it didn't seem so relevant.  I rented an apartment in Budapest for two weeks, and I intentionally chose one with a kitchen.  It turned out to be not nearly as well equipped as I had hoped, but this story of insufficient research on my part (laziness, no other word for it) has a happy ending.  It was SO easy to get Whole 30 compliant, or at least mostly Whole 30 compliant food eating out in Budapest and environs.  Everything there is cooked in olive oil, and salads with meat, platefuls of grilled meat and veggies, etc, are EASY to find.  I couldn't believe the dramatic difference in what I ate there, versus previous (many) trips to France, Italy, etc.  The one night I had an outrageously good gourmet Italian meal with wine pairings, (and cheese and pasta and dessert and Headmistress Hartwig knows what else) was the one night my nearly forgotten off and on bad nighttime heartburn recurred.  But it was worth it :lol:  Once.  

(by the way, that's an awfully cute and sassy new avatar there Sugar!)  meant as a compliment...

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Jim4884 said:

I don't think I ever posted here about my September trip to Hungary.  It was post Whole30, and despite dramatic health gains due to Whole 30, re-intro's didn't show that I have any short term immediate problems with non-compliant food, so it didn't seem so relevant.  I rented an apartment in Budapest for two weeks, and I intentionally chose one with a kitchen.  It turned out to be not nearly as well equipped as I had hoped, but this story of insufficient research on my part (laziness, no other word for it) has a happy ending.  It was SO easy to get Whole 30 compliant, or at least mostly Whole 30 compliant food eating out in Budapest and environs.  Everything there is cooked in olive oil, and salads with meat, platefuls of grilled meat and veggies, etc, are EASY to find.  I couldn't believe the dramatic difference in what I ate there, versus previous (many) trips to France, Italy, etc.  The one night I had an outrageously good gourmet Italian meal with wine pairings, (and cheese and pasta and dessert and Headmistress Hartwig knows what else) was the one night my nearly forgotten off and on bad nighttime heartburn recurred.  But it was worth it :lol:  Once.  

(by the way, that's an awfully cute and sassy new avatar there Sugar!)  meant as a compliment...

While I"m sure there is crappy food in every corner of our planet, it sure does seem like it's easier to get true food outside of Canada and the US... I've always had what I thought was a sensitive stomach (which now turns out to be that it's just it doesn't like certain foods - I"m looking at you dairy and wheat!) and Thailand and Singapore are two of the places I"ve been where I found that I could eat pretty much anything off a menu and not worry... even in Singapore where they have the hawker parks, my favorite meal was Oyster Omlette (like the one linked but no flour as far as I recall - I watched the guy make it right in front of me which was a show in itself!).  I can think back now and remember being confused as to why a high fat hawker meal didn't turn my 'sensitive stomach' but a burger at home did... it all became clear years later! ;)

Thanks for the compliment... I blush :wub:

PoLpAzG.jpg

Some notes from the chuck wagon:

• I couldn't keep the broccoli and spinach frozen.  Tried at first keeping them in the cooler with ice rather than the fridge, but still not cold enough.  So they're soggy now but it's okay since I'm cooking them anyway.
  • Forgot to bring a plate so I've been eating out of the Tupperware containers I packed the various pre-prepped items in. (Do lots of people use "tupperware" as a generic term for "plastic food storage container"?)
  • Eggs in the microwave don't taste quite as good as cast iron skillet-cooked ones, but it is nice not having to deal with the stuck on pan bits and the dirty glass stove top as I mentioned earlier in the thread.
  • Par-cooking the roast worked well.
  • Tonight I'll be cooking chicken thighs and drumsticks ... might do the legs in the electric skillet and the thighs on the Foreman?  Actually haven't used the Foreman at all yet.
  • Not utilizing my per diem for espressos and restaurants has indeed sucked as much as I thought it would.

because I'm a nerd and get a kick out of being weird,

I totally forgot to give this snippet of verbiage a big thumbs up.  

On 2/2/2018 at 9:48 PM, kirkor said:

Gotta come back a night early!

MR3PMkB.jpg

and I've commented elsewhere about my NSV of learning to love vegetables/taste buds changing.  A year ago, the chicken/broccoli picture would have been ho-hum to me.  Now, it looks DELICIOUS.  Hope that the fact that I'm cleaning saliva off of my keyboard isn't TMI :lol: 

Kirkor

You always do the most incredible, creative W30s and are always successful.  You have a big following.  Looking forward to following your next Kirkor W30.  Do you maintain your weight within a few pounds?  Do you ever deviate far from the w30 or have you established your own Food Freedom?

Well, so that's another Whole30 in the bag. Some wrap-up notes:

Everything I ate came from the single shopping trip on Day 0.  My pre-planning worked out pretty much spot-on for quantities; I have a few salmon filets and several tablespoons of ghee left.

It was neat not to spend any money on food for a whole month.  I should try to get less than $7/day more often.

Favorite meal was the chicken soup I had 3x per week.  It had lots of brothy gelatinous goodness!!

0 snacks
0 nuts
0 fruit

Maintained my active lifestyle with just the 3x meals per day: very physical day job, recreational snow shoeing and non-recreational snow shoveling (;)), working out both weights and cardio.

Meals often ended up 7 hours apart due to my schedule.

Kept my goal of freshly made hot breakfast each morning.  But, screw that.  Breakfast did nothing for me.  I'm back to IF as of Day 31.

Only beverage consumed was water.  Missed coffee as I usually do when I forego it for a month.  Haven't brought it back yet but probably will later this week.

Week in the hotel wasn't too bad.

Rotating weekly meal plan worked well.  I had nice variety throughout the week and never became bored or had any other negative associations with any of the foods (even the same egg breakfast every day).

Super Bowl was a little rough as far as cravings go. My comments here.

I might have lost a little weight.  I didn't weigh before or after, but things in the mirror are possibly looking a bit more svelte.

Dutch ovens are cool. Roasting chickens and making stock and then soup all in the same pot was fun. Never did end up using the crock pot.

• Moderators

What a great experiment!  It really does go to show that you don't need to spend a lot of money, you don't need fancy ingredients or fancy gadgets and you can more than sufficiently feed yourself for an entire month!

I also love that you're not only a Pickle Pal but I love when I see people do the soup thing!  It's so easy, makes a ton, tastes great, hot and nourishing!  I sometimes mourn soup season in spring/summer for not only how good it is but the ease with which you can knock five or six meals out of a whole week just with the one prep item!

Very good job and thanks for inviting us along with you to The Little House on the Whole30 Prairie!! 

Archived